soulflower

Trump ending safety regulation for Train and Truck drivers

85 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

I suffer from sleep apnea. I would stop breathing in my sleep and my wife would nudge me. My snoring would keep her awake. I get a better rest with my cpap.

My husband has been sleeping with a cpap machine for many years.

7 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Makes you frisky doesn't it?

5 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

Makes you frisky doesn't it?

Oh yeah, that mask is a real turn on :D :D:D

1 hour ago, mrsmlh said:

Oh yeah, that mask is a real turn on :D :D:D

It's the Darth Vader look .......

12 hours ago, stevez51 said:

I suffer from sleep apnea. I would stop breathing in my sleep and my wife would nudge me. My snoring would keep her awake. I get a better rest with my cpap.

Yet Soulflower, CYHMN and Maggie want to deprive you of the right to drive a car simply because they don't understand that sleep apnea is a treatable condition..

12 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

Do you let him drive?

10 hours ago, stevez51 said:

It's the Darth Vader look .......

Sounds like Darth Vader too

30 minutes ago, VOSA said:

Do you let him drive?

He knows better than to drive for long periods of time.

22 hours ago, VOSA said:

Yet Soulflower, CYHMN and Maggie want to deprive you of the right to drive a car simply because they don't understand that sleep apnea is a treatable condition..

the argument is as follows--- if the regulation is not enforced, the likelihood of someone with undiagnosed and UNTREATED sleep apnea, who drives a truck or train for a living, runs a higher risk of having an accident...as I posted earlier, one of the symptoms is dozing while operating a motor vehicle...apparently this point, like most things from the floor up, went over your head.....

Edited by Baltimatt
Personal attack

19 hours ago, can you hear me now! said:

the argument is as follows--- if the regulation is not enforced, the likelihood of someone with undiagnosed and UNTREATED sleep apnea, who drives a truck or train for a living, runs a higher risk of having an accident...as I posted earlier, one of the symptoms is dozing while operating a motor vehicle...apparently this point, like most things from the floor up, went over your head.....

But enforcing the treatment isn't possible. The state can enforce the annual physical, but unless the state is going home to see if the operator is using his or her CPAP every night, the regulation is meaningless.  

Edited by Baltimatt
Personal attack in quote

1 hour ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

But enforcing the treatment isn't possible. The state can enforce the annual physical, but unless the state is going home to see if the operator is using his or her CPAP every night, the regulation is meaningless.  

I would imagine that if a person found out that he/she had sleep apnea, they would use the CPAP every night.  My husband says he can really tell the difference in the quality of his sleep when he doesn't use it.

What about the TrumpTrain?  Are they reuducing regulations on who can be the engineer on the TrumpTrain?

2 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

the regulation isn't meaningless......by not treating something that impairs driving the company and the individual become liable as it is a conscious decision not to get the proper treatment....oh that's right, the victim of a company's negligence is out of luck because the law isn't on their side....

9 minutes ago, can you hear me now! said:

the regulation isn't meaningless......by not treating something that impairs driving the company and the individual become liable as it is a conscious decision not to get the proper treatment....oh that's right, the victim of a company's negligence is out of luck because the law isn't on their side....

The treatment is necessary.  The regulation is meaningless because it can't be enforced.  

1 hour ago, mrsmlh said:

I would imagine that if a person found out that he/she had sleep apnea, they would use the CPAP every night.  My husband says he can really tell the difference in the quality of his sleep when he doesn't use it.

I don't doubt it.  Mrs MOTR, OTOH, tried her CPAP one night and it was given the Jimmy Hoffa treatment.

Some can, some can't.

My point isn't the value of the treatment; my point is that trying to force someone to use the treatment, through this regulation is an exercise in futility.

2 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

The treatment is necessary.  The regulation is meaningless because it can't be enforced.  

it can be enforced....sadly it won't be as the government of the corporation, by the corporation, and for the corporation won't allow it.....despite almost full employment the right continues the lie that regulations are killing jobs.....

1 minute ago, can you hear me now! said:

it can be enforced....sadly it won't be as the government of the corporation, by the corporation, and for the corporation won't allow it.....despite almost full employment the right continues the lie that regulations are killing jobs.....

This could be interesting; how do you enforce the regulation on sleep apnea treatment?

4 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

I don't doubt it.  Mrs MOTR, OTOH, tried her CPAP one night and it was given the Jimmy Hoffa treatment.

Some can, some can't.

My point isn't the value of the treatment; my point is that trying to force someone to use the treatment, through this regulation is an exercise in futility.

I'm sure there are several people like your wife, who refuse the treatment.  But I'm also quite sure that more people will accept the treatment once they are diagnosed.  If it hadn't been for our son, my husband would have never been tested and therefore would never have known that he had sleep apnea.

5 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

This could be interesting; how do you enforce the regulation on sleep apnea treatment?

easier than you think.....yearly physical, sleep test, cpap use....all cpap machines come with a memory card that monitors sleep time and number of interruptions....have the card read to verify use...if you aren't using your cpap, you lose your driving/operating privileges....

I know this because I have a cpap.....

Edited by can you hear me now!

Just now, mrsmlh said:

I'm sure there are several people like your wife, who refuse the treatment.  But I'm also quite sure that more people will accept the treatment once they are diagnosed.  If it hadn't been for our son, my husband would have never been tested and therefore would never have known that he had sleep apnea.

Statistically speaking, you're correct, but that still doesn't address enforcement.  One of the worst things a governing body can do is write a ref it either can't or won't enforce.

1 minute ago, can you hear me now! said:

easier than you think.....yearly physical, sleep test, cpap use....all cpap machines come with a memory card that monitors sleep time and number of interruptions....have the card read to verify use...if you aren't using your cpap, you lose your driving/operating privileges....

I know this because I have a cpap.....

Ahh, so we create a new bureaucracy to read the CPAP cards and we assume that the person wearing the machine is the person to whom it is assigned.  But how does that enforce the wearing?  The annual physical is already there, the key word being annual.  The driver wears his CPAP for a couple of days before the test, takes the test, gets his CDL...now, what enforces him wearing the CPAP for the next 360 days?

2 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Ahh, so we create a new bureaucracy to read the CPAP cards and we assume that the person wearing the machine is the person to whom it is assigned.  But how does that enforce the wearing?  The annual physical is already there, the key word being annual.  The driver wears his CPAP for a couple of days before the test, takes the test, gets his CDL...now, what enforces him wearing the CPAP for the next 360 days?

not a new bureaucracy,,,,,I believe the DoT already exists and is used to dealing with transportation....they deal with this type of issue...

1 hour ago, can you hear me now! said:

not a new bureaucracy,,,,,I believe the DoT already exists and is used to dealing with transportation....they deal with this type of issue...

The American Trucking Association says there are 3.5 M CDL drivers in the US.  An equal distribution over the year means some medical doctors somewhere are evaluating 9,500 sleep apnea test results EVERY day, Sunday, Saturday and holidays.  Data collection and management, statistical reporting and record keeping - yes, there will have to be a new bureaucracy developed.

Edited by MiddleOfTheRoad