Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Baltimore officials investigating why engine turned away from fire

8 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-fire-investigation-20170828-story.html#nt=oft12aH-1li3 

Baltimore fire officials said Monday they were investigating why an engine on the scene of a house fire was turned away — after audio of firefighters being pulled from the scene circulated on the internet.

According to audio of communications posted on YouTube under the name Mack Flickerson, Engine 31 from Waverly responded to a house fire at 7:17 p.m. on Friday.

…The incident involved “reports of a fire on a second floor kids’ bedroom” with “smoke showing on the second floor,” according to the audio.

Engine 31 happened to be near the scene of the fire, in the 1600 block of Chilton Street in Northeast Baltimore’s Coldstream Homestead Montebello neighborhood, and attempted to help, according to the audio.

“I can see this box,” the officer in charge on the engine says. “I’m going to have a plug in front of the building. Assign me to this fire.”

A dispatcher responds, “Engine 31, that’s a negative.”

…We are looking into this,” she said, adding why the engine was turned away “is currently under investigation."

She did not respond to questions about whether there were injuries during the incident, what damage was done, and how long it took for another engine to arrive.

Sounds like another settlement by the city is on the horizon.

Posted (edited)

Copies should be sent to the BC goooooberment. Couldn't read the entire article since I cancelled my 'Eclipse' paper subscription.

Edited by Guido2

Just another example of bureaucratic straitjacket trumping common sense.

The hammer should fall on the battalion who told the crew to go away. He had a crew on the

spot but felt so bound up by the bureaucratic rules that he wouldn't use them. It's just his good

luck that no one was killed or injured, or his would have been in a sling.

23 hours ago, retired said:

Just another example of bureaucratic straitjacket trumping common sense.

The hammer should fall on the battalion who told the crew to go away. He had a crew on the

spot but felt so bound up by the bureaucratic rules that he wouldn't use them. It's just his good

luck that no one was killed or injured, or his would have been in a sling.

Retired,

I ABSOLUTELY, 100% INTENSELY agree with you! The ranking Officer on the scene should have noticed A FIRE and handled it accordingly.

That being said, there is no doubt in my retired BPD mind that this Officer would have been fired for not obeying the rules set forth by the City!

It is tragic, but that is the way that the City operates on a daily basis!

22 hours ago, Lawman 27 said:

Retired,

I ABSOLUTELY, 100% INTENSELY agree with you! The ranking Officer on the scene should have noticed A FIRE and handled it accordingly.

That being said, there is no doubt in my retired BPD mind that this Officer would have been fired for not obeying the rules set forth by the City!

It is tragic, but that is the way that the City operates on a daily basis!

I read this article concerning the Captain of the Engine company. I find it rather odd that he got suspended for speaking the truth. Had he made the decision to turn around without being "ordered" to do, do you think he would have been met with the same discipline? 

20 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

I read this article concerning the Captain of the Engine company. I find it rather odd that he got suspended for speaking the truth. Had he made the decision to turn around without being "ordered" to do, do you think he would have been met with the same discipline? 

Really? That bs about 'the truth will set you free' doesn't wash today.

Bureaucracy wins -- honest fire captain loses.  Where's The Sun's outrage at this miscarriage of discipline?

1 hour ago, retired said:

Bureaucracy wins -- honest fire captain loses.  Where's The Sun's outrage at this miscarriage of discipline?

I cancelled my Sun subscription. Like I said ....I can't even wrap fish in it ....they jump off the pages.