Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RavingManiac

Predictions

107 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Any way you slice it...it's just not looking good. I think what will compound the O-line situation is that it's a league-wide problem. Heck, look at the Cowboys. Last year they were among the best when it came to their O-line. They lost 2 players, and now they're struggling. The Ravens basically have ONE solid O-lineman in Yanda. THAT'S IT. How in the world is that going to be fixed any time soon?

Dallas is paying the price by succeeding in the draft, free agency and a little bit of luck last year. You tend to loose good players when you win. It amazes me time and time again teams succeed on offense behind a great line, and the league STILL poo poo's the importance of the o-line. If I was building an offense, besides the QB is O-line. I would take hard working but average players at the skill positions if I had to as long as I had pro-bowl talent at LT and 2 other line position. My next money man would be RB. If you look at KC's o-line when Shields was in his prime they succeeded with "pretty good" receivers. Even Grbek threw for over 4000 yards and went to the pro=bowl, and the next year, he was on the Ravens sideline crying.

1 minute ago, mrdeltoid said:

Dallas is paying the price by succeeding in the draft, free agency and a little bit of luck last year. You tend to loose good players when you win. It amazes me time and time again teams succeed on offense behind a great line, and the league STILL poo poo's the importance of the o-line. If I was building an offense, besides the QB is O-line. I would take hard working but average players at the skill positions if I had to as long as I had pro-bowl talent at LT and 2 other line position. My next money man would be RB. If you look at KC's o-line when Shields was in his prime they succeeded with "pretty good" receivers. Even Grbek threw for over 4000 yards and went to the pro=bowl, and the next year, he was on the Ravens sideline crying.

Good plan coach. You know your stuff.

(And, according to Boab, one of the two Dallas linemen retired; he didn't go on to greener pastures.)

On 8/24/2017 at 2:37 PM, RavingManiac said:

Let's go ahead and assume Flacco is ready to play week 1. What do you predict their record will be this year? I know most of you are going to predict 8-8 just like last year because we haven't improved enough but I disagree 100%. I think we have improved tremendously. We very easily could have been 10-6 last year without giving up those 4th qtr leads. I don't think we will be giving up those leads this year. I think we go 11-5 this year. We may even get another offensive lineman before the season starts. I don't think the offense has to do as much as they did last year because of how good the defense is going to be. I think the pattern continues and Marty will get fired and Greg Roman will take over mid season which seems to be par for the course and Roman will be "clueless". That Flacco seems to be a coach killer. 11-5 baby!!

11-5, baby? OK. They're 3-3 now. That means...they'd need to go 8-2 the rest of the way to finish 11-5. Sure. That could happen.

;)

(Actually...it could happen. In fact, they might be able to beat every team except the Steelers @ Ketchup Kastle, and finish 12-4 now that Rodgers is most likely out for the season. Maybe lose to the Bengals and finish 11-5. I don't see a team up there that they're not capable of beating. And if they get hot at the right time, and get back Woodhead, the truth is anything is possible with this league and this team. We see it every week. I don't THINK it WILL happen, but it could.)

5 hours ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

11-5, baby? OK. They're 3-3 now. That means...they'd need to go 8-2 the rest of the way to finish 11-5. Sure. That could happen.

;)

(Actually...it could happen. In fact, they might be able to beat every team except the Steelers @ Ketchup Kastle, and finish 12-4 now that Rodgers is most likely out for the season. Maybe lose to the Bengals and finish 11-5. I don't see a team up there that they're not capable of beating. And if they get hot at the right time, and get back Woodhead, the truth is anything is possible with this league and this team. We see it every week. I don't THINK it WILL happen, but it could.)

Going 8-2 the rest of the way would require consistency, something they don't have.  Realistically, they're an 8-8 or 7-9 team but hey, that might get them a wild card the way this league is playing. 

1 hour ago, jamesdean said:

Going 8-2 the rest of the way would require consistency, something they don't have.  Realistically, they're an 8-8 or 7-9 team but hey, that might get them a wild card the way this league is playing. 

It would take more than just consistency to go 8-2, but it's not completely outside the realm of possibility. Looking at the upcoming schedule there really isn't a team they can't beat. It's weird and frustrating at the same time.

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

It would take more than just consistency to go 8-2, but it's not completely outside the realm of possibility. Looking at the upcoming schedule there really isn't a team they can't beat. It's weird and frustrating at the same time.

And conversely, there isn't a team that can't beat them.  I'll go with the Yin and Yang and say they'll finish 8-8, which is where their talent level is. 

18 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

And conversely, there isn't a team that can't beat them.  I'll go with the Yin and Yang and say they'll finish 8-8, which is where their talent level is. 

That's the bottom line I keep coming up with.

1 hour ago, jamesdean said:

If Yin and Yang are WRs and on waivers, I wish the Ravens would grab them ;-)  

1 hour ago, ChippewaJoe said:

If Yin and Yang are WRs and on waivers, I wish the Ravens would grab them ;-)  

Hell Joe, you could run down the field, have it bounce off your chest into the arms of the defender and fall to the ground.  And make damn good money!  B)

My problem would be running down the field.  I would have no problem falling to the ground, but that would make my chest a difficult target to hit...........

Thanks, you've been a great crowd.  Don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses!

Speaking of running down the field........the long attempt to Perriman early in the game.  The replay shows the DB slightly getting in his way.  There's no head fake, juke, one step to alter course and route.  Nothing.  He looked so timid on the play.  And that's just one.  If I was a glutton for punishment, I'd love to see press box view tapes of the WR routes, just to see how bad they generally are.  And this is one week after they changed schemes, formations, put men in motion, and looked like a pro offense for a change.

Edited by ChippewaJoe

13 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

Hell Joe, you could run down the field, have it bounce off your chest into the arms of the defender and fall to the ground.  And make damn good money!  B)

Better yet, be the WR who was in or at the end zone and just fell down. That's easy enough to do.

1 minute ago, ChippewaJoe said:

My problem would be running down the field.  I would have no problem falling to the ground, but that would make my chest would be a difficult target to hit...........

Thanks, you've been a great crowd.  Don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses!

Speaking of running down the field........the long attempt to Perriman early in the game.  The replay shows the DB slightly getting in his way.  There's no head fake, juke, one step to alter course and route.  Nothing.  He looked so timid on the play.  And that's just one.  If I was a glutton for punishment, I'd love to see press box view tapes of the WR routes, just to see how bad they generally are.  And this is one week after they changed schemes, formations, put men in motion, and looked like a pro offense for a change.

Yeah. That Perriman pattern looked to me as if he slowed up, wasn't sure where to run, was intimidated by the DB -- all of the above.

1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

Better yet, be the WR who was in or at the end zone and just fell down. That's easy enough to do.

:D Right!  I forgot about that one.  That's even easier to do! 

1 minute ago, jamesdean said:

I've said in another thread that I believe the over/under for this team is now 5 wins and I don't see them beating too many teams from this point out. The offense has been horrible with one exception: Ronnie Stanley. He has dominated the past three games from his position. I think if Yanda were still in the mix the Ravens would have a chance. But with him gone, it's a top 10 pick for the Ravens next draft.

2 minutes ago, jamesdean said:

And all joking aside...do you know what's almost impossible to wrap my head around? The fact that despite EVERYTHING that went wrong -- and a LOT of stuff went wrong -- from dropped passes to the porous run D to the lousy coaching to the odd ref calls to Joe running 5 yards past the LOS and still throwing the ball -- despite ALL of that -- the Ravens STILL were THIS CLOSE to winning the game! It's insane, when you really stop to think about it.

And all joking aside...do you know what's almost impossible to wrap my head around? The fact that despite EVERYTHING that went wrong -- and a LOT of stuff went wrong -- from dropped passes to the porous run D to the lousy coaching to the odd ref calls to Joe running 5 yards past the LOS and still throwing the ball -- despite ALL of that -- the Ravens STILL were THIS CLOSE to winning the game! It's insane, when you really stop to think about it.

Two special teams TDs will do that. Without those it wouldn't even be close.

Just now, ncbirdfan said:

I've said in another thread that I believe the over/under for this team is now 5 wins and I don't see them beating too many teams from this point out. The offense has been horrible with one exception: Ronnie Stanley. He has dominated the past three games from his position. I think if Yanda were still in the mix the Ravens would have a chance. But with him gone, it's a top 10 pick for the Ravens next draft.

Now THIS is ironic. I'm going to have to disagree with one of the board's biggest optimists. Go back and look at the schedule. There is not a team on that list that the Ravens can't beat. I'd say 6 is realistic, although they could easily lose as well. For some reason I've never been as optimistic since the start of the season as I am right now. Something about the schedule last night just jumped out at me and I was shocked at how easy it looks.

Just now, ncbirdfan said:

Two special teams TDs will do that. Without those it wouldn't even be close.

But look at the flip side. Those two ridiculous interceptions balanced out the two STs TDs. And other teams have, you know, dynamic STs every game. Not the Ravens. But other teams do. So it's not that much of an anomaly. It's just an anomaly for the Ravens. And again...like with ref calls...those things tend to balance out over the course of a game or a season. We're just so used to crappy return results that we forget that's the third wing of this bird. Offense. Defense. And STs (aside from just Tucker.)

Just now, OriginalColtsFan said:

Now THIS is ironic. I'm going to have to disagree with one of the board's biggest optimists. Go back and look at the schedule. There is not a team on that list that the Ravens can't beat. I'd say 6 is realistic, although they could easily lose as well. For some reason I've never been as optimistic since the start of the season as I am right now. Something about the schedule last night just jumped out at me and I was shocked at how easy it looks.

I really hope you are right and I am wrong because I am just not seeing it. Chicago was a game the Ravens should have won. In fact, it seemed like they were trying to give it away. On that 2-point conversion it was like they gave up. And I think coaching and game management will play a role as well. Yes, I am usually optimistic, but I am also realistic and things have to drastically change before I'm on that bandwagon.

But look at the flip side. Those two ridiculous interceptions balanced out the two STs TDs. And other teams have, you know, dynamic STs every game. Not the Ravens. But other teams do. So it's not that much of an anomaly. It's just an anomaly for the Ravens. And again...like with ref calls...those things tend to balance out over the course of a game or a season. We're just so used to crappy return results that we forget that's the third wing of this bird. Offense. Defense. And STs (aside from just Tucker.)

Two ST touchdowns in one game is an anomaly. I loved the Rainey TD. That was a smart - heads up play. I hope he gets some touches at running back as well next week. He's earned it IMO.

6 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

I really hope you are right and I am wrong because I am just not seeing it. Chicago was a game the Ravens should have won. In fact, it seemed like they were trying to give it away. On that 2-point conversion it was like they gave up. And I think coaching and game management will play a role as well. Yes, I am usually optimistic, but I am also realistic and things have to drastically change before I'm on that bandwagon.

I consider myself to be a realist. Reading that Woodhead might return when he's eligible is a source for optimism. And you know at some point Brendon Williams will return and plug up the middle. To me a big loss yesterday was not having Maclin. They need to realize that Watson's strength is in the middle, finding the soft spots in the zone. He doesn't have the speed to take a short little pass in the flat and run and run and run. They need to use Collins more in key situations. And they need to work Rainey into the mix as well. But there are some parts there, and the rest of the league is trash. If there's one thing I've seen it's that Harbaugh, post-Super Bowl, is around a .500 coach. And that might just be good enough this year to get the Ravens into the post-season, where anything is possible. And it's not like with the O's where you have to win an entire series. You just have to win one game at a time. And I STILL think the Ravens play the Pats harder than anyone else. So we'll see.

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

4 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

Two ST touchdowns in one game is an anomaly. I loved the Rainey TD. That was a smart - heads up play. I hope he gets some touches at running back as well next week. He's earned it IMO.

And so is getting 1 pick six and another almost pick six off of rebounds.

8 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

I just found this on twitter:

Nathan JahnkeVerified account @PFF_NateJahnke 18h18 hours ago

BAL LT Ronnie Stanley over the last 3 games 122 pass blocks 0 sacks allowed 0 hits allowed 2 hurries allowed 98.8 pass blocking efficiency

Well that's good news. (And I KNOW Mr. Deltoid is going to disagree but I firmly believe that getting rid of Juan Castillo was the best move the Ravens made with regard to the O-line.)

1 hour ago, ncbirdfan said:

Logically, I agree with you. But you never know.  Who would have thought they'd go into Oakland after two humiliating losses and kick their butts?  Certainly not me. Common sense says the Vikings should win by 10 at home on Sunday but it wouldn't surprise me if the Ravens pull one out on the road.  There's so many Jekyll and Hyde teams in this league that you never know what's going to happen.  Miami beating Atlanta on their home turf?  Really?  Giants beating Denver in Mile High? Beyond absurd.  So, while I do believe the Ravens have nothing more than 8-8 talent, there's tons of team in the same boat.  They wanted parity and man, they sure have it.