Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnpolitics

When do you think Flacco will be "back"?

When do you think Flacco will play for the Ravens again?   15 members have voted

1. 1. When do you think Flacco will be "back" to play for the Ravens again?

• First game against Cinny
    • Games 2-4 of the season
    • After game 4
    • After game 8

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 posts in this topic

Still think Flacco is back for the 1st game.  Nothing on last night's broadcast indicates otherwise.  Not practicing at all is a concern.  He is likely to be rusty.  That's a problem considering week 1 opponent has probably defensed Flacco as well as any team in the past.  Still rather have a rusty Flacco than Mallet.  

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Still think Flacco is back for the 1st game.  Nothing on last night's broadcast indicates otherwise.  Not practicing at all is a concern.  He is likely to be rusty.  That's a problem considering week 1 opponent has probably defensed Flacco as well as any team in the past.  Still rather have a rusty Flacco than Mallet.  

Until he reinjures it with the suspect O Line. I think he'll be back week 1, but I still have a feeling there's something we don't know as far as his injury goes. 

Edited by bmore_ken

11 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Until he reinjures it with the suspect O Line. I think he'll be back week 1, but I still have a feeling there's something we don't know as far as his injury goes. 

If Flacco was Brady, Eli, Ben R. or Aaron Rogers coming back with only 2 weeks of practice wouldn't be a concern. NFL teams are more secretive now than 20 years ago about injuries. 

24 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

If Flacco was Brady, Eli, Ben R. or Aaron Rogers coming back with only 2 weeks of practice wouldn't be a concern. NFL teams are more secretive now than 20 years ago about injuries. 

Oh I know that. That's why they started him last year and told us he was 100% when he clearly was not. 

8 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

Had similar surgery 20+ years ago. 6-9 months to recover, but to fully feel confident on the knee about a year. You see the scare everyday and think about it in some form.

When you break an arm the cast may come off in 6 weeks but you are protective of it for a while. Look how long it takes pitchers to REALLY recover from Tommy John. About 2 years.

Flacco was fully healed and it sounds like you agree with me then. It's the mental part of it that takes even longer which I think we agree on that as well. I believe the only way to get over that mental hurdle is by playing. I don't see any other way to get around that mental hurdle. I think Ken thinks Flacco needed a few more months to heal physically and that's just nonsense.

8 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

Flacco was fully healed and it sounds like you agree with me then. It's the mental part of it that takes even longer which I think we agree on that as well. I believe the only way to get over that mental hurdle is by playing. I don't see any other way to get around that mental hurdle. I think Ken thinks Flacco needed a few more months to heal physically and that's just nonsense.

He may have been fully healed, but I doubt the strength was at 100%, and it's also clear he didn't trust the knee early on.  He also wore a brace for a bit too as I recall.

2 hours ago, alienrace said:

He may have been fully healed, but I doubt the strength was at 100%, and it's also clear he didn't trust the knee early on.  He also wore a brace for a bit too as I recall.

The first sign that all was not well is when the pocket broke down. Instead of stepping forward or side-stepping the initial rush, he usually just went down. IMO it was both physical and psychological. He may have been better, but no one can convince me he was 100%. He also didn't trust himself (that he was completely healed). He seemed timid and stale out there - certainly nothing like he was before the injury.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

The first sign that all was not well is when the pocket broke down. Instead of stepping forward or side-stepping the initial rush, he usually just went down. IMO it was both physical and psychological. He may have been better, but no one can convince me he was 100%. He also didn't trust himself (that he was completely healed). He seemed timid and stale out there - certainly nothing like he was before the injury.

Exactly

Edited by bmore_ken

6 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

And Flacco was NOT at Practice today per Gerry Sandusky. Top ten 2018 Draft pick coming up!

12 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Exactly

Ken, what are you saying? You seem to always have a conspiracy theory or just plain negative. It sounds like you think Flacco should have waited to play a game until he was 100% which I believe he was given the time he had to recover after the surgery. How much time do you believe he would need to recover? 

Personally I think there are some other issues with Flacco.  I do believe the injury affected him last year, even if it was only mentally.  It is hard to have 100% confidence in that knee after an injury like that.  But even before that injury he was regressing into some bad mechanics.  He was throwing off of his back foot entirely too much and it affected his accuracy.  Part of his struggles were clearly because the Ravens have not had a good O-line the last several years.  I don't expect that to change much this year.  I never had Flacco in the top tier of QBs, but he certainly was 2nd level and a QB that a team can win with.  In order for him to be that again, he is going to have to correct the issue with his mechanics first.  If he doesn't, injury or no, he is going to be the same inconsistent thrower he has been the last two seasons.  

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, cprenegade said:

Personally I think there are some other issues with Flacco.  I do believe the injury affected him last year, even if it was only mentally.  It is hard to have 100% confidence in that knee after an injury like that.  

I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I still believe he wasn't 100% physically ready. Whether he actually was or not, we'll never really know. Just like this injury went from a week, to a couple of weeks, to he won't play in the pre season. As johnpolitics said, teams are secretive about injuries. I believe he'll start week 1, I believe they'll tell us he's 100% and ready to go, but I also believe that will be a lie.

Edited by bmore_ken

4 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

Return to throwing? Playing catch? 

Joe Flacco has resumed throwing as his return to practice nears, Coach Harbaugh said.

8:25 AM - 29 Aug 2017

Well the good news is ravenmaniac will have the rusty excuse working for 3 or 4 weeks into the season. :)

5 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Well the good news is ravenmaniac will have the rusty excuse working for 3 or 4 weeks into the season. :)

On WBAL Harbs said the docs have to clear Flacco to play in game 1. 

Preston's take in the Sun

But no one really cares about the playing status of other injured players, such as wide receiver Breshad Perriman and running back Danny Woodhead. The Ravens can win without them, but they can’t win much without Flacco.

With him, they might be able to go .500 or slightly better. Without him, they’d be lucky to win six games, even if they played the Cleveland Browns, Miami Dolphins or New York Jets twice. It’s not that Flacco is great, but he is good enough to win consistently, and backup Ryan Mallett is bad enough to put the Ravens in dire straits.

And that scares me. I thought Flacco would at least be practicing Monday, but then I saw him drifting around The Castle in shorts and with no sense of urgency. He won’t be game-ready for the Bengals. He’ll be in decent physical shape and familiar with the playbook and the game plan for Cincinnati, but he won’t have his ‘A’ game.

Coaches can bring in game and play clocks and pipe in crowd noise, but it’s impossible to duplicate game conditions, such as raw emotion, momentum swings and interactions with coaches on the sidelines under adverse conditions. The speed of the game is faster than at practice, which is one of the reasons preseason games are played. Flacco needs as much practice time as possible to get into a rhythm with his receivers and a cadence with his line.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bs-sp-preston-ravens-flacco-0829-story.html

Jamison HensleyESPN Staff Writer 

Joe Flacco's statement after his first practice (Saturday Sept 2)  since injuring his back: "It feels good to be back out here with the guys and be a part of everything again. Really, it's been a weird situation the last few weeks, because it's just something you have to wait out. You're putting in all the hard work you can, but at the same time, it's a waiting game. You definitely have to fight against not doing anything, but also keep your mind fresh. But for today, it was awesome being back on the field – just like it always is – and to be with my guys. I feel excited about the season we have coming up."

Well glad he is back in week 1. But who knows that all can change. From here til Sunday.

3 minutes ago, JPPT1974 said:

Well glad he is back in week 1. But who knows that all can change. From here til Sunday.

Let's break out the "rusty" excuses for his performance for the first 3 or 4 weeks. 

18 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

Let's break out the "rusty" excuses for his performance for the first 3 or 4 weeks. 

How many more weeks does Flacco need to be 100%?

3 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

How many more weeks does Flacco need to be 100%?

I don't have his medical reports so I like you can only go by what we're told. Unlike you though, I realize Harbaugh's history says he's not completely honest about the situation. We'll just have to agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

I don't have his medical reports so I like you can only go by what we're told. Unlike you though, I realize Harbaugh's history says he's not completely honest about the situation. We'll just have to agree to disagree. 

Teams lie about injuries the way Trump lies about... A LOT OF STUFF.

2 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

It's always a conspiracy with you. You said whatever they said about Flacco would be a lie. What is with all the conspiracy thinking with you? 

20 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

It's always a conspiracy with you. You said whatever they said about Flacco would be a lie. What is with all the conspiracy thinking with you? 

Teams lie about injuries all the time. In 1990 Phil Simms hurt his ankle and the Giants said he would be out a few weeks but ready if the Giants got to the Super Bowl. Simms knew he was done and the Giants redid the offense for Jeff Hostetler and the rest is history.  Troy Aikman had a bad concussion going into a Super Bowl that the Cowboys lied about.  The Ravens would be IDIOTS for telling anyone the truth about Flacco's health. In the pre-1960's gamblers sought this type of info from players.

In 1976 the Bills had a QB Gary Marangi with a bad shoulder and didn't tell the media about it until AFTER the season ended. The guy played awful during the season and the Bills never told anyone the truth.

Trust me if Flacco plays and a Bengel player get a clean shot and can hit Flacco in the legs or back, he will go for the back.

Players hide injuries too. 

55 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

It's not conspiracy thinking to  to know teams lie about injuries and Harbaugh has done that in the past. You must be new to the NFL.