Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoNuff07

Howard County Football 2017

377 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, ECF said:

I here Mt.Hebron has picked up Patterson

That would be a good one since I think Patterson had Avalon I hear is not MPSSAA sanctioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ECF said:

I here Mt.Hebron has picked up Patterson

 

12 hours ago, DayWalker said:

That would be a good one since I think Patterson had Avalon I hear is not MPSSAA sanctioned.

Good for Mt Hebron! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2017 at 8:59 PM, ShoNuff07 said:

I am hearing that Long Reach is working in getting Annapolis Area Christian on their schedule. 

AACS have made team plans, and will not be able to play week 4. We might stay with a 9 game schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Piranha said:

AACS have made team plans, and will not be able to play week 4. We might stay with a 9 game schedule.

You know what...this morning I was thinking that some families possibly have made plans during those scheduled bye-weeks.  So it might be difficult for the HoCo teams to find willing opponents.  I still believe Long Reach will be just fine, especially in their region.  But I am VERY sorry what happen to you guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hammond is the 1st team to officially find a replacement. They are going to Kent County. Good for them to find a solution. I know it's tough but I hope the other teams follow suit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, GDEF said:

Hammond is the 1st team to officially find a replacement. They are going to Kent County. Good for them to find a solution. I know it's tough but I hope the other teams follow suit. 

What happened to Kent County's game against Arcadia (VA) that week? I've had it on the schedule for months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Updated now that Kent County and Hammond have linked up and AACS and Long Reach haven't come to an agreement:

 

Week 1 (Marriotts Ridge)- Mount Carmel, Ben Franklin, FAET, Southwestern

Week 2 (Reservior)- Seaford (DE), Saint Andrew's (DE)

Week 3 (River Hill)- No MD teams open

Week 4 (Long Reach)- No MD teams open

Week 5 (Mount Hebron)- Northern Garrett, Dunbar, National Christian, Patterson?, GILMAN, First State Military (DE), Wilmington Friends (DE)

Week 6 (Wilde Lake)- No MD teams open

Week 7 (Howard)- Sparrows Point, Green Street Academy, MOUNT SAINT JOSEPH, AVALON, CAPITOL CHRISTIAN

Week 8 (Atholton)- SEED School of MD, National Christian, CALVERT HALL, RIVERDALE BAPTIST

Week 9- Hammond at Kent County

Week 10 (Glenelg)- SAINT MARY'S RYKEN

Edited by eaglesinsider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Piranha said:

AACS have made team plans, and will not be able to play week 4. We might stay with a 9 game schedule.

 

Curley and Fort Hill had a similar issue a couple years ago, Fort Hill needed a game a week that Curley had a bye scheduled. Curley's kids had made bye week plans and their HC was even leaving town on Friday. Their solution was to schedule the game for a Thursday since kids still had to be in school through Friday. Weather ended up cancelling that game but that was how they made it work. Just a thought.

Edited by eaglesinsider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 8/17/2017 at 11:30 PM, outerbanks said:

I love you Mamba but I think a look at the demographics of Centennial and they are not much different then that of Marrriotts Ridge and River Hill especially when you factor in they have more total students. This one is on the Centennial coaches for not recruiting enough players from their student body.   Inexcusable and an embarrassment for Hoco.

 

Number of Students

Centennial total number of students

 1465

 

Am. Indian/AK Native

    *

Asian

  531

Black/African Amer.

  121

Hispanic/Latino

   68

HI/Pac. Islander

    *

White

  670

Two or more races

   72

River Hill total number of students

 1207

Am. Indian/AK Native

    *

Asian

  345

Black/African Amer.

   68

Hispanic/Latino

   68

HI/Pac. Islander

    *

White

  660

 

 

Marriotts Ridge total number of students

 1198

 

Am. Indian/AK Native

    *

Asian

  330

Black/African Amer.

   81

Hispanic/Latino

   41

HI/Pac. Islander

    *

White

  693

Two or more races

   5


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The demographic we have been referring to is obviously Asian Americans.  And that's a HUGE gap from Centennial to Marriotts Ridge, per ratio, between Asians at each school.  It makes a difference.  And Marriotts Ridge also has segment of kids that play football and not soccer from early on (western HoCo).  Centennial is literally in the middle of soccer in Columbia.  Maybe the numbers you are showing actually support the notion that River Hill is declining in football.

Virtually nobody cares enough, even top shelf Howard public HS's like Howard, about recruiting.  Recruiting is so difficult to do at the public school level in HoCo it is basically null.  The optimal athletes will get snared by the private schools anyway.  

There is no old boys network in HoCo public school football that I'm aware of.  Even places like Gilman which have bona fide programs didn't aim to have as such (it didn't come from the administration from what I know), Gilman just lucked out with a coach that decided to go to the next level for recruiting which happened to line up with the school's student body makeup goals.

Edited by Balmerboh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Balmerboh said:

The demographic we have been referring to is obviously Asian Americans.  And that's a HUGE gap from Centennial to Marriotts Ridge, per ratio, between Asians at each school.  It makes a difference.  And Marriotts Ridge also has segment of kids that play football and not soccer from early on (western HoCo).  Centennial is literally in the middle of soccer in Columbia.  Maybe the numbers you are showing actually support the notion that River Hill is declining in football.

Virtually nobody cares enough, even top shelf Howard public HS's like Howard, about recruiting.  Recruiting is so difficult to do at the public school level in HoCo it is basically null.  The optimal athletes will get snared by the private schools anyway.  

There is no old boys network in HoCo public school football that I'm aware of.  Even places like Gilman which have bona fide programs didn't aim to have as such (it didn't come from the administration from what I know), Gilman just lucked out with a coach that decided to go to the next level for recruiting which happened to line up with the school's student body makeup goals.

Okay we will go with your argument and take the Asian population out of the equation for Centennial, River Hill and Marriotts Ridge.  So that leaves the White and Black/African American population to build your football program around. From that combined population Centennial has 791 students  (395.5 boys) Marriotts Ridge 774 (387 boys), River Hill 728 students (364 boys).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Centennial should have done was at least play the week one vs. Marriotts Ridge with JV/V combined. After that make a decision to continue or disband the program. This way all the schools on their schedule will get forfeit points, and not scrambling to find games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ECF said:

What Centennial should have done was at least play the week one vs. Marriotts Ridge with JV/V combined. After that make a decision to continue or disband the program. This way all the schools on their schedule will get forfeit points, and not scrambling to find games.

I agree. They should have played that 1st game. This was a poor choice by the powers that be. John Davis for the good of the league should have forced Cenn to play just 1 game. 1 game against MR and get it over with. By disbanding the team you have created a national headline and embarrassed the league and the school. I will be doubt Cenn will even have numbers next year to field a team. Why would they? What will have changed? Time will tell i guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GDEF said:

I agree. They should have played that 1st game. This was a poor choice by the powers that be. John Davis for the good of the league should have forced Cenn to play just 1 game. 1 game against MR and get it over with. By disbanding the team you have created a national headline and embarrassed the league and the school. I will be doubt Cenn will even have numbers next year to field a team. Why would they? What will have changed? Time will tell i guess.

Come on guys, no kid - Centennials or otherwise, would be party to training for one game to then just quit.  And no parent should be party to such an act just so others could benefit from forfeits.  Going thru such a motion would lead kids NOT to properly train and get seriously hurt in that first bull game.  To hell with national headlines and league embarrassment.  Centennial is not the first and will not be the last team to fold.  I'm glad the powers that be made an adult decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

Come on guys, no kid - Centennials or otherwise, would be party to training for one game to then just quit.  And no parent should be party to such an act just so others could benefit from forfeits.  Going thru such a motion would lead kids NOT to properly train and get seriously hurt in that first bull game.  To hell with national headlines and league embarrassment.  Centennial is not the first and will not be the last team to fold.  I'm glad the powers that be made an adult decision.

They have numbers on JV, so they could have combined the squads to at least play that 1 game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ECF said:

They have numbers on JV, so they could have combined the squads to at least play that 1 game.

No ECF.  What kids you know or what parents would allow their kids to go out in this heat for several weeks and two/three scrimmages in perhaps code red heat days like today to prepare for one game so they can forfeit the rest of the season to other schools.  Come on guy!!  I can ignore all the injury possibilities right now that normally happen.  What you propose would be like planning a wedding knowing you are not going through with it.  Preparing to play just one game to forfeit the rest of season just does NOT make any sense.  The other teams need to find other opponents or settle for a 9 game season that happens all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

No ECF.  What kids you know or what parents would allow their kids to go out in this heat for several weeks and two/three scrimmages in perhaps code red heat days like today to prepare for one game so they can forfeit the rest of the season to other schools.  Come on guy!!  I can ignore all the injury possibilities right now that normally happen.  What you propose would be like planning a wedding knowing you are not going through with it.  Preparing to play just one game to forfeit the rest of season just does NOT make any sense.  The other teams need to find other opponents or settle for a 9 game season that happens all the time.

From what ive been hearing, this has been brewing since June/July... So, they have been working out up until last week when they started practicing. HOCO should have worked up some scenarios in case Centennial decided to call it quits for 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ECF said:

From what ive been hearing, this has been brewing since June/July... So, they have been working out up until last week when they started practicing. HOCO should have worked up some scenarios in case Centennial decided to call it quits for 2017.

That's all beside the point of your suggestion to do even worse by tooling up for one game so others will benefit from forfeits.  Two inappropriate actions will not make a right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DayWalker said:

That's all beside the point of your suggestion to do even worse by tooling up for one game so others will benefit from forfeits.  Two inappropriate actions will not make a right.

So screw the other HOCO teams. I feel sorry for Howard. They cant afford to lose any games now, if they cant pick up a 10 game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if Howard lose some games and not make the playoff, life will move on.  High school football just ain't all that important.  That ain't football life or death Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody got updates on real football? I know I threw my 2 cents on centennial but I'd rather talk about the real programs in the county. Any injuries for them 1st scrimmage? Any teams look good or bad? Let's talk football

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ECF said:

What Centennial should have done was at least play the week one vs. Marriotts Ridge with JV/V combined. After that make a decision to continue or disband the program. This way all the schools on their schedule will get forfeit points, and not scrambling to find games.

 

10 hours ago, GDEF said:

I agree. They should have played that 1st game. This was a poor choice by the powers that be. John Davis for the good of the league should have forced Cenn to play just 1 game. 1 game against MR and get it over with. By disbanding the team you have created a national headline and embarrassed the league and the school. I will be doubt Cenn will even have numbers next year to field a team. Why would they? What will have changed? Time will tell i guess.

 

10 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Come on guys, no kid - Centennials or otherwise, would be party to training for one game to then just quit.  And no parent should be party to such an act just so others could benefit from forfeits.  Going thru such a motion would lead kids NOT to properly train and get seriously hurt in that first bull game.  To hell with national headlines and league embarrassment.  Centennial is not the first and will not be the last team to fold.  I'm glad the powers that be made an adult decision.

I can't lie, at first I thought that Centennial should have played that 1st game to keep the other 9 schools from being penalized a game.  But I too thought about possible injuries to players that probably are not prepared to compete at the Varsity level, so unfortunately I had to rule against that.  But what I am upset about is the Centennial seniors, to include RB Corey Eudell (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6742518/5914620c42102e2ba0be0f97) that were on the team will not be allowed to play elsewhere BUT the juniors were rewarded a waiver to compete AGAIN on JV for a 3rd year.  If these juniors were allowed such a break then why not do the same for those seniors?  Let them play elsewhere if they have the desire to do such. And since pretty much all schedules are already set then why not give forfeits via a waiver to the 10 HoCo teams that were scheduled to play Centennial ESPECIALLY since it is pretty difficult to find someone at this point that would actually agree to play you ?  I bet quite a few teams that have open dates won't be able to give them up due to plans already made by families, especially if its for recruiting purposes. The County ONLY took care of the juniors of Centennials...and practically turned their backs on the Centennial seniors and the rest of the county teams .  The county should have pleaded to the MPSSAA and request waivers for everyone.  But maybe they are afraid of being exposed of their possible faults by the MPSSAA. But hey, as of now these are the cards that were dealt to the teams.  They must go ahead and play their hands.  Guess they must just move on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GDEF said:

Anybody got updates on real football? I know I threw my 2 cents on centennial but I'd rather talk about the real programs in the county. Any injuries for them 1st scrimmage? Any teams look good or bad? Let's talk football

I saw some of Howard's scrimmage against Boy Latin and Liberty. They look the same as previous scrimmages over the year...which is just solid on both sides of the ball.  My understanding that they came away from the scrimmage healthy.

I haven't heard a thing about other HoCo scrimmages, but I can't imagine Long Reach having any issues with South Carroll (2A), Catoctin (1A) and Boonsboro (1A).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glenelg looks pretty limited outside of Wande (who didn't get a lot of carries. I guess they have him on a pitch count). I was at their play day. They got beat over the top a bunch of times through out the day. They are also not as big as years past. Same ground and pound approach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Article in the Wash Post today re: the dropping of football programs in high schools around the country.  Very timely given the Centennial situation (Centennial is mentioned in the article).  Two of the main reasons cited are demographics and head injuries - which mirrors much of the talk in this forum.  

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/the-leading-edge-of-a-much-larger-iceberg-new-jersey-high-school-disbands-football-team/2017/08/22/e13b6516-836e-11e7-82a4-920da1aeb507_story.html?hpid=hp_rhp-top-table-main_ams-newjersey500am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.657dc5a55306

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Centennial senior lineman Todd Hendrix said he “kind of saw this coming” because of the “overall demeanor of Centennial” and because “football isn’t our thing; we don’t breed football athletes.” - Howard County Times

As I've said, for the 40 years I've been here, Centennial has been the farthest thing from a football school than one can imagine. Their results can testify to that. They have had 4 better than solid seasons in 40 years - '80, '86, '06, and '13, 1 playoff appearance.

Head injuries have played a role in the drop in participation in football across the country. From 2010 to 2015 youth football participation has dropped 28%. 28% in 5 years. From 3 million to under 2.2 million (source - USA Football via Physical Activity Council). The first major of the congressional hearings of the NFL and the link of hits and concussions with mental illness and other brain injuries was in 2009.

Over the next few years, I'd imagine several other schools may follow and fold it up.

The senior lineman summed up what many in the county have known for years - football just isn't Centennial's thing. Much like many in MoCo know that football isn't Walter Johnson's (28-122 over last 15 years) thing. Two schools that have ranked among the top 10 academic public schools in Maryland for 30+years. Its just how it is. Nothing wrong with it at all. 

Edited by themamba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0