Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bluto

Portland educators want to strip 'Lynch' from school names. But it refers to a family, not lynching

34 posts in this topic

The Centennial School District, which operates Lynch View and 10 other grade, middle and high schools, is moving to rename three of them in response to some parents and school officials who feel “Lynch” is a bleak reminder of a time in America when blacks were publicly hanged — lynched — by white mobs and the Ku Klux Klan.

Next week, the Centennial School District board will consider that history and, if it approves the change, Lynch will be removed from all school signs, logos and homepages.

“I’m against that,” Singerhouse said. “It’s got nothing to do with lynching.”  The schools were named to honor pioneering berry farmers Patrick and Catherine Lynch, who donated land to build a one-room school in 1900. Officials were so pleased with the donation and a later bargain land sale by the Lynches, they named the whole district Lynch. It subsequently merged with another nearby district to become Centennial in 1976 and now serves southeast Portland and nearby Gresham.

Portland’s major daily, the Oregonian, editorially urged the board to reject the changes and use the dispute as a teaching moment, observing that the Lynches were immigrants who did a good thing for the city.

This seems to be an overreaction to ignorance.

It's an unfortunate name, to say the least.

The word "lynch" comes from an Irishman named Lynch who was hanged by a mob.

3 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

The schools were named for immigrant berry farmers named Lynch who donated land for their construction.

Reminds me of the D.C. school board.

3 hours ago, ms maggie said:

According to Wikipedia 

In the United States, the origin of the terms lynching and lynch law is traditionally attributed to a Virginia Quaker named Charles Lynch.[8]:23ff Charles Lynch (1736–1796) was a Virginia planter and American Revolutionary who headed a county court in Virginia which incarcerated Loyalist supporters of the British for up to one year during the war. While he lacked proper jurisdiction, he claimed this right by arguing wartime necessity. Subsequently, he prevailed upon his friends in the Congress of the Confederation to pass a law which specifically exonerated him and his associates from wrongdoing. He was concerned that he might face legal action from one or more of those so incarcerated, even though the American Colonies had won the war. This move by the Congress provoked controversy, and it was in connection with this that the term "Lynch law", meaning the assumption of extrajudicial authority, came into common parlance in the United States. Lynch was not accused of racist bias, and indeed acquitted blacks accused of murder on three separate occasions, as dictated by the facts brought before him.[9][10] He was accused, however, of ethnic prejudice in his abuse of Welsh miners.[7]

...In Ireland, it is often claimed to be named after James Lynch Fitzstephen from Galway, Ireland, who was the Mayor of Galway when he hanged his own son from the balcony of his house after convicting him of the murder of a Spanish visitor in 1493.[11][12] However, linguistic evidence is strongly against it, and the story was likely invented in the 19th century.[6"

Link

3 hours ago, hst2 said:

It's an unfortunate name, to say the least.

How lame. If your last name was "Baker" would you be offended if someone referred to you as "inbred?" 

1 minute ago, blowboatbethesda said:

How lame. If your last name was "Baker" would you be offended if someone referred to you as "inbred?" 

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the connection. I do get the connection between lynch and Lynch though.

24 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the connection. I do get the connection between lynch and Lynch though.

Of course. One name suits your agenda. One does not. The surname "Cook" defines that one with the name works in a kitchen.  The surname  "Entstrasser;" a guy i went to school with means that he lives at the end of the street. (He didn't)  "Hawk" or "Hauk" could mean a person with a large nose. (she didn't). 
"Tower;" as a surname could confer status or residence (she's neither wealthy not lives in a highrise). 

Thank you for exposing your own prejudices to us all, not that we weren't aware of them before.

God help your students, I weep for their future.. 

Hst I've asked you for this before.

We need "THE BIG, BIG LIST OFF BAD, BAD WORDS" lest someone inadvertently offend by using one. Here's a start:

lynch

niggardly

supervisor

Your turn.

:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

We need "THE BIG, BIG LIST OFF BAD, BAD WORDS" lest someone inadvertently offend by using one. Here's a start:

lynch

niggardly

supervisor

Your turn.

You forgot the worst of all:

"White."  :DB)

1 minute ago, blowboatbethesda said:

You forgot the worst of all:

"White."  :DB)

I believe "white" is allowed, but must be properly modified.....white guilt.....white privilege....white racism and so on.;)

I live in a Lynch-built home. I should sue! The horror!

Thank God Redwood Street is no longer German Street. What a travesty that would be! 

Jane Lynch. Watch your back! 

Insensitive to the Kennedy family, property owners, capitalism in general, the Holocaust, disco lovers, and let's not even discuss the use of lynch or the appropriation of Biafra. Man, I love that album. I wanna go steal some mail now.

11 hours ago, mlatoman said:

I live in a Lynch-built home. I should sue! The horror!

Thank God Redwood Street is no longer German Street. What a travesty that would be! 

Jane Lynch. Watch your back! 

Now you can't watch Celebrity Game Night ...........

21 hours ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

lynch

niggardly

supervisor

Your turn.

Salesman or anything ending in "man".

I'm waiting for first year college students to be referred to as freshpersons.:lol:

35 minutes ago, veritas said:

Salesman or anything ending in "man".

I'm waiting for first year college students to be referred to as freshpersons.:lol:

Postmen comes to mind. I tried Postwomen never felt right. I made my life simple, they are now all Mail Deliverers. Eazie peazzie 

8 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Postmen comes to mind. I tried Postwomen never felt right. I made my life simple, they are now all Mail Deliverers. Eazie peazzie 

Mail Carriers

Posted (edited)

I'm outraged!  What about femail carriers?:D

I think we should go with humanoid deliverers of paper and ink based communications and associated packages.:P

Edited by veritas

7 minutes ago, veritas said:

I'm outraged!  What about femail carriers?:D

I think we should go with humanoid deliverers of paper and ink based communications and associated packages.:P

I know your joking but femail doesn't make any sense.   

Just now, mrsmlh said:

I know your joking but femail doesn't make any sense.   

It wasn't supposed to.  You said mail carriers so I said femail carriers.