Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RavingManiac

Predictions

107 posts in this topic

Let's go ahead and assume Flacco is ready to play week 1. What do you predict their record will be this year? I know most of you are going to predict 8-8 just like last year because we haven't improved enough but I disagree 100%. I think we have improved tremendously. We very easily could have been 10-6 last year without giving up those 4th qtr leads. I don't think we will be giving up those leads this year. I think we go 11-5 this year. We may even get another offensive lineman before the season starts. I don't think the offense has to do as much as they did last year because of how good the defense is going to be. I think the pattern continues and Marty will get fired and Greg Roman will take over mid season which seems to be par for the course and Roman will be "clueless". That Flacco seems to be a coach killer. 11-5 baby!!

The defense looks to be improved on paper. The offensive line is in worse shape than last year. So, rookie defense + bad o-line = 4-12. :(

Posted (edited)

Rookie defense? Suggs, Carr, Jimmy Smith, Jefferson, Webb, Mosley, Weddle all are veterans. Urban and Judon have been here a couple of years. At least 8 out of the 12 are veterans. That's a nice mix. I think we have significantly improved on defense and the only area we have regressed is offensive line in which I don't think it will cost us to win only half the games we won last season. 

Edited by RavingManiac

6 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

I think we go 11-5 this year.

Wanna bet?

7-9. Hope i am wrong.

Ravens have improved the defense, at the expense of ignoring the offense.  I have no doubt most teams will find the Ravens defense tough to move against.  They have built what looks like a top 5 defense.  But the offense is still very suspect.  In every aspect I see little improvement, and in some cases regression.  Wide receiver will be largely what it was last year.  Maclin could be an adequate replacement for Steve Smith, without the toughness he brought.  Wallace is what he has been.  He can have great games and disappear for parts or all of a game.  Perriman still has to prove himself, and he once again has an injury that has taken him out of preseason practice.  Tight end is very thin.  The two best that the Ravens had are gone for the season, leaving Williams who has not proven himself at all, Boyle who has trouble staying on the field because of steroid like issues, and Watson who is an aging TE trying to recover from a season ending injury.  The running game was average with some potential with Dixon, and it now has to deal with West as their full time back.  West is decent, but hardly a game changer.  The O-line is a mess.  At full strength it was rated bottom third by Pro Football focus and that was before the losses they have suffered.  Flacco has regressed in the past few seasons, partly because he is a QB that needs a little more time to survey the field and find his receiver.  He isn't going to get that this year and if he gets nailed there is a question as to whether his back may get tweaked.  If the Ravens have to rely on Mallet for anything more than a few series, they are done.  Mallet is the same terrible QB he was when he couldn't keep a job in QB starved Houston.  I see a lot of stalled drives for the Ravens this year, a lot of FG's in the red zone, and a defense that will be on the field quite a bit.  The good news is that the schedule is not that tough.  I'll wait to see what the final product looks like, but honestly I see a 9-7 team with a potential to be 10-6, assuming Flacco does not miss significant time.  If the defense suffers any significant injuries that record could drop very quickly.  They will once again be relying on a defense to hold the other team and hope Justin Tucker can kick 5 FG's a game and give them a 1 point win at the end.  

It doesn't matter how well the defense plays; if the offense can't get out of its own way and keeps the defense on the field for long stretches, eventually they're going to crack. 

I see the four AFC division winners as the Steelers, the Pats, the Texans and the Raiders. I can, however, see the Ravens battling for one of the two wildcards. There are just too many ifs on the offensive side to expect much more than the above.

I'm optimistic (not sure why based on the injuries), 9-7.

The defense is signficantly improved, and particularly in the secondary where the majority of problems existed last season.  They have been dominant(and top ranked thus far) in the preseason.  This has a chance to be the best in the NFL this year. 

Offensively, they lost some people, and added some.  Maclin and Woodhead are both upgrades to their positions(yes, Maclin is better than Steve Smith at the tail of his career).  TE is iffy, but I think you're going to see Maxx Williams emerge, big time.  The real concern has to be the line.  It's a mess.  I think they still have to add someone...I guess they're going with Zuttah at C again.  Mr Drive Killer.  Hope he proves me wrong. 

The Steelers appear to be the division favorites, and many feel ready to challenge the Patriots perhaps one last time in the Roethlisberger era.  I don't think the Ravens are quite there yet.  Had they been able to stay healthy on the O-line in TC and preseason, I might have given them a punchers chance, but I just cannot see them being able to keep Flacco off of his back, and keeping the turnovers at a minimum. 

But...this defense...it's going to be good, perhaps great.  That will keep them fighting for a WC down to the wire. I'll go with 10-6.

10-6 if Joe starts week 1 100% healthy

8-8 if Joe starts week 1 not 100% like last year

1 hour ago, mrdeltoid said:

How is the defense "significantly improved?

You said earlier it has improved on paper so I guess I just need to define the word significantly. 

In my opinion, Carr is an improvement over Young. Jefferson is a huge improvement over Webb. Webb is a big improvement over Shareece Wright. I'm thinking Jaylen Hill and Marlon Humphrey are huge improvements over our dime backs from last year. We didn't even play dime last year. This year we can and will play dime. If Jimmy Smith goes down, Carr slides over to number one and Hill or Humphrey or Webb comes in.

Our defensive line is so much better than it was last year that there really is no comparison. 

I guess you can say it's only preseason so you can't really judge how good the defense is until game day. If that's the case then the same goes for Mallett. You can't really judge Mallett until game day.

Posted (edited)

I see the Ravens going anywhere from 4-12-0 to 10-6-0. It depends on how healthy they will be; by the looks of preseason I am not confident that this team can stay healthy. The pragmatist in me sees a high draft pick next year rather than playoff chances (closer to being 4-12-0) this year. The homer in me sees them going deep in the playoffs. This season is more hard to predict because of all the uncertainties. I hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by ncbirdfan

2 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

You said earlier it has improved on paper so I guess I just need to define the word significantly. 

In my opinion, Carr is an improvement over Young. Jefferson is a huge improvement over Webb. Webb is a big improvement over Shareece Wright. I'm thinking Jaylen Hill and Marlon Humphrey are huge improvements over our dime backs from last year. We didn't even play dime last year. This year we can and will play dime. If Jimmy Smith goes down, Carr slides over to number one and Hill or Humphrey or Webb comes in.

Our defensive line is so much better than it was last year that there really is no comparison. 

I guess you can say it's only preseason so you can't really judge how good the defense is until game day. If that's the case then the same goes for Mallett. You can't really judge Mallett until game day.

D-Line is no comparison? I don't see a huge difference.

I see Carr as a down grade from Young

The rookies haven't seen real Reg-game style offenses yet. I do believe they improved their pass rush (on paper), and added much needed depth. So I would say they improved an already good defense. If they could've closed games last year they're in the playoffs. Keep in mind, rookie defenders take a year or two to learn the game. (another reason the Young loss hurts, he was about ready). I don't consider the schedule as it is a fools errand. All in all, I would say we have a top 10 defense.

Offense? Here's why we are a year away from competing.O-Line: LT Good, LG? C-nope RG good when healthy RT ?  RB - average QB- Joe Good with protection, but without protection, not so good. Mallet - Your kidding when you say we don't know till the season right? Look, rookies in the pre-season shows nothing. A 6 year pro? I think we have a pretty good idea what he can do.

So, I hate to say it, but 4-12. Best case 6-10. Sorry.

41 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

D-Line is no comparison? I don't see a huge difference.

I see Carr as a down grade from Young

The rookies haven't seen real Reg-game style offenses yet. I do believe they improved their pass rush (on paper), and added much needed depth. So I would say they improved an already good defense. If they could've closed games last year they're in the playoffs. Keep in mind, rookie defenders take a year or two to learn the game. (another reason the Young loss hurts, he was about ready). I don't consider the schedule as it is a fools errand. All in all, I would say we have a top 10 defense.

Offense? Here's why we are a year away from competing.O-Line: LT Good, LG? C-nope RG good when healthy RT ?  RB - average QB- Joe Good with protection, but without protection, not so good. Mallet - Your kidding when you say we don't know till the season right? Look, rookies in the pre-season shows nothing. A 6 year pro? I think we have a pretty good idea what he can do.

So, I hate to say it, but 4-12. Best case 6-10. Sorry.

Where are all these rookie starters that you are talking about? I don't know of any starters on defense. Two veteran CB. Two veteran safeties. D-line is suggs, Pierce, Williams and Judon. I see Webb as our nickel. There will be rookies playing here and there as well there should be. If no rookies played then there would be something wrong. 

The offensive line blows. We have one area on the entire team that is worse from last year. Howard can't be that much worse than Wagner. He might be a little downgrade. Stanley might be better as you said it takes rookies a year to learn. LG going to suck. Center is the same as last year. RG same. It looks to me that one position on the offensive line is a significant downgrade from last year and one position that is a small downgrade. LT should be an upgrade. Where am I wrong here?

57 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

Where are all these rookie starters that you are talking about? I don't know of any starters on defense. Two veteran CB. Two veteran safeties. D-line is suggs, Pierce, Williams and Judon. I see Webb as our nickel. There will be rookies playing here and there as well there should be. If no rookies played then there would be something wrong. 

The offensive line blows. We have one area on the entire team that is worse from last year. Howard can't be that much worse than Wagner. He might be a little downgrade. Stanley might be better as you said it takes rookies a year to learn. LG going to suck. Center is the same as last year. RG same. It looks to me that one position on the offensive line is a significant downgrade from last year and one position that is a small downgrade. LT should be an upgrade. Where am I wrong here?

I think there is more than one area on the team that is worse from last year, and it is all in the offense.  The O-line is one.  TE is another.  The loss of Pitta and Gilmore makes this area significantly worse from last year.  The running game, simply by the loss of Dixon, is also downgraded from last year.   Imo, WR is about even.  Maclin is a good trade off for Smith, but he is aging and was injury prone last year.  QB is obviously the same, unless Flacco goes down in which case the Ravens go from a little above average at that position to one of the worst in the league.  The offense, imo, is clearly not as good as it was last year, and it wasn't very good last year.  The defense looks improved on paper, and it probably will have to be.  I think the Ravens offensively will be in the bottom third of the league in just about every offensive category except FG categories.  

5 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

No where. Nobody's wrong, It's all opinion. I disagree on the D-line being no comparison to last year. You yourself said it's basically the same personnel. And the way our pass rush sucked, you better hope the rookies play, and catch on quick. Otherwise, like I said, theres no right or wrong , just opinions . Relax RM. This isn't the last year for football in B-more.;)

5 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

7-9

Wanna bet?

(J/K. I'll never bet you again. You da MAN coach. You da man.)

1 minute ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Wanna bet?

(J/K. I'll never bet you again. You da MAN coach. You da man.)

Brandon Carr will be the whipping boy on this board 

2 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

No where. Nobody's wrong, It's all opinion. I disagree on the D-line being no comparison to last year. You yourself said it's basically the same personnel. And the way our pass rush sucked, you better hope the rookies play, and catch on quick. Otherwise, like I said, theres no right or wrong , just opinions . Relax RM. This isn't the last year for football in B-more.;)

I'm good. Ken always thinks I get so upset as well. I don't know what makes people always think I get so worked up. I don't call you guys names or anything. I just like to explain in detail what I think. 

I think where we become a lot different on the defensive line is the vast improvement from Urban and Pierce and Judon. They all look like beasts out there this year. We will see.

6 hours ago, cprenegade said:

I think there is more than one area on the team that is worse from last year, and it is all in the offense.  The O-line is one.  TE is another.  The loss of Pitta and Gilmore makes this area significantly worse from last year.  The running game, simply by the loss of Dixon, is also downgraded from last year.   Imo, WR is about even.  Maclin is a good trade off for Smith, but he is aging and was injury prone last year.  QB is obviously the same, unless Flacco goes down in which case the Ravens go from a little above average at that position to one of the worst in the league.  The offense, imo, is clearly not as good as it was last year, and it wasn't very good last year.  The defense looks improved on paper, and it probably will have to be.  I think the Ravens offensively will be in the bottom third of the league in just about every offensive category except FG categories.  

Online and perhaps TE. The loss of Dixon isn't that big of a deal. He is average but I'm not even sure he would start over west plus we have woodhead to replace him and should be a great help to Flacco on passing downs. We may be improved in WR too. I kept reading how great Perriman looked in camp. If he becomes a legit number 1, which we should be able to tell this year, then we will be sitting pretty nice at WR. Cue the negativity about Perriman.......now

18 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

Online and perhaps TE. The loss of Dixon isn't that big of a deal. He is average but I'm not even sure he would start over west plus we have woodhead to replace him and should be a great help to Flacco on passing downs. We may be improved in WR too. I kept reading how great Perriman looked in camp. If he becomes a legit number 1, which we should be able to tell this year, then we will be sitting pretty nice at WR. Cue the negativity about Perriman.......now

I'm on a wait and see with Perriman.  I wouldn't discount him becoming a legit number 1, the potential is there.  If he is, this is the year for him to step up.  He's had 2 years in the system and 1 on the field.  If he is going to be that #1, now is the time for him to do so.  But as I said, until he shows it, I have to remain a little skeptical.  I disagree with you on Dixon.  I think his loss is a huge blow to the possible resurgence of the Raven's running game.  It's not that I think Dixon is a top 3 or even top 5 back, it's that he possesses skills that West does not have.  West is strictly a downhill, North/South type of runner.  Dixon brings more elusiveness to the table.  Plus I have doubts about his durability over the course of the season.  He tends to wear down as the number of carries accumulates.  That is partly why the Ravens began to feature Dixon in the second half of last season.  Woodhead is primarily a third down, passing down back.  Like Maclin, he is older and had an injury plagued 2016 season.  It's already been reported that he is battling a hamstring injury.  That is why I think the loss of Dixon was huge.  Without a running game to balance the offense, other teams can key more on Flacco and the passing game.  We've seen the results when that happens and they aren't very good.  That's why I tend to think the Raven's offense is going to be bottom third of the league offense.  

4 hours ago, cprenegade said:

I'm on a wait and see with Perriman.  I wouldn't discount him becoming a legit number 1, the potential is there.  If he is, this is the year for him to step up.  He's had 2 years in the system and 1 on the field.  If he is going to be that #1, now is the time for him to do so.  But as I said, until he shows it, I have to remain a little skeptical.  I disagree with you on Dixon.  I think his loss is a huge blow to the possible resurgence of the Raven's running game.  It's not that I think Dixon is a top 3 or even top 5 back, it's that he possesses skills that West does not have.  West is strictly a downhill, North/South type of runner.  Dixon brings more elusiveness to the table.  Plus I have doubts about his durability over the course of the season.  He tends to wear down as the number of carries accumulates.  That is partly why the Ravens began to feature Dixon in the second half of last season.  Woodhead is primarily a third down, passing down back.  Like Maclin, he is older and had an injury plagued 2016 season.  It's already been reported that he is battling a hamstring injury.  That is why I think the loss of Dixon was huge.  Without a running game to balance the offense, other teams can key more on Flacco and the passing game.  We've seen the results when that happens and they aren't very good.  That's why I tend to think the Raven's offense is going to be bottom third of the league offense.  

Perriman could go either way but the way they were talking about him in camp makes me at least lean towards him having a breakout season. We are on the same page there. Dixon is where we disagree. I think maybe our definition of huge is where we differ. Dixon averaged 4.3 yards per carry. West averaged 4.0. I wouldn't call that a huge loss. If West starts to wear down then, maybe they can do what they did last year. West can split carries with Buck Allen or the rookie Mizzel if he makes the team. Even if Allen averaged 3.5 ypc, is that a huge loss? He may even average 4.5 ypc and then the loss would be negligible. 

Speaking of offensive line. They looked pretty decent tonight.