Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoyinMudville

Could this be a teachable moment for Trump?

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

By all accounts, Trump is fully engaged in the natural disaster unfolding in Texas. While it is unfortunate that he seems to be sending out tweets of himself in response meetings hawking Trump campaign merchandise, the reality is that we need this president, any president to succeed and get the basics of governing right.

Consider this...

Trump, who has routinely lambasted career civil servants has proposed harsh cuts to the very programs and agencies that are now deploying to help deal with Harvey.

• $667 million from FEMA targeting grants that help state and local governments prepare for natural disasters and other emergencies like terrorist attacks. The budget would also require 25% cost matching for preparedness grants. Modeled on FEMA's existing disaster recovery grants, the provision is designed to ensure state and local governments pick up part of the tab when the federal government doles out money. 
  • $62 million from the National Weather Service, or about 6% of its 2017 budget. The proposed cuts include $5 million the agency plans to spend updating its weather models and another $5 million on experimental forecasts aimed at allowing it to predict changing weather 30 days in the future instead of the current 16 days.
  • $190 million for the National Flood Insurance Program to update maps detailing which areas of the U.S. are flood prone, which can affect flood insurance premiums and real estate development in coastal areas.
  • http://time.com/money/4918458/trump-budget-targest-disaster-response/
  •  

There are other cuts in Trump's proposed budget that, if enacted, would hamper a federal response to a future natural disaster.

Is it possible, that after spending some time interacting and watching the highly trained, experienced, and competent professionals at FEMA, NOAA, the Coast Guard, and other agencies grapple with this immense tragedy that Trump will gain a new-found appreciation for the people in his government?

I'm dubious, but it's an interesting question.

Edited by JoyinMudville

I seriously doubt it. He and the Repubs in Congress (let's not forget those bastards) are hell-bent on repealing anything the black President enacted. I mean maybe seeing a majority white people in this terrible situation may get them off their butts temporarily, however, they will go back to their same antics afterwards.

Hope springs eternal.

My guess is Trump will try to grab credit for the efforts of all these good people.

No comment.

"President Trump on Monday said he announced his pardon of former Maricopa County, Ariz., Sheriff Joe Arpaio as Hurricane Harvey made landfall in Texas because he “assumed the ratings would be far higher.”

“In the middle of a hurricane, even though it was a Friday evening, I assumed the ratings would be far higher than they would be normally,” Trump said during a press conference with Finnish President Sauli Niinistö. “You know, the hurricane was just starting.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/348327-trump-i-pardoned-arpaio-during-hurricane-because-i-thought-tv-ratings

This assumes trump is actually teachable.  We all know that ship sailed a very long time ago

1 hour ago, EgyptKang said:

I seriously doubt it. He and the Repubs in Congress (let's not forget those bastards) are hell-bent on repealing anything the black President enacted. I mean maybe seeing a majority white people in this terrible situation may get them off their butts temporarily, however, they will go back to their same antics afterwards.

So no one on this thread so far would care to comment on this post .......

Posted (edited)

Just 10 days before Hurricane Harvey descended upon Texas on Friday, wreaking havoc and submerging hundreds of miles of land under water, President Donald Trump signed an executive order revoking a set of regulations that would have made federally-funded infrastructure less vulnerable to flooding.

The Obama-era rules, which had not yet gone into effect, would have required the federal government to take into account the risk of flooding and sea-level rise as a result of climate change when constructing new infrastructure and rebuilding after disasters.

"We will rebuild things that should not be rebuilt and ... in ways that are less safe and secure than they should be," Eli Lehrer, president of the DC free-market think tank R Street Institute, told Business Insider.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-reversed-regulations-to-protect-infrastructure-against-flooding-just-days-before-hurricane-harvey/ar-AAqRKYZ?li=BBnb4R7

donald teachable? No further comment.

Edited by ODENTON

7 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Oh I don't think the GOP in general, but Trump is fixated on Obama, and undoing anything Obama related. Everything is personal with this buffoon.

9 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Why don't you show us the way?

1 minute ago, FatBoy said:

Why don't you show us the way?

Peter Frampton right ..???

What about teachable moments for "wra tchet"GOP senators who played politics with funding for Hurricane Sandy recovery efforts? They now find themselves in the same boat. Pun intended... :)

2 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Oh I don't think the GOP in general, but Trump is fixated on Obama, and undoing anything Obama related. Everything is personal with this buffoon.

He's envious. Envious of Obama's success and popularity.

4 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

He's envious. Envious of Obama's success and popularity.

...and hand size 😜

30 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Another trick by the Republicans. They, instead of refuting what you say, try to discredit the messenger when the messenger is telling the truth.

Trump will be impeached before the end of the year & removed from office. He may even be charged with a crime and spend so time in jail.

6 minutes ago, tooldtocare said:

Trump will be impeached before the end of the year & removed from office. He may even be charged with a crime and spend so time in jail.

You forget that it is a Republican Congress. 

If he leaves office this year he will more than likely resign with an excuse that it is for health reasons. The Republican controlled Congress will allow him to save face. 

3 hours ago, stevez51 said:

Peter Frampton right ..???

So you complain about no one responding to a post, and then when asked to do so yourself this is the ridiculous retort you chime in with? :rolleyes: