Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dshawg1

Steve Johnson Starting for White Sox Tonight

24 posts in this topic

Get your popcorn ready..

For the record, I don't think he will be Cy Young, but still don't understand us just giving away folks like Bridwell and Johnson. Duquette should be restricted from making starting pitching moves, anything involving starting pitching. We would have won the world series by now if we just had stood pat and erased all this terrible moves over the years.

Completely agree with your post.  I understand you have to give away something to get something, but the trend  we're seeing is that we're continue to give away more than we are recieving.

And in these cases (Bridwell, Johnson etc) we're just flat out giving guys away. And at some point, when guys you trade excel with other teams you have to look at your own development system, and the talent evaluatiom skills of your GM and front office.  

47 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

Get your popcorn ready..

For the record, I don't think he will be Cy Young, but still don't understand us just giving away folks like Bridwell and Johnson. Duquette should be restricted from making starting pitching moves, anything involving starting pitching. We would have won the world series by now if we just had stood pat and erased all this terrible moves over the years.

Johnson doesn't have all the "stuff" but he knows how to pitch. Take his DNA and combine it and Ubaldo Jimenez's DNA and you'd have a pretty good pitcher.

12 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

Johnson doesn't have all the "stuff" but he knows how to pitch. Take his DNA and combine it and Ubaldo Jimenez's DNA and you'd have a pretty good pitcher.

There is something terribly broken in our org. We keep flipping folks around but not fixing what is broken-the infrastructure. Johnson probably won't be a star, but let me ask you something-if we cut Ubaldo right now-and someone else (probably NL) grabbed him-don't you think with some adjustments-he would probably be fine? I do.

We should hire our own "Mueller" so to speak and figure out what is going on to cause all these pitching development issues. Not being funny. Get the facts, then make changes. Yet, here we are with the same issues over and over and over. It's maddening.

I disagree. Ubaldo with that delivery will never be successful. He'd have to totally change his delivery.

15 minutes ago, Rob said:

I disagree. Ubaldo with that delivery will never be successful. He'd have to totally change his delivery.

That's why he has to be DNA'd with Johnson. ;) Ubaldo has the "stuff" IMO but does not have the delivery. Johnson has the delivery (one of the best I've seen) but lacks the raw "stuff." Together they'd make a pretty decent pitcher - well, unless you'd combine UJ's delivery with Johnson's stuff. :D

17 minutes ago, Rob said:

I agree. He's been with a few orgs now, and hasn't had sustained success. He's had some hot streaks, but only one good season. Those mechanics just can't be replicated. It's ridiculous.

14 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Steve Johnson = AAAA.  No loss at all. 

I tend to agree, but with this org, it's hard to tell...Bridwell was given away for cash....Davies for Parra...Jason Garcia has great stuff and is getting hit around in AA ball.

17 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I agree. He's been with a few orgs now, and hasn't had sustained success. He's had some hot streaks, but only one good season. Those mechanics just can't be replicated. It's ridiculous.

I like you both, but agree to disagree. I think good coaching can fix such things. I bet you Mike Maddux could get him to be more consistent.

5 minutes ago, dshawg1 said:

I tend to agree, but with this org, it's hard to tell...Bridwell was given away for cash....Davies for Parra...Jason Garcia has great stuff and is getting hit around in AA ball.

Decks needed cleared for MikE Wright to get back into :lol:rotation,  I guess I'm as dumb as DD because I thought Bridwell was hot garbage.  He showed zero s I don't know how folks re upset.  He was a complete dud. 

2 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Decks needed cleared for MikE Wright to get back into :lol:rotation,  I guess I'm as dumb as DD because I thought Bridwell was hot garbage.  He showed zero s I don't know how folks re upset.  He was a complete dud. 

Did you read up on him? And what his issues were?

27 minutes ago, weird-O said:

He has a lot of heart and he knows how to pitch. But that is all.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-angels-bridwell-20170808-story.html

“With the Orioles, they always stressed the changeup,” said Bridwell, who owned a career 4.79 ERA in the Orioles’ minor-league organization . “If you don’t have the changeup, you can’t make it and all that. I’ve thrown my changeup just as much here. It’s just not as stressed in this organization. It’s one of those things, if you can throw off-speed for a strike regardless of what it is, you’ll be fine. I feel like I’ve thrown a lot of changeups this year, but definitely not as many because they kind of pushed it with Baltimore. But yeah, I throw the same pitches, but it’s just a little different game.”

Showalter was always a fan of Bridwell, constantly lauding his pedigree as a standout quarterback who earned a scholarship to play in college at Texas Tech. And even though Bridwell didn’t pan out with the Orioles, Showalter said he thought Bridwell would see success.

“It doesn’t surprise anybody,” Showalter said. “… I think a lot of Parker. I remember Nathan, my son, scouted the Amarillo area in West Texas, and he’s like a god over there. All they want to talk about is Parker. … Some of the minor league stats, they’re foolers on both sides. You have to get to know the guy. You’ve got to know what it looks like up here, and Parker always had a big league presentation, very competitive. This is a good spot for him. I’m very happy for him.”

7 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

No one has a crystal ball and Bridwell is far from Cy Young material. He's having a decent season. I am happy for him.

36 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

No one has a crystal ball and Bridwell is far from Cy Young material. He's having a decent season. I am happy for him.

Agreed, but you don't think it is a bit ..umm.."unlucky" that he sold this guy for cash and claimed about 10-20 pitchers that all were pretty much garbage. I mean there is bad luck, and there is incompetency in evaluation pitching talent.

Miguel Castro looks good, Bleier was signed in the offseason...all the other waiver claims...swing and a miss.

I am sorry, but no organization is just that unlucky. Something is systematically wrong.

2 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-angels-bridwell-20170808-story.html

“With the Orioles, they always stressed the changeup,” said Bridwell, who owned a career 4.79 ERA in the Orioles’ minor-league organization . “If you don’t have the changeup, you can’t make it and all that. I’ve thrown my changeup just as much here. It’s just not as stressed in this organization. It’s one of those things, if you can throw off-speed for a strike regardless of what it is, you’ll be fine. I feel like I’ve thrown a lot of changeups this year, but definitely not as many because they kind of pushed it with Baltimore. But yeah, I throw the same pitches, but it’s just a little different game.”

Showalter was always a fan of Bridwell, constantly lauding his pedigree as a standout quarterback who earned a scholarship to play in college at Texas Tech. And even though Bridwell didn’t pan out with the Orioles, Showalter said he thought Bridwell would see success.

“It doesn’t surprise anybody,” Showalter said. “… I think a lot of Parker. I remember Nathan, my son, scouted the Amarillo area in West Texas, and he’s like a god over there. All they want to talk about is Parker. … Some of the minor league stats, they’re foolers on both sides. You have to get to know the guy. You’ve got to know what it looks like up here, and Parker always had a big league presentation, very competitive. This is a good spot for him. I’m very happy for him.”

This is outrageous. Seems like Buck is essentially admitting the Orioles organization doesn't have what it takes to make this talented pitcher a success 

On 8/11/2017 at 7:37 PM, BayAreaBmore said:

This is outrageous. Seems like Buck is essentially admitting the Orioles organization doesn't have what it takes to make this talented pitcher a success 

Does this surprise you?

55 minutes ago, Rob said:

Does this surprise you?

No I know the talent development especially for pitchers is a complete fail.  But Buck essentially admitting it is kind of interesting 

A string of AAAA pitchers would have been more productive most likely than much of the rotation has been this season... a lot of low-A quality performances so far...

On 8/11/2017 at 3:45 PM, ncbirdfan said:

Yea, I used to think that way about Golden Doodles. You know, best of both worlds. Then I got a large, high strung, dumb dog that sheds. :D

Man, this took some digging.

He went three innings for the Charlotte Knights, allowing one hit and striking out four.

16 hours ago, ChippewaJoe said:

Man, this took some digging.

He went three innings for the Charlotte Knights, allowing one hit and striking out four.

LOL!!!  Sox already realized this guy is a AAAA filler before he even got to bigs!