Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShoNuff07

Howard County Football 2017

391 posts in this topic

And the hits keep coming. So to speak. Tried to give a heads up, if you will.

the Midwest and Northeast — are shedding high school football programs at a significant rate. Michigan has seen a net loss of 57 teams in the past five years. Missouri has lost 24. Pennsylvania has lost 12.]

[Even Southern California powerhouse Long Beach Poly, which has sent dozens of players to the NFL, gave up its junior varsity squad amid low turnout this summer. California is down 28 high school football teams in the last half-decade.]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/the-leading-edge-of-a-much-larger-iceberg-new-jersey-high-school-disbands-football-team/2017/08/22/e13b6516-836e-11e7-82a4-920da1aeb507_story.html?utm_term=.64d131269635

Posted (edited)

delete

Edited by ShoNuff07
Remove Post

Chad Brown, Long Reaches best player, is transferring to St Francis. That's a big loss for the lightning. Timing is bad too. Right before the season starts. 

8 hours ago, GDEF said:

Chad Brown, Long Reaches best player, is transferring to St Francis. That's a big loss for the lightning. Timing is bad too. Right before the season starts. 

Not their best player. And from what I've been told he's been gone for about 2wks. Sounded like he was unhappy about only getting JUCO inquires, so he's reclassifying and will sit out the 2017 season.  

Reclass for athletics....   :huh:

1 hour ago, ECF said:

Not their best player. And from what I've been told he's been gone for about 2wks. Sounded like he was unhappy about only getting JUCO inquires, so he's reclassifying and will sit out the 2017 season.  

Either way their best defensive player is gone. 

5 minutes ago, GDEF said:

Either way their best defensive player is gone. 

Best player is on their DL 6'4/230 DT.

What are the predictions for week 1? Also are there any players to look out for coming out of Oakland Mills this year?

7 minutes ago, twelve said:

What are the predictions for week 1? Also are there any players to look out for coming out of Oakland Mills this year?

OM best player QB Aaron Gibson transferred to the Avalon school.

Just now, ECF said:

OM best player QB Aaron Gibson transferred to the Avalon school.

I have been hearing about a Senior named Jaden Ealey who if eligible could maybe have a big season. I found his highlights and he looks pretty impressive. Any idea if this kid will play this year?

Here is the link to his Hudl highlights:  http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6136446/585bda5e3df53a0d1cfde842

You tell us Ja?

3 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

You tell us Ja?

Huh?

Also what about howard? will they be the county champs once again or did they lose to much talent from last year?

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, twelve said:

I have been hearing about a Senior named Jaden Ealey who if eligible could maybe have a big season. I found his highlights and he looks pretty impressive. Any idea if this kid will play this year?

Here is the link to his Hudl highlights:  http://www.hudl.com/video/3/6136446/585bda5e3df53a0d1cfde842

The best player left is the RB Jorie Kolliegbo. He's a very solid player. Gibson was not the best player last year which is why he was benched in favor of returning Sr. Shallon Robinson. Ealy is a very undisciplined player, can certainly make plays but his lack of maturity will prevent him from making any real impact. They have lost 3 players (Harris, Pindell, Hopkins) that were significant in turning that program around. They have some sprinkles of talent though. I believe they only have around 25-27 kids on the roster.

Edited by oberserveroffacts

15 minutes ago, twelve said:

Also what about howard? will they be the county champs once again or did they lose to much talent from last year?

Returning good amount of talent. Question will be how their new leadership will be at the top...

12 minutes ago, oberserveroffacts said:

The best player left is the RB Jorie Kolliegbo. He's a very solid player. Gibson was not the best player last year which is why he was benched in favor of returning Sr. Shallon Robinson. Ealy is a very undisciplined player, can certainly make plays but his lack of maturity will prevent him from making any real impact. They have lost 3 players (Harris, Pindell, Hopkins) that were significant in turning that program around. They have some sprinkles of talent though. I believe they only have around 25-27 kids on the roster.

Just looked up Jorie he looks very impressive.

1 hour ago, ECF said:

Returning good amount of talent. Question will be how their new leadership will be at the top...

I agree. Strunk is hard to replace. The mindset and culture he created should till be there. Especially with the rest of the staff still there. 

Howard still has a lot of talent, and a real good work ethic. Glenelg got them last year, so they are beatable, but I think they are the favorite again. 

After hearing about different scrimmages I would think the county break down as follows..

Howard

Long Reach (Bring back more starters than anybody)

Glenelg (Wande is that good, but they do not have much after him)

Reservoir (Heard they have some athletes)

River Hill (Great coaching staff)

Marriotts Ridge (Sources have them running an Triple Option. That will be interesting. Good Defensive team

Oakland Mills (quality individual talent)

Wilde Lake (Toss up between them and OM)

Atholton (Reports are less than glowing from their scrimmages)

Hammond (Program on the rebuild)

Mount Hebron (With no Cenn the vikings are the bottom feeder of the league got destroyed by Liberty....)

5 hours ago, ECF said:

Best player is on their DL 6'4/230 DT.

Well he is a returning all county player and was a monster for them in their secondary. Coach Willis even said he is the leader of the D. 

Glenelg at Howard

This is easily the game of the week. The winner of this game will be in the drivers seat for the county tittle. Howard will be very motivated after losing to Glenelg last year. This game is also at Howard. Howard hasn't lost a home Howard county game since week 10 of 2012. Glenelg last won at Howard in 2009. I think History holds true. Howard 28 Glenelg 14

Atholton at River Hill

River Hill is still a solid program. They do not have the talent they once had when they were winning state championships, but they are still well coached, and their double wing offense still gives some teams fits. I really do not like Atholton. They had a lot of talent last year and they blew it. I think River Hill wins this game but a couple of scores. River Hill 21 Atholton 7

Oakland Mills at Long Reach

Oakland Mills have the athletes to hang with Long Reach, but the lines for Long Reach on both sides should dominate this game. Long Reach will go through some growing pains with a new QB, but they should walk away from this with a comfortable win. Long Reach 35 Oakland Mills 14

Reservoir at Mt. Hebron
 A team not a lot of people are talking about is Reservoir. They have some talent coming back from a team that should some flashes last year. They are a dark horse for me. Hebron is just not good. Not much else to say. Like MDSOCCER said, with Cenn not having a team Hebron will have troubles winning a game this year. Reservoir 28 Mt Hebron 0

Hammond at Wilde Lake

Hammond head coach returns to his old stomping grounds. Hammond is a school that can field some good football teams. I do not think this years team will be good though. Need to see their JV be more completive. The JV teams are the bloodlines for the Varsity teams. There are other factors that go into making a good varsity team, but one of the 1st things you can do is great a winning culture with the JV. Wilde Lake graduated a lot of talent, but still return some good players. I hate their offense. It is too vanilla for me. I think Wilde Lake wins this game, but its close. Wilde Lake 21 Hammond 14

4 hours ago, GDEF said:

Well he is a returning all county player and was a monster for them in their secondary. Coach Willis even said he is the leader of the D

Actually Coach Willis stated in his interview with Tim Schwartz that Chad Brown was one of the leaders of his defense.  But he was a pretty key piece coming back. But I am sure Long Reach has a plan to fill his spot.

Yes, a key piece. A very good athlete. He was the 2nd best player on the basketball team the last 2 years, behind Morgan. At SFA, he'd possibly be a role player on the hardwood.

18 hours ago, MDSOCCER said:

I agree. Strunk is hard to replace. The mindset and culture he created should till be there. Especially with the rest of the staff still there. 

Howard still has a lot of talent, and a real good work ethic. Glenelg got them last year, so they are beatable, but I think they are the favorite again. 

After hearing about different scrimmages I would think the county break down as follows..

Howard

Long Reach (Bring back more starters than anybody)

Glenelg (Wande is that good, but they do not have much after him)

Reservoir (Heard they have some athletes)

River Hill (Great coaching staff)

Marriotts Ridge (Sources have them running an Triple Option. That will be interesting. Good Defensive team

Oakland Mills (quality individual talent)

Wilde Lake (Toss up between them and OM)

Atholton (Reports are less than glowing from their scrimmages)

Hammond (Program on the rebuild)

Mount Hebron (With no Cenn the vikings are the bottom feeder of the league got destroyed by Liberty....)

In my opinion  1st, 2nd and 3rd are pretty close.  Since they are not playing Long Reach this year if Glenelg beat Howard this Saturday the County Championship could be all but settled.  But as you stated MDOCCER, just like Howard can be beaten Glenelg can be beaten, like their lost at home to Wilde Lake last year.  So this season will be another tight race for the County title. Your break down is pretty much what I would have predicted, except for Atholton.  I know they graduated some talented players, but I would expect a little more from a team that is bringing up JV players that were 9-1 last year plus coming off a 6-4 season.  But you said you got some bad reports from their scrimmages, so I will keep my eye on them. I may would put Oakland Mills lower.  But overall your breakdown is pretty good.

Curious, please refresh my recollection on why Strunk departed Howard....the official reason and the truth, if they are not the same.

Posted (edited)

I'm hearing that Howard has scheduled a game against Caravel from Delaware?  Assuming this is true, how do playoff points work for such games?

Edit: never mind I found out about how the playoff points work.

Edited by roarmd28