Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoNuff07

Howard County Football 2017

628 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, ECF said:

Good to hear... I also heard if they decide to not field a team, that they will at least play the first game to not screw the rest of the league like they did last year.

That is good to hear. Part of the frustration I think last year was the "solution" and the fact that John Davis bent over backwards to accommodate Centennial who screwed app royally, but hurt the schools that take care of business. 

11 minutes ago, ECF said:

Good to hear... I also heard if they decide to not field a team, that they will at least play the first game to not screw the rest of the league like they did last year.

So, theý are going to try, like last year? The one game thing seems as though there is one foot in the door, one foot out. If they do the one game thing, it would probably be more beneficial to the other 9 opponents that they had never played at all. The safety issue wouldn't be removed for that one game. Sure, its a win, but its also a unnecessary bye week, when an actual game would serve the respective HoCo teams much better. The fall-back forfeit is something they didn't have last year, and a good thing, but my confidence in Centennial fielding a football team, after reading this article and these additional comments, hasn't risen any from last week, when it appeared to up in the air. Sounds like it still is, albeit they have another coach to catch it, if it falls from the sky. I'm all for not giving up on the program, just not convinced there are enough James' and Joseph's, much less Jimmie's and Joe's, to field such a program.

Damn, you make it sound like everyone in HoCo would be better off if Centennial had just left things ( them folding ) as it was....  Well expressed opinion.

11 hours ago, ECF said:

11 hours ago, MDSOCCER said:

That is good to hear. Part of the frustration I think last year was the "solution" and the fact that John Davis bent over backwards to accommodate Centennial who screwed app royally, but hurt the schools that take care of business. 

I am having an issue with this one now.  I was one to believe this could have been an option last year.  But after seeing their JV team filled with juniors only winning 1 game makes me think they will not be ready to play against varsity teams this fall.  I am thinking this could be a safety issue.  But I do agree, the head County Athletic guy REALLY messed up by letting the situation go into August, which handcuffed the rest of the county teams.

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

Damn, you make it sound like everyone in HoCo would be better off if Centennial had just left things ( them folding ) as it was....  Well expressed opinion.

I hate to say it DW, but I kinda feel the same way.  Had the JV went 4-4 or better I would have some hope for the program.  But they folded last year not because they didn't have enough players, it was about they did not have enough varsity-caliber players.  For this season I would request to play in a home-schooled league OR allow juniors to play JV once more and allow the seniors to play at River Hill, which I believe is the closest school.

Do they play basketball, soccer, volleyball, and other team sports at Centennial; only football is out?

39 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Do they play basketball, soccer, volleyball, and other team sports at Centennial; only football is out?

Oh yeah...they come out and play these sports....

I hope the Eagles can field a competitive team, it just seems, aside from naming a coach, possibly tentatively, that things are still up in the air. They should have a good idea by now, heading into February, of what they'll be working with, and is that sufficient enough. I have two nephews (basketball) and a niece (golf, track) that go there, and a sister that teaches and has led their business department there for the last 16 years.

Its funny, the three other sports you mention. The Eagles won the state title in basketball in '15 (along with Oakland Mills), and has 3 Final 4 trips in the last 7 years. Chad Hollowedel has the 5th highest win % in HoCo hardwood history. The Eagles boys soccer team is 1 of 8 teams to win at least 7 state titles. HoCo has 4 of the 8, with all-time leader Oakland Mills, with 12, River Hill, with 9, and Wilde Lake and Centennial, with 7. Likewise, their girls soccer team is 1 of 7 schools to win 6 state titles. HoCo has 3, including all-time leader River Hill, with 12, and Glenelg and Centennial, with 6. Finally, its volleyball team is tied with Williamsport for the most state titles in MPSSAA history, with 14.

Edited by themamba

8 hours ago, themamba said:

I hope the Eagles can field a competitive team, it just seems, aside from naming a coach, possibly tentatively, that things are still up in the air. They should have a good idea by now, heading into February, of what they'll be working with, and is that sufficient enough. I have two nephews (basketball) and a niece (golf, track) that go there, and a sister that teaches and has led their business department there for the last 16 years.

Its funny, the three other sports you mention. The Eagles won the state title in basketball in '15 (along with Oakland Mills), and has 3 Final 4 trips in the last 7 years. Chad Hollowedel has the 5th highest win % in HoCo hardwood history. The Eagles boys soccer team is 1 of 8 teams to win at least 7 state titles. HoCo has 4 of the 8, with all-time leader Oakland Mills, with 12, River Hill, with 9, and Wilde Lake and Centennial, with 7. Likewise, their girls soccer team is 1 of 7 schools to win 6 state titles. HoCo has 3, including all-time leader River Hill, with 12, and Glenelg and Centennial, with 6. Finally, its volleyball team is tied with Williamsport for the most state titles in MPSSAA history, with 14.

Geeeeeezzzzzz, you and those darn hard to get around facts!  It sure looks like football is just not a Centennials thing attempts to force feed is taking place.  RIP just may be best

Having a coach in the building is the only way this program has a chance.  Coach Martin is a young guy with a lot of energy.  He is going to have to "sell" the opportunity to build something with the young men at Centennial.  Then he is going to have to get buy in from the administration, the community, and support from other coaches in the building.  This is not an X's and O's process, this is an energy process.  Can you get the Centennial football players to have a positive experience so they want to hype it up in the school?

He has to get players.  In this day and age, kids would rather be a backup goalie for a winning soccer team, rather than a starting TE for a budding football program.  He has to lure a couple of the basketball players to come out and play football.  He has to search for every available athlete in the building. My biggest fear with kids having the option of attending River Hill and OM, is that any football player at Centennial just bail and go to one of those other schools.  This will make building a program more difficult.  I wish him the best of luck!

Edited by FBCoach
wanted to retype a sentence

1 hour ago, FBCoach said:

Having a coach in the building is the only way this program has a chance.  Coach Martin is a young guy with a lot of energy.  He is going to have to "sell" the opportunity to build something with the young men at Centennial.  Then he is going to have to get buy in from the administration, the community, and support from other coaches in the building.  This is not an X's and O's process, this is an energy process.  Can you get the Centennial football players to have a positive experience so they want to hype it up in the school?

He has to get players.  In this day and age, kids would rather be a backup goalie for a winning soccer team, rather than a starting TE for a budding football program.  He has to lure a couple of the basketball players to come out and play football.  He has to search for every available athlete in the building. My biggest fear with kids having the option of attending River Hill and OM, is that any football player at Centennial just bail and go to one of those other schools.  This will make building a program more difficult.  I wish him the best of luck!

Your points are well made. Winning is very important to the development of a program. Let’s not kid ourselves here. Winning creates a confidence in the coaching staff from the kids and community. The school has been losing so much lately that there is no confidence. Last year does not help at all. I would be surprised if the eagles had a team. I think almost every school feels his way too. Everyone is looking for their replacement Centennial game for next fall. The head coaches and AD’s are in the loop. They know the likelihood of Centennial having a team is almost 0. 

4 hours ago, GDEF said:

....Everyone is looking for their replacement Centennial game for next fall. The head coaches and AD’s are in the loop. They know the likelihood of Centennial having a team is almost 0. 

I can't see any non-HoCo school hitching their schedule to any HoCo school who may or may not play them depending on Centennial.  Would you book a game with any HoCo school should Centennial field a team or not?  

Edited by DayWalker

2 hours ago, DayWalker said:

I can't see any non-HoCo school hitching their schedule to any HoCo school who may or may not play them depending on Centennial.  Would you book a game with any HoCo school should Centennial field a team or not?  

Nope, I can't see anyone confirming a game with any HoCo teams.  But I think I heard by the end of the winter sports period a decision will be made. This just might give teams enough time to book a game.....maybe...

But I'm a little confused on the issue.  With league play commitment first, no HoCo team can go out and seek other games until Centennial officially calls a no go.  If Centennial tools up and try to make a run but can't say during the spring / summer, it could be too late again this year for other HoCos to seek games.  And the guarantee to play a week 1 game to insure forfeit wins should Cent not be able to complete the season sounds cheap to me.

Edited by DayWalker

59 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

But I'm a little confused on the issue.  With league play commitment first, no HoCo team can go out and seek other games until Centennial officially calls a no go.  If Centennial tools up and try to make a run but can't say during the spring / summer, it could be too late again this year for other HoCos to seek games.  And the guarantee to play a week 1 game to insure forfeit wins should Cent not be able to complete the season sounds cheap to me.

DW,

The HoCo School head sports guy CAN'T mess this up back to back years.  I am sure Centennial can't come to him with a list of 25 players talking about they are going to field a Varsity team.  I am sure they must show a good amount of committed students before they allow them to field a team.  But I agree with most on this board, I just don't see Centennial fielding a varsity team this fall.

Howard had 4 sign yesterday, including All-Met Ryan Kearney, who signed with Towson. Demetrius Majors (Bowie St), Rober Agbai (Wingate), and Anthony Reid (Shepherd) also made their intentions known.

My good friend Chauncey Winbush is the AD at Shepherd (formerly Asst. AD at Navy), where his old coach Monte Cater just retired after 31 years and 245 victories. Longtime assistant Eddie McCook takes over at Shepherd, where he led the Rams offense to top 10 rankings in scoring, total offense, and passing offense.

Wilde Lake's safety Osita Smith '19 picked up an offer from the Purdue Boilermakers. Smith, who has had interest from Tennessee, Maryland, and others, also has offers from Old Dominion and Howard.

Edited by themamba

1 hour ago, themamba said:

Howard had 4 sign yesterday, including All-Met Ryan Kearney, who signed with Towson. Demetrius Majors (Bowie St), Rober Agbai (Gannon), and Anthony Reid (Shepherd) also made their intentions known.

My good friend Chauncey Winbush is the AD at Shepherd (formerly Asst. AD at Navy), where his old coach Monte Cater just retired after 31 years and 245 victories. Longtime assistant Eddie McCook takes over at Shepherd, where he led the Rams offense to top 10 rankings in scoring, total offense, and passing offense.

Wilde Lake's safety Osita Smith '19 picked up an offer from the Purdue Boilermakers. Smith, who has had interest from Tennessee, Maryland, and others, also has offers from Old Dominion and Howard.

Was extended the offer by a LR alum and DL GA Coach Montag

Edited by ECF
update

40 minutes ago, themamba said:

Howard had 4 sign yesterday, including All-Met Ryan Kearney, who signed with Towson. Demetrius Majors (Bowie St), Rober Agbai (Gannon), and Anthony Reid (Shepherd) also made their intentions known.

The BYB Glover kid will join Majors at Bowie St.  I have a couple / several friends' kids at Shepherd.  The Clarion, Gannon, Indiana U of PA, etc is a nice league Agbai is joining; lots of good athletes....

16 minutes ago, ECF said:

Was extended the offer by a LR alum and DL GA Coach Montag

Good add, thanks.

14 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

The BYB Glover kid will join Majors at Bowie St.  I have a couple / several friends' kids at Shepherd.  The Clarion, Gannon, Indiana U of PA, etc is a nice league Agbai is joining; lots of good athletes....

Agbai played under the shadow of the talented Dawkins at Howard, but many HoCo coaches felt he was one of three or four best backs in the county.

58 minutes ago, themamba said:

Mamba,

Robert Agbai committed to Wingate University

Damn Mamba, you are making me feel old.  When I was a young assistant at Hammond in the late 90's, Chauncey was on the first team I coached.  It is exciting to see so many howard county kids getting opportunities at the next level.  Congrats to all of the young men who have earned an opportunity to play football in college

3 hours ago, themamba said:

Agbai played under the shadow of the talented Dawkins at Howard, but many HoCo coaches felt he was one of three or four best backs in the county.

2 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Mamba,

I'm looking over a Howard game video I have and did Agbai wear #7?  If so, I see that number at DE....

Edited by DayWalker

29 minutes ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Mamba,

Damn, thanks.

24 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

I'm looking over a Howard game video I have and did Agbai were #7?  If so, I see that number at DE....

Yes, thats him. Good tackler, good pursuit at end. Can catch out of the backfield. Overall, just a good player, with nice size.