Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RavingManiac

Jimmy Smith Restructures Contract

21 posts in this topic

Jimmy Smith just restructured his contract freeing up a little over 5 million this year. Who do you think the Ravens plan on signing? I don't think it's Kaepernick. I'm going with Mangold. If this is the case, our offensive line is going to be pretty darn good. Stanley, Lewis, Mangold, Yanda and Howard. 

1 hour ago, RavingManiac said:

Zuttah is a possibility as well.

That's possible, it sounds like he was cut to make $$ room for a more critical position, not because he was practicing poorly. 

Say no to Zuttah. He just isn't that good.

Maybe they can convince Kyle Boller out of retirement since Flacco might not be healthy. ;)

2 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

Maybe they can convince Kyle Boller out of retirement since Flacco might not be healthy. ;)

Did I really need to read this? :mad:

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Say no to Zuttah. He just isn't that good.

Well maybe he will play cheap just to get the years in for his pension? He knows the system. At the very least he would be a excellent second stringer if his ego could handle it.

Edited by Guido2

Is Mangold physically done? Surprised no team has even been mentioned as interested in signing him.

Lordy...I hope it's Mangold(and I hope Mangold isn't injured in some way keeping a team from signing him).  Zuttah, Mr Drive Killer, is still probably a better option than Ryan Jenson.  Though Jenson didn't look too bad. 

If Mangold is healthy, and the Ravens get him, assuming Flacco is healthy, has to put the Ravens at least in the playoff picture, if not even deep into the playoffs.  Their defense is going to be near the top of the league, and IMO the offense would move from middle of the pack to at least the top 10.  Can't emphasize how much of a differnce a solid OL makes.  The weapons are there with Maclin, Wallace, Perriman, Woodhead, West, and Watson.  I also think Maxx Williams is going to be the "surprise" player on the team. 

The Steelers are, and should be considered the favorite to win the division, but if the Ravens can improve their OL, you have to look at them as a potential dark horse.  I don't know about the Bengals.  They look worse to me than last year, but they might turn in a better year with Lewis's job clearly on the line. 

Without improving the OL, I think the Ravens are going to be fighting for a WC, at best.

1 hour ago, alienrace said:

Lordy...I hope it's Mangold(and I hope Mangold isn't injured in some way keeping a team from signing him).  Zuttah, Mr Drive Killer, is still probably a better option than Ryan Jenson.  Though Jenson didn't look too bad. 

If Mangold is healthy, and the Ravens get him, assuming Flacco is healthy, has to put the Ravens at least in the playoff picture, if not even deep into the playoffs.  Their defense is going to be near the top of the league, and IMO the offense would move from middle of the pack to at least the top 10.  Can't emphasize how much of a differnce a solid OL makes.  The weapons are there with Maclin, Wallace, Perriman, Woodhead, West, and Watson.  I also think Maxx Williams is going to be the "surprise" player on the team. 

The Steelers are, and should be considered the favorite to win the division, but if the Ravens can improve their OL, you have to look at them as a potential dark horse.  I don't know about the Bengals.  They look worse to me than last year, but they might turn in a better year with Lewis's job clearly on the line. 

Without improving the OL, I think the Ravens are going to be fighting for a WC, at best.

The Steelers just have a great offense. On paper and going by only one preseason game, we just may have a great defense. We held the Steelers offense in check for the most part last year and we are potentially significantly stronger on defense this year. I know I'm being very optimistic but going by how well our offensive line held up last night without three of our starters, and the way our defense is stacked, this is our year. The AFC north belongs to Baltimore. 

....And Alex Lewis is out for the season. Please disregard my previous post. What is it with all these injuries? I have never seen anything like it.

2 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

....And Alex Lewis is out for the season. Please disregard my previous post. What is it with all these injuries? I have never seen anything like it.

yes you did Maniac- last year and the year before.  Forget Kap, they need a guard unless Hurst is their replacement... Disgusted

3 hours ago, mikemor1 said:

yes you did Maniac- last year and the year before.  Forget Kap, they need a guard unless Hurst is their replacement... Disgusted

Yeah I guess you are right

Mangold is reportedly holding out until someone meets his price. I haven't heard any specifics regarding his contract requirements, but it's obviously more than most teams are willing to pay at this point.

On 8/11/2017 at 4:03 PM, RavingManiac said:

I wonder if anyone, either professionally or theoretically has thought that these guys are OVER TRAINED, not the other way around.  You can get any legitimate book on weight lifting/bodybuilding and without exception, they'll tell how important rest and recuperation is.  These guys are out on the field practicing for most of the week, then the preseason games begin, then the regular season and all the while, they're working out with weights too during the week.  No wonder their bodies break down so frequently and in such a serious manner. 

17 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

I wonder if anyone, either professionally or theoretically has thought that these guys are OVER TRAINED, not the other way around.  You can get any legitimate book on weight lifting/bodybuilding and without exception, they'll tell how important rest and recuperation is.  These guys are out on the field practicing for most of the week, then the preseason games begin, then the regular season and all the while, they're working out with weights too during the week.  No wonder their bodies break down so frequently and in such a serious manner. 

There has to be something going on. Didn't they get a guy to oversee and evaluate their training regimen last year?  So far, it's not working. This will be the third year in a row where the team is decimated with season ending injuries and there are still more pre-season games to go.

Typical Ravens- Urban is emerging as a quality DE-and of course it's the final year of his rookie contract after spending 2-3 yrs injured. That seems to also be a part of this pattern.

On 8/13/2017 at 11:37 AM, jamesdean said:

Training camp is not as hard as Billick's training camps and Billick didn't have all these injuries. I think it is steroids. It's pure speculation on my part but we lead the league in drug suspensions and lead the league in injuries. 

WBAL reported that Stanley has missed three straight practices and Harbaugh said it is something he is working through.   The Ravens did not report the nature of his injury.  Didn't he miss some games because of injury last year as well?   They also reported that Perriman's injury was a little more serious than just a hamstring tweak and that he would likely miss the next couple of weeks.  I would label that a concern because we've been down that road before with Perriman regarding injuries that seem to linger and linger.  

1 hour ago, cprenegade said:

WBAL reported that Stanley has missed three straight practices and Harbaugh said it is something he is working through.   The Ravens did not report the nature of his injury.  Didn't he miss some games because of injury last year as well?   They also reported that Perriman's injury was a little more serious than just a hamstring tweak and that he would likely miss the next couple of weeks.  I would label that a concern because we've been down that road before with Perriman regarding injuries that seem to linger and linger.  

I don't want to go down this whole road again with Perriman. The whole "he is another Dan Cody", " He is a bust" " will he ever play a down" etc. ( not necessarily you)

The man missed his first season due to an injury. It happens. He played every game last year. I'm not sure you can put him in the "injuries always linger with him" category.

With all that said, I thought I read somewhere that Harbs said Stanley's injury was no big deal and Perrimans injury was simply coming along. I kind of got the feeling we won't see Perriman for a couple of weeks. Hamstrings can become serious so I wouldn't mind not seeing him until week 1 of the regular season.

On 8/15/2017 at 5:50 PM, cprenegade said:

I read this morning that according to Harbaugh, he's not aware of the seriousness of Stanley's injury and that he would have to defer to the trainers.  Seriously?  I don't think I've read a more idiotic statement in a long time.  You're the head coach a the football team and you don't know what the status is on one of your starting offensive linemen?  Harbs must really think people are stupid. 

On 8/15/2017 at 8:49 PM, RavingManiac said:

I don't want to go down this whole road again with Perriman. The whole "he is another Dan Cody", " He is a bust" " will he ever play a down" etc. ( not necessarily you)

The man missed his first season due to an injury. It happens. He played every game last year. I'm not sure you can put him in the "injuries always linger with him" category.

With all that said, I thought I read somewhere that Harbs said Stanley's injury was no big deal and Perrimans injury was simply coming along. I kind of got the feeling we won't see Perriman for a couple of weeks. Hamstrings can become serious so I wouldn't mind not seeing him until week 1 of the regular season.

I made my statement on Perriman simply because during his first season the team kept saying every week that he was only a week or two away, only to have that revised continually.  He has also had hamstring issues in the past.  I believe he missed the combine because of a hamstring.   Some people are injury prone, time will tell if Perriman is one of those.  We will see.