Manny

Vegan cafe charges male customers 18 percent ‘man tax’ and seats women first in bid to address gender pay gap

83 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Sprightly said:

I pretty much stick to a pescatarian diet.  I will give you my steak for your seafood! :)

I love fish, shrimp and most definitely crabs. But I would choose beef over seafood for life if I had to make a choice. 

A prime NY strip, charred and medium-rare, is a thing of beauty! :P

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

Implying black people in general don't act "normal"?

Suggesting only white people get up and go to work?

Sorry, those are way beyond what EL-FLIPPO said, even if both of you said things in jest.

First off....he started it with his 'white tax' thing,,,, if he was kidding then where was the smilie face. Sorry he sounded dead serious. Has he ever said chill I was kidding when I pushed a bit  by his comments?  NO

I was laying out a scenario to challenge mrs....that is it. How is one statement OK ...his and the other... mine not. Would I ever say that and MEAN IT...no....it would not be true.

I think I clarified the work thing

I don't know what the blip El was saying REALLY....but it sure came across to me as a racial WA remark.

PERIOD>

Edited by Guido2

23 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

I love fish, shrimp and most definitely crabs. But I would choose beef over seafood for life if I had to make a choice. 

A prime NY strip, charred and medium-rare, is a thing of beauty! :P

Agreed.  My Weber Genisis has that Infrared burner.  My wife makes the marinade and I do the grilling

8 minutes ago, demopublican said:

Agreed.  My Weber Genisis has that Infrared burner.  My wife makes the marinade and I do the grilling

I have a Genesis as well. It does a fantastic job putting a good char on a slab of meat when you heat it up for a solid 15 minutes. 

I like vegetables. As a side. Main course? Negative. I'm a predator. Not prey! :P

14 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

I have a Genesis as well. It does a fantastic job putting a good char on a slab of meat when you heat it up for a solid 15 minutes. 

I like vegetables. As a side. Main course? Negative. I'm a predator. Not prey! :P

Omnivores ruleB)

We tried grilled peaches last night on the baby charcoal weber.....to die for.:)

Vegan cafe charges male customers 18 percent ‘man tax’ and seats women first.

Now there is a poor business plan if I ever saw one, the plan or the business will probably not last long.

Its probably only being done for the free publicity that it gets in the very short term.

Its good business to make ALL customers as happy as possible

30 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

When I came down to Florida for my third interview the owner of the company had me and the family over to the house for a cookout.  He and I bonded over the genesis and getting stake charred and still rare.  Thanks Weber!

4 hours ago, Sprightly said:

I pretty much stick to a pescatarian diet.  I will give you my steak for your seafood! :)

You have any good fish recipes or cooking tips? I can do great with shellfish and salmon. But just plain white fish, cod, halibut etc, never seem to get it right. Broiling w butter, some seasoning--also seem to over or under cook and just bland. 

12 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

Omnivores ruleB)

We tried grilled peaches last night on the baby charcoal weber.....to die for.:)

Saw Jerry Seinfeld a couple years ago. Was talking about vegans.

Said he couldn't wait to go to his first vegan funeral. Was going to walk in and loudly state: "well, I guess THAT didn't work!"

😅😅😅

Like I'd go to a Vegan place. :D:lol::D

2 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Saw Jerry Seinfeld a couple years ago. Was talking about vegans.

Said he couldn't wait to go to his first vegan funeral. Was going to walk in and loudly state: "well, I guess THAT didn't work!"

😅😅😅

Remember running guru jim fixx?

Dropped dead of a heart attack at 52:o

2 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

Remember running guru jim fixx?

Dropped dead of a heart attack at 52:o

Worked with a guy years ago. Late 80s, early 90s. He was vegetarian before it was a thing. Anyway had a serious heart problem, surgery--don't recall the specifics. 

Post surgery his doctor told him he needed a heavy protein diet to build up damaged heart. Told him to start eating lean meat. To his credit, he appreciated the irony!

Read a couple things recently about the possible danger of a strict vegan diet for babies. Yikes.

3 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

You have any good fish recipes or cooking tips? I can do great with shellfish and salmon. But just plain white fish, cod, halibut etc, never seem to get it right. Broiling w butter, some seasoning--also seem to over or under cook and just bland. 

I have a very simple haddock recipe that is a favorite. 1lb of haddock; one cup of whole wheat bread crumbs (I like to make my own); pour three or four tablespoons of melted butter into the bread crumbs (to make a crumble).  Preheat oven to 350. Melt a little butter into the bottom of the baking pan. Salt and pepper the fish.  Sprinkle both sides of fish with bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. If the fish is extra thick, I sometimes need to add two or three minutes to the cook time.

I also make a wonderful grilled Mahi Mahi tacos (brush with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper and grill on medium high for about six minutes on each side). I top it with purple cabbage, lime juice, and sour cream/avocado crema. (Some people I know add cilantro but I am a no to cilantro so I don't use it.)

1 minute ago, Sprightly said:

I have a very simple haddock recipe that is a favorite. 1lb of haddock; one cup of whole wheat bread crumbs (I like to make my own); pour three or four tablespoons of melted butter into the bread crumbs (to make a crumble).  Preheat oven to 350. Melt a little butter into the bottom of the baking pan. Salt and pepper the fish.  Sprinkle both sides of fish with bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. If the fish is extra thick, I sometimes need to add two or three minutes to the cook time.

I also make a wonderful grilled Mahi Mahi tacos (brush with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper and grill on medium high for about six minutes on each side). I top it with purple cabbage, lime juice, and sour cream/avocado crema. (Some people I know add cilantro but I am a no to cilantro so I don't use it.)

Thx! Will try. Think I will let the fish come close to room temperature too.

My sister in law does a recipe with the fish in a foil packet, need to get that from her. 

Just now, ms maggie said:

Thx! Will try. Think I will let the fish come close to room temperature too.

My sister in law does a recipe with the fish in a foil packet, need to get that from her. 

Yes, fish and meat should be at room temp before cooking (just a few minutes out of the fridge).

5 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Yes, fish and meat should be at room temp before cooking (just a few minutes out of the fridge).

Have you ever made fish quenelles? I haven't, barely knew what they were. Out to dinner the other night and my husband ordered them, in lobster sauce.

Wonderful! Bit of a production to make but you sound like a good cook. Going to try it, great dish for a fancy dinner!

8 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Have you ever made fish quenelles? I haven't, barely knew what they were. Out to dinner the other night and my husband ordered them, in lobster sauce.

Wonderful! Bit of a production to make but you sound like a good cook. Going to try it, great dish for a fancy dinner!

No, I've never made it but it sounds a little out of my comfort zone. lol Good luck!

http://www.denverpost.com/2012/05/15/tofu-crab-cakes-with-simple-slaw/

Vegan Cooking for Carnivores,” by Roberto Martin. Makes 24 crab cakes.

Ingredients

SIMPLE SLAW

¼ head green cabbage, shredded (about 2 cups)

1 fat carrot, peeled and grated

1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise

½ teaspoon onion powder

½ bunch scallions, green parts only, cut on the bias

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

QUICK CRAB CAKE SAUCE

¼ cup whole-grain mustard

½ cup vegan mayonnaise

Juice of ½ small lemon

2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning

TOFU CRAB CAKES

Posted (edited)

36 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

I second on the cilantro.

Mrs fever (she who must be obeyed) and I took a chinese cuisine cooking class and one of the dishes was a whole steamed red snapper stuffed with cilantro. I'm not a big fan of it to begin with and just put a couple of sprigs in but the instructor thought otherwise and jammed about a half pound of the stuff into the fish.

By the time it was done the only thing one could smell was cilantro and neither one of us could eat the fish.:(

The stuff smells like embalming fluid.

Edited by Dr Johnny Fever

Science Explains Why Cilantro Tastes Like Soap For Certain People

When people say they hate cilantro, they often attribute this food feeling to a soapy aftertaste. Thanks to a new video from SciShow, we finally know why cilantro tastes like soap for some 4-14 percent of the population

“How cilantro tastes to you has a lot to do with your genes,” says SciShow’s Hank Green. He explains that after conducting a few separate studies, scientists were able to pin down most cilantro haters as people with a shared group of olfactory-receptor genes, called OR6A2, that pick up on the smell of aldehyde chemicals. Aldehyde chemicals are found in both cilantro and soap. Uh, yummy?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/24/why-does-cilantro-taste-bad-like-soap_n_7653808.html

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, songfourone said:

Science Explains Why Cilantro Tastes Like Soap For Certain People

When people say they hate cilantro, they often attribute this food feeling to a soapy aftertaste. Thanks to a new video from SciShow, we finally know why cilantro tastes like soap for some 4-14 percent of the population

“How cilantro tastes to you has a lot to do with your genes,” says SciShow’s Hank Green. He explains that after conducting a few separate studies, scientists were able to pin down most cilantro haters as people with a shared group of olfactory-receptor genes, called OR6A2, that pick up on the smell of aldehyde chemicals. Aldehyde chemicals are found in both cilantro and soap. Uh, yummy?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/24/why-does-cilantro-taste-bad-like-soap_n_7653808.html

Thank you....now I know.:)

Who says america has lost the cutting edge in scientific research?B)

Can you find anything correlating burning ping-pong balls and aberrant behavior?:D

Edited by Dr Johnny Fever

Just now, Dr Johnny Fever said:

It tastes like soap to me but not in a bad way, and it really adds to a dish if the entire plant isn't shoved up somewhere :D

Just now, songfourone said:

It tastes like soap to me but not in a bad way, and it really adds to a dish if the entire plant isn't shoved up somewhere :D

A little bit goes a long way.....now garlic and shallots........B)

4 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

Can you find anything correlating burning ping-pong balls and aberrant behavior?:D

Perhaps you should ask your therapist.....:D

Just now, songfourone said:

Perhaps you should ask your therapist.....:D

You are my therapist.:D