Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CROUSEMAN

Chris Davis clears revocable waivers

35 posts in this topic

Interesting, but according to mlbtraderumors it's a nothing  burger. Davis untradable with his contract and production. I found it just a little I teresting dd would even place him on waivers. Why bother?? Unless Peter is starting to get buyers remorse, lol!!!

One of the worst contracts in baseball (not THE worst), so this was obvious. Nobody will ever take this contract. Terrible contract.

To answer your question-teams frequently put EVERYONE on waivers sometimes just to see who can clear and who can't clear and also to create confusion intentionally. For example, maybe the Orioles want to see the market for Adam Jones (I hope this isn't true), but don't want him to know that, so they will put everyone on waivers and just say-well, it's our policy to put everyone through waivers..make sense?

2 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

To answer your question-teams frequently put EVERYONE on waivers sometimes just to see who can clear and who can't clear and also to create confusion intentionally. For example, maybe the Orioles want to see the market for Adam Jones (I hope this isn't true), but don't want him to know that, so they will put everyone on waivers and just say-well, it's our policy to put everyone through waivers..make sense?

Yeah true.  I could see buck getting his nose out of joint though. That's one of his guys!!  He doesn't want  crush distracted, lol!!  I know it's next to imlossible, but I'd really like to see either Davis or trumbo moved next winter. 

8 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

Yeah looking at some of the other names you are dead on. Harper, votto, upton. The entire mets team , lol!!! There a couple names like verlander that could get moved. Astros were talking.to tigers.

23 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Yeah looking at some of the other names you are dead on. Harper, votto, upton. The entire mets team , lol!!! There a couple names like verlander that could get moved. Astros were talking.to tigers.

yeah-they do it as a smokescreen with other players. The Nats one got me because I wondered who were they trying to cover up...Perez? Blanton? That isn't sensitive. I don't get it.

29 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Yeah true.  I could see buck getting his nose out of joint though. That's one of his guys!!  He doesn't want  crush distracted, lol!!  I know it's next to imlossible, but I'd really like to see either Davis or trumbo moved next winter. 

I heard it through the grapevine that the Tigers were interested in him.

1 hour ago, ncbirdfan said:

I heard it through the grapevine that the Tigers were interested in him.

Wait, what? No way. They are sellers at this point regardless.

1 minute ago, dshawg1 said:

Wait, what? No way. They are sellers at this point regardless.

Ha! They were supposedly the mystery team competing with the Orioles when the Orioles signed him to that monster contract.

Just now, ncbirdfan said:

Ha! They were supposedly the mystery team competing with the Orioles when the Orioles signed him to that monster contract.

They can have him, but no way any team takes him without us eating like $80M plus or significant prospects.

3 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

They can have him, but no way any team takes him without us eating like $80M plus or significant prospects.

IMO I don't think the Tigers were really interested in him then. The orioles competed against themselves.

9 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

IMO I don't think the Tigers were really interested in him then. The orioles competed against themselves.

Agree 110%. I like Chris so not trying to hate, but that contract is the reason we can't sign Manny.

2 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

Agree 110%. I like Chris so not trying to hate, but that contract is the reason we can't sign Manny.

I like Davis as well. It's the contract that I don't like. I believe the could have gotten him for a deal slightly more than they got Trumbo. Maybe one more year and a few more millions would have done it. But that's all hindsight now (even though I and others have said the same thing at the time).

Verlander cleared waivers, and there's still talk of a deal with Houston, but if Detroit is asking for prospects like Derek Fisher or Kyle Tucker, they can forget it. Verlander is owed $28 million each of the next two seasons, and any potential buyer is going to likely insist on considerable salary relief. 

7 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

I like Davis as well. It's the contract that I don't like. I believe the could have gotten him for a deal slightly more than they got Trumbo. Maybe one more year and a few more millions would have done it. But that's all hindsight now (even though I and others have said the same thing at the time).

You guys almost lured me into venting about the Crush contract. But the highlighted comment snapped me out of it. I'll probably spaz out about it again, at some point. 

2 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Verlander cleared waivers, and there's still talk of a deal with Houston, but if Detroit is asking for prospects like Derek Fisher or Kyle Tucker, they can forget it. Verlander is owed $28 million each of the next two seasons, and any potential buyer is going to likely insist on considerable salary relief. 

I suppose that's business as usual. The more money you eat, the better the return. Otherwise, it's a salary dump. And although JV has probably seen his best days, he's still a solid pitcher. 

29 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

I agree

2 minutes ago, weird-O said:

You guys almost lured me into venting about the Crush contract. But the highlighted comment snapped me out of it. I'll probably spaz out about it again, at some point. 

We all have those moments.:)

44 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

Agreed. Boras tried to hype interest by saying Davis could play RF too. A couple years later the O's did better with the Trumbo deal.

Posted (edited)

57 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I suppose that's business as usual. The more money you eat, the better the return. Otherwise, it's a salary dump. And although JV has probably seen his best days, he's still a solid pitcher. 

And I think it's an avenue worth pursuing for the Astros. They have a shot to get to the Series this year and they need to make the most of it. 

They were saying on the Oriole broadcast yesterday about how Detroit wants to significantly reduce its payroll next season. My immediate thought was good luck with that. Besides Verlander being due some $56 million over the next two seasons, the Tigers are also on the hook to Miguel Cabrera for $92 million for the next three years, and owe Justin Upton $22 million annually (assuming he doesn't opt out after this year) through 2021. The Tigers are also stuck with Jordan Zimmerman for three more years and $124 million, and owe Victor Martinez $18 million next season.

All of the above contracts contain either full or partial no-trade clauses. Unless the Tigers are going to ask for volunteers to fill their remaining roster spots, I don't see how they can dramatically reduce their payroll for the foreseeable future.

Edited by mdrunning

8 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

And I think it's an avenue worth pursuing for the Astros. They have a shot to get to the Series this year and they need to make the most of it. 

They were saying on the Oriole broadcast yesterday about how Detroit wants to significantly reduce its payroll next season. My immediate though was good luck with that. Besides Verlander being due some $56 million over the next two seasons, the Tigers are also on the hook to Miguel Cabrera for $92 million for the next three years, and owe Justin Upton $22 million annually (assuming he doesn't opt out after this year) through 2021. The Tigers are also stuck with Jordan Zimmerman for three more years and $124 million, and owe Victor Martinez $18 million next season.

All of the above contracts contain either full or partial no-trade clauses. Unless the Tigers are going to ask for volunteers to fill their remaining roster spots, I don't see how they can dramatically reduce their payroll for the foreseeable future.

Wow those are some good players but anchors for contracts. Detroit in tough shape with those bad boys. 

8 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

They were saying on the Oriole broadcast yesterday about how Detroit wants to significantly reduce its payroll next season. My immediate though was good luck with that. Besides Verlander being due some $56 million over the next two seasons, the Tigers are also on the hook to Miguel Cabrera for $92 million for the next three years, and owe Justin Upton $22 million annually (assuming he doesn't opt out after this year) through 2021. The Tigers are also stuck with Jordan Zimmerman for three more years and $124 million, and owe Victor Martinez $18 million next season.

Their owner really wanted a ring. You have to admire the dedication. He just hired the wrong GM. Dombrowski mistook limitless money for, "overpay everyone". Then he handed out those extension to Cabrera and JV, as if they already had one foot on the train, as it was pulling out of the station. 

Upton is a strange case. Statistically, he's a guy you want on your team. He has power, and is usually well above average at getting on base. But it still somehow seems like an overpay, that he's making $22M/yr. From what I've heard, he's like Davis. He has huge peaks and valleys during the season, but he pretty much ends with the stats you paid him to give you.  

6 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Their owner really wanted a ring. You have to admire the dedication. He just hired the wrong GM. Dombrowski mistook limitless money for, "overpay everyone". Then he handed out those extension to Cabrera and JV, as if they already had one foot on the train, as it was pulling out of the station. 

Upton is a strange case. Statistically, he's a guy you want on your team. He has power, and is usually well above average at getting on base. But it still somehow seems like an overpay, that he's making $22M/yr. From what I've heard, he's like Davis. He has huge peaks and valleys during the season, but he pretty much ends with the stats you paid him to give you.  

Dombrowski is all about the present; he'll burn prospects to get what he wants now in a heartbeat. He's not the guy you'd want to oversee a roster overhaul and he's doing the same thing in Boston. I was reading last week that the main reason the Red Sox weren't big players at the deadline was due to their farm system simply not being what it was a few years ago. Dombrowski has already unloaded 24 minor league prospects in his short time there. 

People criticize Duquette--and not always unjustifiably so--but should he leave after next season, at least he hasn't left the Orioles in a pickle payroll-wise. 

2 hours ago, mdrunning said:

They were saying on the Oriole broadcast yesterday about how Detroit wants to significantly reduce its payroll next season. My immediate thought was good luck with that. Besides Verlander being due some $56 million over the next two seasons, the Tigers are also on the hook to Miguel Cabrera for $92 million for the next three years, and owe Justin Upton $22 million annually (assuming he doesn't opt out after this year) through 2021. The Tigers are also stuck with Jordan Zimmerman for three more years and $124 million, and owe Victor Martinez $18 million next season.

Verlander is still a top of the rotation guy. Put him on Houston and they could make the Series. If Detroit would eat around 10-15 mil. it would be worth it.

Davis is not going anywhere with that contract. That and Angelos would never admit he way overpaid.