Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baltimatt

Woman fired for pretending to be white

19 posts in this topic

I can't quite make heads or tails out of this story.

Quote

 

A FORMER employee of Flight Centre Travel Group has taken legal action against the company after she was fired for allegedly identifying as a white woman while she is coloured.

According to documents seen by The Namibian, Alex van Wyk was charged with gross dishonesty, alternatively negligence, supplying false information, and misinforming the company after she ticked the “white” box on a company form, while they believe she had to identify as a non-white.

Van Wyk claims she was constructively dismissed as she was forced to resign from the company.

 

Ms. Van Wyk worked in the Namibia office of the South African company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Everybody 'gets' that kind of race-switching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, hst2 said:

 Everybody 'gets' that kind of race-switching.

We know of a former branch leader of the NAACP who did.

Edited by jonsensback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

South Africa must not be as enlightened as the U.S. yet.  They probably still think if you have a penis and testicles you're a male, and black people are,.....uh......black?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

South Africa must not be as enlightened as the U.S. yet.  They probably still think if you have a penis and testicles you're a male, and black people are,.....uh......black?

She's coloured, not black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Baltimatt said:

She's coloured, not black.

I was just being sarcastic. And out of curiosity, what is the difference between "coloured" and "colored"? And if she is neither black or white, what color is she? And could they proove she was a "coloured woman?". If so , how? They must be a bunch of bigoted racists down there. Isn't it up to her?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

van Wyk is one of those white Afrikaner surnames...more Dutch than anything else.

I'll play 1-drop-rule for $5000, Alex.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

I was just being sarcastic. And out of curiosity, what is the difference between "coloured" and "colored"? And if she is neither black or white, what color is she? And could they proove she was a "coloured woman?". If so , how? They must be a bunch of bigoted racists down there. Isn't it up to her?

Sorry, I was in the middle of cooking dinner earlier and didn't have time to elaborate.

Coloured is the British (and South African) spelling and refers to people who are of mixed race, neither black nor white.

Again, something seems to be missing from the article, at least from the point a view of an American not familiar with the racial ins and outs of South African and Namibia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

van Wyk is one of those white Afrikaner surnames...more Dutch than anything else.

I'll play 1-drop-rule for $5000, Alex.

A lot of the coloured population speaks Afrikaans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Sorry, I was in the middle of cooking dinner earlier and didn't have time to elaborate.

Coloured is the British (and South African) spelling and refers to people who are of mixed race, neither black nor white.

Again, something seems to be missing from the article, at least from the point a view of an American not familiar with the racial ins and outs of South African and Namibia.

Oh... Half Black.  What's missing is a pic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

A lot of the coloured population speaks Afrikaans. 

Agreed.

Afrikaans is the dialect.

Afrikaner is the ethnicity.

Not unlike the African-American George Washington Carver speaking English.

People who have been enslaved, colonized, subjected to Jim Crow or Apartheid have experienced their language, culture, & ethnicity turned completely topsy-turvey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

matt.....for God's sake.

like we don't have enough racial issues and now you have to import them?

:D:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

matt.....for God's sake.

like we don't have enough racial issues and now you have to import them?

:D:D

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

Agreed.

Afrikaans is the dialect.

Afrikaner is the ethnicity.

Not unlike the African-American George Washington Carver speaking English.

People who have been enslaved, colonized, subjected to Jim Crow or Apartheid have experienced their language, culture, & ethnicity turned completely topsy-turvey.

Think Afrikaners are the descendants of the Dutch settlers, white not coloured.

But maybe that's what you're saying.

Edited by ms maggie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

I can't quite make heads or tails out of this story.

Ms. Van Wyk worked in the Namibia office of the South African company.

I have to assume that you posted this for benefit of hst2. Maybe he needed a race story from South Africa to get him through the evening? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Think Afrikaners are the descendants of the Dutch settlers, white not coloured.

But maybe that's what you're saying.

 

3 hours ago, EL-FLIPPO said:

van Wyk is one of those white Afrikaner surnames...more Dutch than anything else.

I'll play 1-drop-rule for $5000, Alex.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.mtv.co.za/news/meet-refentse-morake-a-19-year-old-black-afrikaans-singer/hq67j5

Quote

When you first hear “Afrikaans singer” there are two images that are likely to come to mind. A racist old man with a guitar, or a younger, well-dressed millinial with highlights in their hair and a silky voice. One thing that unfortunately does not always come to mind is the word “black”.  Well, Refentse Morake is out to change that. 

The 19-year-old from Vereeneging first caught our attention when he appeared in a string of viral music videos:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its rarely wise to keep a liar on your payroll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't she have said, sorry, I checked the wrong box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0