Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoNuff07

Howard County Football 2017

381 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, themamba said:

Centennial senior lineman Todd Hendrix said he “kind of saw this coming” because of the “overall demeanor of Centennial” and because “football isn’t our thing; we don’t breed football athletes.” - Howard County Times

As I've said, for the 40 years I've been here, Centennial has been the farthest thing from a football school than one can imagine. Their results can testify to that. They have had 4 better than solid seasons in 40 years - '80, '86, '06, and '13, 1 playoff appearance.

Head injuries have played a role in the drop in participation in football across the country. From 2010 to 2016 youth football participation has dropped 28%. 28% in 6 years. From 3 million to under 2.2 million. The first major brain study of former NFL players was in 2009.

Over the next few years, I'd imagine several other schools may follow and fold it up.

The senior lineman summed up what many in the county have known for years - football just isn't Centennial's thing. Much like many in MoCo know that football isn't Walter Johnson's (28-122 over last 15 years) thing. Two schools that have ranked among the top 10 academic public schools in Maryland for 30+years. Its just how it is. Nothing wrong with it at all. 

That's about the size of it and if the truth is to be told with as much as The DayWalker like football, I would not be all in for a kid of mine today to play football.  Sad commentary from me but essentially I'd rather be "entertained" watching your kids, college young men, and pros brutally pound on each other than my own in the mix....  The truth, the whole truth, and nothin' but the truth Snake.

Edited by DayWalker

Trying to grasp this "its not our thing" and the academic side.  Centennial has been passed by Marriott's Ridge and River Hill when it comes to the top schools in MD an in HoCo.  Walter Johnson went out and hired a former DeMatha and Rutgers standout to take over an build the program.  Richard Montgomery, Poolesville, Whitman, and Wootton are usually considered the top public schools in MD every year and they all field competitive programs.  All the Ivy leagues where the brightest minds go have been playing football since the late 1800's and last I checked football isn't there thing either.  Columbia has a .350 winning pct since 1870 and hasn't had a winning season since the 90's I think and that's been surrounded by many 1 and 0 win teams.  Here's something to read on them  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/23/sports/ncaafootball/columbia-footballs-dogged-futility.html?mcubz=1.  Seem we've replaced quitting with "its not our thing" to a appease the adults and make everyone feel good about it.  

1 hour ago, DJ88 said:

Trying to grasp this "its not our thing" and the academic side.  Centennial has been passed by Marriott's Ridge and River Hill when it comes to the top schools in MD an in HoCo.  Walter Johnson went out and hired a former DeMatha and Rutgers standout to take over an build the program.  Richard Montgomery, Poolesville, Whitman, and Wootton are usually considered the top public schools in MD every year and they all field competitive programs.  All the Ivy leagues where the brightest minds go have been playing football since the late 1800's and last I checked football isn't there thing either.  Columbia has a .350 winning pct since 1870 and hasn't had a winning season since the 90's I think and that's been surrounded by many 1 and 0 win teams.  Here's something to read on them  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/23/sports/ncaafootball/columbia-footballs-dogged-futility.html?mcubz=1.  Seem we've replaced quitting with "its not our thing" to a appease the adults and make everyone feel good about it.  

Maybe the kid thats played there for 3 years and missing his senior season is lying, I never thought of that. Maybe he just ommitted the part about there is a large group of kids here that have played their whole life that just don't want to play for Centennial.

You can't quit if you never played. Even more important, you are not quitting if you have no interest in that recreational activity, or lost interest because some middle-aged man on the internet has taken too many testosterone pills this morning.

The numbers are clear, less and less kids have any interest in playing football than a decade ago. Substantially. More than likely, there will be less in a decade from now. Thats the strong trend and projection.

This isn't new for high school scholastic sports teams. There have been many JV teams that have failed to field teams in HoCo over the last decade, mainly on the girls side. Football grabs your attention. I just read an article from '95 or '96 where a Glenelg player was saying they were down to 25 players, due to 4 injuries. Thats 1996. At Glenelg. My senior year at OM, we broke camp with 29 players. 30ish players has been routine at many HoCo schools for 40 years.

As for academia, we can all find some list listing various 'best schools'. If you want to argue that Centennial and Walter Johnson aren't among the best schools in the state, that's fine, its your opinion.

Whatever the reason, our kids and grandkids as a whole, just aren't that into you (football) anymore. Get used to it.

1 hour ago, DJ88 said:

Tremendous post. 

95 an 96 and football is still going strong at Glenelg.  OM had some down years but they kept moving forward and one of the best teams in the county.  And that with B-ball (your love) as the main sport there.  Tell you what go over to all other HoCo schools and tell them you're to smart for football lets shut it down and see what you get.  Went by OM last year and all you heard was the wonder years with my boys Clark, Jon-Jon, Payne, Miller etc......  If the kids want to quit so be it, but try and cover it up with it's not my thing is a sham.  Kid or parents don't want to play that's fine also, but to make it seem the "smart schools" don't want it a bunch of BS. 

The point is that having 30ish kids gives little room from there. If you have a pair of classes that have half the average intake of football players in their classes, that can spell doom.

Not sure of your 'cover-up' conspiracy of all these families. Sounds juicy.

The only people that would have been talking about Archie, Justin, or anyone, is the same crew that will be talking about it today. Not the kids, they dont have a clue. Pindell, maybe.

Not sure of the shut down nonsense, I'm in HoCo schools all the time.

I think it was 1998 when OM went down to Byrd and played in a state championship with a squad of  about 20.  I guess if you have the right 20, that is all you need.  Football is hard, and it is still the ultimate team sport.  My dad wanted me to play football because you had to put the team first.  I have been coaching for 30 years, and the biggest change is that kids would rather start for an 0-10 team then be a role player for a 10-0 team.  I am more important than the team.  I have coached an 0-10 team before, and those kids have many fond memories of what it was like to "man up" and battle every week when the odds were against them.  They learned how stay the course.  I believe they are better people for it. 

5 hours ago, roarmd28 said:

That's six-man football which is way different because of the size of the schools and communities. A couple kids move away or you graduate a large senior class and you're in a lot of trouble. The article does a good job of downplaying that it's six-man to play into the "sky is falling" football narrative the mainstream media is pushing right now.

According to the US News & World Report there are 67 kids in the school 9-12. 45% are Native American, 64% economically disadvantaged. The last senior class they reported was 25-60% larger than the ones following (the senior class having 20 and grades 9-11 having 12-15 each.)

Don't see why they can't play six-man with nine players anyway. Plenty of Texas schools have played whole seasons with six. ESPN just did an hour long special on six-man football a couple weeks ago and one of the teams they highlighted played their full 2016 schedule with five male players and one 100-lb girl from the volleyball team.

On 8/22/2017 at 8:29 PM, ShoNuff07 said:

I saw some of Howard's scrimmage against Boy Latin and Liberty. They look the same as previous scrimmages over the year...which is just solid on both sides of the ball.  My understanding that they came away from the scrimmage healthy.

I haven't heard a thing about other HoCo scrimmages, but I can't imagine Long Reach having any issues with South Carroll (2A), Catoctin (1A) and Boonsboro (1A).

On 8/22/2017 at 11:18 PM, MDSOCCER said:

Glenelg looks pretty limited outside of Wande (who didn't get a lot of carries. I guess they have him on a pitch count). I was at their play day. They got beat over the top a bunch of times through out the day. They are also not as big as years past. Same ground and pound approach. 

So only reports from 2 teams so far?  Where are you Oily ?  Anything regarding River Hill?

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

So only reports from 2 teams so far?  Where are you Oily ?  Anything regarding River Hill?

I just don't know what the hell that lame empty oil container is waiting on!!!  GWYNN PARK....GWYNN PARK....   I am fairly sure GWYNN PARK is open week three.  The football gods have laid this out for River Hill and Gwynn Park to redo the greatness done in 2008.  Come on Oil, call BVD and work this out or The DayWalker will never speak another word to you or post anything respectable about the Hawks.   Git 'R Done you ole used up grease bucket....  :P

Edited by DayWalker

Atholton scrimmaged Oakdale and Patuxent at Atholton and they looked like the weakest of the three. Atholton had some decent size but aside from one receiver and a RB who looked decent they didn't look like more that a .500 team.

3 hours ago, fuegobro said:

Atholton scrimmaged Oakdale and Patuxent at Atholton and they looked like the weakest of the three. Atholton had some decent size but aside from one receiver and a RB who looked decent they didn't look like more that a .500 team.

That is a little disappointing to hear. They are bringing in a JV class that was 9-1 last year.  However they did play a couple of pretty good teams.  But we shall see what happens in this week's scrimmage.

Anyone know how the Long Reach scrimmage is going?

On 8/23/2017 at 1:41 PM, FBCoach said:

I think it was 1998 when OM went down to Byrd and played in a state championship with a squad of  about 20.  I guess if you have the right 20, that is all you need.  Football is hard, and it is still the ultimate team sport.  My dad wanted me to play football because you had to put the team first.  I have been coaching for 30 years, and the biggest change is that kids would rather start for an 0-10 team then be a role player for a 10-0 team.  I am more important than the team.  I have coached an 0-10 team before, and those kids have many fond memories of what it was like to "man up" and battle every week when the odds were against them.  They learned how stay the course.  I believe they are better people for it. 

They had 25, but point taken. That 1998 championship season had several coaches in pads in practice.

Posted (edited)

Milestones watch, Juniors Edition.

Wande Owens, without Davis and Folkman paving ground in front of him, is just 200 yards away from becoming the 11th HoCo player to amass 3,000 career rushing yards. He's played in 15 games (186.7 ypg). Owens is 1,646 rushing yards from becoming the #2 all-time leading rusher in the county, surpassing Mike Campanaro. 

Top 10

5,063 Rafael Wall WL '88-90

4,445 Mike Campanaro RH '06-08

3,713 BJ Smoot HAM '02-04

3,681 Gerald Smith HOW '96-99

3,574 Tre Davis G '13-15

3,255 Mike Andeeson HOW '10-12

3,172 Malek Redd RH '06-08

3,156 Zach Martin RH '05-07

3,118 Devin Paye HAM '10-12

3,011 Matt Winger ATH '03-05

Before going 3k, Owens would surpass Vinnie Rubbo OM '96-98, AJ Benavitiola HOW '08-10, Chris Eccleston MTH '03-05, and Damon Hamlin WL '91-92.

Devin Dawkins was on his way to possibly becoming the 7th player in HoCo history to rush for 2,000 yards in a season before getting hurt in the playoffs. If he matches his totals of a year ago, he'll surpass two handful of players and break Gerald Smith's all-time Lions record.

The 5 leading rushers for the Lions in the last 5 seasons.

'12 Mike Anderson 1,273 yds 19 TD

'13 Terrell Charles 1,738 yds 18 TD

'14 Najee Savage 1,550 yds 25 TD

'15 Malik Anderson 2,005 yds 24 TD

'16 Devin Dawkins 1,867 yds 22 TD

Senior Edition. River Hill's Brendan McKenna is 39 receptions away from becoming River Hill's all-time leading receiver, breaking Ben Nowak's mark of 94 set in '96. McKenna had 56 receptions last year, second to Nowak's 63 in '06 on the Hawks all-time season list.

Edited by themamba

Look for Marriotts Ridge to utilize the 3 this year. From downtown. 'The Rowdy Ridge' hasn't much size this year, but they have a pair of kickers that can boom it. High 40's-50 from one, mid-50's from the other.

3 hours ago, GDEF said:

Anyone know how the Long Reach scrimmage is going?

Someone reported on the "Who scrimmaging Who" forum that Dunbar beat Long Reach 12-8.  But someone else said they heard that Long Reach won by 2 scores.  Maybe someone got the varsity and JV scores mixed up.

If long reach lost to Dunbar that would be a bad sign. All the city posters have been saying they are down and that other city schools can get them this year. 

49 minutes ago, GDEF said:

If long reach lost to Dunbar that would be a bad sign. All the city posters have been saying they are down and that other city schools can get them this year. 

I believe Long Reach should be ok.  I still believe they will win their very 1st playoff game ever.

One week left for the 8 HOCO schools that need games to find them. 

Week 1 (Marriotts Ridge)- Mount Carmel, Ben Franklin, FAET, Southwestern

Week 2 (Reservior)- Seaford (DE), Saint Andrew's (DE)

Week 3 (River Hill)- No MD teams open

Week 4 (Long Reach)- No MD teams open

Week 5- Patterson at Mount Hebron

Week 6 (Wilde Lake)- No MD teams open

Week 7 (Howard)- Sparrows Point, Green Street Academy, MOUNT SAINT JOSEPH, AVALON, CAPITOL CHRISTIAN

Week 8 (Atholton)- SEED School of MD, National Christian, CALVERT HALL, RIVERDALE BAPTIST

Week 9- Hammond at Kent County

Week 10 (Glenelg)- SAINT MARY'S RYKEN

10 hours ago, ShoNuff07 said:

Someone reported on the "Who scrimmaging Who" forum that Dunbar beat Long Reach 12-8.  But someone else said they heard that Long Reach won by 2 scores.  Maybe someone got the varsity and JV scores mixed up.

The score was 12-9... LR dropped a TD and one score was called back late in the 4th when WR didn't catch a ball tossed to him on jet motion.