Ode2Joy

Baltimore Bike Share program hampered by thefts, lack of returns

80 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Stealimore

Edited by Srt8

25 minutes ago, Srt8 said:
On 8/7/2017 at 3:07 PM, Pickle20 said:

Put a chip in them so they can be tracked.

They have a GPS tracking system. 

On 8/9/2017 at 9:17 AM, bogart said:

The program is a good program just can't understand how people can't remember where to return the bikes.

Yeah, that's it. :(

7 hours ago, NumberOneJimmy said:

Yeah, that's it. :(

Never said it was.

6 hours ago, bogart said:

Never said it was.

You suggested it with "maybe". :D

17 hours ago, NumberOneJimmy said:

You suggested it with "maybe". :D

I don't see maybe anywhere in my statement now go away and troll someone else.

Posted (edited)

Considering the abysmal school testing scores of the city students.  Maybe they don't understand they are supposed to actually return the bikes.

Of course now that the new school opened, with all the usual fanfare and promises.  The first group to go there will be tops in the state.

Granted not all users are city school students.

Edited by overtaxed

19 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

Considering the abysmal school testing scores of the city students.  Maybe they don't understand they are supposed to actually return the bikes.

Of course now that the new school opened, with all the usual fanfare and promises.  The first group to go there will be tops in the state.

I'm pretty sure most users aren't city school students. 

What is the fine for not returning the bikes?

13 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

What is the fine for not returning the bikes?

It must not be much if it keeps happening.

After 12 consecutive hours, the Baltimore Bike Share bike will be considered stolen and a fee of $2,000 will be charged to your credit card, unless reported to Baltimore Bike Share differently. If you have a problem, please call customer service at 1-844-97B-MORE (1-844-972-6673).

https://www.bmorebikeshare.com/#how-it-works

Assuming the credit card can handle the charge, good job in coming up with that number.

6 hours ago, overtaxed said:

Lack of discipline in their lives couldn't have anything to do with growing up stupid. Nawwwww :lol:

What do school kids have to do with this story?

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

What do school kids have to do with this story?

I thought some may have been using the bikes to possibly get to various libraries and their jobs.  I am sure, that at some point, a school age person has used the bikes.

13 hours ago, Marshan Man said:

I'm pretty sure most users aren't city school students. 

Users ...legimate renters absolutely correct. 'Borrowers'....also not students since they likely dropped out.

So yah you are correct. :lol:

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

I thought some may have been using the bikes to possibly get to various libraries and their jobs.  I am sure, that at some point, a school age person has used the bikes.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very good. Why use a bike.....I understand that kids THAT ARE IN SCHOOL have free bus passes.

Jobs JOBS??????????????....there are no jobs in the city according to some. So they need a bike because???????????????????????

Library? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA Now if you said the local BB court or rec center you would be closer to the truth.

Way funny.

Edited by Guido2

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very good. Why use a bike.....I understand that kids THAT ARE IN SCHOOL have free bus passes.

Jobs JOBS??????????????....there are no jobs in the city according to some. So they need a bike because???????????????????????

Library? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA Now if you said the local BB court or rec center you would be closer to the truth.

Way funny.

Must make you feel proud of yourself to sit on a computer and put down people less fortunate than yourself, or are they?

Edited by bogart

Posted (edited)

21 minutes ago, bogart said:

Must make you feel proud of yourself to sit on a computer and put down people less fortunate than yourself, or are they?

Just because you are less fortunate doesn't give one the right to steal...nor does it prevent one from making a decision to go to the library rather than hang on the corner or play Bball.

Are you proud that you have to constantly defend the un-defendable?

Not to bore you; but I grew up in a family with massive medical debt from my older brother (Long dead but the bills stayed). My father drove a bus my mother a stay at home Mom. Frankly, by todays standards/inflation reversal...WE WERE POOR. Yet, my father improved himself got better jobs in Transportation Coordination in NYC and OH MY GOD....took a bus...for 1 hour one way...to the city and back to build a better life.

So end result they paid off the home, paid off cars,, managed to put both myself and my sister through college. And without one goooberment program helping them out. Ohhh I forgot they also paid of what in todays dollars was a 3/4 of a million dollar debt to the hospital for my brothers experimental treatment.

So you have any clue what it is like to have to pay a hospital 10 bucks a week and 1 dollar a week to the funeral home on a take home paycheck of around 100? That's what they did.

Oh and I forgot to mention.....both my mother and my father were raised by their mothers. Both fathers died at a very early age....when both were around 5 or so.

I think I have covered all the excuses put forth about some in the city in respect to my life.

So. Yeah excuse me if I have a slightly different view than you do of some in the city. NOTE I said SOME!

Edited by Guido2

5 hours ago, overtaxed said:

Not without a credit/debit card they didn't.

On 8/23/2017 at 7:33 PM, stevez51 said:

It must not be much if it keeps happening.

Get real ....they can't keep drug dealers and shooters in jail or even prosecute them. You think some bikes and punishment for stealing them is real high on the to do list?

According to a reddit user from Baltimore who drove past all the stations yesterday afternoon these were the available bikes at each location.

As of 5:59 PM 8-24-17, ratio of bikes to docks:

Can Company: 1/11

Patterson Park: 0/16

Broadway and Monument: 0/12

McHenry Row: 1/15

Brown Advisory @ Bond St. Wharf: 0/16

Constellation @ Harbor Point: 1/15

Harbor East: 6/17

Shot Tower Metro: 2/15

National Aquarium: 4/13

City Hall: 4/16

Baltimore Visitor Center: 7/9

Pratt & Light: 1/15

Cathedral & Eager: 5/6

Mt. Vernon Market Place: 3/13

Hotel Indigo: 1/9

Lexington Market: 1/19

BGE @ Center Plaza: 2/14

Hopkins Place: 1/15

Pratt & Howard: 2/11

Camden Yards: 0/12

University of MD BioPark: 2/13

Cross St. Market: 2/22

Hollins Market: 0/10

Union Sq: 1/11

Posted (edited)

Hmmmmm well that could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Being 6pm maybe they are truly legitimately in use :rolleyes:....sun goes down later now.

However I am cynical....

So the question begs the answer to 'ahhhhhh excuse me where are these bikes. Are they on extended rental? Are they in the repair shop? Or are they MIA.

My bet is MIA

Further proof of the fine populace and gooberment that make up Charm City.

Edited by Guido2

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-bike-share-shutdown-20170912-story.html

Batimore is temporarily shutting down its $2.36 million bike-share program, which has suffered so many thefts and maintenance backups that most of the bicycles are out of service.

Baltimore Bike Share will close Sunday and reopen Oct. 15 to provide time for the installation of additional locking equipment on the bicycle docks and to prepare for an overdue expansion of the system, city officials said Tuesday.  “We wanted to let our subscribers know we’re taking it really seriously,” said Michelle Pourciau, the city’s transportation director. “We’re committed to this. We’re working closely on it. We’re keeping our eyes on it.”

And this surprises Who" Only a Gov't entity would come up with an idea like this. Any Pvt Co would look at it from the outset and see the Risks then throw the idea and likely the person who came up with it out the window. Costanza? Kramer? Anyone with an ounce of sense would tell you that the bikes would disappear faster than they could replace them.