Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OriginalColtsFan

What The Hell-ickson 8/8/17 game thread

31 posts in this topic

O's 1.5 games out of the 2nd WC spot.

GO O'S!!

The Angels starter looks real solid. DD ought to trade for him....

Game. Saving. Rally.

1 hour ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

Watching Davis hit is like watching Tillman pitch.

Ouch.

Posted (edited)

DAMN that was some UGLY BASE RUNNING BY SMITH! Good LORD!

Does that third base coach have any idea what he's doing?!!

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

And Jones with one of his patented strikeouts at a ball in the dirt. What a wasted inning.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

I guess it prevents a double play.

So you FAKE running home from third then stop. It was fielded by the third baseman. He wasn't going to be able to run over and tag Smith out. It was just effin stupid.

It's exactly those sorts of things that prove Showalter does NOT have his players, or his coaches, drilled in basic fundamentals.

And. Unbelievably. MORE moronic base running. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

The Orioles just can't seem to stand prosperity.

Damn, this is the seventh time this season the Orioles have had a chance to go over .500 and instead, they're about to go oh-fer.

14 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

Damn, this is the seventh time this season the Orioles have had a chance to go over .500 and instead, they're about to go oh-fer.

And how many times have they literally run themselves out of games?

And while it's great that they win games on homers, you can just SEE them at the plate going for home runs instead of just shortening their swings and going for base hits. It's beyond frustrating.

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

And how many times have they literally run themselves out of games?

And while it's great that they win games on homers, you can just SEE them at the plate going for home runs instead of just shortening their swings and going for base hits. It's beyond frustrating.

I didn't see the play in question, so I can't comment, but while I don't think baserunning has been that big of a negative, there have been a number of occasions this year where they threw to the wrong base, missed cutoff men and a number of botched run-downs. Those are the types of plays which drive you up a tree.

It's no wonder, though, that Hellickson ran out of gas in the seventh because he had, what, about 90 seconds between innings? Bridwell was throwing a 92 mph fastball with very average secondary stuff and we were just helping him along. What hurts more, though, is having Chris Davis batting in the four hole and striking out seemingly three out of every four times he comes up. All we needed was a fly ball in that instance and it's a one-run game. Instead, he whiffs for the third time and then Mancini's fly to left is simply the last out of the inning.

Edited by mdrunning

8 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

I didn't see the play in question, so I can't comment, but while I don't think baserunning has been that big of a negative, there have been a number of occasions this year where they threw to the wrong base, missed cutoff men and a number of botched run-downs. Those are the types of plays which drive you up a tree.

It's no wonder, though, that Hellickson ran out of gas in the seventh because he had, what, about 90 seconds between innings? Bridwell was throwing a 92 mph fastball with very average secondary stuff and we were just helping him along. What hurts more, though, is having Chris Davis batting in the four hole and striking out seemingly three out of every four times he comes up. All we needed was a fly ball in that instance and it's a one-run game. Instead, he whiffs for the third time and then Mancini's fly to left is simply the last out of the inning.

Go back and watch the TWO running errors in this game, then we'll talk.

;)

8 hours ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

Watching Davis hit is like watching Tillman pitch.

Good thing Buck continues to bat him 4th or 5th.  Trying to win is dumb.

Good thing we traded Bridwell for cash/PTBNL.

Another solid move by Danny Boy.

51 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Good thing we traded Bridwell for cash/PTBNL.

Another solid move by Danny Boy.

These guys are a combined 37-19 this year...

Bridwell: 6-1, 3.00 ERA, 1.19 WHIP

Davies: 13-5, 4.18 ERA, 1.36 WHIP  (3.47 ERA over his last 19 starts)

Miranda: 7-5, 4.65 ERA, 1.16 WHIP  (the HR is his problem)

Arrieta: 11-8, 3.83 ERA, 1.20 WHIP  (this is a HORRIBLE season for him compared to the last three years)

Not going to get in to the usual debate, as it's not worth it, but for the love of God this looks bad to see 4 guys that were in your system not that long ago doing this stuff for other teams now... and your biggest weakness the last two years has been starting pitching.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Go back and watch the TWO running errors in this game, then we'll talk.

;)

This definitively goes down as a bad loss. I'll chalk it up to jet lag which usually hits you the second full day and say that they play much better today. They really need to win every series this road trip to be considered a playoff contender. 

Edited by 85Knight

Davis might be one of the worst hitting regulars in the league.

He's strong.

That's about it.

Don't forget about ERod, traded for 2 months of Miller w/o even trying to resign him...

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Don't forget about ERod, traded for 2 months of Miller w/o even trying to resign him...

This was the only move that DD made at a deadline I was okay with. The fact we didn't try to sign Miller was a bad one (in hindsight), particularly after paying O'Day.

2 hours ago, 85Knight said:

This definitively goes down as a bad loss. I'll chalk it up to jet lag which usually hits you the second full day and say that they play much better today. They really need to win every series this road trip to be considered a playoff contender. 

You're much more forgiving than I am.