Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GREYHOUND ALUM

SFA-DeMatha Scrimmage!

200 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

What? Show me where I annoited the kid anything? Said that he might be the top ninth grade RECRUIT at LB in the Nation. Recruit, not player! I didn't anoint him this, publications have him as the second best player in his Class in the Nation and top defensive player: http://mygennexxt.com/m/blogpost?id=3984766%3ABlogPost%3A306830

and then I said that JB said he was as good as advertised. 

The SF LT didn't look good at all but he has measurables so he'll be OK . I was really impressed with DM QB and SF backup I think he'll be the starter before the years is out 

2 or 20 practices, I don't think it would have made much difference  for SFA. It's a different mind set  when you are dealing with the DM kids. Those kids fight for reps, even the starters from day one until their last practice.

1 minute ago, TerpsD said:

2 or 20 practices, I don't think it would have made much difference  for SFA. It's a different mind set  when you are dealing with the DM kids. Those kids fight for reps, even the starters from day one until their last practice.

Stop it! It matters right now. Cut it out! 

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, TerpsD said:

This. Mcgregor built a program and culture at DM and Elijah continued it and it will be there when Elijah is gone. I think Malloy did the same think at GC and that culture will continue.  The true test of a program is what happens to it when the head coach moves on.  Houses made of sand collapse, but houses built brick by brick remain standing.  There are some great coaches in the state on the private and public school level, but we will have to wait and see what their true legacy will be.    

DM will have a good shot vs Gorman.  If they beat Gorman, it could be a historic year for them. But that is a big if.   

Edited by aacountyfootball

41 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

Stop it! It matters right now. Cut it out! 

I am speaking of a mindset.

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, TerpsD said:

I am speaking of a mindset.

Still matters right now because one team knows its needs the other found out today. And being its the 3rd scrimmage mindset could be one of several needs the coaches preached.  

Edited by Tomslick

41 minutes ago, aacountyfootball said:

This. Mcgregor built a program and culture at DM and Elijah continued it and it will be there when Elijah is gone. I think Malloy did the same think at GC and that culture will continue.  The true test of a program is what happens to it when the head coach moves on.  Houses made of sand collapse, but houses built brick by brick remain standing.  There are some great coaches in the state on the private and public school level, but we will have to wait and see what their true legacy will be.    

DM will have a good shot vs Gorman.  If they beat Gorman, it could be a historic year for them. But that is a big if.   

Sorry aaC but if the TRUTH is to be told, Mr. Morgan Wootten built the DeMatha sports program and culture into what McGregor and now Brooks carry on but in just another sport.....

By that's just the way The DayWalker sees it.  ;)

6 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Sorry aaC but if the TRUTH is to be told, Mr. Morgan Wootten built the DeMatha sports program and culture into what McGregor and now Brooks carry on but in just another sport.....

Correction, Morgan and Buck.

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, TerpsD said:

Okay.  But folks, many in here like aaC, who now will say McGregor was the be all to end all criticized McGregor for being a poor game day coach.  Right folks????

Edited by DayWalker

46 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

Fair enough.  Wooten coached football too so he can take some credit for that also. 

Don't forget Jerry Franks coached DeMatha for a while before Bill too. Lot of good coaches built that program.

Posted (edited)

Bill McGregor built the DeMatha football program.  He may have been aided, in the beginning, by the quality of athletes that Morgan brought to the school but the football program was his and his alone.  From the NFL's National High School Football Coach of the Year to almost the exact same lifetime winning percentage as Morgan (approximately .880) and countless city championships, Bill McGregor put DeMatha football on the national stage. Should I mention how many kids went to college on athletic scholarships?  USA Today's front page photo of the 15 DM players signing their letters in 1990?  The '98 team that, to this day, may still be the best the Washington area has ever known and was featured on a Cheerios box?  For that matter,  I must also add that there is only one high school in America that has more USA Today top 25 year end finishes and that is De La Salle who Bill almost played one year in an after season game and the state of California would not allow it.  

Respect to Morgan and the years he coached:  I saw several of his teams in the '60's.  Also to Jerry Franks who was the first person to take a DM football team to California in the late '70's-and won.  But Bill McGregor built the DeMatha football program.  DeMatha was in the top 25 in '84 and '86 but it was the second game against Brockton in '90 or '91-which I saw-that DeMatha won which was a clarion call that DM was among America's best in a second sport. (I believe the two biggest national victories that DM has had are Brockton and Miami Central) Countless #1 rankings in the DC area, seven or eight more national top 25 finishes before Bill's retirement:  Bravo Coach McGregor! 

And, bravo to Elijah, too (who I think was a freshman on the '98 team and will have his own opinion about how that team would compare to the one that beat Miami Central and AHP).  Deep, deep respect for both coaches.

Edited by BigDrop

Posted (edited)

From the Washington Post on March 28, 2011:

"Whoever is hired will take over a program accustomed to winning. McGregor’s teams captured 17 Washington Catholic league titles, including six in a row from 2003 to 2008, and finished No. 1 in The Post’s rankings seven times. His career mark of 278-40-3 makes him the fourth-winningest coach in Maryland high school football. McGregor, who won four Catholic league titles in six seasons as the DeMatha baseball coach, also was known for helping more than 350 former players earn college football scholarships".

Elijah has lived up to the above.  He is building his own legacy now.

And, an addendum:  as Morgan also coached football, Bill also coached baseball.

Edited by BigDrop

2 hours ago, TerpsD said:

He has zero clue who Buck is...well, until he googles it.

2 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Okay.  But folks, many in here like aaC, who now will say McGregor was the be all to end all criticized McGregor for being a poor game day coach.  Right folks????

Wrong. You know zilch about what it takes to be a great HC. Game day? You're totally gone, DW.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, aacountyfootball said:

This is pretty spot on. Anyone that played in or is close to the program will tell you the same thing. Forum junkies on the other hand? They have no problem making something up and acting like it's gospel. Oh the internet....

Edited by Silverbullet

3 hours ago, aacountyfootball said:

Outstanding post.  

52 minutes ago, BigDrop said:

Bill McGregor built the DeMatha football program.  He may have been aided, in the beginning, by the quality of athletes that Morgan brought to the school but the football program was his and his alone.  From the NFL's National High School Football Coach of the Year to almost the exact same lifetime winning percentage as Morgan (approximately .880) and countless city championships, Bill McGregor put DeMatha football on the national stage. Should I mention how many kids went to college on athletic scholarships?  USA Today's front page photo of the 15 DM players signing their letters in 1990?  The '98 team that, to this day, may still be the best the Washington area has ever known and was featured on a Cheerios box?  For that matter,  I must also add that there is only one high school in America that has more USA Today top 25 year end finishes and that is De La Salle who Bill almost played one year in an after season game and the state of California would not allow it.  

Respect to Morgan and the years he coached:  I saw several of his teams in the '60's.  Also to Jerry Franks who was the first person to take a DM football team to California in the late '70's-and won.  But Bill McGregor built the DeMatha football program.  DeMatha was in the top 25 in '84 and '86 but it was the second game against Brockton in '90 or '91-which I saw-that DeMatha won which was a clarion call that DM was among America's best in a second sport. (I believe the two biggest national victories that DM has had are Brockton and Miami Central) Countless #1 rankings in the DC area, seven or eight more national top 25 finishes before Bill's retirement:  Bravo Coach McGregor! 

And, bravo to Elijah, too (who I think was a freshman on the '98 team and will have his own opinion about how that team would compare to the one that beat Miami Central and AHP).  Deep, deep respect for both coaches.

That would actually be a very good question for Brooks. Personally, I'm taking the '15 team. I know that's kind of sacrilege. '98 was stacked, but for that day. They weren't rocking with 2/3 Power 5 backs in the backfield and an OL with 4 FBS starters. Football has come a tremendous way since then in this area. It has a lot to do with the influx of great coaching at the youth level. 

9 hours ago, Bully said:

How'd R.Baptist do with Gilman?  Gilman seems to have 6-7 studs but not much depth.  

Surprising that they couldn't run on RB with much consistency.  Their line was huge compared to RB's.  But no push.  QB was not accurate.  The LB's were pretty stout with good size.  DB's were mixed.  Soft in the middle. Corners were pretty good against the run.  But #4 got burned on what looked like a stop and go for about a 70 yard TD.  But he also had a nice pick 6.  RB's QB did a good job avoiding the rush and getting outside, but he wasn't getting much help from WR's.  No time to set or really find a guy open.  QB's were not getting hit - so hard to tell for sure. Booker was perhaps the biggest guy on the field.  Not as tall as I thought he would be.  RB was able to mostly run away from him.  He seemed gassed very early.  RB was in the game on the scoreboard.  But you wouldn't have known it from the body language.  It was hot. The heat really seemed to effect RB more.  Didn't help that it appeared they didn't have a team manager working the water.   The ref actually called them out on it.  Never seen that before.  Both teams will get better - and are better - than what they showed today.  Gilman has more upside.   But they do turn pedestrian fast after the first 6 or 7 guys as noted.  

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, OldBallCoach said:

Don't forget Jerry Franks coached DeMatha for a while before Bill too. Lot of good coaches built that program.

Okay, so now we have Franks, Wootten (aa can't spell), McGregor (he also can't spell), Buck, and Brooks.  Well, we might as well toss in Mr. de Matha.  Anyone else who made DeMatha so great we should acknowledge?  How about Saint John's, Good Counsel, Bishop McNamara, Atchnishop Carroll, and others who rolled over for DeMatha over the decades.  I mean come on, life has not been like a box of chocolates in the WHACK for a long time, now essentially just the DeMatha Invitational!!! 

Edited by DayWalker

4 hours ago, BigDrop said:

:D  All what McGregor did for DeM like you Droop and the DC Sniper yet DeM wouldn't 4-1-1 you all about their scrimmages this year.    Shame, shame, shame....  :huh:

3 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

He has zero clue who Buck is...well, until he googles it.

And what value added in the life of The DayWalker would I glean by having known who was Buck?  Or what great loss to us all we experience by not knowing Buck?  In other words, What The Buck....  :wub:

3 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

Wrong. You know zilch about what it takes to be a great HC. Game day? You're totally gone, DW.

Head coach greatness is certainly not turning out products like you Chevy Chase and BigDroop who can't enter a thread here without mentioning DeM and games against AH and public school Central of Miami....

Poor "game day coach" was not my comment but rather what some in here opined before you started carpetbegging here, right g-Spot!!

I'm Totally Done you say Sniper?  S Please!!!!  The DayWalker is just warming up on your sorry DeM @zz.   :P