Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Towsongirl

Old town Towson question

6 posts in this topic

I was talking to someone recently and reminiscing about the old Hutzler's store in the mid 70's. There was a little organic market behind it, but neither of us could remember its name. The little market was behind a hippie style drop in youth center at the time called Brotherhood of Man. It was like a rap center, drug free, and there was this little market behind it that had the best Powerhouse sandwiches. If anyone remembers this place, I'd surelike to hear from you. 

Welcome back :)

I worked at the Towson Hutzlers in the early 70s, and I vaguely remember a place called Brotherhood of Man but that's about it. There's several Facebook groups that are all about old Baltimore, there surely must be one (or more) for Old Towson. You could join and ask there, if no one here knows. 

I remember it well since I worked there for awhile. It was called "the powerhouse" and was owned by a woman named jane.

A "powerhouse" sandwich was multigrain bread with bean sprouts, tomatoes, colby cheese, oil and vinegar. They also carried a full line of vitamins and supplements as well as bulk goods. My favorite item, when available, was the fresh squeezed apple juice. It was my job to drive the van to pennsylvania and bring back as many gallon jugs of the stuff I could cram into it after drinking my fill as the juice came out of the press. It was wonderful.

At some point a burger king was built next door and I would occasionally get a whopper and eat it at the lunch counter at the powerhouse....blew their minds.:o

Posted (edited)

Hi, it's great to see that people remember this place. I also found this link...thanks PinkFlamingo for reminding me about google...I'm not the world's most tech savvy gal.

https://www.chowhound.com/post/natural-foods-towson-susquehanna-av-courthouse-771721

Dr Johnny...I had forgotten about the Burger King that popped up next to the Powerhouse Natural Food store. That was so frowned upon, right next to a health food store.

There is a photo on page 2 of the link, toward the end, maybe one of you will recognize the woman in the picture. She might have been the owner?

If I recall, there was also a little thrift store there, either above the natural food store or in a separate house, but I remember going up a winding staircase. It moved to another location in Towson after a while. I was going to The Powerhouse in 1974 or therabout. I was around 16 then and would take the bus up York Road.

Edited by Towsongirl

19 hours ago, Towsongirl said:

Hi, it's great to see that people remember this place. I also found this link...thanks PinkFlamingo for reminding me about google...I'm not the world's most tech savvy gal.

https://www.chowhound.com/post/natural-foods-towson-susquehanna-av-courthouse-771721

Dr Johnny...I had forgotten about the Burger King that popped up next to the Powerhouse Natural Food store. That was so frowned upon, right next to a health food store.

There is a photo on page 2 of the link, toward the end, maybe one of you will recognize the woman in the picture. She might have been the owner?

If I recall, there was also a little thrift store there, either above the natural food store or in a separate house, but I remember going up a winding staircase. It moved to another location in Towson after a while. I was going to The Powerhouse in 1974 or therabout. I was around 16 then and would take the bus up York Road.

I do believe that is her and her son. The building is different but the business moved a couple of times. When I worked there it was in a rickety, 2 story, converted residential house-the parking lot was unpaved and after a good rain cars were frequently stuck. I remember the stairs going to the 2nd floor because the bulk food was there and I would schlepp 50lb bags of stuff up them.

The good old days.:)

My fitness crazy wife worked in Towson  in the 80s when I met her .....

Seemed like she ate a powerhouse for lunch just about every day ......