Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoNuff07

Howard County Football 2017

632 posts in this topic

On 11/9/2017 at 9:12 AM, HY3:13 said:

I think when the dust has settled and the playoffs are over.....Howard and River Hill meets in a park and settle the score for the REAL HOCO 2017 Champ!!

I bet the Howard kids are focused on getting rings.

Sherwood 9  Howard 7 at the half. 

Sherwoods td was a 95 yard pick 6. Howard returned the ensuing kick off 85 yds for a td. Sherwood added a fg just before the end of the half. Howard has 3 turnovers and Sherwood has committed about 7 penalties.

1 seed! See ya! Man, the playoffs are unforgiving. Or should I say, Can Man?

Howard finally puts a nice 75 td drive together after stopping Sherwood on 4th down. 2pt conversion was no good.13-9 Howard.

Then on ensuing drive Sherwood fumbles on their own 35 and Howard scores after the short drive. 20-9 Howard with 9 minutes to go.

Wild ending to the Howard game. Sherwood nearly erases an 11 point deficit with 3-1/2 minutes left in the game but their 2-pt conversion pass goes off the receivers fingertips. Howard survives 4 turnovers and hangs on for the 20-18 win.

Overall, another good night for HoCo. Both 3A teams, 3 and 4 seed Long Reach and Atholton go on the road and win in AACo and down by the shore, respectively. Howard holds off a late run by Sherwood. To add, HoCo shows its depth with Glenelg's win over previously undefeated River Hill.

Congrats Long Reach for winning your 1st playoff game!

Edited by ShoNuff07

Nice game for Pindell against #18 Central Florida yesterday, despite the 49-24 loss. Hit 18-31 passes for 200+ yards, with 2 TDs and 1 INT (WR didn't complete route). Ran for 96 yards on 21 carries and a score. Was running for his life. D gave up 519 yards. Great to see a QB from Maryland put up 300 yards and account for 3 scores against a nationally ranked team, even in a loss. Just a great talent.

Edited by themamba

14 hours ago, themamba said:

Nice game for Pindell against #18 Central Florida yesterday, despite the 49-24 loss. Hit 18-31 passes for 200+ yards, with 2 TDs and 1 INT (WR didn't complete route). Ran for 96 yards on 21 carries and a score. Was running for his life. D gave up 519 yards. Great to see a QB from Maryland put up 300 yards and account for 3 scores against a nationally ranked team, even in a loss. Just a great talent.

Totally forgot he  was there.  Thanks for the update!

Regional Championships will be crowned today. Hoco will have at least 1 winner for sure, with the possibility for 3. 

Atholton v Long Reach: Its very hard to beat a good team twice. Glenelg and River Hill are a prime example. I think Atholton takes this game, but it will be very close. Atholton 21 Long Reach 20

Glenelg v Thomas Stone: I have no information on Thomas Stone except they play in an average league in Charles county. They didn't exactly blow anybody out. I think this is a very winnable game for Glenelg. I am basing this purely on scores. Glenelg has a healthy Wande and took care of business against a good team in RH. Glenelg 28 Thomas Stone 14

Howard v Paint Branch: This will be the  best team Howard has played by far. They have passed every test this year. They played their worst game of the year against Sherwood though. If they turn the ball over 4 times they will lose this game. Paint Branch is ground and pound type of tea which I think actually matches up well for Howard. I think Howard got their "bad" game out of the way last week and they return to form and win this game. Howard 28 Paint Branch 14

HoCo crowns 3 regional champions! Goes 5-0 v OOC in the playoffs, 4-0 on the road.

This is the 9th time HoCo has multiple regional champions in a season (fourth in a row), but first one with 3.

'80 - Mt Hebron, Centennial

'82 - Oakland Mills (runner-up), Mt Hebron (runner-up)

'90 - Wilde Lake (state champions), Oakland Mills

'07 - River Hill (state champions), Wilde Lake

'08 - River Hill (state champions), Wilde Lake (runner-up)

'14 - Howard, Glenelg

'15 - Howard (runner-up), Reservoir

'16 - Howard, Glenelg

'17 - Howard, Long Reach, Glenelg

A HUGE shout out to Paint Branch, who show nothing but class by holding a moment of silence in honor LB Ryan Kearney's father, who passed away this morning. Nothing but respect for that program!

Edited by ShoNuff07

52 minutes ago, ShoNuff07 said:

A HUGE shout out to Paint Branch, who show nothing but class by holding a moment of silence in honor LB Ryan Kearney's father, who passed away this morning. Nothing but respect for that program!

Now that is what sports should be all about!  Congratulations to Paint Branch on a great season and for the class they displayed tonight!

2A South Regional Championship

Glenelg 27 at Thomas Stone 19  - http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-football-atholton-long-reach-regional-final-20171117-story.html      (At the bottom of the Atholton/Long Reach story)

3A East Regional Championship

Atholton 0 at Long Reach 37 - http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-football-atholton-long-reach-regional-final-20171117-story.html

4A North Regional Championship

Howard 33 at Paint Branch 20 - http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-football-paint-branch-howard-20171117-story.html

Edited by ShoNuff07

9 hours ago, themamba said:

This is the 9th time HoCo has multiple regional champions in a season (fourth in a row), but first one with 3.

'80 - Mt Hebron, Centennial

'82 - Oakland Mills (runner-up), Mt Hebron (runner-up)

'90 - Wilde Lake (state champions), Oakland Mills

'07 - River Hill (state champions), Wilde Lake

'08 - River Hill (state champions), Wilde Lake (runner-up)

'14 - Howard, Glenelg

'15 - Howard (runner-up), Reservoir

'16 - Howard, Glenelg

'17 - Howard, Long Reach, Glenelg

So with 3 teams making it to the State Semis and another team (River Hill) finish the regular season undefeated do you guys still believe that Ho Co Football is down this year?

1 minute ago, ShoNuff07 said:

So with 3 teams making it to the State Semis and another team (River Hill) finish the regular season undefeated do you guys still believe that Ho Co Football is down this year?

I think its down everywhere, in my opinion. HoCo is one of the top 5 leagues every year, so its relative. The 5-0 playoff record v OOC opponents is impressive. Even more impressive is the 4-0 record on the road.

I did have both Atholton and Long Reach as favorites in the first round, despite being on the road, based on HoCo being a stronger league than both Bayside and AACo. Having said that, Howard's win at Paint Branch was impressive, a week after the Lions survived 4 turnovers and still beat Sherwood. Glenelg's win over Thomas Stone, at Thomas Stone, was impressive as well.

I do have all 3 HoCo teams losing this week, with Howard and Glenelg as prohibitive underdogs (25-35 points), with Long Reach an underdog as well.

Do you think the overall play is up this year?

38 minutes ago, themamba said:

I think its down everywhere, in my opinion. HoCo is one of the top 5 leagues every year, so its relative. The 5-0 playoff record v OOC opponents is impressive. Even more impressive is the 4-0 record on the road.

I did have both Atholton and Long Reach as favorites in the first round, despite being on the road, based on HoCo being a stronger league than both Bayside and AACo. Having said that, Howard's win at Paint Branch was impressive, a week after the Lions survived 4 turnovers and still beat Sherwood. Glenelg's win over Thomas Stone, at Thomas Stone, was impressive as well.

I do have all 3 HoCo teams losing this week, with Howard and Glenelg as prohibitive underdogs (25-35 points), with Long Reach an underdog as well.

Do you think the overall play is up this year?

I CAN'T say "up" with 3 teams finishing at 1-8 in county play.  But I must admit had Howard and Glenelg lost in their regional finals I probably would have agreed with you all.  But with their respective wins I believe they salvaged the county play.

My eyes say the quality of football is down in HoCo.  The success of HoCo teams (in addition to Howard's dominant run, Glenelg has won 3 regional championships over the past 4 seasons) tells that the quality of HS football in Maryland public schools is down in general.  Maybe the privates have gotten better at identifying talented kids or maybe participation is down.  IDK.  My eyes said the county was pretty bad this season with the exception of Howard & RH.  HoCo's 3rd and 4th best teams just won regional championships... Seems implausible.

With Howard meeting Wise for the 3rd straight year, just wanted to point out that from 2015 to now Howard is 36-3 with 2 losses to Wise (the other was to Glenelg).  If they should lose again in blowout fashion to Wise... I would hope this would raise some questions. 

From 2014 to now, Howard is 48-4.  That includes wins vs. Sherwood (2x), Paint Branch (2x), Perry Hall, Bel Air, Mervo (2x), & Broadneck, as well as a 10-3 loss to Old Mill in the 2014 State Semi-final.  So howard us 9-1 vs. 4A teams not named Wise.  Vs. Wise, two huge blowout losses. 

Seems like someone has an advantage somehow.  Would love to see a more level playing field.