BigDrop

DeMatha vs Bishop Gorman Friday @900PM on ESPN

190 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

Not at all. You're projecting again. You've got the chip on your shoulder. Like I said, if HD Woodson beats St. Ed's in Ohio this year, it would be a huge deal for DC football. I can admit that. If Wise or Franklin went OOS, I'd hope for a win for the area. I know this may seem foreign to you, DW. I get it. You're not from here. You're a transplant. 

Liar Liar....and you say I got a chip on my shoulder.  Nah nah Bro, The DayWalker merely will NOT accept you and yours waltzing in here trying to blow smoke up rumps 'round this joint.  This isn't DCSportsfan.  Go hard or go home C Chase.  Again, if Woodson beat Saint Ed, it would be nice for Woodson.  I seriously doubt Anacostia, Wilson, Ballou, or any of DC school would hold a pep rally over Woodson's win nor would there be a single moment of silent if Woodson got butchered by Saint Ed.  It's all on Woodson dude.  If Wise or Franklin went OOS, the prime directive would be to win for a better posture to still be in the mix and in the position for home field advantage come week 11.  Wise and Franklin are all about weeks 11 thru 14 and not a single OOS or even local game.  It's about the collection of wins and points for the earned privilege to compete for and win states.

You have so so so so so much invested in one opening season game against Gorman.  I suspect you have been preparing for months for this one game while my box of chocolates for a week or two relatively speaking are preparing for 14 games; Just The Way I Like It.  Those darn hoodies....  :D

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, Silverbullet said:

Call it different all you want. Call it fake news for all I care. The truth hurts when it's something that you don't want to hear. The reputation of Maryland high school football is directly on the shoulders of the teams that put it on the line against top competition from around the country. Good Counsel has done it, SFA has done it, Gilman, DeMatha, McDonogh, etc...Just because you personally have a grudge against DeMatha doesn't change that. 

Again you just confirmed it. Its a conversation piece for you and anybody that wants to believe what you just said! No where in any publications that Ive read over the last few years that talks HS football relates it to some HS football reputation based on a few teams. They all talk talent! You cant get away from it. And again I have no issues with DM Im just not gonna let you and the DM faithful blow smoke up folks asses. 

Edited by Tomslick

4 hours ago, aacountyfootball said:

There is a sense of pride when local sports teams do well on any national stage.  For example, I could care less about girl's lacrosse or soccer.  But I am proud that the local area has produced some of the top ranked girls lax and soccer teams. I think most people feel the same way. 

Recruiting is one thing. Quality high school football is another.  Maryland has been a football recruiting hotbed for a long time but maryland has not been known to translate that talent pool to elite high school football.  If a local team does well on the national stage then that helps combat the perception about the quality of maryland hs football.  

These are all common sense points to me. 

County County County, you are digging so so deep trying to rationalize this area pride crap.  The pride you feel is for the team that does well, not the area where the team happens to be local in your neck of the woods.  Quality high school football is NOT defined by one area team.  If that were the case, Gorman would be the pride of Nevada and local legislators would not be trying to halt they way mercenary missionary Bishop Gorman does football business.  Gorman is an elite team but that does not make Nevada elite in high school football; not with most of the better talents BOUGHT in from Texas and California.  Come on aa, come on counselor!!!!  And Maryland would not be considered elite by one of its teams beating Gorman.  Hell, some folks would call in just getting even for when Good Counsel traveled out there and were knocked off....  Just saying counselor.

Your witness....

4 hours ago, aacountyfootball said:

That assumption is why Maryland HS football lags other states.  I coached at msj and we went to Steubenville amd they looked like a damn youth team when they came out of the lockerroom. They kicked our butts when it counted.  They were just a better football team even though we were more talented.  Quality HS football is not about talent or offers. It is about blocking, tackling, sound schemes,  ball security, special teams amd heart.  

Hell aaC, you could have said the same thing when 1A Fort Hill kicked MSJ butt.  Were you coaching MSJ then as well.  If so, maybe we are on to MSJ's issue at that time....  :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, DayWalker said:

Hell aaC, you could have said the same thing when 1A Fort Hill kicked MSJ butt.  Were you coaching MSJ then as well.  If so, maybe we are on to MSJ's issue at that time....  :rolleyes:

I was there.  Similar experience.  They blocked and tackled better.  The football culture was different. Rankings, Stars and offers don't save you on Friday nights.  

15 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

Again you just confirmed it. Its a conversation piece for you and anybody that wants to believe what you just said! No where in any publications that Ive read over the last few years that talks HS football relates it to some HS football reputation based on a few teams. They all talk talent! You cant get away from it. And again I have no issues with DM Im just not gonna let you and the DM faithful blow smoke up folks asses. 

Publications? Do you really need some random person to write an article explaining something so obvious? Look, MD has a couple of schools that play on the national stage. To be honest, they all support each other when doing so. The only people that refuse to accept that are those who have a grudge. Which brings me to my next point...You've literally posted that you have a strong dislike for DeMatha several times. You can't act the way you do towards them on the forums and then say you have no issues. You post monthly about how you can't stand the DM parents and players. Sorry, TS, you can't flip and flop when it's covienent to act cool. 

8 minutes ago, aacountyfootball said:

I was there.  Similar experience.  They blocked and tackled better.  The football culture was different. Rankings, Stars and offers don't save you on Friday nights.  

So it wasn't that Maryland lagged behind that Stuebenville exposed, it was MSJ who were caught short on their "level of play."  Don't make the issue bigger than it was.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Silverbullet said:

Publications? Do you really need some random person to write an article explaining something so obvious? Look, MD has a couple of schools that play on the national stage. To be honest, they all support each other when doing so. The only people that refuse to accept that are those who have a grudge. Which brings me to my next point...You've literally posted that you have a strong dislike for DeMatha several times. You can't act the way you do towards them on the forums and then say you have no issues. You post monthly about how you can't stand the DM parents and players. Sorry, TS, you can't flip and flop when it's covienent to act cool. 

Ive also said I have buddies who kids play on the team. And I would never root against them especially when I talk my friends everyday. What I dont like is guys that talk DM football as if nobody else knows what going on. Or talk as if its the end all of the MD football world if DM loses. Or that MD football all of a sudden jumped onto some radar as a powerhouse because of a DM win. GTFOH... News flash MD has been a powerhouse! Why? Because every school, recruiter in the country says so! 

Edited by Tomslick

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

So it wasn't that Maryland lagged behind that Stuebenville exposed, it was MSJ who were caught short on their "level of play."  Don't make the issue bigger than it was.

Make no mistake about it. Maryland HS football lags.  Recruiting and talent is superior in the state. But the overall level of HS football is way behind. Slim pickings outside of the top 5 teams in Maryland. You can go 30-40 teams deep in football states and still have quality football and those teams often times wont have any D1 players.  

That Bullis team when Haskins was a senior probably had more talent than any team in Ohio. That team would not have been a top 40 team in Ohio.  If your lens is recruiting/offers/rankings/nfl then Maryland does fine. If your lens is high school football then Maryland definitely lags. 

1 hour ago, aacountyfootball said:

Make no mistake about it. Maryland HS football lags.  Recruiting and talent is superior in the state. But the overall level of HS football is way behind. Slim pickings outside of the top 5 teams in Maryland. You can go 30-40 teams deep in football states and still have quality football and those teams often times wont have any D1 players.  

That Bullis team when Haskins was a senior probably had more talent than any team in Ohio. That team would not have been a top 40 team in Ohio.  If your lens is recruiting/offers/rankings/nfl then Maryland does fine. If your lens is high school football then Maryland definitely lags. 

Okay, let's say some "mythical entity" called Maryland HS football does lag ( whomever or everyone ), you think one team from MD in one game played tonight against a team that was the #1 "mythical national champion" LAST YEAR will remove the MD lag tag should the MD team win!!!!!!   Come on fellow.....come on.  You are now sounding dumber than stupid!!

Even more sillier regarding the Bullis team when Haskins was a senior having more talent than any team in Ohio, you must be smoking the pages of your law books counselor.  2015 Bullis if that"s who you are talking about was beaten by a host of teams right here in MD for you to utter such nonsense about them being more talented than any team in Ohio.  Wasn't one of their games a basketball 60-something to 60-something LOSS!  Hell, and the best team Bullis played was perhaps MSJ who kicked Haskins and Bullis' @zz.  Where are you pulling your arguments from aaC, out of Sniper and BigDroop's @zz cause nothing can possibly stink more as your argument here?

Like I've said before, I expect a little better from you but only very little....  As Trump would say, SAD!

6 hours ago, Tomslick said:

Ive also said I have buddies who kids play on the team. And I would never root against them especially when I talk my friends everyday. What I dont like is guys that talk DM football as if nobody else knows what going on. Or talk as if its the end all of the MD football world if DM loses. Or that MD football all of a sudden jumped onto some radar as a powerhouse because of a DM win. GTFOH... News flash MD has been a powerhouse! Why? Because every school, recruiter in the country says so! 

MD is a recruiting hotbed. MD is not a high school football power state. All you're talking about is recruiting and potential. I'm talking about what actually happens on the field. 

4 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Okay, let's say some "mythical entity" called Maryland HS football does lag ( whomever or everyone ), you think one team from MD in one game played tonight against a team that was the #1 "mythical national champion" LAST YEAR will remove the MD lag tag should the MD team win!!!!!!   Come on fellow.....come on.  You are now sounding dumber than stupid!!

Even more sillier regarding the Bullis team when Haskins was a senior having more talent than any team in Ohio, you must be smoking the pages of your law books counselor.  2015 Bullis if that"s who you are talking about was beaten by a host of teams right here in MD for you to utter such nonsense about them being more talented than any team in Ohio.  Wasn't one of their games a basketball 60-something to 60-something LOSS!  Hell, and the best team Bullis played was perhaps MSJ who kicked Haskins and Bullis' @zz.  Where are you pulling your arguments from aaC, out of Sniper and BigDroop's @zz cause nothing can possibly stink more as your argument here?

Like I've said before, I expect a little better from you but only very little....  As Trump would say, SAD!

I think if Dematha wins the national championship this year that it does help the perception that quality of Maryland HS football does not match its talent.  I don't think the Gorman game alone will change that perception much especially since Gorman might not have a great season this year.  But, if Dematha somehow wins the national championship after an impressive five year run and along with the past success of Good Counsel, Gilman and the future success of SFA, then that perception might change a bit.  People outisde of Maryland don't know that Bullis, Wise, etc. cannot step foot outside of the state but the teams that have carried the flag on the national stage have improved the perception.  Again, recruiting is a totally separate issue.  

You are making my point about the Bullis team.  That team is probably the poster child for the perception that Maryland has talent but can't play.  

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, aacountyfootball said:

Just curious where would Bullis rank on the academic side ? If this is what Ohio is doing then I'd like to think "we're built different https://www.facebook.com/sly.johnson.5/posts/10212210638674355

Edited by Rob A.
Add

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Rob A. said:

Just curious where would Bullis rank on the academic side ? If this is what Ohio is doing then I'd like to think "we're built different " 

Pretty low as far as I'm concerned.   I don't believe in academic rankings for high schools. That is where I give public schools an advantage.  I believe my kid would get a better education at Franklin vs Mcdonogh or Bulllis.  Schools that cost $30k per year exclude a lot of valuable perspective and life lessons that are crucial to the high school experience.  

Around here, the high school that you attend is a reflection on your parents not the kid.  I am actually more skeptical of an elite high school grad than a public school grad because I assume the private school kid didnt pull up his own bootstraps. 

I normally would not include catholics schools as elitist but there are many in the area that disappoint me as well.  But there are good Baltimore catholic schools like MSJ, Calvett Hall and Spalding that are inclusive.  

Edited by aacountyfootball

2 hours ago, Silverbullet said:

MD is a recruiting hotbed. MD is not a high school football power state. All you're talking about is recruiting and potential. I'm talking about what actually happens on the field. 

...So DeMatha beating Gorman would erase or help erase some perception you have that everyone else would begin to think differently about MD High School power status OR think differently about DeMatha?????   :confused:

You really think the nation will think differently about MD power status if our best mercenary team play one or two supposed big time games while others play so many more each year routinely.....  Dude, what happens on the field with one team has NO affect on the so called state power status.  Gorman doing it's thing does NOT make nor break Nevada's status.  It's all about Gorman Gorman BG DC as it will be all about DM to night, win or lose, period.

Posted (edited)

44 minutes ago, Rob A. said:

Just curious where would Bullis rank on the academic side ? If this is what Ohio is doing then I'd like to think "we're built different https://www.facebook.com/sly.johnson.5/posts/10212210638674355

Bullis currently has 2 kids playing at Mellon. Its was 3 but one graduated with a 4.0 in one of the engineering fields. If you didnt know Mellon has one of the top engineering programs in the country ranked #5. Two kids on Duke's football roster and several more down there for soccer and basketball. The starting left tackle and a back up kicker are at Wake Forest. Zach is at Dartmouth along with many others playing at the Ivy's. Their top bball girl just left for UPenn a couple days ago. One of their lacrosse guys is at Hopkins. Allmetsports lacrosse (2015 I believe) player of the year is at UNC. Its easy to find out. Just go to their website they post a list of schools there kids are accepted to. Thats how they can get funding for a 25 million dollar S.T.E.M buliding thats about to open. Its based on academic results. But all schools have kids that do great and kids that can do better.

Edited by Tomslick

1 hour ago, aacountyfootball said:

I think if Dematha wins the national championship this year that it does help the perception that quality of Maryland HS football does not match its talent.  I don't think the Gorman game alone will change that perception much especially since Gorman might not have a great season this year.  But, if Dematha somehow wins the national championship after an impressive five year run and along with the past success of Good Counsel, Gilman and the future success of SFA, then that perception might change a bit.  People outisde of Maryland don't know that Bullis, Wise, etc. cannot step foot outside of the state but the teams that have carried the flag on the national stage have improved the perception.  Again, recruiting is a totally separate issue.  

You are making my point about the Bullis team.  That team is probably the poster child for the perception that Maryland has talent but can't play.  

And your thoughts are whacked aaC because as you think a DeM win would be so uplifting, you can't toss aside that a loss the next time out would put "Maryland HS football" back in the tier down heap.  You all talk about MD being such a hot-bed, it is but a second or even third tier hot-bed if the truth is to be told.

And I didn't make your point about the Bullis team.  I was telling you that Bullis was not as great, not even a good team, as your whack thought conceived being better than any Ohio team.  Bullis wasn't better than any MIAA-A team top to bottom aaC.  Where do you get off proclaiming Bullis with Haskins in 2015 was so great and under appreciated!!  Such thoughts affirm why you are so whacko over your DeM....

40 minutes ago, aacountyfootball said:

Pretty low as far as I'm concerned.   I don't believe in academic rankings for high schools. That is where I give public schools an advantage.  I believe my kid would get a better education at Franklin vs Mcdonogh or Bulllis.  Schools that cost $30k per year exclude a lot of valuable perspective and life lessons that are crucial to the high school experience.  

Around here, the high school that you attend is a reflection on your parents not the kid.  I am actually more skeptical of an elite high school grad than a public school grad because I assume the private school kid didnt pull up his own bootstraps. 

I normally would not include catholics schools as elitist but there are many in the area that disappoint me as well.  But there are good Baltimore catholic schools like MSJ, Calvett Hall and Spalding that are inclusive.  

Speak for DM... You cant speak for Bullis or what they do academically. My youngin was at McKinley Tech and one of his friends couldnt get into Tech but got into DM. All he had to do was go to summer school. That kid eventually left DM and had to sit out at another DC public because of his academic profile coming out of DM.  Cut it out!

5 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

Speak for DM... You cant speak for Bullis or what they do academically. My youngin was at McKinley Tech and one of his friends couldnt get into Tech but got into DM. All he had to do was go to summer school. That kid eventually left DM and had to sit out at another DC public because of his academic profile coming out of DM.  Cut it out!

I think you missed my point. 

Just now, aacountyfootball said:

I read the question and your initial response. Please advise!

1 minute ago, aacountyfootball said:

aaC, you have no points in this thread.  You are just flapping in the breeze unhinged trying so hard to defend such a defenseless matter of DeM beating Gorman would raise the tide of MD HS football power.

5 minutes ago, Tomslick said:

I read the question and your initial response. Please advise!

I have two points.  First, acceptance criteria, test scores, college matriculation, etc doesnt speak to how good a school is. How the school develops the kids that they have is more important to me. If a 95th percentile ISEE kid ends up being a 95th percentile SAT kid then that really doesnt tell me crap about what the high school did for him/her.  But, if a 10th percentile ISEE kid ends up being a 50th percentile SAT kid then I might be impressed.  

Second, the reading, writing and mayh that you learn in high school is not very useful. What is most useful in high school is the character and life experience lessons that are learned. I find tha the $30k per year schools severely lack in that regard, which is why I think that many public schools and some of the more inclusive catholic schools provide a far better overall education than the elite schools.  In other words, all else being equal, the public school grad almost always has the anticipated and actual advantage to gain, retain and succeed at meaningful employment.  

1 minute ago, DayWalker said:

aaC, you have no points in this thread.  You are just flapping in the breeze unhinged trying so hard to defend such a defenseless matter of DeM beating Gorman would raise the tide of MD HS football power.

They are so far gone its sickening! Then they try to take shots and act as if no one will respond to this BS they spitting. These dudes are stuck in a tiny little bubble and dont know anything. Bullis best team was when Haskins was a jr not sr. And they still lost to MSJ. That doesnt/hasnt stopped every school in the country from coming in there. Why because those kids prove it at the next level. Bullis hasnt palyed a national nothing game and Cam was still on the freshman All B1G team as a LB. Devonte Williams was on the freshman the All B1G team. That National HS ranking **** or game vs means ****ing nothing outside of a converstion for the teams, fans of those teams and web clicks/visits. And all the smart dudes are falling for it.  

9 hours ago, aacountyfootball said:

If your lens is recruiting/offers/rankings/nfl then Maryland does fine. If your lens is high school football then Maryland definitely lags. 

The lens of the people of this forum might be what happens on the field..........but if you look through the lens of 99% of the kids playing that game on the field its about recruiting/offers/commitments/the next level. For them, they want to move on. The posters of this forum will never move on, they will continue to back their favorite HS team for whatever the reason or their tie to that school is. Public or Private school, the players don't go out on social media and say "got that win against high school A today" or "played tough but came up short in a tough one against high school B". Deep down those players may care about those things but that is not what they choose to share with the world. Public or Private school athletes, what they do share with the world on Social Media is "blessed to receive an offer from University A" "thankful to have received an offer from College B" " would like to say I have committed 100% to University C". This is what these players are striving for, they are striving, training, playing for that opportunity at the next level, to be as great as they can be. High school is just a platform they have to use.......Even though HS is as far as 99% of them will ever go, that is not what the players are focusing on through their lens.

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, araiderfan said:

The lens of the people of this forum might be what happens on the field..........but if you look through the lens of 99% of the kids playing that game on the field its about recruiting/offers/commitments/the next level. For them, they want to move on. The posters of this forum will never move on, they will continue to back their favorite HS team for whatever the reason or their tie to that school is. Public or Private school, the players don't go out on social media and say "got that win against high school A today" or "played tough but came up short in a tough one against high school B". Deep down those players may care about those things but that is not what they choose to share with the world. Public or Private school athletes, what they do share with the world on Social Media is "blessed to receive an offer from University A" "thankful to have received an offer from College B" " would like to say I have committed 100% to University C". This is what these players are striving for, they are striving, training, playing for that opportunity at the next level, to be as great as they can be. High school is just a platform they have to use.......Even though HS is as far as 99% of them will ever go, that is not what the players are focusing on through their lens.

I agree. But where I am from, kids play for their school, neighborhood and community first. Beating your rival is more important than an offer or rivals ranking to many of these kids.   That is the cultural difference and the reason why Ohio, Texas, etc HS football is overall better even though the per capita recruiting statistics may not be.  Nothing wrong with kids having a combine mentality when it comes to HS football, but that comes at a price on friday nights.  That mentality has spilled over into youth football in Maryland and that is what itnis.  Airrade and I coached youth football together and the focus was on great teams, not individuals.  That has drastically changed.  Maryland is known to have great individual talent but not known to have great teams, which it appears everyone debating in this thread agrees with.  

Edited by aacountyfootball