com6063

You Can’t Be Both Pro-Choice and Anti-Racist

106 posts in this topic

Slavery lasted because slaves were convenient. Abortion remains because babies aren’t.

It is a well-known fact that slavery lasted as long as it did because the Southern economy was deeply reliant upon its free labor. While some slave owners may have appreciated the idea of freeing their slaves, there was little motivation for them to do so, both because slavery was legal, but also because freeing slaves was very expensive. The cost included not just adding wages for labor, but losing the initial investment of the slave purchase. It was just simply too convenient for slave owners to continue the infernal practice. 

While it is easy to point fingers at those who owned slaves, few connect the dots between it and the modern-day parallel of abortion. In the ruling of Roe v. Wade (1973), much like the Dred Scot v. Sanford (1857) decision more than a century before, the Supreme Court confirmed that people can be reduced to property. 

More sound logic. Abortion, racism and slavery are all morally unacceptable.

Just now, ms maggie said:

Sure I can. 

This might just be one of the most ridiculous topics I've ever seen around here

What if you're from one of the 190ish other countries in the world and don't care about Dred Scott or Roe? What happens then?

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

What if you're from one of the 190ish other countries in the world and don't care about Dred Scott or Roe? What happens then?

The Catholic Church is pretty big. They probably have envoys in other countries to dream up different crazy narratives. 

20 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Agreed!

Because I'm part Italian I cannot have a last name with an odd number of letters.

Hey, it seems like a similar comparison to me...

45 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Did you read it?

Just now, com6063 said:

Did you read it?

Yeah I read it and it's patently ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Yeah I read it and it's patently ridiculous.

If you can't refute it then it's true. Sorry but the truth hurts.

The Catholic Church has no business talking about morals.  However, they are entitled to their opinion...which is no more right or wrong than mine.

14 minutes ago, com6063 said:

That is absolutely ridiculous logic and if you can't see that then there really isn't much left to discuss

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, com6063 said:

So there are ghosts and UFO's and aliens living among us? Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster are real? 

Cool.

Or to hit more closely to home, there is no God? Refute that please.

Edited by Rael

4 hours ago, com6063 said:

A church that is responsible for shelling out billions because of the sexual offenses committed by its clergy and how they enabled the offenders and protected them cannot speak from a moral high ground and expect to be taken seriously.

More sound logic:  Racism, slavery and pedophilia are all morally unacceptable. 

Posted (edited)

The biggest problem with this argument is that slavery was an institution. The laws enabled it to flourish. Abortions occur whether it is legal or not. The author suggests that abortion allows women to be virtual sex slaves because unwanted pregnancies, an occupational hazard, can be terminated.  But prostitution existed long before legal abortions came along. And the right to control their bodies has liberated far more women than it has ever enslaved.

Like so many so-called pro-lie arguments, it tends to treat women as though they were children, unable to act for themselves.

Edited by hst2

Yes, Teh Church is a fine arbiter of social justice.  :rolleyes:

Only in an imaginary betaverse would this author's writing make any sense at all.

What is it with the manic need to identify and vilify 'sinners'?

Many of us don't want your judgement, or your gods', or your parish's or your priests.  Such verbal garbage as this piece is the inevitable result.

The Catholic Church even sanctioned what it considered "just" slavery and even after the Civil War. 

5 hours ago, banner1124 said:

Religion rots the mind and destroys logic.  I view it as a handicap.  If not a disorder. 

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, com6063 said:
Slavery lasted because slaves were convenient. Abortion remains because babies aren’t.

It is a well-known fact that slavery lasted as long as it did because the Southern economy was deeply reliant upon its free labor. While some slave owners may have appreciated the idea of freeing their slaves, there was little motivation for them to do so, both because slavery was legal, but also because freeing slaves was very expensive. The cost included not just adding wages for labor, but losing the initial investment of the slave purchase. It was just simply too convenient for slave owners to continue the infernal practice. 

While it is easy to point fingers at those who owned slaves, few connect the dots between it and the modern-day parallel of abortion. In the ruling of Roe v. Wade (1973), much like the Dred Scot v. Sanford (1857) decision more than a century before, the Supreme Court confirmed that people can be reduced to property. 

Using that line of reasoning, one could read the article linked below and say that Catholics are pro-torture.  

"Some hospitals refuse to treat women for abortion-related illnesses like profuse bleeding because, as one health official put it, "they look at these women as sinners." In a few instances, according to women's groups, doctors have performed postabortion dilation and curettage without anesthesia as a punishment for these women."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/16/world/asia/philippines-abortion-crisis.html?mcubz=3

Edited by EGoldstein

While I can accept the conclusion, I'm having trouble with what you describe as sound ( or even existent) logic.

10 hours ago, Rael said:

So there are ghosts and UFO's and aliens living among us? Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster are real? 

Cool.

Or to hit more closely to home, there is no God? Refute that please.

Of course there is a God. I thought atheists said you can't prove a negative? Expected better from you, actually.

6 hours ago, demopublican said:

Religion rots the mind and destroys logic.  I view it as a handicap.  If not a disorder. 

Tell that to your wife? I'm sure you are a joy at dinner chats.