Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigDrop

DeMatha vs. Westfield Scrimmage Report from VA Preps

110 posts in this topic

Following is from VA Preps.  Note that Westfield has won the Virginia state division 6 championship (largest) two years in a row.  DeMatha has scrimmaged them almost ever year for the last ten or so.  A note is also made that Westfield will scrimmage Quince Orchard this coming weekend.  That should be a very interesting matchup.

Westfield and DeMatha held their annual scrimmage this afternoon after being rained out last night. It went about as I expected when you have a good public school team facing a nationally ranked private school powerhouse.

The two teams did the normal 10 plays per team in the first "half", running 10 plays for each team's first string offense and defense, then 10 plays for the second string offense and defense. WF's first team offense moved the ball a little, then some penalties and DM defensive pressure pushed them back. When DM went on offense, WF was able to get a pick that killed the DM drive. The 2nd string WF offense fared a bit better moving the ball, but was unable to score in their 10 plays. DM did better, getting a long TD to give DM a 1 score to zero score lead at the half.

The second "half" was game-like (but with only static KOs and punts). Both teams started the second half with their first strings in the game, but as the half went on each team began working in more and more subs. WF managed one early scoring drive and scored on a long pass play when the receiver adjusted back for the ball. DM scored a total of five times, 3 or 4 times against second stringers (I don't recall all the scores exactly, and after the first series or two the teams used liberal subs to get a look at a lot of players). You could see the superior size, speed, and athleticism of DM start to have an effect on WF.

Overall, having only 8-9 days of practice, I think this young WF team acquitted themselves very well. If today was any indication, more than half the WF starters will be SOs or JRs, including just about all the skill positions. Depending on the offensive set WF could have as many as 8-9 underclassmen on offense on any given play. I have been following this team since the year after the school opened and I don't recall ever having seen such a young WF team (with the possible exception of the first varsity year in 2001). If they learn from today and next week's scrimmage against MD power Quince Orchard, and continue to improve, these Bulldogs will certainly be in the region mix this year - and with a young team should be well prepared for next year as well.

What's your report of your view of the scrimmage Biggie?

This scrimmage means nothing, the "real" scrimmage happens in three days!! DeMatha could have scored 100 times against this team, let's see what they do against a team that's going to be their main competition for State supremacy. A team that's bigger and deeper. This scrimmage will be standing room only! 

Oh come on GA, with the "practice" at Dunbar, if 10 folks show up it would be essentially standing.  DeMatha's other scrimmages could have been standing room affairs if the dates, times, and locations weren't national secrets.  BigDroop, a fan(atic) since the '60s, would have been there instead of asking us where his beloved Stags were playing.  And let's be real, this "real scrimmage" means nothing as a scrimmage beyond testosterone boast.  If it were meant to mean something then it would have been booked as a real game and not practice at Dunbar.  Why does AI come to mind to me right now with this real scrimmage/practice.

GA, go see your greydawgs practice with Riverdale Baptist Friday instead and have a seat.  Hell, use the seat in front of you for a foot/leg rest.  :D

This the bs I dont like about them DM bamas. When you ask them how the scrimmage went, it comes out completely different than what I just read. 

24 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

This the bs I dont like about them DM bamas. When you ask them how the scrimmage went, it comes out completely different than what I just read. 

I remember when people said Pallotti beat DM in a scrimmage last season then DM proceeded to go undefeated and end the year at #4 in the USA Today poll. Now we've got a write up from the Westfield High School newspaper and everyone from DM is a liar because some High School kid tasked with pumping the student body up wrote about an interception and some 4th string TD's. Oh how I love this time of year. 

1 minute ago, Silverbullet said:

I remember when people said Pallotti beat DM in a scrimmage last season then DM proceeded to go undefeated and end the year at #4 in the USA Today poll. Now we've got a write up from the Westfield High School newspaper and everyone from DM is a liar because some High School kid tasked with pumping the student body up wrote about an interception and some 4th string TD's. Oh how I love this time of year. 

Did you play for DM , just curious 

2 minutes ago, Rob A. said:

Did you play for DM , just curious 

Yes

4 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

This scrimmage means nothing, the "real" scrimmage happens in three days!! DeMatha could have scored 100 times against this team, let's see what they do against a team that's going to be their main competition for State supremacy. A team that's bigger and deeper. This scrimmage will be standing room only! 

I wouldn't say bigger and deeper. I think people tend to look at 25+ transfers or whatever and get wide eyed. I'd take DM's WR's, DT's and DB's over SFA. I'd also call the RB's even. Personally I like DM's RB's better, but I understand a tie there. The OL is something we're going to have to see when the lights come on. I can give SFA an edge at DE and LB. At QB it's all potential from both. Nobody knows what the Richmond transfer can do and the DM kid has a bunch of FBS offers waiting for live tape. It should be a great scrimmage though. 

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Oh come on GA, with the "practice" at Dunbar, if 10 folks show up it would be essentially standing.  DeMatha's other scrimmages could have been standing room affairs if the dates, times, and locations weren't national secrets.  BigDroop, a fan(atic) since the '60s, would have been there instead of asking us where his beloved Stags were playing.  And let's be real, this "real scrimmage" means nothing as a scrimmage beyond testosterone boast.  If it were meant to mean something then it would have been booked as a real game and not practice at Dunbar.  Why does AI come to mind to me right now with this real scrimmage/practice.

GA, go see your greydawgs practice with Riverdale Baptist Friday instead and have a seat.  Hell, use the seat in front of you for a foot/leg rest.  :D

DW,

You are one wild cat.😂😂😂  Some heads may have a problem with you on here.  I have no problem with you Joe.  You keep the board entertaining and you actually know your football.  You may not attend all the games but you definitley do your homework on those that you aren't able to attend. Respect.

Edited by B-BALL IN MOTION

Posted (edited)

This will be the 5th year in a row Westfield and QO have scrimmaged.

While I personally do not put to much stock into scrimmage results.  There is something to be said about who certain programs scrimmage.

Edited by nomad974

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Silverbullet said:

I wouldn't say bigger and deeper. I think people tend to look at 25+ transfers or whatever and get wide eyed. I'd take DM's WR's, DT's and DB's over SFA. I'd also call the RB's even. Personally I like DM's RB's better, but I understand a tie there. The OL is something we're going to have to see when the lights come on. I can give SFA an edge at DE and LB. At QB it's all potential from both. Nobody knows what the Richmond transfer can do and the DM kid has a bunch of FBS offers waiting for live tape. It should be a great scrimmage though. 

Somehow my response didn't go through. To sum it all up, the only position I see that DM has a clear advantage over SFA is at DT. They're 100% not better than them at WR, DB or RB. SFA, if they have a healthy Henry, will have one of the best WR corps in the history of the state! Fields is point blank the best WR in the state and I don't even think it's close. Hall destroyed the DM's DB's last year, he's Top 3 in the state. If Henry is healthy, SFA has three WR's better than any of DM's. Hellums has the hype, hasn't proved anywhere on the field that he's even close to being better than those kids. 

Qb, I agree with you. We will have to wait and see. Will also have to wait and see with the OL's. 

Maxpreps has DM at 12 and SFA at 18, so they see the teams as basically even. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Somehow my response didn't go through. To sum it all up, the only position I see that DM has a clear advantage over SFA is at DT. They're 100% not better than them at WR, DB or RB. SFA, if they have a healthy Henry, will have one of the best WR corps in the history of the state! Fields is point blank the best WR in the state and I don't even think it's close. Hall destroyed the DM's DB's last year, he's Top 3 in the state. If Henry is healthy, SFA has three WR's better than any of DM's. Hellums has the hype, hasn't proved anywhere on the field that he's even close to being better than those kids. 

Qb, I agree with you. We will have to wait and see. Will also have to wait and see with the OL's. 

Maxpreps has DM at 12 and SFA at 18, so they see the teams as basically even. 

For WR I'm taking DM all day. I'd rather have 3-4 D1 kids who have played with each other for 3 years than a group that just met with a new QB. I do like Hall though. SFA needed that type of player offensively. Still taking DM.

At DB, SFA just doesn't have enough to match up with Tallandier, Cross, Muhammad, and Hellams. All 4 have power 5 offers and have played with each other for 3-4 years. IMO, Hellams is the best safety DM has had since Tate. He and Cross have 25+ Power 5 offers between the both of them. Easily the best safety tandem in MD. Logan-Nealy is another very talented DB to throw in there. 

Now that Leddie isn't at SFA, I'm taking Lloyd over the whole bunch. Miree is also very talented. I called it a tie because of the depth SFA has, but they don't have a home run hitter. 

Edited by Silverbullet

Posted (edited)

For WR I'm taking DM all day. I'd rather have 3-4 D1 kids who have played with each other for 3 years than a group that just met with a new QB.

I prefer 1-2 WR NHds who who happen to walk thru the doors any given year; that Box of Chocolates Forest Gump talks about...  Keep the 3-4 WR D1 divas.....those whinnie lil beaches!

NHd - neighborhoodies

Edited by DayWalker

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, B-BALL IN MOTION said:

DW,

You are one wild cat.😂😂😂  Some heads may have a problem with you on here.  I have no problem with you Joe.  You keep the board entertaining and you actually know your football.  You may not attend all the games but you definitley do your homework on those that you aren't able to attend. Respect.

I'm a wild vamp, not a wild cat.  I suck the blood out of cats for appetizers and toss aside the dried out fur carcass.  But I get out to see games all over the state, but probably not as many as JMT.  And games I can't get to, I try to see the game film.  Contrary to popular believe, I know and like numerous Stags.  I've know and seen several since they were 6, 7, 8-years of age playing youth ball.

Edited by DayWalker

For WR I'm taking DM all day. I'd rather have 3-4 D1 kids who have played with each other for 3 years than a group that just met with a new QB. I do like Hall though. SFA needed that type of player offensively. Still taking DM.

At DB, SFA just doesn't have enough to match up with Tallandier, Cross, Muhammad, and Hellams. All 4 have power 5 offers and have played with each other for 3-4 years. IMO, Hellams is the best safety DM has had since Tate. He and Cross have 25+ Power 5 offers between the both of them. Easily the best safety tandem in MD. Logan-Nealy is another very talented DB to throw in there. 

Now that Leddie isn't at SFA, I'm taking Lloyd over the whole bunch. Miree is also very talented. I called it a tie because of the depth SFA has, but they don't have a home run hitter. 

not in the area anymore so i'm just checking in with the some DM people...but QB position will be interesting, Beau was one of the best leaders at that position DM has had IMO...love Hellams, but i would take Lorenzo(striker zo) Waters at safety if we are talking since Tate..

Henry and Fields played together last year, what are you talking about? Hall is a slot and is better than Hellams. Hall isn't better than Fields. WR's playing together? They're not throwing each other the ball. It's all about the QB. With a healthy Henry, all three of SFA have shown that they're better than Hellams, so far. I think even If he reaches his potential, Hellams isn't better than Fields. I don't think you know just how good of a player Randy Fields is. Have you actually seen him play? I think he might be the best overall player in the state. The rankings are BS, this kid is a five star talent. 

You do know that SFA got Bishop Mac's best player right? The Evans kid at safety. He's a monster. Fields might be better on defense than he is on offense, that's how good he is. Now, this is a corps that you could have an argument about not playing together. But SFA got a bunch of studs DB transfer's that you just don't know about. 

Even without Leedie Brown, SFA's RB's are better. You know that they got Bangda from SJC right? Where has Lloyd shown that he's better than Bangda? And Miree is not better than Osman Savage. Osman Savage was SFA's best RB last year and their other one was first team All Metro. He had almost 1000 yards rushing, playing part time. 

Like I said, the only clear cut position where I say that DM is without a doubt better than SFA is at DT. 

3 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

Where is your write from the scrimmage; did you not see it...

3 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Where is your write from the scrimmage; did you not see it...

You must of been drinking like the plane was going down all weekend. We went over that on Friday. 

7 minutes ago, dunkone said:

not in the area anymore so i'm just checking in with the some DM people...but QB position will be interesting, Beau was one of the best leaders at that position DM has had IMO...love Hellams, but i would take Lorenzo(striker zo) Waters at safety if we are talking since Tate..

Good call. Great career at Rutgers. 

9 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Henry and Fields played together last year, what are you talking about? Hall is a slot and is better than Hellams. Hall isn't better than Fields. WR's playing together? They're not throwing each other the ball. It's all about the QB. With a healthy Henry, all three of SFA have shown that they're better than Hellams, so far. I think even If he reaches his potential, Hellams isn't better than Fields. I don't think you know just how good of a player Randy Fields is. Have you actually seen him play? I think he might be the best overall player in the state. The rankings are BS, this kid is a five star talent. 

You do know that SFA got Bishop Mac's best player right? The Evans kid at safety. He's a monster. Fields might be better on defense than he is on offense, that's how good he is. Now, this is a corps that you could have an argument about not playing together. But SFA got a bunch of studs DB transfer's that you just don't know about. 

Even without Leedie Brown, SFA's RB's are better. You know that they got Bangda from SJC right? Where has Lloyd shown that he's better than Bangda? And Miree is not better than Osman Savage. Osman Savage was SFA's best RB last year and their other one was first team All Metro. He had almost 1000 yards rushing, playing part time. 

Like I said, the only clear cut position where I say that DM is without a doubt better than SFA is at DT. 

Johnson will be better than Hall in the slot. Already has better offers than him and better size. It is what it is, I'd rather take DM's receivers playing with the QB for 3-4 years. We can disagree. DM's receivers were young last year. I understand I'm projecting that they'll be better. 

Yea I feel pretty strong about DM's DB's. They are just better. 

SFA has no home run threat at RB. Lloyd is much better than Bangda. Others teams are going to fill the box against SFA and make the QB beat them. Bangda will get his yardage from 4-10 yard blasts. You know that coaching staff is run heavy. WR's get lost in that offense. I'd 100% rather have Miree. Savage isn't a RB. He's a great athlete. He's not making that game winning TD catch in the WCAC championship like Miree on the wheel route out of the backfield. 

18 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

Johnson will be better than Hall in the slot. Already has better offers than him and better size. It is what it is, I'd rather take DM's receivers playing with the QB for 3-4 years. We can disagree. DM's receivers were young last year. I understand I'm projecting that they'll be better. 

Yea I feel pretty strong about DM's DB's. They are just better. 

SFA has no home run threat at RB. Lloyd is much better than Bangda. Others teams are going to fill the box against SFA and make the QB beat them. Bangda will get his yardage from 4-10 yard blasts. You know that coaching staff is run heavy. WR's get lost in that offense. I'd 100% rather have Miree. Savage isn't a RB. He's a great athlete. He's not making that game winning TD catch in the WCAC championship like Miree on the wheel route out of the backfield. 

You're talking about offers, I'm talking about production and play on the field! And not one of those WR's are close to any of the three WR's on SFA's roster. 

You definitely didn't see SFA play last year, that's obvious. They actually passed the ball quite a bit. This wasn't the old Gilman offense we are talking about. Fields had multiple 200 yard receiving games. Also had multiple 4 TD receiving games. He's head and shoulders better than anybody DM has. He's also already built like a man, and college ready. 

Are we talking about the same Bangda kid who had two games his ninth grade year of over 200 yards rushing and over 1000 yards? Who has offers from programs like Bama, Ohio State and UCLA? He's not a homerun in threat? I think Lloyd has a boat load of POTENTIAL, but he hasn't shown he's better than Bangda and you're literally talking about him like thr kid isn't legit.

Like I said, you didn't see SFA play last year. Savage IS a RB and I even told somebody before that I think he's better than Leedie Brown but he's such a good LB, they would use him there. Miree isn't better, I've seen both of them play multiple times. Let's just let the tape be the judge. 

Osman Savage: http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/videos.aspx?careerid=f4fb7314-6c31-e611-bef0-a0369f3c1b4c&videoid=395faae5-51ab-4a0c-b4a7-8827983c8aea

Myles Miree : http://www.hudl.com/video/3/7996495/581e0b743bd81437e46fdf6d

Joachim Bangda: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4656732/583668e9c124de2a44f40468

Marshawn Lloyd: 

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/9301619/5900e277bee0b50bf8b503f1

First thing I notice from their highlights, SFA RB's are grown men! I think Lloyd is going to be a great player, but to say he's definitively better than Bangda, I think is a huge stretch. And I'm taking Savage over Miree, all day everyday. If you ask me to pick a player I would want in the future, it would be Lloyd. 

54 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

You must of been drinking like the plane was going down all weekend. We went over that on Friday. 

Then stop beaching about the write-up of the scrimmage someone else bothered post and you have no direct view to counter.....  Yep, we went over how you don't care about Dem scrimmages but you yik yak about details of what happened.  That's chevy chasin'  STOP Snip STOP!!!!

Focus focus focus on Gorman Gorman Gorman....not SFA, a scrimmage you couldn't care less about.  When it comes to Gorman, nearly everyone around here but The Daywalker will be with you and have your Dem back.  I want Gorman to expose and soften you up for Franklin to stick a fork in your season right from the get so that winning the WCAC, the DeMatha Invitational, will be a taste of sour lemons.

So will the Dem - SFA scrimmage Friday be the first or what scrimmage for SFA?