Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigDrop

DeMatha vs. Westfield Scrimmage Report from VA Preps

110 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

Just watched Fields tape. Good film! All the intangibles are there and should translate well at the next level because of his size and fearlessness. But to be considered as the best in the state he has to play defense. This is highschool and I didnt see any defensive highlights. Hellams plays both sides of the ball. The younger Hellams learned form the his older brother who didnt play both sides of the ball and the recruiting headache that came with not doing so. The offer sheets of both athletes speaks volume to me. Gotta play 2-3 phases of the game to be considered in the convo as the best overall in the state, IMO

It pains me to do so, but I have to agree with this, again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

It pains me to do so, but I have to agree with this, again. 

It aint gonna kill you! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

From start to finish that entire post made zero sense. It's not like I was trying to read German because I could read the words. I just have no idea what any of that has to do with your DM OCD? 

Get a romper room reading from counselor State Champs aacounty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

Just watched Fields tape. Good film! All the intangibles are there and should translate well at the next level because of his size and fearlessness. But to be considered as the best in the state he has to play defense. This is highschool and I didnt see any defensive highlights. Hellams plays both sides of the ball. The younger Hellams learned form the his older brother who didnt play both sides of the ball and the recruiting headache that came with not doing so. The offer sheets of both athletes speaks volume to me. Gotta play 2-3 phases of the game to be considered in the convo as the best overall in the state, IMO

Excellent post TSlick and what I often see in many so-called elite players in MD, particularly the private pool; just one way play, one trick ponies.  I've seen many kids who transfer to public schools so use to playing on one side of the ball or one position and otherwise great athletes having adjustment issues and rely on pure athleticism to power themselves through.  I'm now thinking of a particular WR some years back from a dominant local private who went to a public and cringed at the idea he had to play defense.  It was like he closed his eyes and whiffed when he had to make a tackle or take on a pulling guard for his linebackers to mop up.  Hell, he learned that he had a strong leg and could kickoff, punt, and even won a very big game for his team as a place kicker.  I'm thinking of another private player who had adjustment and trust issues coming from a man-to-man environment to a public zone defense as a corner BUT he picked up and learned that he could also play receiver and he excelled at it.

So good insightful post Slick.

Edited by DayWalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Excellent post TSlick and what I often see in many so-called elite players in MD, particularly the private pool.  Just one way play, one trick ponies.  I've seen many kids who transfer to public schools use to playing on one side of the ball or one position and otherwise great athletes having adjustment issues and rely on pure athleticism to power themselves through.  I thinking of a particulary WR from a dominant local private who went to a public and cringed at the idea he had to play defense.  I'm thinking of another private player who had adjustment and trust issues coming from a man-to-man environment to a public zone defense as a corner BUT he picked up and learned that he could also play receiver and he excelled at it.

So good insightful post Slick.

Its a reason why public schools like Wise and HD churn out so many guys. Go be a baller! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

45 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

Just watched Fields tape. Good film! All the intangibles are there and should translate well at the next level because of his size and fearlessness. But to be considered as the best in the state he has to play defense. This is highschool and I didnt see any defensive highlights. Hellams plays both sides of the ball. The younger Hellams learned form the his older brother who didnt play both sides of the ball and the recruiting headache that came with not doing so. The offer sheets of both athletes speaks volume to me. Gotta play 2-3 phases of the game to be considered in the convo as the best overall in the state, IMO

No no no my friend, he's just as good on defense as offense, maybe even better! Much better defensive player than Hellams. Started both ways, had bone crushing hits and had multiple games with multiple INT's. His highlight tape only showed WR highlights because that's where he will play at next level. 

Everyone knew he was going to WVU, pretty much stopped his recruitment. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn something's never change I see the SF groupies are out in full force already. This scrimmage means nothing period both teams are loaded with talent except DM grooms their players up and SF want their players already made . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

No no no my friend, he's just as good on defense as offense, maybe even better! Much better defensive player than Hellams. Started both ways, had bone crushing hits and had multiple games with multiple INT's. His highlight tape only showed WR highlights because that's where he will play at next level. 

Cool, Ill look for it and get back to you after I find it. He must have been telling coaches he wants to play WR at the next level. I know several kids that did that and the offer sheet reflected as such. I tell kids to stay open and let the coaches at the next level decide what/who you are because you might grow out of the position that you think youre good at. And having that film will be vital.

Know a kid right now thats a walk-on QB at a power 5. They asked him to move to TE because his film shows both. Now they want him to put on the weight and lock down the left tackle spot for the next 4 years. Currently 6'5 235... Be an athlete and dont limit yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, GOOCH said:

Damn something's never change I see the SF groupies are out in full force already. This scrimmage means nothing period both teams are loaded with talent except DM grooms their players up and SF want their players already made . 

Stop it! We get it, you hate SFA! By the way, DM has PLENTY of transfers. Best player last year, was a transfer. Best OL this year, Gilman transfer. They have at least 6 transfers I know of this year, from as far away as the State of Washington. Of course, nobody has more transfers than SFA(SJC being a close second), but let's not act like DM only deals with homegrown talent. And they should, why not? 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Stop it! We get it, you hate SFA! By the way, DM has PLENTY of transfers. Best player last year, was a transfer. Best OL this year, Gilman transfer. They have at least 6 transfers I know of this year, from as far away as the State of Washington. Of course, nobody has more transfers than SFA(SJC being a close second), but let's not act like DM only deals with homegrown talent. And they should, why not? 

Beau transferred? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Stop it! We get it, you hate SFA! By the way, DM has PLENTY of transfers. Best player last year, was a transfer. Best OL this year, Gilman transfer. They have at least 6 transfers I know of this year, from as far away as the State of Washington. Of course, nobody has more transfers than SFA(SJC being a close second), but let's not act like DM only deals with homegrown talent. And they should, why not? 

You can't lump DM in with SFA and SJC. They are actively building their program on transfers. DM takes a few in a year based on reputation. I'm not saying either is wrong. It is different though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

Beau transferred? 

Talking about Chase. But you could say that Beau was the best player, he definitely was the most important player. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

You can't lump DM in with SFA and SJC. They are actively building their program on transfers. DM takes a few in a year based on reputation. I'm not saying either is wrong. It is different though. 

No, DM is nothing like SFA and SJC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Talking about Chase. But you could say that Beau was the best player, he definitely was the most important player. 

Talent wise yes. Some may say Minor was the best player on the team. You yourself said that DE Rose was more effective than Young last year. However you want to look at it, Young chose the change to DM for his own reasons. It's not like DM goes out searching for kids. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

Talent wise yes. Some may say Minor was the best player on the team. You yourself said that DE Rose was more effective than Young last year. However you want to look at it, Young chose the change to DM for his own reasons. It's not like DM goes out searching for kids. 

I never said it's wrong, if a kid wants to come, that's on them and their parents. I have no problem with what DeMatha does. I have no problem with what SFA does, except for the fact that I think it hurts regular kids being able to attend the school. That's a major issue for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I never said it's wrong, if a kid wants to come, that's on them and their parents. I have no problem with what DeMatha does. I have no problem with what SFA does, except for the fact that I think it hurts regular kids being able to attend the school. That's a major issue for me. 

Would it be a major issue with you if you knew that the football player taking that seat away from a regular kid was helping to insure the future of the school? Wasn't SFA on life support? Random question. I'll stop there in fear of an impending s-storm.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Silverbullet said:

Would it be a major issue with you if you knew that the football player taking that seat away from a regular kid was helping to insure the future of the school? Wasn't SFA on life support? Random question. I'll stop there in fear of an impending s-storm.

 

Not the school itself, maybe the football program.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jbmad said:

Not the school itself, maybe the football program.  

Fair enough. I was under the impression that the school was being held afloat by the archdiocese. Thought that was the final thread before closing. Thanks for response. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tomslick said:

Cool, Ill look for it and get back to you after I find it. He must have been telling coaches he wants to play WR at the next level. I know several kids that did that and the offer sheet reflected as such. I tell kids to stay open and let the coaches at the next level decide what/who you are because you might grow out of the position that you think youre good at. And having that film will be vital.

Know a kid right now thats a walk-on QB at a power 5. They asked him to move to TE because his film shows both. Now they want him to put on the weight and lock down the left tackle spot for the next 4 years. Currently 6'5 235... Be an athlete and dont limit yourself.

Yeah Tino Ellis talked talked talked about how he was a receiver and would be in college.  I recall his dad and/or uncle telling me that at a passing event when Tino was a 10-grader.  But Tino looks like he has settled in as a DB at Maryland.  Coach Deno of DeMatha told Tino recently that he told Tino some time ago he would be a DB and okay at/with it.  I now suspect Tino wishes he had concentrated and played more DB at DeMatha State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

Yeah Tino Ellis talked talked talked about how he was a receiver and would be in college.  I recall his dad and/or uncle telling me that at a passing event when Tino was a 10-grader.  But Tino looks like he has settled in as a DB at Maryland.  Coach Deno of DeMatha told Tino recently that he told Tino some time ago he would be a DB and okay at/with it.  I now suspect Tino wishes he had concentrated and played more DB at DeMatha State.

You mean Dematha U! Or at least thats what they call it over at UMD...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

You mean Dematha U! Or at least thats what they call it over at UMD...

:D  The real U is what they call Upper Marlboro in PG County where DeMatha is located.....  The U, State Champs...DeM always trying to take what they are not entitled to.  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, city40blast said:

Word is dematha vs sfa is 11am now 😂😂😂 

That's the word I got. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Yeah Tino Ellis talked talked talked about how he was a receiver and would be in college.  I recall his dad and/or uncle telling me that at a passing event when Tino was a 10-grader.  But Tino looks like he has settled in as a DB at Maryland.  Coach Deno of DeMatha told Tino recently that he told Tino some time ago he would be a DB and okay at/with it.  I now suspect Tino wishes he had concentrated and played more DB at DeMatha State.

Tino had the option to play WR or DB. He chose to play DB, because of his childhood DB trainer Azar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, TerpsD said:

Tino had the option to play WR or DB. He chose to play DB, because of his childhood DB trainer Azar. 

Nah TerpD.  MD was set at WR but DB was light with a crop of transfers some from community college, JUCOs moving up, etc.  Tino's best opportunity to see the field was at corner and he took the opportunity or he was going to cheerlead and he didn't jump to the D purely because of a childhood love for Abdul.  Tino wanted to play and one of my former Suitland fellows WR Levern Jacobs says Tino plays the position okay.  Supposedly Jake Funk formerly of Damascus was worked out at corner also.  Tino just played better than others and he even beat out a sophomore corner to start some games I believe.

But this is just The DayWalker's take on the matter....

Edited by DayWalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0