Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoNuff07

Howard County Football 2017

555 posts in this topic

Yes, Long Reach is bringing back quite a few starters.  They should make a run for County and their region.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Yes, Long Reach is bringing back quite a few starters.  They should make a run for County and their region.

They have to replace QB Tyler Raines (Towson), WR's J.Hall & E.Ekop (Stevenson), LB Greg Benton (Army), DT D. McKinney(Shaw). And from what I've been hearing they have two 6'4 200lb + Soph that will be in the starting rotation on both sides of the ball. Long Reach will be interesting to see this year. I good sign on how their season will go starts on the 24th when they travel down to Dunbar to scrimmage.

Offense

All 5 starting OL (4 Seniors,1 Junior)

RB

3 WR

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I know a couple of players transferred out of Howard County:

Jr Walter Nelson WR Mt Hebron 2nd Team All Howard County - Gwynn Park

Jr Mason Lunsford OL Marriots Ridge 6' 6" 300lbs - Good Counsel

Sr Aaron Gibson QB  Oakland Mills - Avalon

 

Edited by ShoNuff07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2017 at 10:47 PM, ECF said:

They have to replace QB Tyler Raines (Towson), WR's J.Hall & E.Ekop (Stevenson), LB Greg Benton (Army), DT D. McKinney(Shaw). And from what I've been hearing they have two 6'4 200lb + Soph that will be in the starting rotation on both sides of the ball. Long Reach will be interesting to see this year. I good sign on how their season will go starts on the 24th when they travel down to Dunbar to scrimmage.

Offense

All 5 starting OL (4 Seniors,1 Junior)

RB

3 WR

 

You have a good squad coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be one of the more unpredictable years in HOCO. We have 3 power teams and a few quality teams right behind them. New coaches. Top end Talent. What a wonderful time of year!

 

My Power Rankings

Howard

Long Reach

Glenelg

Reservoir

River Hill

Marriotts Ridge

Atholton

Wilde Lake

Oakland MIlls

Hammond

Mt Hebron

Centennial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 8/11/2017 at 9:20 PM, MDSOCCER said:

This might be one of the more unpredictable years in HOCO. We have 3 power teams and a few quality teams right behind them. New coaches. Top end Talent. What a wonderful time of year!

 

My Power Rankings

Howard

Long Reach

Glenelg

Reservoir

River Hill

Marriotts Ridge

Atholton

Wilde Lake

Oakland MIlls

Hammond

Mt Hebron

Centennial

I couldn't agree more.  There is no clear-cut favorite to win the County Championship.

Long Reach returns the most talent and perhaps has the top passing game along with a very opportunistic defense. But whether they win the county championship or not, thanks to the make up of the 3A-East (http://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/Region_Alignments_17-19.pdf) they have the easiest path to the State Final Four than Howard or Glenelg. They have a pretty good chance at winning their first ever playoff game.

With HoCo OPOY Jr RB Wande Owens returning, Glenelg will have the County's top running game, which eats up the clock while limiting their opponents fewer offensive possessions.  This forces teams to then panic and throw more when down 2 or more scores, usually not the strong point of most high school teams.

Howard is just a little more balanced of the "power" group, returning a solid running/passing game and plays solid defense. County Champs or not, its going to be a rough road in the 4A-North to get back to the State Final Four.

Last year Reservoir lost their 1st 6 games which 4 of the 6 losses were by 7 points or less.  After winning their final 4 games this team easily could have been 8-2 and the top seed in the 3A East playoffs. This Fall I am sure they will keep the ball in the hands of Senior SB Ebissa Sambo (Navy commit) as much as possible.  They have an outside shot of winning county and a decent shot at winning the 3A-East Region.

And then there's River Hill, a team that most of us thought would have issues even making it to .500 last year with their very young/small roster that was missing dual-threat QB Brett Shaw for the season. But late in the year they traveled to Atholton and hit em with their "kabuki mist" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7tdM0wyPJU) during Atholton's Homecoming and 50th Anniversary celebration to sneak into the playoffs AND hit high-powered Long Reach with that same "mist" to steal some valuable playoff experience for this small squad. River Hill won't play Howard, so they "should" gain an extra win and has an outside shot at winning the county championship. But I am not sure if they can come out of a fairly stacked 2A-South Region.  But then again...we ARE talking about River Hill.....

 

 

Edited by ShoNuff07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, ShoNuff07 said:

...There is no clear-cut favorite to win the County Championship....

What I LOVE about public football; that box of Forest Gump's chocolates.....  :P 

The better 4A programs want to be the one to unseat Wise rather than just being a punching bag on the Puma's schedule.  But as Omar of the Wire once said, "...if you came at the king, you best not miss..."

Football, public style....where the hoodies come out to play.

Edited by DayWalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Pindell (OM) has taken the starting quarterback job at UConn. The '14 Baltimore Sun POY is coming off a sophomore campaign at Lackawanna where he threw for 157-247 (63.6%), for 2424 yards, 31 touchdowns, 7 interceptions. In '14, Pindell accpunted for 3,347 yards and 44 touchdowns for the Scorpions, who averaged 42.5 points per game, 2nd most all-time in HoCo history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:D  '14 The DayWalker POY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howard's Winston Delattidoubere gave HoCo the POY/DPOY sweep in the Sun in '14, recording 42 tackles for loss and 17.5 sacks for the Lions. The last to win either POY from HoCo was Campanaro. DeLattidoubere played all 13 games for Minnesota as a freshman last season, starting 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Word on the street is Centennials numbers are very low may be cancelling their season. I hope that is not true, but my sources are pretty strong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MDSOCCER said:

Word on the street is Centennials numbers are very low may be cancelling their season. I hope that is not true, but my sources are pretty strong. 

If that happens what happen to kids at the school that wants to play? Do they get to play for another schoool?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MDSOCCER said:

Word on the street is Centennials numbers are very low may be cancelling their season. I hope that is not true, but my sources are pretty strong. 

I just heard the same thing! Wow very unfortunate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, city40blast said:

If that happens what happen to kids at the school that wants to play? Do they get to play for another schoool?

Great question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can play for another school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So does anyone knows what happens with the 10 teams that are scheduled to play Centennial if they back out of the season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be a lot of 9-game seasons Sho....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/14/2017 at 10:43 PM, themamba said:

David Pindell (OM) has taken the starting quarterback job at UConn. The '14 Baltimore Sun POY is coming off a sophomore campaign at Lackawanna where he threw for 157-247 (63.6%), for 2424 yards, 31 touchdowns, 7 interceptions. In '14, Pindell accounted for 3,347 yards and 44 touchdowns for the Scorpions, who averaged 42.5 points per game, 2nd most all-time in HoCo history.

 

On 8/15/2017 at 4:42 AM, DayWalker said:

:D  '14 The DayWalker POY

 

On 8/15/2017 at 3:15 PM, themamba said:

Howard's Winston Delattidoubere gave HoCo the POY/DPOY sweep in the Sun in '14, recording 42 tackles for loss and 17.5 sacks for the Lions. The last to win either POY from HoCo was Campanaro. DeLattidoubere played all 13 games for Minnesota as a freshman last season, starting 5.

This is a true story.  That summer before the 2014 season Howard held a 5-team scrimmage, which included the high-powered offense of Oakland Mills, a team that were not on Howard's regular season schedule.  So since "Da U", the nickname Howard's defense gave themselves, were turned down in their request to scrimmage a private school, particularly Georgetown Prep, they started begging to scrimmage Oakland Mills.  Of course they were told "No way". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The best QB I've seen in HoCo in 40 years. Threw the best ball, by far. Running ability too - 21 rushing TD's his senior year. Filling out the top 4 - Chet Gee (Oakland Mills '79, Duke), Jim Traber (Wilde Lake '79, Oklahoma State), and Tony Coates (Oakland Mills '82, Northwestern). Of course, Gee and Traber met in the most storied game in county history, week 10 in '78.

Gee scored the game-winning TD v Wilde Lake his junior year in week 10, then rushed for 102 yards v the arch rival in '78 his senior year, completing a 10-0 regular season. Gee averaged 10.5 yards per carry his senior season, 20.9 yards per completion. Was named Duke's top DB his senior season, before playing for 5 years in the USFL for the Jacksonville Bulls. Gee was tragically killed in a car accident 20 years ago, in the Spring of '97.

A year after graduating from the sacred grounds on Kilimanjaro, Gee's younger brother, Darryl, was drafted #2 overall in the 1980 NASL draft, and was aquired by the world reknown New York Cosmos on draft day, putting the prodigy on the pitch with some of the top players in the world, such as Giorgio Chinaglia (Italy) and Franz Beckenbauer (Germany).

Edited by themamba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man oh Man.....where do you get all this info....MAN!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My other alias, given by others, is 'Rain Man'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, themamba said:

My other alias, given by others, is 'Rain Man'.

Damn, so that means if I asked you for the next MegaMillions winning numbers then you'll give me a bunch of letters Rain Man.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0