Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ms maggie

Harvey devastating SE Texas

156 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ms maggie said:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/27/us/harvey-landfall/index.html

Hard to believe the worst is yet to come. Days of more rain. Can't imagine.

My friend's Houston home is situated in a way that it hasn't been impacted by flooding.  (She explained it to me but I can't recall the explanation.) This is what my friend's husband (in Houston) told her on Friday. "If our place floods this weekend, Houston is in big trouble."  It did. And they are. :( 

1 hour ago, ms maggie said:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/27/us/harvey-landfall/index.html

Hard to believe the worst is yet to come. Days of more rain. Can't imagine.

Seems many people in Houston didn't prepare for the worst. Thought it was just going to be a little rain. Didn't bother stocking up on supplies. Yes, the worse is yet to come as the rain continues for days and the rain north of Houston will make it's way back down to Houston. Over 6 million people in the Houston area. FEMA is there but getting into the many flooded areas will be slow going. I'm just waiting for the finger pointing to start. 

Just now, Sprightly said:

My friend's Houston home is situated in a way that it hasn't been impacted by flooding.  (She explained it to me but I can't recall the explanation.) This is what my friend's husband (in Houston) told her on Friday. "If our place floods this weekend, Houston is in big trouble."  It did. And they are. :( 

And the worse is still yet to come. God help Houston who will take the brunt of the flooding. 

Here's Houston, Texas'-area news station KHOU 11 livestream: 

People who stayed behind were instructed to write their ssn on their arm for easier identification.

KHOU 11: People who need rescuing, call 911, be explicit you need rescuing, U.S. Coast Guard can be contacted by calling: 281-464 -4851

3 minutes ago, naive said:

People who stayed behind were instructed to write their ssn on their arm for easier identification.

I heard that was the Rockport mayor who instructed the citizens to do that when it became clear the eye was heading there and evacuation became mandatory. I don't think folks in Houston were instructed to do that though. It's estimated 40% stayed behind in Rockport.

Pray chant send positive thoughts... whatever it is you do. Do it. Houston's gonna need it. 

1 minute ago, KSweeley said:

KHOU 11: People who need rescuing, call 911, be explicit you need rescuing, U.S. Coast Guard can be contacted by calling: 281-464 -4851

Coast Guard has only 5 small helicopters in the Houston area. I'm sure more will be deployed from other units to assist. 

10 minutes ago, naive said:

Good plan if the worst happens. Bad plan to stay.

KHOU 11 reporter reported on the KHOU livestream that the entire KHOU 11 building is being fully evacuated due to it being flooded.

Normally tropical storms and hurricanes come and go. This system is stalled. What a nightmare. 

3 hours ago, Sprightly said:

We have friends on the west end of Houston. He said they've had 23 or so inches of rain with most of it falling yesterday. His rain gauge only holds 6" and he was not sure how much fell over night, only to say the rain gauge was full this am. His house is high enough so he is in good shape with no plans of leaving for a few days.

1 hour ago, mlatoman said:

Normally tropical storms and hurricanes come and go. This system is stalled. What a nightmare. 

Typically storms enter northward, skirt the coast, or crash into mountain ranges of the east coast. Heading west into a humid Texas where systems from the west can help stall it?

Ugh.

3 hours ago, Sprightly said:

My thoughts and hopefully God's hand is with them.

34 minutes ago, naive said:

We have friends on the west end of Houston. He said they've had 23 or so inches of rain with most of it falling yesterday. His rain gauge only holds 6" and he was not sure how much fell over night, only to say the rain gauge was full this am. His house is high enough so he is in good shape with no plans of leaving for a few days.

Leaving may be challenging at this point.

My friends are in Pearland. Apparently, there is a tornado warning.

31 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

Typically storms enter northward, skirt the coast, or crash into mountain ranges of the east coast. Heading west into a humid Texas where systems from the west can help stall it?

Ugh.

My wife and I were discussing this sort of thing yesterday. Maybe it is me but I seem to recall that hurricanes came in (regardless of where) hit land an started  to peter out. Now... it seems they hit land....and just stall and hang with no real reduction of power.

As I said this is just a feeling....thoughts?

Can't imagine being a victim to the storm of the century.

As they say, turn around and don't drown Harvey victims.

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

Amen!

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

That and how much will get them a cup of coffee these days?

21 minutes ago, Calamari said:

That and how much will get them a cup of coffee these days?

Why do you feel the need to slam people's belief?