soulflower

Trump ending safety regulation for Train and Truck drivers

85 posts in this topic

The Hill:

The Trump administration is forging ahead with a controversial decision to scrap Obama-era plans to require that all truck, train and bus operators be screened for sleep apnea.

The elimination of the rule, part of the White House's push to slash federal regulations, has reignited a debate over how to balance safety concerns with regulatory relief.

Safety advocates warn that killing the proposal could put lives at risk at a time when traffic deaths are already climbing at historic rates: fatalities in large truck crashes have increased by 20 percent since 2009.

"It's incredibly dangerous to think someone behind the wheel of an 80,000 lb rig might have this disorder and fall asleep while driving," said Catherine Chase, vice president of governmental affairs for the Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety.

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/345971-trump-rule-change-ignites-safety-debate?amp

Make America less safe again...

1 minute ago, soulflower said:

The Hill:

The Trump administration is forging ahead with a controversial decision to scrap Obama-era plans to require that all truck, train and bus operators be screened for sleep apnea.

The elimination of the rule, part of the White House's push to slash federal regulations, has reignited a debate over how to balance safety concerns with regulatory relief.

Safety advocates warn that killing the proposal could put lives at risk at a time when traffic deaths are already climbing at historic rates: fatalities in large truck crashes have increased by 20 percent since 2009.

"It's incredibly dangerous to think someone behind the wheel of an 80,000 lb rig might have this disorder and fall asleep while driving," said Catherine Chase, vice president of governmental affairs for the Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety.

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/345971-trump-rule-change-ignites-safety-debate?amp

Make America less safe again...

Dear God please tell me this isn't serious?  This guy is a menace

But any company that is in the transportation industry can still require these tests.

Is there a law on the books that require this.?? The article doesn't really say.

I would think the insurer of the company and driver has a huge stake in that.

2 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

But any company that is in the transportation industry can still require these tests.

Is there a law on the books that require this.?? The article doesn't really say.

It appears that there was a plan to create a law and trump is now scrapping that plan.  Apparently in trump land regulations are bad no matter what.  Yes, any company in the transportation industry can require these tests, but seeing as though ALL of us are at risk here I don't have a problem with it being a requirement.

1 minute ago, banner1124 said:

It appears that there was a plan to create a law and trump is now scrapping that plan.  Apparently in trump land regulations are bad no matter what.  Yes, any company in the transportation industry can require these tests, but seeing as though ALL of us are at risk here I don't have a problem with it being a requirement.

Maybe they found out the union was not onboard with it being required.

Just now, stevez51 said:

Maybe they found out the union was not onboard with it being required.

So you're telling me that the trump admin is pulling back the regs because the union isn't on board?  Somehow I seriously doubt it.  They are just slashing regs for the sake of slashing regs so they can brag to their base about slashing regs.  They don't really care (and in the case of trump he probably doesn't even know) whether the regulations are useful or not.

1 minute ago, banner1124 said:

So you're telling me that the trump admin is pulling back the regs because the union isn't on board?  Somehow I seriously doubt it.  They are just slashing regs for the sake of slashing regs so they can brag to their base about slashing regs.  They don't really care (and in the case of trump he probably doesn't even know) whether the regulations are useful or not.

It was just a suppose. But if they had these statistics in 2009, why wait until 8 yrs later to finalize them.

Like I said all involved can still require testing without govt intervention.

1 minute ago, stevez51 said:

It was just a suppose. But if they had these statistics in 2009, why wait until 8 yrs later to finalize them.

Because Congress isn't really known for getting things done quickly, especially when a majority of Congress fights regulations tooth and nail

Just now, banner1124 said:

Because Congress isn't really known for getting things done quickly, especially when a majority of Congress fights regulations tooth and nail

So it another bill that Obama through in before he left that didn't stand a chance in hell of being passed?

Just now, jonsensback said:

So it another bill that Obama through in before he left that didn't stand a chance in hell of being passed?

Not really.  According to the article the FRA first issued a safety advisory on the issue back in 2004

38 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Companies fought all limits on driving, tests on drivers, etc. since I was a kid and my father was a terminal manager in the trucking industry. I can remember the companies having fits when truckers were limited to the amount of hours a driver could drive without having to take a break.

34 minutes ago, blowboatbethesda said:

It was a proposed rule that was never adopted. The thread title is misleading.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2017/aug/08/regulators-pull-plan-to-test-truckers-train/

It was a proposed rule for which the FRA issued another advisory to serve as a placeholder so that the actual legislation could be written.  Absent action from the current executive branch there's no reason to believe that the rule was not going to become law.

So this Piece of Garbage was so hurt when President Obama produced his birth Certificate that he is removing every regulation President Obama signed with no care for the American people.

1 hour ago, stevez51 said:

"Can" isnt' good enough.  Driver fatigue is the biggest safety issue among long haul truckers.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), sleep deprivation is a factor in almost 100,000 motor vehicle accidents and 1,550 fatalities per year in the United States (www.nhtsa.gov). With respect to heavy truck crashes specifically, past studies suggest that fatigue and/or sleep deprivation may be a contributing factor in at least 30 to 40 percent of crashes (NTSB, 1995). These statistics are not surprising considering that a survey of long-haul truck drivers reported that 66% of drivers acknowledged experiencing some level of fatigue on at least half of their trips and 65% reported symptoms of drowsiness such as yawning, feeling drowsy or sleepy, and struggling to stay alert while driving. Critically, 13% of drivers reported actually falling asleep at the wheel (Dinges and Maislin, 2006).

http://www.robsonforensic.com/articles/asleep-at-the-wheel-sleep-deprivation-and-fatigue-in-commercial-trucking

And many long haul truckers are independent operators. 

We have strict requirements for rest/down periods for commercial pilots.  Why is this different? Not all govt regs are bad.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, ms maggie said:

"Can" isnt' good enough.  Driver fatigue is the biggest safety issue among long haul truckers.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), sleep deprivation is a factor in almost 100,000 motor vehicle accidents and 1,550 fatalities per year in the United States (www.nhtsa.gov). With respect to heavy truck crashes specifically, past studies suggest that fatigue and/or sleep deprivation may be a contributing factor in at least 30 to 40 percent of crashes (NTSB, 1995). These statistics are not surprising considering that a survey of long-haul truck drivers reported that 66% of drivers acknowledged experiencing some level of fatigue on at least half of their trips and 65% reported symptoms of drowsiness such as yawning, feeling drowsy or sleepy, and struggling to stay alert while driving. Critically, 13% of drivers reported actually falling asleep at the wheel (Dinges and Maislin, 2006).

http://www.robsonforensic.com/articles/asleep-at-the-wheel-sleep-deprivation-and-fatigue-in-commercial-trucking

And many long haul truckers are independent operators. 

We have strict requirements for rest/down periods for commercial pilots.  Why is this different? Not all govt regs are bad.

Is Trump scrapping this regulation?

49 CFR 395.8 - Driver's record of duty status.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/395.8

Edited by flyboy56

3 hours ago, blowboatbethesda said:

It was a proposed rule that was never adopted. The thread title is misleading.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2017/aug/08/regulators-pull-plan-to-test-truckers-train/

You didn't quote the entire passage.

While calling OSA "an on-going concern," the regulators said the issue can be addressed through existing safety programs and rules.

According to the Associated Press, "The agencies argue that it should be up to railroads and trucking companies to decide whether to test employees. One railroad that does test, Metro-North in the New York City suburbs, found that 11.6 percent of its engineers have sleep apnea."

The decision didn't sit well with the National Transportation Safety Board. The agency, which has pushed for apnea screening and awareness, said it is "disappointed" by the move. The board cited its own findings that obstructive sleep apnea has been linked to 10 highway and rail accidents in the past 17 years.

4 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

To log activity?  Have no idea. 

Maybe you should enlighten yourself on this regulation that has been in place since 2004? I did provide a link. 

15 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Maybe you should enlighten yourself on this regulation that has been in place since 2004? I did provide a link. 

Well if it's been in place that long then it's probably safe from idiot boy cause it's can't be tied to Obama

44 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Is Trump scrapping this regulation?

49 CFR 395.8 - Driver's record of duty status.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/395.8

You darn well know that doesn't mean a thing. Truck drivers carry two log books. Dispatchers and trucking companies are unscrupulous.

1 hour ago, flyboy56 said:

It has nothing to do with testing for sleep apnea. Nor does it provide parameters that must be met. It merely requires logging driving hours.

1 hour ago, EgyptKang said:

You darn well know that doesn't mean a thing. Truck drivers carry two log books. Dispatchers and trucking companies are unscrupulous.

You are really sounding familiar ........

1 hour ago, EgyptKang said:

Oh, is that right? How silly of me not to know the tricks truck drivers use to get around this reg.