Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Baltimore Bike Share program hampered by thefts, lack of returns

80 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bartman said:

And this surprises Who" Only a Gov't entity would come up with an idea like this. Any Pvt Co would look at it from the outset and see the Risks then throw the idea and likely the person who came up with it out the window. Costanza? Kramer? Anyone with an ounce of sense would tell you that the bikes would disappear faster than they could replace them.

But you see.....in the private sector you have to put up or shut up. In goooberment, it is all feel good look what I am doing....vote for me...not productivitiy.

That being said.....I thought the 'concept' was great....sharing bikes...giving tourist an easy way to explore our glorious city.....less cars more healthy people working out their lungs, legs and hearts. Great idea!

Not BC .... way to many criminals and anti-social types....to take advantage of more  'free stuff'. A blind pig could have seen this happening a mile away.

They say 'temporary' shutdown....which like many things is a lead into.....well maybe if we say temporary....it will just fade away...and not be pointed out as yet another massive failure.

Look I hope that someway or somehow the goooberment and the vendors can get a handle on this... I really do.

But face it.....like most everything BC....it is too much heavy lifting to really 'fix' it.

Wonder where the thieves sold all the stolen bikes.  They must have some BC Property markings. Or maybe they just tossed the bikes into the harbor.

Wonder what ready-to-fail feel-good program Madame Mayor will introduce next . If you build it, they will steal it.

The bikes must have really been battered and bashed about if they required so much maintenance that there was a backlog.

Edited by retired

6 minutes ago, retired said:

Wonder where the thieves sold all the stolen bikes.  They must have some BC Property markings. Or maybe they just tossed the bikes into the harbor.

Wonder what ready-to-fail feel-good program Madame Mayor will introduce next . If you build it, they will steal it.

The bikes must have really been battered and bashed about if they required so much maintenance that there was a backlog.

Yes, you could say that they're marked.

The GPS and anti-theft devices alone are likely worth more than the cycles themselves. 

On 9/13/2017 at 6:50 AM, Baltimatt said:

Looks like they cleaned up that article .....

When I read it the other day I would have swore there was a quote in there from the company along the lines of while they have seen theft in other cities they have never seen it at the levels that it happened here .....

Yea, we're number 1 .....

4 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

When I read it the other day I would have swore there was a quote in there from the company along the lines of while they have seen theft in other cities they have never seen it at the levels that it happened here .....

Yes, I read the same thing.

Light for All! 

On 9/15/2017 at 8:49 PM, blowboatbethesda said:

Yes, I read the same thing.

Light for All! 

The Baltimore Eclipse Paper. Ultraviolet for All

Edited by Guido2

On 9/15/2017 at 8:29 PM, retired said:

Sold in one piece....no. they would be Broken down .....as they do with cars that have been stolen......gears, batteries etc. easy sell....now the frame.....I am sure than one shredder would purchase the frames with a nod nod wink wink.

Hope I brightened you day. :D;)

Yeah, Guido, just a little ray of municipal sunshine!!

13 minutes ago, retired said:

Yeah, Guido, just a little ray of municipal sunshine!!

:D

On 9/15/2017 at 8:43 PM, Eastside Terp said:

My guess is some editor got his panties in a bunch and thought pointing out the facts amounted to racism.

10 hours ago, Manny said:

My guess is some editor got his panties in a bunch and thought pointing out the facts amounted to racism.

Ohhhhh yessssss I can see their logic. :rolleyes:

Most people are black in BC, most all the criminals in BC are black, so the editior assumed that everyone will assume it is black theives that are stealing the bikes. Hence ....it is racist to bring out any thefts. :huh: Even though whites could have possibly stolen some of the bikes. :lol:

another first for Baltimore, the "Baltimore Lock"

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-bike-share-baltimore-lock-20170928-story.html

Bike share manufacturer designing 'Baltimore lock' to prevent theft

When school let out for the summer and bicycle thefts began to plague the $2.36 million Baltimore Bike Share system, the manufacturer began working on a new lock for the docks — one that could withstand thieves yanking bikes out by the handlebars.

Bewegen, the Canadian manufacturer, believes it has come up with a solution: a steel “Baltimore lock” that automatically clamps the bicycles in the station when they’re pulled on, along with other security measures, said Chris King, its new Canton-based U.S. marketing adviser.

Edited by boink

This was from last month, but a bike station has been hit by an MTA bus twice.

https://baltimorebrew.com/2017/08/26/mta-bus-knocks-over-a-baltimore-bikeshare-station-again/

In a literal clash of transportation modes – that has reportedly occurred at least once before – a Maryland Transit Administration bus knocked down the Bikeshare station at the University of Maryland Baltimore Thursday.

“Luckily no one was harmed in the accident,” said the post on the Facebook page for Corps Logistics, the subcontractor that operates the program for the city and maintains the bikes for the city.

Photos show the toppled kiosk, located on Baltimore Street, disconnected at its base and resting at a 45-degree angle above pieces of broken glass. Several of the docking stations appear damaged as well and a bike looked to have been dislodged.

5 hours ago, boink said:

another first for Baltimore, the "Baltimore Lock"

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-bike-share-baltimore-lock-20170928-story.html

Bike share manufacturer designing 'Baltimore lock' to prevent theft

When school let out for the summer and bicycle thefts began to plague the $2.36 million Baltimore Bike Share system, the manufacturer began working on a new lock for the docks — one that could withstand thieves yanking bikes out by the handlebars.

Bewegen, the Canadian manufacturer, believes it has come up with a solution: a steel “Baltimore lock” that automatically clamps the bicycles in the station when they’re pulled on, along with other security measures, said Chris King, its new Canton-based U.S. marketing adviser.

Baltimore seems to have a propensity for 'firsts'....most all negative.

2 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

This was from last month, but a bike station has been hit by an MTA bus twice.

https://baltimorebrew.com/2017/08/26/mta-bus-knocks-over-a-baltimore-bikeshare-station-again/

I love it..... quote: “I don’t know why this is happening,”  Cornish said.

Ahhhhhh crappy drivers....poorly proximity placement of the racks........

Welllllllll dddduuuhhhhhhhhhh. SMH....

48 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I love it..... quote: “I don’t know why this is happening,”  Cornish said.

Ahhhhhh crappy drivers....poorly proximity placement of the racks........

Welllllllll dddduuuhhhhhhhhhh. SMH....

Or a crazed bus driver thinking, now you'll take the bus .....

4 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Or a crazed bus driver thinking, now you'll take the bus .....

:lol: .......

Actually if my observations are correct....seems I see smiling happy bus drivers when the bus is empty.....not so if there are passengers. So that statement might not be true. :lol:

Edited by Guido2

As a biker, I hoped this would work, although my cynical self sort of knew it would be problematic. 

Does anyone know what other cities this company operates in? I have a hard time believing that any other large urban center would so different that a special design would be needed just for our losers. I'm pretty sure cities like Boston could easily handle it, but certainly bike shares are in just about every major city.

I thank my parents, because I simply can't grasp why some people seem to need to mess with other peoples property. Often for no real gain.

We had kids from the apartments beyond the woods at the end of our dead end street, busted for flipping car door handles on their way to the bus stop. I got hit (nothing in the car, a convertible that I left unlocked to keep the top from being cut) but they took my EZ Pass transponder. I'm betting they had no idea what it was. That mindset has me concerned for the neighborhood, as these kids get older. 

16 hours ago, pepper said:

As a biker, I hoped this would work, although my cynical self sort of knew it would be problematic. 

Does anyone know what other cities this company operates in? I have a hard time believing that any other large urban center would so different that a special design would be needed just for our losers. I'm pretty sure cities like Boston could easily handle it, but certainly bike shares are in just about every major city.

I thank my parents, because I simply can't grasp why some people seem to need to mess with other peoples property. Often for no real gain.

We had kids from the apartments beyond the woods at the end of our dead end street, busted for flipping car door handles on their way to the bus stop. I got hit (nothing in the car, a convertible that I left unlocked to keep the top from being cut) but they took my EZ Pass transponder. I'm betting they had no idea what it was. That mindset has me concerned for the neighborhood, as these kids get older. 

By the bolds:

-It is not being cynical. It is being a realist.

-The operate in multiple cites in our nation and Canada. I recall some Sun article wondering what you are wondering 'do other cities have this problem'. Answer NO. I remember the article interviewed some rep from BEWEGEN . And the were dumbfounded and said they never had this kind of problem. Or at the very least not of this magnitude. BTW Howard county put in rentals....do you hear anything from there?

If you care to dig....here are plenty of links about the company and where has bikes. Also Howard article is 2nd.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bewegen+bike+share+&oq=bewegen+bike+share+&gs_l=psy-ab.12..35i39k1j0i22i30k1.54542.56616.0.60268.6.6.0.0.0.0.167.948.0j6.6.0.dummy_maps_web_fallback...0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.6.944...33i21k1.0.kNDfzek9jT0

http://bewegen.com/tag/bike-share/

- Grasp it. I was brought up the same way. I realized early there are way too many people that were not brought up as you and I. That is why I have a loaded shotgun in my home and always carry a very big knife when out and about....since I can't carry a pistol legally.

Again not paranoid not cycnical....just practical. My experience has dictated that when you punch 911 ...cops don't beam in like Star Trek.

-My bet is that those apartments also have subsidized tenants. Am I correct? And nothing happened to the kids other than getting picked up and getting 50 lashes with a wet noodle. Oh an be concerned about the neighborhood VERY CONCERENED.....likely these kids aren't even up to JV thug level yet....but that is how it starts.

Edited by Guido2

Not going to grasp it, I'm a happily married man. :)

I do understand that Human Nature demands that some people will constantly seek any perceived advantage by any means, and sleep well. For me, your things are yours, and are off limits unconsciously.  I'm by no means without flaws, I just try to keep that stuff in house.

I don't honestly know about the financials of the apartment tenets. It's a typical setup in Baltimore County, so I'd have to assume subsidies are available. It's pretty quiet though, and is very well kept. (we walk the walking dead dog there a few times a week) When I pass the bus stop at the end of our street in the morning at the right time, it's actually like the Girl Scout cookie box image of diversity, but maybe 50% white kids.

When we got married in 87 we lived in Dunfield Apts. in Perry Hall and it was the same set up. Those apartments also (at the time at least) abutted some single home areas. No doubt someone there made their own assumptions about us renters. 

We are fortunate in that we could leave if our investment were threatened. The car break is a concern, but that was three years ago, and all quiet since. Except seriously, someone just fired up a mower at 9:00, and I think thats too early on a beautiful Sunday morning. They were not raised right.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-bike-share-returns-20171012-story.html

About 50 bikes — a quarter of the initial Baltimore Bike Share fleet — will return to the streets Sunday, following a monthlong shutdown sparked by widespread thefts and maintenance backups, city officials said.

The refurbished bicycles have received upgraded GPS technology, paint and hardware. They will be available for rent at some of the docking stations around the city, according to the city Department of Transportation.

Jay Decker, the city’s bike share coordinator, and Veronica McBeth, the transit chief, said Thursday that they did not know how many stations, or which ones, would have improved locks installed in time to be reopened Sunday. But they are hopeful that the soft relaunch would give users faith in a rebound for the system.

6 hours ago, Guido2 said:

i figure it will back to what it was....stolen bikes and such...buy the first snow fall.

New locks will mean more more people knocked off a bike to steal them.

Does BPD have the resources to divert from shootings and murders to do GPS searches for missing bikes?