soulflower

Immigration crackdown leads to Farm worker shortage in CA

62 posts in this topic

Time:

Vegetable prices may be going up soon, as a shortage of migrant workers is resulting in lost crops in California.

Farmers say they’re having troublehiring enough people to work during harvest season, causing some crops to rot before they can be picked. Already, the situation has triggered losses of more than $13 million in two California counties alone, according to NBC News.

The ongoing battle about U.S. immigration policies is blamed for the shortage. The vast majority of California’s farm workers are foreign born, with many coming from Mexico. However, the PEW Research Center reports more Mexicans are leaving the U.S. than coming here.

To make the jobs more attractive, farmers are offering salaries above minimum wage, along with paid time off and 401(k) plans, but even that’s not proving enough.

http://amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2017/08/08/immigration-worker-shortage-rotting-crops/?source=dam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just reading about a worker shortage up in Cape Cod as well.  They've had to rely on foreign workers for the tourist industry and they're getting turned down for their requested visas.  Wonder if the Don's places are having the same troubles??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Norman said:

I was just reading about a worker shortage up in Cape Cod as well.  They've had to rely on foreign workers for the tourist industry and they're getting turned down for their requested visas.  Wonder if the Don's places are having the same troubles??? 

Why aren't Trump's "forgotten men" filling these job openings? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Why aren't Trump's "forgotten men" filling these job openings? 

Brazilians are filling those jobs on the Cape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soulflower said:

Time:

Vegetable prices may be going up soon, as a shortage of migrant workers is resulting in lost crops in California.

Farmers say they’re having troublehiring enough people to work during harvest season, causing some crops to rot before they can be picked. Already, the situation has triggered losses of more than $13 million in two California counties alone, according to NBC News.

The ongoing battle about U.S. immigration policies is blamed for the shortage. The vast majority of California’s farm workers are foreign born, with many coming from Mexico. However, the PEW Research Center reports more Mexicans are leaving the U.S. than coming here.

To make the jobs more attractive, farmers are offering salaries above minimum wage, along with paid time off and 401(k) plans, but even that’s not proving enough.

http://amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2017/08/08/immigration-worker-shortage-rotting-crops/?source=dam

Are green cards hard to get? If migrants register to work in the US farm industry they will have to pay taxes and employers will have to pay minimum wage. Illegal migrants pay no taxes and employers pay lower wages under the table. The law should be targeting both parties. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Norman said:

I was just reading about a worker shortage up in Cape Cod as well.  They've had to rely on foreign workers for the tourist industry and they're getting turned down for their requested visas.  Wonder if the Don's places are having the same troubles??? 

My understanding from something I read was that there was a big to-do about Trump ahhhhhhhhhh somehow managing to get 'special treatment' for his workers visa's. True or not....dunno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Are green cards hard to get? If migrants register to work in the US farm industry they will have to pay taxes and employers will have to pay minimum wage. Illegal migrants pay no taxes and employers pay lower wages under the table. The law should be targeting both parties. 

I don't know how complicated the process is but these employers have raised wages and benefits and are still struggling to attract Laborers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, soulflower said:

I don't know how complicated the process is but these employers have raised wages and benefits and are still struggling to attract Laborers

Illegal migrants is not the answer. If they want legal migrants who want to work they should be making sure their workers are here legally to work. It's the law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Illegal migrants is not the answer. If they want legal migrants who want to work they should be making sure their workers are here legally to work. It's the law.

In the short term, we should give Undocumented Immigrants Amnesty 

With the UE rate at 4%, there's not enough unemployed people to fill all of these kinds of jobs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, soulflower said:

In the short term, we should give Undocumented Immigrants Amnesty 

With the UE rate at 4%, there's not enough unemployed people to fill all of these kinds of jobs

Undocumented immigrants don't seem to want the jobs either or they would be there. You should be pushing for migrants to get green cards instead of focusing on the illegals getting work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh how I long for the days when the GOP was a rational party

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Undocumented immigrants don't seem to want the jobs either or they would be there. You should be pushing for migrants to get green cards instead of focusing on the illegals getting work. 

I'm in favor of that but Congress won't pass Comprehensive Immigration Reform

Im referring to the Bipartisan Bill passed in the Senate but not voted on in the House

Edited by soulflower

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soulflower said:

I'm in favor of that but Congress won't pass Comprehensive Immigration Reform

Im referring to the Bipartisan Bill passed in the Senate but not voted on in the House

Green cards are available now with or without CIF. You are just making excuses now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Green cards are available now with or without CIF. You are just making excuses now.

I'm with you man. Let's bring in more Legal temporary workers

But at the same time, it seems practical for Undocumented people who are working and not criminals to be allowed to stay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, soulflower said:

I'm with you man. Let's bring in more Legal temporary workers

But at the same time, it seems practical for Undocumented people who are working and not criminals to be allowed to stay. 

I'm not for rewarding law breakers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Funny.  Go to the beach almost every weekend and there seems to be no shortage Russian, Siberians, Bulgarians etc.. than any other year.

And you see the same kids in some cases we have seen for several years and don't know of any places hurting for employees..

 

Edited by jonsensback

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jonsensback said:

Funny.  Go to the beach almost every weekend and there seems to be no shortage Russian, Siberians, Bulgarians etc.. than any other year.

And you see the same kids in some cases we have seen for several years and don't know of any places hurting for employees..

Not sure what your point is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, soulflower said:

Not sure what your point is

That "green card" employees seem to be as plentiful as ever in the tourist areas despite what I read on this forum in reference to Cape Cod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

That "green card" employees seem to be as plentiful as ever in the tourist areas despite what I read on this forum in reference to Cape Cod. 

Okay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

That "green card" employees seem to be as plentiful as ever in the tourist areas despite what I read on this forum in reference to Cape Cod. 

My mother lives on the Cape and she sees many Brazilians working the summer jobs. We all know the Cape shuts down in the winter so they are only seasonal hires. The good workers are usually asked to come back. 

Edited by flyboy56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Okay

Glad you agree.  Maybe the issue in Cali is undocumented pickers which is a entire different issue than green card workers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Glad you agree.  Maybe the issue in Cali is undocumented pickers which is a entire different issue than green card workers. 

It's not just happening in Cali.

A few weeks ago I posted about farms in North Carolina experiencing similar problems

I've heard similar things are happening in Maryland agriculture as well

Its driving up wages but even that isn't enough for some businesses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, soulflower said:

It's not just happening in Cali.

A few weeks ago I posted about farms in North Carolina experiencing similar problems

I've heard similar things are happening in Maryland agriculture as well

Its driving up wages but even that isn't enough for some businesses

I think what's happening is we don't have the illegals filling in the gaps that green card/work visa employees aren't filling which is to be expected and the country will adjust. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

I think what's happening is we don't have the illegals filling in the gaps that green card/work visa employees aren't filling which is to be expected and the country will adjust. 

Per the article, this began in 2013. The trend will likely worsen under Trump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey ....now those disenfranchised whites can go and apply for those jobs at less than minimum wage and no health insurance. MAKE AMERIKKKA GREAT AGAIN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now