Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Baltimore Bike Share program hampered by thefts, lack of returns

27 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/investigations/bs-md-bike-share-delay-20170803-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1la1

When Baltimore launched its $2.36 million Baltimore Bike Share system last fall, officials said the program would begin with 200 bicycles at 20 stations, then expand to 500 bicycles at 50 stations in the spring.

Officials have pushed back the program’s expansion to this fall, blaming a delay in receiving a steel component for the bike docks from the manufacturer.

But the program has also been plagued by a high rate of the bikes stolen or otherwise not returned — so many that Corps Logistics, the subcontractor that operates the program and maintains the bikes, has devoted two employees solely to bike recovery, dispatching them daily around the city to pick up bikes left leaning against trees or discarded in alleys.

… Baltimore police don’t keep a count of specific bike-share bicycle thefts, spokesman T.J. Smith said. Officers often will refer the bikes they find directly to Duffney without taking a report, Smith said.

“We aren’t taking an inordinate amount of reports for stolen bikes,” Smith said. “Some might be taken or left discarded. They might not be reported as a theft.”

Must be those people in McHenry Row and Canton Square who are ruining things for everyone.

Put a chip in them so they can be tracked.

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

That's using common sense...

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

The article notes the bikes are equipped with GPS.

5 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

And that they are finding them......

Just not where they are supposed to be ....

27 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

I'll read the article next time. :unsure:

Seriously, who could've predicted that they wouldn't be returned in perfect condition with the seat wiped clean??

:rolleyes: 

I believe these bikes can only be rented with a credit card. How dumb are people to leave them some place and not return. They all gonna get an added cost on their card.

16 hours ago, stevez51 said:

I believe these bikes can only be rented with a credit card. How dumb are people to leave them some place and not return. They all gonna get an added cost on their card.

Only if it is their card.

30 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

Only if it is their card.

True .....

The program is a good program just can't understand how people can't remember where to return the bikes.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, bogart said:

The program is a good program just can't understand how people can't remember where to return the bikes.

Yes I think it is an excellent program.

However. My bet is that most of the 'missing' bikes were rented on stolen cards, or the bikes were rented properly and 'borrowed' when the renter was careless, or as the article pointed out some have been plain flat out stolen from the racks.

Of course there is also the slim possibility that a percentage of 'missing' bikes were legitimately rented and those renters were just too stupid or wacked on something (pub crawls will do that) to read/remember the return instructions. :rolleyes:

Edited by Guido2

3 hours ago, bogart said:

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

Yes I think it is an excellent program.

However. My bet is that most of the 'missing' bikes were rented on stolen cards, or the bikes were rented properly and 'borrowed' when the renter was careless, or as the article pointed out some have been plain flat out stolen from the racks.

Of course there is also the slim possibility that a percentage of 'missing' bikes were legitimately rented and those renters were just too stupid or wacked on something (pub crawls will do that) to read/remember the return instructions. :rolleyes:

Yeah.  It's probably just a memory problem. 

3 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

Yeah.  It's probably just a memory problem. 

;)

I was trying to be PC and nice.....but you saw right through me didn't cha. :lol:

another expensive feel-good program for the City fallen to the ubiquitous criminal element.

Wonder how many of SRB's expensive trash cans are still around and being used.

Just one fun thing after another in the whirling world that is Baltimore City.

And now Mayor Pugh wants to give free community college tuition to city "students." This, when they have problems getting them through high school. Just more free chit!!

15 hours ago, retired said:

another expensive feel-good program for the City fallen to the ubiquitous criminal element.

And now Mayor Pugh wants to give free community college tuition to city "students." This, when they have problems getting them through high school. Just more free chit!!

If they can pass them along in high school just a threat of funding for colleges will pass them along there also.

On 8/9/2017 at 9:17 AM, bogart said:

Oh, the mindset of Democrats. :D

On 8/9/2017 at 9:17 AM, bogart said:

Your lack of understanding could be predicated on the possibility that the "renters" of the provided transportation had no intentions of returning them to the "point of sale."

On 8/15/2017 at 5:18 PM, retired said:

As far as I can tell the trash cans are still around and being used. They weren't free. City taxpayers paid for them. 

Also, they're apparently serving their intended purpose.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-trash-cans-20170118-story,amp.html

18 hours ago, Manny said:

Oh, the mindset of Democrats. :D

Oh the mindset of stalkers.:D

20 hours ago, Marshan Man said:

As far as I can tell the trash cans are still around and being used. They weren't free. City taxpayers paid for them. 

Also, they're apparently serving their intended purpose.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-trash-cans-20170118-story,amp.html

Oh it is I am sure that many are around and working.

However we folk in the county BUY OUR OWN TRASH CANS WITH LIDS AND USE THEM.

Oh and btw .... I am more than sure that my STATE tax dollars in some way shape or form (due to money shuffling) paid for the cities cans.

God what happens when people live in the city....is the brain removed? Ohh ohhhh it is too hard to figure out that it is my trash and I have to buy a garbage can. SSSSshhehsssssssh.

Now after observing the video....here is the real reason BIGGEST reason. Cost savings.....

If you look at the vid.....they have what appears to one guy....using a lift to dump the garbage... that means the cans have to be standard for the lift.

So ..... one less guy pitching garbage.

But the rats going away is nice.

Edited by Guido2

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, blowboatbethesda said:

Your lack of understanding could be predicated on the possibility that the "renters" of the provided transportation had no intentions of returning them to the "point of sale."

Tell that to channel 45 they are the ones saying it. 

On 8/7/2017 at 3:07 PM, Pickle20 said: