ODENTON

The founder of white supremacist website Stormfront said he can't bring it back online

86 posts in this topic

White supremacist website Stormfront.org is struggling to get back online.

Its founder, Ku Klux Klan chief Don Black, has complained that not only is the website down after domain registrar Network Solutions yanked the domain, he's unable to transfer Stormfront.org to another provider himself.

A domain search on Stormfront.org shows that the domain is "on hold," a status normally assigned to sites involved in legal disputes, non-payment, or when they're about to be deleted.

Stormfront is a forum-style site first registered online, according to Black, in January 1995. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, Stormfront was the first major white supremacist website, and its members have been disproportionately responsible for mass killings.

http://www.businessinsider.com/stormfront-founder-don-black-cant-transfer-domain-2017-8

rough times

No surprise that a righty just can't get it up.

some of donalds 'very fine people'......seems it's just fox news for him now.

Well the majority of his members are on this board anyway.

53 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

Well the majority of his members are on this board anyway.

Really?  Do you have some numbers for us?

57 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Oh good Lord Matt... really? :rolleyes:

48 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Oh good Lord Matt... really? :rolleyes:

Really, what?  

3 hours ago, ODENTON said:

White supremacist website Stormfront.org is struggling to get back online.

Its founder, Ku Klux Klan chief Don Black, has complained that not only is the website down after domain registrar Network Solutions yanked the domain, he's unable to transfer Stormfront.org to another provider himself.

A domain search on Stormfront.org shows that the domain is "on hold," a status normally assigned to sites involved in legal disputes, non-payment, or when they're about to be deleted.

Stormfront is a forum-style site first registered online, according to Black, in January 1995. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, Stormfront was the first major white supremacist website, and its members have been disproportionately responsible for mass killings.

http://www.businessinsider.com/stormfront-founder-don-black-cant-transfer-domain-2017-8

rough times

I object to this. It is unjust that they cannot get access like everybody else. It is dangerous to suppress their speech. They cannot be contradicted and exposed for what they are if they cannot be heard. And they have as much right as anyone else to be heard.

14 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Really, what?  

you have to ask?

10 minutes ago, hst2 said:

I object to this. It is unjust that they cannot get access like everybody else. It is dangerous to suppress their speech. They cannot be contradicted and exposed for what they are if they cannot be heard. And they have as much right as anyone else to be heard.

It is thought provoking. Does freedom of speech include access to the internet? I doubt it. 

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

It is thought provoking. Does freedom of speech include access to the internet? I doubt it. 

My guess is it's about liability.  Now that these roaches have gotten some publicity, no ISP or domain register wants to be sued for spreading hate speech, inciting people to riot etc.  Just a hunch. 

Edited by ms maggie

2 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

Why would you take up for it? You're not going to score any moderating points from anybody who matters.

Just now, ms maggie said:

My guess is it's about liability.  Now that these roaches have gotten some publicity, no ISP or domain register wants to be sued for spreading hate speech, exciting people to riot etc.  Just a hunch. 

That, and it's a competitive marketplace. Capitalism may just hurt the business of the hosting company that seeks to take them on. 

5 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

It seems similar to the bakers' issue. Does a company have the right to suspend service to someone based on ideological or moral objections.

My guess is it's about liability.  Now that these roaches have gotten some publicity, no ISP or domain register wants to be sued for spreading hate speech, exciting people to riot etc.  Just a hunch. 

I'm sure that's the motivation of the providers. And you can't blame them for that. Hst2 doesn't want them banned. I get his logic. I just don't see any protection for them in the constitution. There may be other 'equal access' laws I don't know about.   

33 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Dang

6 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

I'm sure that's the motivation of the providers. And you can't blame them for that. Hst2 doesn't want them banned. I get his logic. I just don't see any protection for them in the constitution. There may be other 'equal access' laws I don't know about.   

Wouldn't that open up a lot of doors? Can electricity companies choose not to power the building running a web server that spews hate?

5 minutes ago, Rael said:

It seems similar to the bakers' issue. Does a company have the right to suspend service to someone based on ideological or moral objections.

1 minute ago, Rael said:

Wouldn't that open up a lot of doors? Can electricity companies choose not to power the building running a web server that spews hate?

Is 'hate speech' protected? I think that would be the argument. 

Just now, FatBoy said:

Is 'hate speech' protected? I think that would be the argument. 

Define hate speech. If I am against affirmative action does that make me a racist? 

Slippery slopes when we start constricting the first amendment. 

19 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

Why would you take up for it? You're not going to score any moderating points from anybody who matters.

Huh?

1 minute ago, Rael said:

Define hate speech. If I am against affirmative action does that make me a racist? 

I'm not going to argue about this. I don't care if those radicals are on the internet or not. 

If you want the ISPs to be forced to host them, I respect your opinion. But, it's only an opinion. The courts may end up having to decide. 

1 minute ago, FatBoy said:

I'm not going to argue about this. I don't care if those radicals are on the internet or not. 

If you want the ISPs to be forced to host them, I respect your opinion. But, it's only an opinion. The courts may end up having to decide. 

I don't think I have ever had an "argument" with you. I thought it was a discussion. I agree the courts will probably have to get involved. As you said it was thought provoking. Does a company have a right to refuse service to anyone for any reason? Obviously not, as things like race and nationality are protected. If ideas are not a protected class, who decides which ideas are protected and which are ok to discriminate against? In this instance, the morality of the issue is quite easy. Will it be for the next slightly incrementally less objectionable belief? Who gets to draw the line?

18 minutes ago, Rael said:

It's not a first amendment issue.  The govt isn't restricting these people, which is all the first amendment addresses.

It's equal access, equal protection under the law I would guess. 

Just now, Rael said:

I don't think I have ever had an "argument" with you. I thought it was a discussion. I agree the courts will probably have to get involved. As you said it was thought provoking. Does a company have a right to refuse service to anyone for any reason? Obviously not, as things like race and nationality are protected. If ideas are not a protected class, who decides which ideas are protected and which are ok to discriminate against? In this instance, the morality of the issue is quite easy. Will it be for the next slightly incrementally less objectionable belief? Who gets to draw the line?

FWIW, I did not agree with the bakery decision. The gay couple getting married had lots of other options.

But that doesn't mean I would agree the KKK should not have access to the internet.  

I'll leave it to the constitutional scholars.

It's not a first amendment issue.  The govt isn't restricting these people, which is all the first amendment addresses.

It's equal access, equal protection under the law I would guess. 

Fair enough. Basically the same argument as with the baker and the gay weddings.