Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoNuff07

Howard County Football 2017

381 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, MDSOCCER said:

I would buy the demographic argument for Centennial, but they won a basketball state championship 2 years ago...

This is not a demographic problem this is a school problem. High School sports are about school pride and developing a community. Centennial has lost sight of this. Alumni should be embarrassed and current administration and students should be ashamed. 

I also don't want to hear the academic argument either. Plenty of high quality academic schools also have football programs. Centennial is only ranked 3rd in Hoco according to USA news anyway. 

Again this is an embarrassment to the Centennial school district. I cannot stress this enough.

Not sure what you are saying. You're buying it, then you are not. Basketball may require 40% of the key players football does.

I doubt any alumni are embarrassed, its never been a football school, as I've said countless times. There were virtually no 'good 'ol days' on the gridiron at Centennial, relatively speaking.

No one made any academic argument except you. You shouldn't let this stress you out.

29 minutes ago, Balmerboh said:

It's demographics why the numbers for football are so low at Centennial.  It is pretty obvious.  

Football is different from basketball because one needs a core of at least 15-20 boys per class who are committed to have a competitive team.  Whereas one can have a great basketball team - even competing for a state title - with 4-5 very good players.  

There's nothing wrong with a particular demographic not being interested in a sport.  It's not something that needs to be "fixed".

Agree, totally, all 3 paragraphs.

16 minutes ago, MDSOCCER said:

You act as if Centennial is the only school that has "poor" football demographics. 

Nobody is even asking Centennial football to be competitive. 15-20 committed kids from each grade are what the elite programs have haha. the Eagles only need 10 per committed kids, and only 20 per class to field 2 teams. 

We also know football is more than just a sport for high schools. Its the venues alumni come back to the school. Its the event homecoming week is surrounded around. Its the biggest money maker for the boosters. Its bigger than just a singular sport. 

Football has never been more than a sport at Centennial, ever.

Posted (edited)

This alumni would disagree with you 

You are right though I shouldn't get to worked up about this. 

Edited by MDSOCCER

At Centennial. Not a kid who loves football and his teammates, despite taking it on the chin for 4 years. I admire his grit.

Again, Centennial has probably won 18-23% of its games in its 40 years. Its never been a football school. Ever. 

If you have a kid on the team, I feel your pain.

I love you Mamba but I think a look at the demographics of Centennial and they are not much different then that of Marrriotts Ridge and River Hill especially when you factor in they have more total students. This one is on the Centennial coaches for not recruiting enough players from their student body.   Inexcusable and an embarrassment for Hoco.

Number of Students

Centennial total number of students

Am. Indian/AK Native

Asian

Black/African Amer.

Hispanic/Latino

HI/Pac. Islander

White

Two or more races

River Hill total number of students

Am. Indian/AK Native

Asian

Black/African Amer.

Hispanic/Latino

HI/Pac. Islander

White

Marriotts Ridge total number of students

Am. Indian/AK Native

Asian

Black/African Amer.

Hispanic/Latino

HI/Pac. Islander

White

Two or more races

I said plays a role. If you don't think so, thats fine. 

If you'd like to blame the coaches, go ahead, I won't. Now we are talking about not recruiting in the hallways. I walk the hallways at Centennial, with 3 nieces and nephews playing sports for the Eagles. I'd love for someone to give me 2 names of kids that should be playing. Give me one. Maybe you see something that I don't see. Having sold real estate in Howard County for 12 years, I would say the Centennial district may be the only school district in the county that may have more BSO peel-off decals on their back windshields than Ravens peel-off decals. I only know what I've seen, wether its in the hallways, the gym, or Open House. I should also mention that my sister is head of the business department at CHS, and has taught there for 17 years.

Mamba I know longer live in Maryland. I have no idea what is walking the hallways at Centennial. You are obviously a lot closer to the situation than I am. I do know that to build a successful program you need to be recruiting potential candidates during the school year. You say those candidates are not at Centennial. You would know. I just find it curious that you have two schools with similar demographics River Hill and Marriotts Ridge and they are evidently fielding football teams. 

Posted (edited)

Maybe MD Soccer knows some kids that are refraining from taking their talents to the gridiron. I was trying to think of someone I know that went to Centennial since '77 that should of played but did not. I'm sure I'll think of someone one day.

Edited by themamba

Posted (edited)

True story. My nephew, who plays basketball for the Eagles, played QB for the Columbia Ravens for 6 years for Howard's OC Reid, with Devin Dawkins at tailback. At the time, Coach Reid told me he was one of the smartest quarterbacks he had ever coached. He was in 8th grade. He gave up football for other interests. Though I could see him  getting back into the game following his cousin, my nephew, into a player personnel position in the NFL. Or the NBA. I think thats his trajectory after dropping some dimes, draining some 3's, and helping the Eagles compete for the county championship, and beyond.

Edited by themamba

River Hill's Asian population has grown 60%, from 20% to 32%, since the Hawks made their first final 11 years ago. Marriotts Ridge Asian population has grown 50% in 5 years, going from 21% of the student body to 32%.

Football must not be very big at Centennial because of all the years of going all around the state to see so many games, I have NEVER or cannot recall EVER seeing a Centennial game.  And this greatly surprises me.

My guess is that quality football players in the Centennial district have already made other arrangements to play highschool football. That could be one of the reasons for the low turnout. Plenty of money in that area.

Does anyone know the outcome of the meeting?  Is Centennial having football this year?  or is this all speculation?

27 minutes ago, FBCoach said:

Does anyone know the outcome of the meeting?  Is Centennial having football this year?  or is this all speculation?

So far no word FBCoach.   They do have a scheduled scrimmage at Woodlawn, according to their Football Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/CHSEagleFB

Guess we shall see if they show up or not...could be a sign.

Something isn't right because I have Randallstown at Woodlawn tomorrow for a scrimmage....

5 hours ago, Oil Can said:

My guess is that quality football players in the Centennial district have already made other arrangements to play highschool football. That could be one of the reasons for the low turnout. Plenty of money in that area.

I've heard of a handful or two that have gone private, several to GC over the last decade.

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

Something isn't right because I have Randallstown at Woodlawn tomorrow for a scrimmage....

Then again, it could be a three-way.

23 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

Pretty slim pickings if Centennial cancels and HoCo decides to let their opponents find out of county competition to replace them, by week:

Week 1 (Marriotts Ridge)- Mount Carmel, Ben Franklin, FAET, Southwestern

Week 2 (Reservior)- No MD teams open

Week 3 (River Hill)- No MD teams open

Week 4 (Long Reach)- Annapolis Area Christian

Week 5 (Mount Hebron)- Northern Garrett, Dunbar, National Christian

Week 6 (Wilde Lake)- No MD teams open

Week 7 (Howard)- Sparrows Point, Green Street Academy

Week 8 (Atholton)- SEED School of MD, National Christian

Week 9 (Hammond)- Hancock

Week 10 (Glenelg)- No MD teams open

Well...I hope these athletic directors get on the ball and find a game.  I think everyone in the 3A-East will be fine, particularly Long Reach.  But Howard will have a hard time making it to the playoffs in the 4A-North if they lose 2 games. 

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

It was a 3-way scrimmage

2 minutes ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Well...I hope these athletic directors get on the ball and find a game.  I think everyone in the 3A-East will be fine, particularly Long Reach.  But Howard will have a hard time making it to the playoffs in the 4A-North if they lose 2 games. 

They shouldn't lose 2

Have whoever has week three I think it is get with Surrattsville or Gwynn Park who walked away from each other in PGCo.