18 posts in this topic

Wasn't there a time when half of Maryland's congressional delegation was female?  Plus women have been leading Baltimore City for a while.

2 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

Wasn't there a time when half of Maryland's congressional delegation was female?  Plus women have been leading Baltimore City for a while.

Many Maryland local jurisdictions have elected women as council members, County Executives and Mayors through the years. Many women have served as State Senators and Delegates, many still do. Barbara Mikulski and Helen Bentley gained national recognition for their service to Maryland.

It's true that both of our Senators and all 8 Representatives are now male, and I fail to see The Sun's problem as all but one are Democrats.  

Your recollection  of our previous delegation may be correct, Matt, however the current makeup of our elected officials, male/female/black/white/polkadot was decided by the electorate some time ago, hence my comment regarding today being a slow news day.:)

Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that as The Sun, being the ultraconservative, right-wing Republican owned and-staffed publication that it is; printed the story just to annoy Hillary Clinton. :P

Coulda Fooled Me!

12 hours ago, blowboatbethesda said:

Many Maryland local jurisdictions have elected women as council members, County Executives and Mayors through the years. Many women have served as State Senators and Delegates, many still do. Barbara Mikulski and Helen Bentley gained national recognition for their service to Maryland.

It's true that both of our Senators and all 8 Representatives are now male, and I fail to see The Sun's problem as all but one are Democrats.  

Your recollection  of our previous delegation may be correct, Matt, however the current makeup of our elected officials, male/female/black/white/polkadot was decided by the electorate some time ago, hence my comment regarding today being a slow news day.:)

Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that as The Sun, being the ultraconservative, right-wing Republican owned and-staffed publication that it is; printed the story just to annoy Hillary Clinton. :P

Agreed. Seems everytime I open the paper and there is a photograph of some politician...it is more than likely a women.

Now yes presently at the fed level...it is male....and a few females (black and white) ran for those positons. However the electorate decided ( I would hope) their vote based on the candidates position and not sex or skin color.

And yes the Sun is well the Sun or really the Eclipse as of late. For that reason and the fact that fish refuse to be wrapped in it anymore AND the fact that my bill jumped to 59.00 plus for w-s delivery (thats near 800 bucks a year folks) I am canceling.

Maybe the women running are bad candidates? Donna Edwards is a prime example. 

I voted for Babs more than once not because I agreed with her but because of the power she had gained in DC. 

7 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

I voted for Babs more than once not because I agreed with her but because of the power she had gained in DC. 

I was not real happy with Bab's left leanings....but after she retired....and I read all she did for this state. Well my opinion changed to the positive...left leanings and all.

If you benefited from fed employment or contracts you voted for bans from your wallet and that's why she won easily for decades.

Mike and Mike won't share power voluntarily 

46 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

If you benefited from fed employment or contracts you voted for bans from your wallet and that's why she won easily for decades.

Oh I worked for fed contracts....but I didn't vote for her.

But as I said....looking back she did a lot of good for MD.

42 minutes ago, demopublican said:

Huh? What the blip are you talking about?

1 hour ago, johnpolitics said:

Hooo boy.....talk about the poster women for race baiting and mongering. 

Even after she lost ......she kept it up. Jessie in his prime.....with boobs.

6 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Hooo boy.....talk about the poster women for race baiting and mongering. 

Even after she lost ......she kept it up. Jessie in his prime.....with boobs.

When Cummings wouldn't even support her you knew she was in trouble. I live in the 4th District and she and KKT Jr. NEVER set foot in AA County. 

20 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

When Cummings wouldn't even support her you knew she was in trouble. I live in the 4th District and she and KKT Jr. NEVER set foot in AA County. 

Sorry my mental map is not working well. How is this significant? Not being a troll... I don't 'get it'.

8 hours ago, demopublican said:

If his health doesn't improve it may not be voluntary for Mike Busch.

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/house-speaker-michael-busch-to-undergo-liver-transplant/9965205

From what I have heard while in Annapolis last session Delegate Maggie McIntosh is the leading candidate to take his place as Speaker. That would put a woman, and a very Liberal one, in a position of considerable power in Annapolis.

46 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Sorry my mental map is not working well. How is this significant? Not being a troll... I don't 'get it'.

The 4th is a majority minority district. The AA part of the district is rural white.  KKT Jr. is my name for Anthony Brown. 

29 minutes ago, Woodbuchr said:

If his health doesn't improve it may not be voluntary for Mike Busch.

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/house-speaker-michael-busch-to-undergo-liver-transplant/9965205

From what I have heard while in Annapolis last session Delegate Maggie McIntosh is the leading candidate to take his place as Speaker. That would put a woman, and a very Liberal one, in a position of considerable power in Annapolis.

Last month, doctors told Busch that his liver condition was getting progressively worse. On Thursday, he underwent a liver transplant to address issues with skin cancer medication.

i wonder how he got a liver that fast.  Average wait times are much longer.

21 hours ago, demopublican said:

i wonder how he got a liver that fast.  Average wait times are much longer.

The article stated from the "Living Donor" program and his sister.

http://www.americantransplantfoundation.org/about-transplant/living-donation/about-living-donation/living-liver-donation/

A liver transplant is a surgical procedure done in some patients with liver failure to replace their diseased liver with a healthy liver. When a patient receives a liver transplant, his or her entire liver is removed. It is then replaced by a portion of the donor’s healthy liver.