KSweeley

Roger Taney statue removed from Maryland State House grounds overnight

127 posts in this topic

I was in Annapolis last year and visited the State House and absolutely nobody was paying any attention to the Taney statue.  I walked over and looked at it and wondered, half jokingly, how long it might be there.  Dred Scott was one case in Taney's career, albeit a notorious one.  However, he was a Marylander, US Attorney General, Secretary of the Treasury and a SC Chief Justice so having his monument there is appropriate IMO.  That his monuments have been removed in Annapolis and in Baltimore seems to me a shortsighted effort to expunge the man based on one case which is also an expunging of history.  First it's Lee, Jackson and other Confederates.  Then Taney.  Where does it stop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, veritas said:

I was in Annapolis last year and visited the State House and absolutely nobody was paying any attention to the Taney statue.  I walked over and looked at it and wondered, half jokingly, how long it might be there.  Dred Scott was one case in Taney's career, albeit a notorious one.  However, he was a Marylander, US Attorney General, Secretary of the Treasury and a SC Chief Justice so having his monument there is appropriate IMO.  That his monuments have been removed in Annapolis and in Baltimore seems to me a shortsighted effort to expunge the man based on one case which is also an expunging of history.  First it's Lee, Jackson and other Confederates.  Then Taney.  Where does it stop?

MD has produced plenty of historic figures worthy of a statue at the state house. Why does it have to be Taney, who does have Dred Scott on his resume? Why not Thurgood Marshall? or McKeldin?

Removing his statue does noting to change history. I just shows that MD has chosen not to continue to glorify in statue form a person who extended slavery.

Edited by Pickle20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

MD has produced plenty of historic figures worthy of a statue at the state house. Why does it have to be Taney, who does have Dred Scott on his resume? Why not Thurgood Marshall? or McKeldin?

Removing his statue does noting to change history. I just shows that MD has chosen not to continue to glorify in statue form a person who extended slavery.

Marshall has a big airport named after him.

Also has a statue.

http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/stagser/s1259/121/6259/html/0001.html

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

MD has produced plenty of historic figures worthy of a statue at the state house. Why does it have to be Taney, who does have Dred Scott on his resume? Why not Thurgood Marshall? or McKeldin?

Removing his statue does noting to change history. I just shows that MD has chosen not to continue to glorify in statue form a person who extended slavery.

Acknowledging is not glorifying, IMO.  Taney was important and the country in 1857 was not what it is in 2017.  It seems like an effort to put out of sight anything that might make us remember or discover something we don't like.  Washington, Jefferson and Madison had slaves.  Do their monuments come down?  Taney was neither a Confederate nor a slaveholder.  In fact, he freed all the slaves he inherited from his father.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, veritas said:

Acknowledging is not glorifying, IMO.  Taney was important and the country in 1857 was not what it is in 2017.  It seems like an effort to put out of sight anything that might make us remember or discover something we don't like.  Washington, Jefferson and Madison had slaves.  Do their monuments come down?  Taney was neither a Confederate nor a slaveholder.  In fact, he freed all the slaves he inherited from his father.

Taney is low hanging fruit compared to the the three you mention I think they are safe for a while longer.

Also.... a little tidbit some overlook about Taney...........

He inherited slaves from his father but manumitted them and gave pensions to the older ones.[2] He believed that power and liberty were extremely important and if power became too concentrated, then it posed a grave threat to individual liberty. He opposed attempts by the national government to regulate or control matters that would restrict the rights of individuals.

This is an interesting read.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_B._Taney

Further, many seem to forget there were only two no votes on the decision....it seems Taney gets the flack mainly because his name was at the top of the page and the author. So if it weren't Taney there could have been any one of the other 6's.

And further further ....he was a Democrat.:huh:..well sort of. The  quote above seems more Libertarian.

 

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again ,  one generation doesn't have the right to tear down monuments of an earlier generation.

Raise money and build  your own damn monuments .  Leave  those of others alone .  It's real easy .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Duke of Earl said:

Once again ,  one generation doesn't have the right to tear down monuments of an earlier generation.

Raise money and build  your own damn monuments .  Leave  those of others alone .  It's real easy .

I am looking in my crystal ball....whites are the minority... most all references to their heritage have been obliterated. Those of Spanish decent are now the majority....they are appalled and disgusted by the Symbols of Black authority. They are tired of the constant oppression that statues and monuments dedicated to MLK and Tubman and so on represent are defaced and destroyed. Black Power and BLM flags are torn down an burned. And......................................

And the wheel goes round and round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

How about a caption or something?

How about, replacing the concrete .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baltimatt said:

How about a caption or something?

Done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The world is made up of all kinds of colors, race, creed, gender. That is what makes the world around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Guido2 said:

I am looking in my crystal ball....whites are the minority... most all references to their heritage have been obliterated. Those of Spanish decent are now the majority....they are appalled and disgusted by the Symbols of Black authority. They are tired of the constant oppression that statues and monuments dedicated to MLK and Tubman and so on represent are defaced and destroyed. Black Power and BLM flags are torn down an burned. And......................................

And the wheel goes round and round.

 

 

Good analysis of the future  .

We  may  get  like Rhodesia with whites begging for forgiveness or running for their lives before we get to your step. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ODENTON said:

Done

Thanks, but it really doesn't tell me much.

 

Isn't "gently jackhammered" an oxymoron? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, stevez51 said:

How about, replacing the concrete .....

pretty good, I was going to put free concrete but I know some are at a vulnerable stage right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Guido2 said:

I am looking in my crystal ball....whites are the minority... most all references to their heritage have been obliterated. Those of Spanish decent are now the majority....they are appalled and disgusted by the Symbols of Black authority. They are tired of the constant oppression that statues and monuments dedicated to MLK and Tubman and so on represent are defaced and destroyed. Black Power and BLM flags are torn down an burned. And......................................

And the wheel goes round and round.

The problem with your prediction re: the future is that there wouldn't be any basis for Hispanics to be appalled and disgusted by symbols of Black authority, whereas the confederate monuments are celebrations of not just White authority, but of Black oppression, so there is a valid basis for Blacks to be appalled/disgusted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, gillytech said:

The problem with your prediction re: the future is that there wouldn't be any basis for Hispanics to be appalled and disgusted by symbols of Black authority, whereas the confederate monuments are celebrations of not just White authority, but of Black oppression, so there is a valid basis for Blacks to be appalled/disgusted.

While there is some truth in what you say. In my conversations with many Hispanics....well ... they don't like black people too much for the most part....for many reasons, be they real or perceived.

Sound familiar?

Lets see....it took about a hundred or so years for things to ferment for the blacks to the point that the results are  what we are seeing now. So my projected timeline will be just about spot on. :lol:

AX....grinding wheel. It goes round and round.

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am past my limit on free Sun articles but there is one today that is about Governor Hogan stating that as long as he is Governor the state flag will not change. If someone who has access would provide a link I would appreciate it.

 

Good for Governor Hogan for not caving to that whim from the noisy We Hate Everything from the past (unless it doesn't offend our feelings) crowd on the flag. While I no longer live in MD I will always say it is the best state flag in the country!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Woodbuchr said:

I am past my limit on free Sun articles but there is one today that is about Governor Hogan stating that as long as he is Governor the state flag will not change. If someone who has access would provide a link I would appreciate it.

 

Good for Governor Hogan for not caving to that whim from the noisy We Hate Everything from the past (unless it doesn't offend our feelings) crowd on the flag. While I no longer live in MD I will always say it is the best state flag in the country!

https://twitter.com/changemaryland?lang=en

Change Maryland @ChangeMaryland 4h4 hours ago

"You can rest assured that [the Maryland Flag] will never be changed as long as I'm governor." – Gov. @LarryHogan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2017 at 7:59 AM, Baltimatt said:

Thanks, but it really doesn't tell me much.

 

Isn't "gently jackhammered" an oxymoron? ;)

and military intellegence too :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

darn, white supremacy everywhere...this is getting to be a full time job for the SJWs

 

http://www.afro.com/white-supremacy-floats-baltimores-inner-harbor/

White Supremacy Floats in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor

For those who fought, in some cases for years, to have Baltimore’s four monuments to the Confederacy removed from the city, last week’s victory is perhaps incomplete. Another monument to White supremacy, in the minds of many, continues to nevertheless exist in the form of a floating museum currently in the waters of Baltimore’s Inner Harbor.

Statues to Roger B. Taney, the Supreme Court Justice who crafted the Dred Scott Decision in 1857, which at that time affirmed the White supremacist mantra that Black people were inherently subhuman, were removed last week from Baltimore and Annapolis. However, the United States Coast Guard Cutter (USCGC), Roger B. Taney has been quietly floating in the Inner Harbor, nestled in the channel between the Power Plant and the Columbus Center for years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2017 at 5:21 PM, Guido2 said:

I am looking in my crystal ball....whites are the minority... most all references to their heritage have been obliterated. Those of Spanish decent are now the majority....they are appalled and disgusted by the Symbols of Black authority. They are tired of the constant oppression that statues and monuments dedicated to MLK and Tubman and so on represent are defaced and destroyed. Black Power and BLM flags are torn down an burned. And......................................

And the wheel goes round and round.

What oppression did MLK or Harriet Tubman cause?  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Statue removed.  Now have everyone's lives have improved dramatically?  ;)

Edited by Hank Moody

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now