Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OriginalColtsFan

What The Hell-ickson 8/8/17 game thread

31 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

Davis might be one of the worst hitting regulars in the league.

He's strong.

That's about it.

He needs to be moved down in the lineup. Buck is too damn stubborn and loyal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 85Knight said:

He needs to be moved down in the lineup. Buck is too damn stubborn and loyal.

Buck really pisses me of sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

These guys are a combined 37-19 this year...

Bridwell: 6-1, 3.00 ERA, 1.19 WHIP

Davies: 13-5, 4.18 ERA, 1.36 WHIP  (3.47 ERA over his last 19 starts)

Miranda: 7-5, 4.65 ERA, 1.16 WHIP  (the HR is his problem)

Arrieta: 11-8, 3.83 ERA, 1.20 WHIP  (this is a HORRIBLE season for him compared to the last three years)

Not going to get in to the usual debate, as it's not worth it, but for the love of God this looks bad to see 4 guys that were in your system not that long ago doing this stuff for other teams now... and your biggest weakness the last two years has been starting pitching.

 

 

 

O's fans should be absolutely disgusted by this. 

The Arrieta situation is bad enough, but to give away these other young arms for junk pitchers and cash is inexcusable.  Somebody needs to be held accountable. Infuriating.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

These guys are a combined 37-19 this year...

Bridwell: 6-1, 3.00 ERA, 1.19 WHIP

Davies: 13-5, 4.18 ERA, 1.36 WHIP  (3.47 ERA over his last 19 starts)

Miranda: 7-5, 4.65 ERA, 1.16 WHIP  (the HR is his problem)

Arrieta: 11-8, 3.83 ERA, 1.20 WHIP  (this is a HORRIBLE season for him compared to the last three years)

Not going to get in to the usual debate, as it's not worth it, but for the love of God this looks bad to see 4 guys that were in your system not that long ago doing this stuff for other teams now... and your biggest weakness the last two years has been starting pitching.

Ding, ding, ding.

Most people on this forum have been saying this for YEARS!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

O's fans should be absolutely disgusted by this. 

The Arrieta situation is bad enough, but to give away these other young arms for junk pitchers and cash is inexcusable.  Somebody needs to be held accountable. Infuriating.  

When a team is in win-now mode and tries to get veterans who can provide said help, this is oftentimes the result.

We dealt for Miley because he'd been around the block and were hoping he could solidify the back of the rotation and give us a chance to win. Parra was a solid outfield piece, though it could certainly be said that neither he nor Miley have proved to be difference makers. Teams lose prospects all the time, but it just gets magnified on the Orioles because of the continuous difficulties with developing starters coupled with a weak overall farm system. I've said before that the Miley deal in particular should serve as a cautionary tale because it was a direct reflection of the state of the farm system. 

For the record, I'm not sure either Davies or Bridwell will be long-term solutions, but I understand the frustration because they have both demonstrated value in the short term and could at least be helping the team this year.

Edited by mdrunning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2017 at 5:25 PM, BayAreaBmore said:

O's fans should be absolutely disgusted by this. 

The Arrieta situation is bad enough, but to give away these other young arms for junk pitchers and cash is inexcusable.  Somebody needs to be held accountable. Infuriating.  

Let's take Davies for example.  His record is great, his ERA is decent.  But as I've said a few times, look closer at his game log and you'll see the guy basically got skull-dragged off the mound his first 4 starts this year.  After 4 starts his ERA was 8.24 and his WHIP was 2.  He got roughed up again the other day, but has been consistently solid for 3+ months.

Let's pretend for a moment he did that for the Orioles.  Buck and Dan would have sent him to Norfolk before his 5th outing, or probably before his 4th outing.  Why?  Well, because he's not a veteran, because Buck doesn't know him that well, whatever.  Meanwhile... Ubaldo is about to complete 4 full seasons here where he's been "April Zach Davies" at least half the time, and it's meant nothing to anyone in uniform.  A couple times he's been briefly relegated to the bullpen, only to come right back at the first opportunity.  

Wade Miley was trending the wrong way fast before Duquette acquired him, and he's been virtually unable to show ANY control since coming here, and it means nothing.

Tillman was obviously off somehow for months, yet it meant nothing to anyone in the dugout or the front office.  Other than maybe diminishing his trade value.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0