Operations

1A/2A - North/State

19 posts in this topic

The 2A North Region takes on a much different look this year, as three of the four playoff teams from 2016 have been reclassified down to 1A. Regional runner-up Hereford is the only playoff team back from last year, and the Bulls should be a force in the region again in 2017. The P.G. County 2A teams have been moved to the 2A North for 2017-2018,and Gwynn Park, 9-2 last year, appears to be the team to beat in the region this fall. Other playoff contenders include Edmondson, New Town, and two teams looking to bounce back from disappointing seasons in 2016, Eastern Tech and Patterson.

Class 2A looks especially strong this year, with outstanding teams everywhere. 2A West may be the strongest region in the state, regardless of classification. Damascus, Walkersville, Middletown, Oakdale and Seneca Valley will be competing for four playoff spots. This is yet another example of why the state needs to scrap the four-teams-per-region quota system and simply go with the top 16 teams according to their playoff points system, but that is a topic for another thread. 2A South is nearly as imposing as the West. Here, Patuxent and Calvert will be joined by three reclassified Howard County teams that made the 3A playoffs last year, Glenelg, River Hill, and Wilde Lake. In the 2A East, 2016 state runner-up Elkton, perennial contenders Kent Island and Queen Anne's, and several other strong teams will fight it out for the regional championship. 2A may be the toughest of all four classifications, in that its championship will be the most competitive and most difficult to win. Whoever does win it will have to run a gauntlet in order to do so.

Like the 2A North, the 1A North changes drastically in 2017. Rivals Dunbar and Douglass have been reclassified from 2A and 3A respectively, and will likely fight it out for the regional championship. But they can't sleep on a tough Overlea team, also moving down from 2A. With Fort Hill apparently in more of a rebuilding mode than usual this year, Dunbar, led by standout QB Jared Lewis, looks like the early favorite to end FH's four year run of state championships. Watch for Fort Hill to be challenged in the West by arch rival Allegany and Boonsboro. I would be very surprised if the 1A state champion came from any region other than the North or West this year. 

Excellent preview couldn't agree more the 2A class looks by far to be the toughest and most competitive this year

9 hours ago, Operations said:

I would be very surprised if the 1A state champion came from any region other than the North or West this year.

Perhaps that's because you are NOT all that well versed in the south like two teams who dropped to 1A in Douglass-PG, Lackey....

14 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Perhaps that's because you are NOT all that well versed in the south like two teams who dropped to 1A in Douglass-PG, Lackey....

I am aware of Douglass and Lackey, but perhaps you are NOT all that well versed in the fact that either Dunbar or Fort Hill has won the state 1A championship 11 of the last 13 years. I prefer to go with the proven, consistent programs that have withstood the test of time, even more so in 2017 now that Dunbar and Fort Hill are both in 1A once again. But Douglass, Lackey, or some team nobody is even thinking about could surprise. That is why we play the season.

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, Operations said:

I am aware of Douglass and Lackey, but perhaps you are NOT all that well versed in the fact that either Dunbar or Fort Hill has won the state 1A championship 11 of the last 13 years. I prefer to go with the proven, consistent programs that have withstood the test of time, even more so in 2017 now that Dunbar and Fort Hill are both in 1A once again. But Douglass, Lackey, or some team nobody is even thinking about could surprise. That is why we play the season.

Sure I am aware that Fort Hill and Dunbar has won many 1A state titles.  Don't get hung up on brand names and what does that have to do with 2017!!!  The last years Dunbar has been in the title mix they were stopped; last year by Walkersville and I told you all not to bet against anyone named Walker even with the star QB and WR corps Dunbar had last season, the year before by Patuxent, and the year before by Douglass in a running clock title game.  Recent history would say Dunbar is no shoe-in as you are trying to pimp.  Now Fort Hill on the hand has been on a championship tear.  However, even with it's three-peats, the great Fort Hill historically from a title perspective is the second best football team in it's two team city.  If we add basketball to the mix, Alco is head and shoulders better than Fort Hill having won states 8 times and tied with Dunbar for the number of BBall titles or appearances from what I understand.  But I digress....

The bottom line OP is that you said you would be surprised if the 1A champion came from any region other than north and west.  I'm just giving you 411 about the south that would not be at all surprise as those would not be who are really in the know about the north, south, east, and west.

Edited by DayWalker

On 8/11/2017 at 10:05 PM, CvilleComets1521 said:

Anybody making it up to Greenway to see Alco play Dunbar week 1?

I will be there

1 hour ago, meth007 said:

I will be there

I'll probably be in the building as well. I like to sit away side, usually less crowded even tho alco fans don't pack the house like Fh fans do

2 hours ago, CvilleComets1521 said:

I'll probably be in the building as well. I like to sit away side, usually less crowded even tho alco fans don't pack the house like Fh fans do

Its gonna be a packed house because of who they are playing.

41 minutes ago, meth007 said:

Its gonna be a packed house because of who they are playing.

Adding to the attendance is the fact FHHS plays on September 2nd. 

There will be more FHHS fans present than Poet and Camper fans combined. :)

2 hours ago, MCsoccerplex said:

Adding to the attendance is the fact FHHS plays on September 2nd. 

There will be more FHHS fans present than Poet and Camper fans combined. :)

U can bet on that for sure! FH players too. They plays in Pittsburgh in 9/2. 

Thought I was replying to Meth. But yes it'll be pretty full house. I know MC Soccer knows it'll be packed 

On 8/19/2017 at 3:53 PM, meth007 said:

I will be there

Good chance of crossing paths tm night...

Hereford as usual will do well in the county against the 1A and 2A schools and get overwhelmed once they leave the county.  Last years game against Dunbar was sad to watch.  If the PG County schools are now in 2a North..the road to M&T will go through the land of GOGO music and half smokes

1 hour ago, BJC said:

Hereford as usual will do well in the county against the 1A and 2A schools and get overwhelmed once they leave the county.  Last years game against Dunbar was sad to watch.  If the PG County schools are now in 2a North..the road to M&T will go through the land of GOGO music and half smokes

Several PG schools - Largo, DouglassPG, and Friendly have all dropped to 1A and joined Surrattsville and Fairmont Heights.  The only competitive PG still 2A school is Gwynn Park.  Potomac and Oxon are 3A while the rest are 4A.

The Havre de Grace Warriors are the team to beat in 1A, as they are the state runner up two years in a row.    With the addition of Drake Puffenbarger, another Harco boy the defense just got a lot better.  The QB has an arm, provided he gets protection, he`s a problem, not a running qb, purely pocket. Grace has the experience to get it done this year.Grace beat the National Academy Foundation on Friday 37-0, if that counts for anything.  I`ll admit this post is biased, as i did graduate from Havre de Grace.:D, but true nonetheless.

17 minutes ago, knowmercy said:

The Havre de Grace Warriors are the team to beat in 1A, as they are the state runner up two years in a row.    With the addition of Drake Puffenbarger, another Harco boy the defense just got a lot better.  The QB has an arm, provided he gets protection, he`s a problem, not a running qb, purely pocket. Grace has the experience to get it done this year.Grace beat the National Academy Foundation on Friday 37-0, if that counts for anything.  I`ll admit this post is biased, as i did graduate from Havre de Grace.:D, but true nonetheless.

Heehee...🙂

On 8/19/2017 at 3:53 PM, meth007 said:

I will be there

Were you one of the folks getting into it with the Alco faithful? Lmao