Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoNuff07

Howard County Football 2017

555 posts in this topic

I don't play the numbers really, but if I did, I'd play 4 digit -2022 straight. That number has been stuck in front of the stack for 4 days now.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

This is a true story.  That summer before the 2014 season Howard held a 5-team scrimmage, which included the high-powered offense of Oakland Mills, a team that were not on Howard's regular season schedule.  So since "Da U", the nickname Howard's defense gave themselves, were turned down in their request to scrimmage a private school, particularly Georgetown Prep, they started begging to scrimmage Oakland Mills.  Of course they were told "No way". 

I don't remember anything about Gtown Prep.  The kids always wanted to scrimmage MSJ & they definitely wanted to scrimmage OM.   Would've been fun.  Pindell is a unique talent. 

Edited by Tooch43

16 hours ago, Tooch43 said:

I don't remember anything about Gtown Prep.  The kids always wanted to scrimmage MSJ & they definitely wanted to scrimmage OM.   Would've been fun.  Pindell is a unique talent. 

They may have requested to scrimmage MSJ, especially since a couple of the players left MSJ after a year or so. But a real good source did tell me that a couple of players asked to scrimmage Georgetown Prep for one of their 2014 scrimmage.

Posted (edited)

On 8/15/2017 at 6:56 PM, MDSOCCER said:

Word on the street is Centennials numbers are very low may be cancelling their season. I hope that is not true, but my sources are pretty strong. 

On 8/15/2017 at 7:23 PM, OldBallCoach said:

I just heard the same thing! Wow very unfortunate. 

On 8/15/2017 at 7:19 PM, city40blast said:

If that happens what happen to kids at the school that wants to play? Do they get to play for another schoool?

On 8/15/2017 at 11:36 PM, MDSOCCER said:

I guess nothing has been decided yet.

Looks like there will be a meeting tonight to discuss this:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-centennial-football-meeting-0817-story.html

And it appears if they disband the team before the season starts then forfeits will not be given to the teams on their schedule.

Edited by ShoNuff07

1 hour ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Looks like there will be a meeting tonight to discuss this:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/sports/ph-hs-centennial-football-meeting-0817-story.html

And it appears if they disband the team before the season starts then forfeits will not be given to the teams on their schedule.

This is a terrible situation all around. How can this happen at a school that size?

Pretty slim pickings if Centennial cancels and HoCo decides to let their opponents find out of county competition to replace them, by week:

Week 1 (Marriotts Ridge)- Mount Carmel, Ben Franklin, FAET, Southwestern

Week 2 (Reservior)- No MD teams open

Week 3 (River Hill)- No MD teams open

Week 4 (Long Reach)- Annapolis Area Christian

Week 5 (Mount Hebron)- Northern Garrett, Dunbar, National Christian

Week 6 (Wilde Lake)- No MD teams open

Week 7 (Howard)- Sparrows Point, Green Street Academy

Week 8 (Atholton)- SEED School of MD, National Christian

Week 9 (Hammond)- Hancock

Week 10 (Glenelg)- No MD teams open

8 minutes ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Beats me OBC....just a crazy situation. A legit 3A school, reporting 1150 students according to the MPSSAA Enrollment number:

http://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/Enrollment_Numbers_17-19.pdf

1A Hancock has 10% of the student population (112) of Centennial and had 35 boys (of 60 in the school) playing football last year.

Fort Hill has 100 kids in pads and High Point, one of the 5 largest schools in the state, can't even field a JV team.

The size of school seems to matter less in MPSSAA football than it does in pretty much anywhere else in the US.

6 minutes ago, eaglesinsider said:

1A Hancock has 10% of the student population (112) of Centennial and had 35 boys (of 60 in the school) playing football last year.

Fort Hill has 100 kids in pads and High Point, one of the 5 largest schools in the state, can't even field a JV team.

The size of school seems to matter less in MPSSAA football than it does in pretty much anywhere else in the US.

Ya pulling my leg Eagle!!  They can't field a JV TEAM ????

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, eaglesinsider said:

Come on EI, Fort Hill is a community where football football football is king from birth.  After football season, they can roll up the streets around Fort Hill.

High Point is a community where footballs are kicked and not picked up, run with, or thrown.  Being a large Spanish speaking school, perhaps 70-75% hispanic, where English could be a second language for parents, they couldn't care less about football.  The parks around High Point are full of folks, young and old, kicking soccer balls.  But I think you are wrong about High Point not having a JV football team.  I believe they do have JV but like the varsity football team, they rarely win and they just don't care.

It's been awhile since I've seen High Point play and when I saw them, they needed to more protect themselves on the field to complete the game against Landon than try to win the game.

Edited by DayWalker

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, OldBallCoach said:

This is a terrible situation all around. How can this happen at a school that size?

Pretty wild, to say the least. My nephew plays basketball there, and my neice plays golf and runs track. Another nephew will hoop this year with the Eagles.

I caught a little hell 2 years ago when I said that the Eagles probably have one of the ten worst records in the state dating back to their inception. It was just an educated guess.

Demographics play a role, with an Asian population just short of 40%. Lack of any tradition on the gridiron certainly doesn't help.

Another fall sport, soccer, used to be the dominant sport on Centennial Lane, when the Eagles won 9 regional titles in 11 years from '83-93, playing in 8 state finals, winning 7. Since, the Eagles have made just one Final 4 on the pitch, none in the last 20 years.

On the gridiron, the Eagles have made the playoffs just once in their history, 37 years ago. There have been 174 MD public schools that have earned multiple playoff berths, many opening after Centennial opened in the mid-to-late 70's, the Eagles aren't one of them. In '80, both Centennial and Mt Hebron won regional finals. Bob Johnston, former Tar Heel center and Super Bowl winner with the NY Giants, played at Glenelg that season. The following year, in '81, 4 of the 8 teams in the county forfeited multiple games due to using academically inelgible players, Centennial included.

On the flip side, in 2014, Centennial was named the top public school in Maryland by Newsweek, #18 in the country. It has routinely ranked among the top 5 publics in the state for 30 years. 

Edited by themamba

9 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Come on EI, Fort Hill is a community where football football football is king from birth.  After football season, they can roll up the streets around Fort Hill.

High Point is a community where footballs are kicked and not picked up, run with, or thrown.  Being a large Spanish speaking school, perhaps 70-75% hispanic, where English could be a second language for parents, they couldn't care less about football.  The parks around High Point are full of folks, young and old, kicking soccer balls.  But I think you are wrong about High Point not having a JV football team.  I believe they do have JV but like the varsity football team, they rarely win and they just don't care.

It's been awhile since I've seen High Point play and when I saw them, they needed to more protect themselves on the field to complete the game against Landon than try to win the game.

3 minutes ago, themamba said:

Pretty wild, to say the least. My nephew plays basketball there, and my neice plays golf and runs track. Another nephew will hoop this year with the Eagles.

I caught a little hell 2 years ago when I said that the Eagles probably have one of the ten worst records in the state dating back to their inception. It was just an educated guess.

Demographics play a role, with an Asian population just short of 40%. Lack of any tradition on the gridiron certainly doesn't help.

Another fall sport, soccer, used to be the dominant sport on Centennial Lane, when the Eagles won 9 regional titles in 11 years from '83-93, playing in 8 state finals, winning 7. Since, the Eagles have made just one Final 4 on the pitch, none in the last 20 years.

On the gridiron, the Eagles have made the playoffs just once in their history, 37 years ago. There have been 174 MD public schools that have earned multiple playoff berths, many opening after Centennial opened in the mid-to-late 70's, the Eagles aren't one of them. In '80, both Centennial and Mt Hebron won regional finals. Bob Johnston, former Tar Heel center and Super Bowl winner with the NY Giants, played at Glenelg that season. The following year, in '81, 4 of the 8 teams in the county forfeited multiple games due to using academically ineligible players, Centennial included.

On the flip side, in 2014, Centennial was named the top public school in Maryland by Newsweek, #18 in the country. It has routinely ranked among the top 5 publics in the state for 30 years. 

One plus one ALWAYS equals to two.  I guess we have our answer why.

High Point is in Beltsville MD and my best guess is that 20-25% of the population is Hispanic but High Point High is probably 70-75% Hispanic.

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

High Point is in Beltsville MD and my best guess is that 20-25% of the population is Hispanic but High Point High is probably 70-75% Hispanic.

60%, but point well taken. My teammate and brother's best friend,, Joe Lewis, (Temple) was once the Head Coach there, about 10 years ago, before going over to Wise with DeLawn.

Edited by themamba

3 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

They may have requested to scrimmage MSJ, especially since a couple of the players left MSJ after a year or so. But a real good source did tell me that a couple of players asked to scrimmage Georgetown Prep for one of their 2014 scrimmage.

I can tell you from a more reliable source that scrimmaging Gtown Prep was never considered.

1 minute ago, Tooch43 said:

I can tell you from a more reliable source that scrimmaging Gtown Prep was never considered.

Yes, the staff did not considered scrimmaging Gtown Prep.  I agree with that.

2 minutes ago, themamba said:

60%, but point well taken. My teammate and brother's best friend,, Joe Lewis, (Temple) was once the Head Coach there about 10 years ago, before going over to Wise with DeLawn.

Geeezzzzz, nearly every darn coach in the state is at or has been at Wise.  There are coaches there from Howard county, Douglass-PG, Northwestern (2), Potomac, Bladensburg, and other places.

Posted (edited)

He was on the staff for 4-5 years, before leaving to spend time with both of his sons, during their high school years, 4-5 years ago.

Edited by themamba

Father and son Rapp from Northwestern have been at Wise for some years now.  Bladensburg replaced its head coach after last year and I saw him and his brother on Wise's sideline at the UMD passing tournament during the summer.  I really thought Parrish was going to jump on that Howard vacancy....

2 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Father and son Rapp from Northwestern have been at Wise for some years now.  Bladensburg replaced its head coach after last year and I saw him and his brother on Wise's sideline at the UMD passing tournament during the summer.  I really thought Parrish was going to jump on that Howard vacancy....

Howard County tries to 1st consider candidates that teaches in a Howard County school.  But even if that wasn't the case why would he leave a pretty good situation in PG County?

Posted (edited)

Yea, thats a tough one. I wish he had, it would not only have been a benefit to the Lions had he returned to his alma mater, but to the county as a whole. Coach Strunk did a tremendous job there, wish he hadn't left.

HoCo has been blessed with high quality coaches across many sports, for 5 decades plus. 2 years ago, 5 of the 12 coaches had won state titles, 7 making the Final 4 in their tenure.

A massive re-districting in HoCo takes effect next year, touching 11 of the 12 HoCo high schools. A 13th will be built in a couple years in Elkridge, which will effect Howard more than any other school in the county.

Edited by themamba

To build another at home

9 minutes ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Howard County tries to 1st consider candidates that teaches in a Howard County school.  But even if that wasn't the case why would he leave a pretty good situation in PG County?

To build another dynasty at his alma since MD picked up Azzar.

Posted (edited)

I would buy the demographic argument for Centennial, but they won a basketball state championship 2 years ago...

This is not a demographic problem this is a school problem. High School sports are about school pride and developing a community. Centennial has lost sight of this. Alumni should be embarrassed and current administration and students should be ashamed. 

I also don't want to hear the academic argument either. Plenty of high quality academic schools also have football programs. Centennial is only ranked 3rd in Hoco according to USA news anyway. 

Again this is an embarrassment to the Centennial school district. I cannot stress this enough.

Edited by MDSOCCER

17 minutes ago, MDSOCCER said:

I would buy the demographic argument for Centennial, but they won a basketball state championship 2 years ago...

This is not a demographic problem this is a school problem. High School sports are about school pride and developing a community. Centennial has lost sight of this. Alumni should be embarrassed and current administration and students should be ashamed. 

I also don't want to hear the academic argument either. Plenty of high quality academic schools also have football programs. Centennial is only ranked 3rd in Hoco according to USA news anyway. 

Again this is an embarrassment to the Centennial school district. I cannot stress this enough.

It's demographics why the numbers for football are so low at Centennial.  It is pretty obvious.  

Football is different from basketball because one needs a core of at least 15-20 boys per class who are committed to have a competitive team.  Whereas one can have a great basketball team - even competing for a state title - with 4-5 very good players.  

There's nothing wrong with a particular demographic not being interested in a sport.  It's not something that needs to be "fixed".

11 minutes ago, Balmerboh said:

It's demographics why the numbers for football are so low at Centennial.  It is pretty obvious.  

Football is different from basketball because one needs a core of at least 15-20 boys per class who are committed to have a competitive team.  Whereas one can have a great basketball team - even competing for a state title - with 4-5 very good players.  

There's nothing wrong with a particular demographic not being interested in a sport.  It's not something that needs to be "fixed".

You act as if Centennial is the only school that has "poor" football demographics. 

Nobody is even asking Centennial football to be competitive. 15-20 committed kids from each grade are what the elite programs have haha. the Eagles only need 10 per committed kids, and only 20 per class to field 2 teams. 

We also know football is more than just a sport for high schools. Its the venues alumni come back to the school. Its the event homecoming week is surrounded around. Its the biggest money maker for the boosters. Its bigger than just a singular sport.