Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bully

RIVALS perpetuate false narrative

7 posts in this topic

Looking over Rivals Rankings, etc and can't help but notice how they continuous inflate players measurables.  I'll use a kid we all know and I love the kid.  Great person, great family, and is the best linebacker in 2019 class.  Shane Lee is a flat out stud and gonna play big time D1 and has shot at NFL if he stays healthy.  However, kid is 5'11 to 6' max.  Stood next to him and this years Nike Opening has him listed at 6'(which may be a stretch) but Rivals list him at 6'2" because that's the prototype accepted linebacker size.  Why does Rivals lie?  You lose credibility and we all know Shane is an animal linebacker but by doing this you feed coaches and players heads that you have to be 6'2 or bigger to be an elite linebacker.  Not good for the sport.  I see wide receivers listed at 6'4 that are 6'.  Etc, etc.  Come on Rivals and others.  Let's keep it real and stop creating this false narrative that to be high level football player you have to measure a certain way.  It's a disservice to the sport and many great athletes.

Does Rivals do the measurements themselves or is the information submitted to them by an outside source?

18 minutes ago, Bully said:

Looking over Rivals Rankings, etc and can't help but notice how they continuous inflate players measurables.  I'll use a kid we all know and I love the kid.  Great person, great family, and is the best linebacker in 2019 class.  Shane Lee is a flat out stud and gonna play big time D1 and has shot at NFL if he stays healthy.  However, kid is 5'11 to 6' max.  Stood next to him and this years Nike Opening has him listed at 6'(which may be a stretch) but Rivals list him at 6'2" because that's the prototype accepted linebacker size.  Why does Rivals lie?  You lose credibility and we all know Shane is an animal linebacker but by doing this you feed coaches and players heads that you have to be 6'2 or bigger to be an elite linebacker.  Not good for the sport.  I see wide receivers listed at 6'4 that are 6'.  Etc, etc.  Come on Rivals and others.  Let's keep it real and stop creating this false narrative that to be high level football player you have to measure a certain way.  It's a disservice to the sport and many great athletes.

I haven't stood next to Shane since he was at Gilman. He was about 5'11 then, not sure how much he's grown so can't speak on it. Doesn't matter, he could be 5'7, the kid was the best ninth grade LB I've ever seen(and he wasn't re-classed like people have tried to put out there). But it goes both ways sometime. I see listings of Spanky Dixon being 6'1, he was a legitimate 6'3 last year at beginning of football season.  

Doesn't seem to go both ways with supposedly  the most reputable rating service in the industry.  I've seen many kids on Rivals that are great players and they seem to always get 2-3 inches taller and 15 lbs heavier.  Most accurate measurements seem to come from college combines/prospect camps.

Posted (edited)

It goes both ways, but the scale is heavier on the over dramatic end. I've heard of a few DM kids who were much taller or heavier than their listed heights and weights, especially at the OL and DL positions. Once you get to a certain height or weight, college coaches start to get nervous about your explosiveness. At the end of the day, it's a sales job. You gotta do what you gotta do to get the job done. Recruiters know what they are getting before ink goes to paper anyway. It's meaningless and hurts nobody. 

Edited by Silverbullet

you go on your official visits, unofficial visits, junior days, a lot of those times they are measuring your height and weight. They know those measureables before you get to put your name on that paper

The whole thing is a scam.  The star rating is mostly BS.  It has to do with the kids "handler" who has the connection with Rivals.  They tell them what they want their rating, size, weight, etc. to be.  They do this so the handler can work college recruiters on first looks and pump up their team and get write ups on the program.  Its what they told the kid in 8th grade they would do for him. There are kids that are studs.  And they would be with or without Rivals.  There are kids they flat out lie about.  It's not that they actually care or have an agenda other than access to players and programs granted by the handler.  Rivals needs content to sell subscriptions and camp fees and the handler needs a kid promoted by a third party. They listed one kid who plays for a school we all know for two years before he ever put on the uniform.  Seriously.  The handler got him listed as a member of the team while excluding actual members of the team because he is basically managing a narrative.  The kid is pumped to college recruiters as the next big thing, hits the local Rivals spring camp and is treated like royalty, then goes to a Power 5 camp and gets an offer just based on the optics and because he plays at "X school".  He had ZERO tape and never played a down of football.  Meanwhile, you have an actual football player on the same team who is listed in Rivals only because he registered for one of their combines who is listed wrong - perhaps old high school, position, weight, gender (joke), offers, whatever - and they will absolutely NOT make a correction unless the handler says it is ok.  If you are not part of the handlers agenda, you are toast.