Guido2

Ad audio and no ad on Win 10

24 posts in this topic

OK this has been a bit weird. After the latest Win 10 forced upgrade/patch I will be on a any given web page and I am getting advertisement audio which generally is totally unrelated to the page I am looking at. I mean; I am on a hardware page and getting a voice ad for female hygiene stuff....really!

I check what I have open re web pages and there is no coinciding ads/pop-ups that I can see. I check Task manager...and see nothing there either.

Anybody else having this experience. It is very annoying having to hit the mute button.

Thanks in advance, Guido.

Posted (edited)

Remove Video And Audio Ads From Windows Background (Removal Guide)

If you hearing random audio ads in the Windows background while browsing the Internet, then it is possible that your computer is infected with an adware program.

The adware responsible for these random audio ads in background is bundled with other free software that you download off of the Internet. Unfortunately, some free downloads do not adequately disclose that other software will also be installed and you may find that you have installed adware without your knowledge.

Once this malicious program is installed, whenever you will browse the Internet, an random audio ad will play in the background. These ads are aimed to promote the installation of additional questionable content including web browser toolbars, optimization utilities and other products, all so the adware publisher can generate pay-per-click revenue.

Instructions in link.

Edited by EL-FLIPPO

On 8/14/2017 at 10:10 AM, EL-FLIPPO said:

Remove Video And Audio Ads From Windows Background (Removal Guide)

If you hearing random audio ads in the Windows background while browsing the Internet, then it is possible that your computer is infected with an adware program.

The adware responsible for these random audio ads in background is bundled with other free software that you download off of the Internet. Unfortunately, some free downloads do not adequately disclose that other software will also be installed and you may find that you have installed adware without your knowledge.

Once this malicious program is installed, whenever you will browse the Internet, an random audio ad will play in the background. These ads are aimed to promote the installation of additional questionable content including web browser toolbars, optimization utilities and other products, all so the adware publisher can generate pay-per-click revenue.

Instructions in link.

Thanks, I pretty much have done what suggested...ran Heavy Duty scans... Malware, Spybot, Afee etc. Picked throught the task manager saw no recognizable tell tail executables.

And it seems to have subsided after a few removals. But it still comes up from time to time.

I will investigate using the tools suggested in the link you provided.

Thanks for the help.

Guido.

Too Many or Bad JAVA scripts, I get that from time to time on the UK Daily Mail site. Haven't run across it that much elsewhere. They have Ads & Videos popping up but you hear the audio before the pop up screen comes on. Then when it does pop up it won't go away when you click it immediately. Some sites are just trying to cram too much Stuff on the page.

I get audio ads (usually for Cadillac) on this talk board.

5 hours ago, Bartman said:

Too Many or Bad JAVA scripts, I get that from time to time on the UK Daily Mail site. Haven't run across it that much elsewhere. They have Ads & Videos popping up but you hear the audio before the pop up screen comes on. Then when it does pop up it won't go away when you click it immediately. Some sites are just trying to cram too much Stuff on the page.

1 hour ago, Baltimatt said:

I get audio ads (usually for Cadillac) on this talk board.

As I said after I made some fixes....things seem to have calmed down. However as you state I suspect you are correct about bad JAVA code. I use Firefox and I have just noted (particularly on this forum page thx matt for that lead it helped me realize).... that when you select a page the  loading arrow/circle tends to run stop run on the webpage tab.....is when I get mystery ads. Can't attest if they are strictly Cadillac...I generally hit the mute button. :D This run stop also seems to apply to other pages as well from my recollection.

It is very annoying ....especially if one is trying to listen to somebodies vid link.

Ohhh I also noticed,,,,, can't remember specifically what pages...if there is some sort of embedded vid ad....seem to always be in the right side.....if they seem to be visually studdering flickering....sort of like Max Headroom. I always get a background ad.

Here is a tip...and I use it all the time .....in Firefox on the address bar some link addresses present you an icon ....sort of looks like an open book....hit it...and it dumps the page into read only...No ads of any sort. Just strictly copy....so what would take 15 minutes to pick through to get by the garbage can now be read in minutes.  HOWEVER, our wonderful forum page does not like it  and it comes out in a weird format.....figures. :lol:

Thanks guys, I'll post if I stumble across anything else...hope you do also.

Have a great day.

Guido

Yeah, it's Bad Code on whatever Page you pull up. On Firefox, just pulled up UK Daily Mail and a couple different Video Ads TRIED to run but all there was, was the Audio then the page went blank and Firefox came up with a message that said "Blah Blah Website configured Improperly etc.etc.etc." so it's some outfits just trying to cram too much Stuff on their pages. Ads, they all have to put Dozens of Ads & Pop Ups on their sites anymore. It's getting Annoying.

Posted (edited)

I think next time I see something/hear I will cut the address and drop it into explorer or edge just to see if their browers do a better job. Seems all three have some major flaws.

I fully understand that businesses are in it to make a buck....that is what they do.

But lately it is getting out of control ... I think. Now....and this is pure speculation.....but I think...they think that everyone is looking at some humngus screen with plenty of space to move/drag or because of the large screen....well the crap out of the way. I mostly use my Dell Inspiron 11 ...stuffs always piled up.

And ggggeeeeeeeee remember when you PAID to get cable SO YOU DIDN'T have to see ads. That was a nice bit of bait and switch...get you hooked on cable....make the normal antenna TV go away...hence no competition....jack the rates and ad a gaaaagillion hours of ads. shhhesssh.

Shhhhessssshhhhh now it is worse than ever compared to when we used antennas' .

I got a good buddy that is a lobbyist....very smart analytical guy. We were talking about the ad thing. He pointed out that most 30 minute TV shows are only 16.8 minutes of show now due to ads.

And the execs wonder why people are cutting the cable. I am finally drilling down and looking more carefully at the Firestick that I installed. Even the free stuff from Amazon has mininal ads...one blurp in the beginnng for abut a minute....then the show....no interuptions...then maybe a minute at the end. Firestick is really looking good to me. Especially since I can pick the 5 or 6 things I watch for maybe 1/10th what full cable tv costs me.

Sorry about the ramble....but it is something near and dear to my heart. I was a first generation TV kid....my Mom love it....give me lunch....put me in front of the TV....turn on SuperCar or Fireball xl-5 and she was free. :D I used to go to bed when 'Perry Masion' went on...that was the signal...to this day I can play the intro music in my head without any pro pprooo prrroaaaahhh problem. :D

Have a good one....continue to share.

Edited by Guido2

On 8/23/2017 at 5:44 AM, Bartman said:

On 8/28/2017 at 7:56 AM, Bartman said:

Yeah, it's Bad Code on whatever Page you pull up. On Firefox, just pulled up UK Daily Mail and a couple different Video Ads TRIED to run but all there was, was the Audio then the page went blank and Firefox came up with a message that said "Blah Blah Website configured Improperly etc.etc.etc." so it's some outfits just trying to cram too much Stuff on their pages. Ads, they all have to put Dozens of Ads & Pop Ups on their sites anymore. It's getting Annoying.

The Firefox extension NoScript addresses all of those issues.

Extra protection for your Firefox: NoScript allows JavaScript, Java (and other plugins) only for trusted domains of your choice (e.g. your home-banking web site). This whitelist based pre-emptive blocking approach  prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities (known and even unknown!) with no loss of functionality.

It allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted domains of your choice, guarding your "trust boundaries" against cross-site scripting attacks (XSS), cross-zone DNS rebinding / CSRF attacks (router hacking), and Clickjacking attempts, thanks to its unique ClearClick technology. It also implements the DoNotTrack tracking opt-out proposal by default.

Winner of the "PC World World Class Award", this tool gives you some of the best available protection on the web.

Thanks El for the information.... I will definitely have to check it out.

Guido

Firefox just sent out a Critical Update and it looked like a .js patch.

Yeah I loaded the other day...or should I say they loaded it.....:lol: Was not an optional....load to play. :lol:

Must have done something.....I don't recall getting phantom voices lately. But as we know it randomn from site to site.

Edited by Guido2

What's annoying to me is opening a page and having videos on the page start automatically. Usually ads. Very annoying.

I tried using Chrome extension Disable HTML5 Autoplay but that sometimes screws with the layout of the page.

I prefer the Firefox browser, and have added the excellent browser extensions Adblock Plus, Decentraleyes, NoScript, and uBlock Origin. These extensions actually reduce the amount of crap that my browser has to deal with before it gets to the Rose Garden, and ultimately speeds up my page load time. They all are specialized extensions with small footprints.

I also use a paid VPN (Virtual Private Network) to hide my real IP internet address, which serves to confound any entity that attempts to track my internet activities. They think I am at one geo-location when I'm really at another.

What's annoying to me is opening a page and having videos on the page start automatically. Usually ads. Very annoying.

I also use the Firefox extension Tab Mix Plus. On the rare occasion that a web page plays an auto-video, I simply right-click the web page tab and left-click "Mute Tab".

Edited by EL-FLIPPO

From the first line.....could you save me a bit of time and tell me where they can be found?

VPN (head slap)....I have been retired too long......totally forgot about that option. Well time to crank up one of my servers in my home office. :D Thanks for the reminder.

11 hours ago, Guido2 said:

From the first line.....could you save me a bit of time and tell me where they can be found?

VPN (head slap)....I have been retired too long......totally forgot about that option. Well time to crank up one of my servers in my home office. :D Thanks for the reminder.

I am only a true novice concerning FTP (File Transfer Protocol). I think one needs to set up a server for that. I am aware that one of its uses is to share files. However you don't need to configure a server for a VPN.

VPN's operate by functioning as a middleman, and route all of your internet activity through their servers before it reaches your computer. As a result, web sites only see the VPN's IP address, and your actual IP address is hidden from them. Creating a marketing profile, or tracking the real you across the internet becomes problematic if you use a VPN.

At this moment my apparent IP address appears to originate from New York. I also have options for Singapore_China, St. Petersburg_Russia, Toronto_Canada, Mexico City_Mexico, Seattle, Miami, Chicago, & Rio among others.

I happen to use a paid version of Avast Secure-Line VPN, and just renewed my subscription for another year. However there other VPN service providers that are likely equally as good, and some may be better overall. My positive experience during Avast's 30-day free trial was enough to convince me to go with them.

Edited by EL-FLIPPO

Picked up a Trojan somewhere. 1st thing I noticed was the Laptop slowing down opening programs a lot. Then my weekly run of Malwarebytes wouldn't work. Uninstalled it & tried to DL the latest version but it wouldn't Install. That's Weird! So I remembered when I caught something a few years ago and DL'd  Hitman Pro trial version & it found a Trojan right away Then I was able to Reinstall Malwarebytes and run it and it found 2 more different Trojans. So I have Both trial versions running now and we'll see what happens. Can't think of where I might have picked up the Infections. Haven't browsed around anywhere really that Sketchy lately as far as I can remember. Anyway, everything's back to Normal..  

On 9/8/2017 at 10:20 PM, EL-FLIPPO said:

I am only a true novice concerning FTP (File Transfer Protocol). I think one needs to set up a server for that.

To host files for download requires a server, yes. Most browsers can resolve links to FTP hosted resources (files) and can handle the protocol. If you need to do something sophisticated with FTP and need a client, FileZilla can be had for free and is quite good. I see they also have a server, if you need to host files for others using this protocol; it only runs on Windows. WARNING: Watch the installer carefully. It may have bundled offers.

Edited by Evil Yoda

On 9/8/2017 at 10:20 PM, EL-FLIPPO said:

I am only a true novice concerning FTP (File Transfer Protocol). I think one needs to set up a server for that. I am aware that one of its uses is to share files. However you don't need to configure a server for a VPN.

VPN's operate by functioning as a middleman, and route all of your internet activity through their servers before it reaches your computer. As a result, web sites only see the VPN's IP address, and your actual IP address is hidden from them. Creating a marketing profile, or tracking the real you across the internet becomes problematic if you use a VPN.

At this moment my apparent IP address appears to originate from New York. I also have options for Singapore_China, St. Petersburg_Russia, Toronto_Canada, Mexico City_Mexico, Seattle, Miami, Chicago, & Rio among others.

I happen to use a paid version of Avast Secure-Line VPN, and just renewed my subscription for another year. However there other VPN service providers that are likely equally as good, and some may be better overall. My positive experience during Avast's 30-day free trial was enough to convince me to go with them.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner....You SURE don't sound like a novice. And thanks for 'pre-testing' all those extensions for me. :lol:

Since I retired from IT....I have a 'if it isn't really really broken....and the machine is OK....don't f with it'. Guess I have IT gun flinch of all those 3AM phone calls from the VA that the system was down....because someone messed with it...they 'thought' they were helping. :mad:

I burned myself out over 35 years I guess.....now it is a tool. I don't need a chain saw when a hand saw will do....if that makes any sense.

Thanks again for your info! Guido

16 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

To host files for download requires a server, yes. Most browsers can resolve links to FTP hosted resources (files) and can handle the protocol. If you need to do something sophisticated with FTP and need a client, FileZilla can be had for free and is quite good. I see they also have a server, if you need to host files for others using this protocol; it only runs on Windows. WARNING: Watch the installer carefully. It may have bundled offers.

I have systems in my home lab that I have used. But for those of you that don't have that luxury I have had good success by install one of the Virtual Machines ....I have used VMware and Windows Virtual PC ...both are very good and easy to install and use.

https://lifehacker.com/5714966/five-best-virtual-machine-applications

Best of all they are free. I found them very useful for when I was was traveling to various sites and never knew exactly what OS I would run into. So I had EVERYTHING loaded in there own little worlds as an app in my laptop ...leaveing the real OS totally isolated. The beauty of VMs is that you can mess with things all you want....blow things up etc.....and yout REAL machine doesn't know a thing about it.  Blow it up? No problem deleted that virtual machine object....create a new space....install a new OS. Again the real machine doesn't know anything.

Used to run FTP back when I was making Websites in the late 90's and into like 2003 or 4 when I quit. That's how I uploaded everything to my Host from MS Front Page then Dreamweaver. Don't remember what program I used for that anymore, may have been extensions built into MS FP & Dream.

15 hours ago, Bartman said:

Used to run FTP back when I was making Websites in the late 90's and into like 2003 or 4 when I quit. That's how I uploaded everything to my Host from MS Front Page then Dreamweaver. Don't remember what program I used for that anymore, may have been extensions built into MS FP & Dream.

Yeah I used FTP a lot also. As I mentioned we had a lot of 'hotshot' youngsters that had all sorts of fancy apps to upload patches and stuff...which I used to. But as always...they sometimes failed. The yun'ns....used to call me old man when I cranked up an old fashion b/w text/edit screen...key in the FTP code etc.....hit return... and it worked everytime to my recollection.

At least it shut them up for a while. A few actually asked me to show them 'how to do it'. Of course when no one else was looking. :D

OH some good news....my final issue seems to be resolved....the one where I would close the lid on the laptop and when I opened up the lid...the system crashed, dumped and re-booted with a stop code regardng memory.

Well I did all the diags etc and it always came back clean...looking at the dump....nothing to speak of.

Then I figured it out. I use a 'lap top board' while in my recliner. Sometimes...the laptop would slide toward the lip and BLOCK THE HEAT VENTS. This Dell has them on the edge...not underneath like most computers...so it is easy to do. Memory HATES HEAT...as long as I am careful and leave the vents clear.....it is a happy camper.

Both my Latitudes, 54__ something and 64__ something have their vents on the side. I've noticed some of the heat also goes out the USB & other ports there as well. I watch never to block them unless something's plugged into them. Here's a little Heat monitor program, it's Free!

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Edited by Bartman

13 hours ago, Bartman said:

Both my Latitudes, 54__ something and 64__ something have their vents on the side. I've noticed some of the heat also goes out the USB & other ports there as well. I watch never to block them unless something's plugged into them. Here's a little Heat monitor program, it's Free!

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Thanks for the tool....would be handy to prove my theory.

All my laptops till this one had plenty of ventilation bottom sides etc. My previous one a Toshiba Satelllite looked like swiss cheese compared to this one. :D

This one as I said has few...But it is built like a tank...very solid...very heavy.. real metal frames and such. Solid state hard drive to reduce heat... I assume.

I got this on a deep discount from Dell clearance.. I sort of did some background checking on it.....my suspicion is this is an overrun of a contract for the military (think desert storm-ish) and has been slightly 'civilized'. It is way to sealed up and over engineered for the normal consumer in my mind. It is a Dell Inspiron 11 and it is still available...sort of. I have looked at the most recent versions...it is lighter and 'cheese-er' if you will and comes with a standard drive.....hence my suspicion of military surplus.

Not knocking that.....surplus tends to be uber over-engineered and last much longer than civilian stuff....and not just computers. For example....look at a sleeping bag from Cabela's for the winter....then compare it to one from the military. Night and day.

I bet that