Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoNuff07

Howard County Football 2017

390 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Have whoever has week three I think it is get with Surrattsville or Gwynn Park who walked away from each other in PGCo.

That would be River Hill.

Just now, ShoNuff07 said:

That would be River Hill.

River Hill would be great for Gwynn Park.  It would put them back together to rehash what Mike Campanaro, Malek Redd, And Leron Eaddy did to GP back in 2008 I think it was.

HoCo crew call BVD to have him call Danny Hayes at Gwynn Park.

4 minutes ago, Tooch43 said:

Why not re-shuffle the schedule.  No one plays out of county?

Well...I hope that can be done ASAP.  Remember, some teams has Homecoming plans already in motion.

6 minutes ago, Tooch43 said:

Doesn't work that way, as one team would be left out each week. 

6 minutes ago, Tooch43 said:

Puck that, desperate times call for desperate measures.  I say River Hill should thump with Gwynn Park week 3.  And now we can work on the other dates.

Does National Christian have open dates or a bye??????

2 minutes ago, themamba said:

Doesn't work that way, as one team would be left out each week. 

Oh...that is correct. There's only 11 teams.  That means 5 games with one team having a bye each week

2 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Does National Christian have open dates or a bye??????

According to Eagle's info - National Christian: Weeks 5,8,11

1 minute ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Oh...that is correct. There's only 11 teams.  That means 5 games with one team having a bye each week

Correct.

1 minute ago, ShoNuff07 said:

According to Eagle's info - National Christian: Weeks 5,8,11

Then that could be weeks 3, 5, and 8 covered....

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, Tooch43 said:

They shouldn't lose 2

I think Howard should be good....but you never know what will happen in that 1st game with Glenelg.  And that 6th game at Long Reach on their Homecomming.....not going to be a walk in the park.

Edited by ShoNuff07

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

River Hill would be great for Gwynn Park.  It would put them back together to rehash what Mike Campanaro, Malek Redd, And Leron Eaddy did to GP back in 2008 I think it was.

HoCo crew call BVD to have him call Danny Hayes at Gwynn Park.

Thats part of the story. In '05, the Yellowjackets and Hawks met in the state semifinals. River Hill drove down the field on the first posession to the GP 5. Then, following a mishap on the exchange from Hostetler to Nick Campanaro, the Jackets picked it up and sprinted 95 yards the other way. On the next possession, Hostetler was tackled in the end zone for a safety. 9-0, GP. Hostetler eventually got comfortable and hit some key passes, while the Hawks ran off 21 straight points, taking a 21-9 lead into the 4th.

Just before the 3rd quarter ended, RH committed their 3rd of 5 turnovers. GP capitalized, cutting it to 21-16. The Jackets took advantage of that momentum and more turnovers to take a 30-21 victory to the state title game, before finishing 14-0, after a wild double-OT win over the Owls of Westminister, 20-14, in the final. In that one, GP missed 2 opportunities to win it just before regulation, with  - a dropped pass in the end zone, and a bad snap on a potential game-winning FG.

GP failed to score in the first OT, then Westminster blew a game-winning FG. In the 2nd OT, the Owls appeared to score on a pass play (replays show it should have been a TD) but was ruled out of bounds. GP ran 3 plays to the 2 and Coach Hayes had a decision to make.

Running back William Little pounded his chest and said, "Give me the ball." Phillip Taylor, the massive lineman, said, "I'll lead the way." And so Hayes decided to go for it. The rest is history.

I would also be remiss in not mentioning another playoff match-up in '03, in the regionals, where the Hawks saw a 14-0 lead turn into a 49-21 Yellowjackets rout.

Edited by themamba

9 minutes ago, themamba said:

Thats part of the story. In '05, the Yellowjackets and Hawks met in the state semifinals. River Hill drove down the field on the first posession to the GP 5. Then, following a mishap on the exchange from Hostetler to Nick Campanaro, the Jackets picked it up and sprinted 95 yards the other way. On the next possession, Hostetler was tackled in the end zone for a safety. 9-0, GP. Hostetler eventually got comfortable and hit some key passes, while the Hawks ran off 21 straight points, taking a 21-9 lead into the 4th.

Just before the 3rd quarter ended, RH committed their 3rd of 5 turnovers. GP capitalized, cutting it to 21-16. The Jackets took advantage of that momentum and more turnovers to take a 30-21 victory to the state title game, before finishing 14-0, after a wild double-OT win over the Owls of Westminister, 20-14, in the final. In that one, GP missed 2 opportunities to win it just before regulation, with  - a dropped pass in the end zone, and a bad snap on a potential game-winning FG.

GP failed to score in the first OT, then Westminster blew a game-winning FG. In the 2nd OT, the Owls appeared to score on a pass play (replays show it should have been a TD) but was ruled out of bounds. GP ran 3 plays to the 2 and Coach Hayes had a decision to make.

Running back William Little pounded his chest and said, "Give me the ball." Phillip Taylor, the massive lineman, said, "I'll lead the way." And so Hayes decided to go for it. The rest is history.

I would also be remiss in not mentioning another playoff match-up in '03, in the regionals, where the Hawks saw a 14-0 lead turn into a 49-21 Yellowjackets rout.

There you go again.... :D

But I'm thinking of later like in 2008 when River Hill had never beaten a PG team but knocked off DouglassPG and Gwynn Park in consecutive weeks to go on to win states with Mike Campanaro and crew.

I knew what you were talking about, just adding Chapter 1 and Chapter 2. Chapter III was once my spot.

The Hawks got some get-back in '08, avenging 3 of their previous 4 playoff eliminations in 2 weeks, beating GP, 20-6, then Douglass, 21-6, the following weeks. In '03 and '05, the Hawks were eliminated by the Yellowjackets, after squandering double-digit leads. In between, in '04, the Hawks were eliminated by Douglass, 36-26, where the Eagles rushed for 425 yards on 41 carries, behind Gary and Cole, who combined for 256 yards on 16 carries. In '06, we all remember the Hawks trying to crash into the Joe Haden show, only to be turned away.  

The Hawks had suffered 4 straight playoff losses to PG, including the final 2 to 14-0 state champions, before running a back-to-back, and winning 4 state titles in 6 years.

On 8/17/2017 at 6:16 PM, eaglesinsider said:

Pretty slim pickings if Centennial cancels and HoCo decides to let their opponents find out of county competition to replace them, by week:

Week 1 (Marriotts Ridge)- Mount Carmel, Ben Franklin, FAET, Southwestern

Week 2 (Reservior)- No MD teams open

Week 3 (River Hill)- No MD teams open

Week 4 (Long Reach)- Annapolis Area Christian

Week 5 (Mount Hebron)- Northern Garrett, Dunbar, National Christian

Week 6 (Wilde Lake)- No MD teams open

Week 7 (Howard)- Sparrows Point, Green Street Academy

Week 8 (Atholton)- SEED School of MD, National Christian

Week 9 (Hammond)- Hancock

Week 10 (Glenelg)- No MD teams open

I am hearing that Long Reach is working in getting Annapolis Area Christian on their schedule. 

1 hour ago, themamba said:

I knew what you were talking about, just adding Chapter 1 and Chapter 2. Chapter III was once my spot.

The Hawks got some get-back in '08, avenging 3 of their previous 4 playoff eliminations in 2 weeks, beating GP, 20-6, then Douglass, 21-6, the following weeks. In '03 and '05, the Hawks were eliminated by the Yellowjackets, after squandering double-digit leads. In between, in '04, the Hawks were eliminated by Douglass, 36-26, where the Eagles rushed for 425 yards on 41 carries, behind Gary and Cole, who combined for 256 yards on 16 carries. In '06, we all remember the Hawks trying to crash into the Joe Haden show, only to be turned away.  

The Hawks had suffered 4 straight playoff losses to PG, including the final 2 to 14-0 state champions, before running a back-to-back, and winning 4 state titles in 6 years.

YES, great football from the marginalized lot who are so subpar in "level of play".....  :rolleyes:

On 8/18/2017 at 8:59 PM, ShoNuff07 said:

I am hearing that Long Reach is working in getting Annapolis Area Christian on their schedule. 

Good. That's one of the only matchups that makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately for the HOCO teams most of the teams with openings this late in the year are very low level programs that probably wouldn't take a game against a 2A or larger MPSSAA Schools.

Mount Carmel or FAET and Marriotts Ridge is another that would make sense. As would Mount Hebron and Dunbar or Northern Garrett.

I don't see Sparrows Point or Green Street (2nd year program) jumping at the chance to play 4A Howard. Same with SEED/National Christian and Atholton or Hancock and Hammond.

HCPS should plan on not having Centennial in 2018. Give them permission to schedule a full non-county schedule against schools they can compete with. Let them build up some confidence against teams they can beat.

Tell the 10 schools that are open the week that they play Centennial that they can start looking for 2018 OOC opponents right now. They shouldn't let this linger. Reevaluate in 2019 and see if Centennial is ready to rejoin the county in football.

9 hours ago, eaglesinsider said:

Good. That's one of the only matchups that makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately for the HOCO teams most of the teams with openings this late in the year are very low level programs that probably wouldn't take a game against a 2A or larger MPSSAA Schools.

Mount Carmel or FAET and Marriotts Ridge is another that would make sense. As would Mount Hebron and Dunbar or Northern Garrett.

I don't see Sparrows Point or Green Street (2nd year program) jumping at the chance to play 4A Howard. Same with SEED/National Christian and Atholton or Hancock and Hammond.

HCPS should plan on not having Centennial in 2018. Give them permission to schedule a full non-county schedule against schools they can compete with. Let them build up some confidence against teams they can beat.

Tell the 10 schools that are open the week that they play Centennial that they can start looking for 2018 OOC opponents right now. They shouldn't let this linger. Reevaluate in 2019 and see if Centennial is ready to rejoin the county in football.

You made some excellent points Eagle:

The Long Reach and MIAA-C school Annapolis Area Christian is a decent match up.

Marriotts Ridge and 1A school FAET or MIAA-C school Mt Carmel are solid match-ups too.

Mt Hebron and 1A playoff schools Northern Garrett and Dunbar are very solid match-ups.

Now, I could see 2A Hammond (0-10 in 2016) and 1A Hancock matching up.

I also could see 3A Atholton and National Christian Academy playing, but don't see SEED taking on such a match up.

But I agree with you 100%, I just don't see 1A Sparrows Point or very small private school Green Street Academy taking on the challenge.

I think making Centennial play a  9-10 game non-conference schedule in 2018 is a pretty good idea, while allowing the other 10 County schools a chance to start as early as right now to locate an opponent for 2018.  This way they won't get caught in this situation again.

However, after reading MPSSAA scoring system (http://www.mpssaa.org/the-official-final-2016-state-football-points-standings/) it only hurts the 10 teams when they play Oakland Mills.  If they beat Oakland Mills they would only get .90 bonus point instead of 1.0 point for every Oakland Mills victory.  I don't see Oakland Mills reaching .500 this year.

Still, a bad situation, particularly for the seniors at Centennial.  They should have allow them the freedom to play on another team instead handcuffing them to stay at Centennial.

7 minutes ago, ShoNuff07 said:

You made some excellent points Eagle:

The Long Reach and MIAA-C school Annapolis Area Christian is a decent match up.

Marriotts Ridge and 1A school FAET or MIAA-C school Mt Carmel are solid match-ups too.

Mt Hebron and 1A playoff schools Northern Garrett and Dunbar are very solid match-ups.

Now, I could see 2A Hammond (0-10 in 2016) and 1A Hancock matching up.

I also could see 3A Atholton and National Christian Academy playing, but don't see SEED taking on such a match up.

But I agree with you 100%, I just don't see 1A Sparrows Point or very small private school Green Street Academy taking on the challenge.

I think making Centennial play a  9-10 game non-conference schedule in 2018 is a pretty good idea, while allowing the other 10 County schools a chance to start as early as right now to locate an opponent for 2018.  This way they won't get caught in this situation again.

However, after reading MPSSAA scoring system (http://www.mpssaa.org/the-official-final-2016-state-football-points-standings/) it only hurts the 10 teams when they play Oakland Mills.  If they beat Oakland Mills they would only get .90 bonus point instead of 1.0 point for every Oakland Mills victory.  I don't see Oakland Mills reaching .500 this year.

Still, a bad situation, particularly for the seniors at Centennial.  They should have allow them the freedom to play on another team instead handcuffing them to stay at Centennial.

Hancock usually only plays school with maybe 2 or 3 times their enrollment, which would be 400-600 or so. Hammond would probably beat them by 70. I love the fact that they play football with more than half the boys in the school (35/60) on the team but last year they were 2-8 against one of the weakest schedule in the nation. Their wins were against teams ranked in the bottom 1,000 of the nation by MaxPreps.

If I was Howard I would call MSJ, who has a Week 7 bye, and see if they would be willing to play. There is no limit to the number of games MIAA schools can schedule and McDonogh is already playing 11 games with no bye this year so it could be done.

The Centennial seniors should look to the Central MD Christian home school team if the MPSSAA won't let them play for another school, they take anyone whose school doesn't offer football and most would be impact players in the home school league. They practice in the Mount Airy area so not a terrible drive.

Posted (edited)

Added schools (in bold) with 10+ games and a bye that may be willing to play.

Week 5 (Mount Hebron)- Northern Garrett, Dunbar, National Christian, GILMAN

Week 7 (Howard)- Sparrows Point, Green Street Academy, MOUNT SAINT JOSEPH, AVALON, CAPITOL CHRISTIAN

Week 8 (Atholton)- SEED School of MD, National Christian, CALVERT HALL, RIVERDALE BAPTIST

Week 9 (Hammond)- Hancock, LOYOLA, CONCORDIA PREP

Week 10 (Glenelg)- SAINT MARY'S RYKEN

Some of these additions would make a ton of sense.

CHC is playing double-booked Avalon Week 10. If they wanted to keep the schedule the same length they could add Atholton and drop their 11/1 Wednesday game against Avalon, who would then not have to turn around and play Saint James on 11/4, they could just have the Saint James game on the schedule.

MSJ and Loyola are both playing sketchy Canadian teams in Week 3 and Week 10 respectively. If they don't show up taking games against Howard and Hammond would at least guarantee them a full schedule.

An MSJ-Howard game would also be competitive and would bring in a pretty big gate, especially compared to the travel party of a team from Canada.

Saint Mary's Ryken is playing as an independent so if they could work something out with travel I'm sure they'd play Glenelg. It's not like they have to worry about resting up for playoffs or anything.

Riverdale Baptist has 2 BYE weeks so they may be willing to play Atholton as well.

Edited by eaglesinsider

49 minutes ago, eaglesinsider said:

Added schools (in bold) with 10+ games and a bye that may be willing to play.

Week 5 (Mount Hebron)- Northern Garrett, Dunbar, National Christian, GILMAN

Week 7 (Howard)- Sparrows Point, Green Street Academy, MOUNT SAINT JOSEPH, AVALON, CAPITOL CHRISTIAN

Week 8 (Atholton)- SEED School of MD, National Christian, CALVERT HALL, RIVERDALE BAPTIST

Week 9 (Hammond)- Hancock, LOYOLA, CONCORDIA PREP

Some of these additions would make a ton of sense.

CHC is playing double-booked Avalon Week 10. If they wanted to keep the schedule the same length they could add Atholton and drop their 11/1 Wednesday game against Avalon, who would then not have to turn around and play Saint James on 11/4, they could just have the Saint James game on the schedule.

MSJ and Loyola are both playing sketchy Canadian teams in Week 3 and Week 10 respectively. If they don't show up taking games against Howard and Hammond would at least guarantee them a full schedule.

An MSJ-Howard game would also be competitive and would bring in a pretty big gate, especially compared to the travel party of a team from Canada.

Saint Mary's Ryken is playing as an independent so if they could work something out with travel I'm sure they'd play Glenelg. It's not like they have to worry about resting up for playoffs or anything.

Riverdale Baptist has 2 BYE weeks so they may be willing to play Atholton as well.

Since River Hill, Wilde Lake and Reservoir probably won't be able to find a 10th game I am almost certain Howard AD will follow suit and won't seek a 10th game.  I am almost willing to put money on that one Eagle

Found some DE schools still looking for games. Still keeping my eye out for any possibilities for River Hill and Wilde Lale

Week 2 (Reservior)- Seaford (DE), Saint Andrew's (DE)

Week 5 (Mount Hebron)- Northern Garrett, Dunbar, National Christian, GILMAN, First State Military (DE), Wilmington Friends (DE)

Week 7 (Howard)- Sparrows Point, Green Street Academy, MOUNT SAINT JOSEPH, AVALON, CAPITOL CHRISTIAN

Week 8 (Atholton)- SEED School of MD, National Christian, CALVERT HALL, RIVERDALE BAPTIST

Week 9 (Hammond)- Hancock, LOYOLA, CONCORDIA PREP

I here Mt.Hebron has picked up Patterson