demopublican

Houston Mosques Step Up

34 posts in this topic

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-08-29/after-harvey-hundreds-find-refuge-houston-area-mosques

Khan says that those seeking help have been "overwhelmed with the love and care they're receiving" from volunteers — some of whom have been displaced themselves. And he says, he too, has been personally touched by volunteers' efforts.

When he suggested that some volunteers take a break from relief efforts to sleep, they told him, "we can't sleep until these people are in their homes," Khan explains, breaking into tears. 

“I've seen story after story where people are just putting out their hearts in these difficult days,” Khan says, his voice cracking. “It's amazing how much capacity human beings have to help and to love.”

Listen to the full interview with M.J. Khan on today's episode of The World.

Some of the coverage is really humbling. White rescuers helping Hispanic folks who are stranded. Black folks rescuing white folks. 

Kinda makes you hopeful. Politics are so small compared to the basic human instincts in these terrible circumstances: help each other.

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Some of the coverage is really humbling. White rescuers helping Hispanic folks who are stranded. Black folks rescuing white folks. 

Kinda makes you hopeful. Politics are so small compared to the basic human instincts in these terrible circumstances: help each other.

You should listen to Mr Kahn get emotional talking about how the community came together and all of the stories that he was hearing.  I almost had to pull over when it came on the radio this morning.

Indecently this is my favorite charity.  I was in Biloxi right after Katrina going door to door with food/ice and a nurse.  The smell of rot and death still heavy in the air.  This time I just wrote them a check. 

https://www.hands.org/

Edited by demopublican

14 hours ago, ms maggie said:

That just tells you that's how normal folks operate every day in their normal lives.

You see a woman struggling to get something in the trunk of her vehicle outside of Loews, most of us actually help her regardless to her color.

We don't treat people as to what is happening in politics or some whacked out fringe group. We treat them as we wish to be treated and we should think of it as the norm not something special.

But if it takes some acts of kindness during a huge catastrophe to give one hope while ignoring most do this every day then whatever works. 

26 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Most people are innately and instinctively good. 

Most are. It normally doesn't make for good news stories, though. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, jonsensback said:

That just tells you that's how normal folks operate every day in their normal lives.

You see a woman struggling to get something in the trunk of her vehicle outside of Loews, most of us actually help her regardless to her color.

We don't treat people as to what is happening in politics or some whacked out fringe group. We treat them as we wish to be treated and we should think of it as the norm not something special.

But if it takes some acts of kindness during a huge catastrophe to give one hope while ignoring most do this every day then whatever works. 

Thanks for the lecture. Pretty sure that wouldn't be considered an act of kindness. 

I do love irony.

Edited by ms maggie

There is hope. Time after time, when great hardship befalls many in this great country, we demonstrate compassion for our fellow man. This gives me hope, to see the human condition , without the stain of politics separating us. It can be emotionally overwhelming , in a good way. I wish we were always this way.

2 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

There is hope. Time after time, when great hardship befalls many in this great country, we demonstrate compassion for our fellow man. This gives me hope, to see the human condition , without the stain of politics separating us. It can be emotionally overwhelming , in a good way. I wish we were always this way.

Well said.

17 hours ago, ms maggie said:

It's not all pretty.

Hurricane Harvey Rescuers Report Looters Shooting at Boats.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/laurettabrown/2017/08/29/hurricane-harvey-rescuers-report-looters-shooting-at-boats-n2374654

ABC reporter called a snitch for reporting Harvey looters

http://news2read.com/us/ABC-reporter-called-a-snitch-for-reporting-Harvey-looters/1214776

8 minutes ago, naive said:

It's not all pretty.

Hurricane Harvey Rescuers Report Looters Shooting at Boats.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/laurettabrown/2017/08/29/hurricane-harvey-rescuers-report-looters-shooting-at-boats-n2374654

ABC reporter called a snitch for reporting Harvey looters

http://news2read.com/us/ABC-reporter-called-a-snitch-for-reporting-Harvey-looters/1214776

I don't think anyone claimed it was all pretty.  The point is that this kind of stuff is the exception rather than the rule... but no one would know that based on news coverage most of the time.

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

I don't think anyone claimed it was all pretty.  The point is that this kind of stuff is the exception rather than the rule... but no one would know that based on news coverage most of the time.

I agree. It even tugged at the heartstrings of Best Buy, and they have apologized for their employees selling water for 43 bucks a case.

http://amp.fox25boston.com/news/trending-now/best-buy-apologizes-after-photo-of-43-water-cases-during-hurricane-harvey-goes-viral/600344275

Edited by naive

We're gonna send you guys up North some of this rain and wind in a few days... we'll keep most of it... 

Tornado warnings all over Jones County and South Mississippi this afternoon... school kids in safe zones most of the day... little damage so far near Hattiesburg, MS... 

19 hours ago, Calamari said:

Really putting Joel Osteen to shame.

Indeed

Hilarious that people are using this tragedy to take pot shots at Joel Osteen. Normally I don't like Televangelist pastors but he has always seemed all right to me. Keep in mind his church was flooded, that's why his church didn't take people in.

8 minutes ago, Dystopia said:

Hilarious that people are using this tragedy to take pot shots at Joel Osteen. Normally I don't like Televangelist pastors but he has always seemed all right to me. Keep in mind his church was flooded, that's why his church didn't take people in.

No it wasn't flooded.

1 minute ago, ms maggie said:

No it wasn't flooded.

I thought I heard that it had but couldn't find a link substantiating that. So I take it back. 

11 minutes ago, Dystopia said:

No it wasn't flooded.  He said he didn't take people in because there was a bigger shelter just 4 or 5 miles from the church.

1 minute ago, Dystopia said:

I thought I heard that it had but couldn't find a link substantiating that. So I take it back. 

Heard the same but turned out a hoax

Just now, ms maggie said:

Heard the same but turned out a hoax

Darn fake news! LOL

17 hours ago, naive said:

I agree. It even tugged at the heartstrings of Best Buy, and they have apologized for their employees selling water for 43 bucks a case.

http://amp.fox25boston.com/news/trending-now/best-buy-apologizes-after-photo-of-43-water-cases-during-hurricane-harvey-goes-viral/600344275

Turns out that's their everyday price for a single bottle translated incorrectly into bulk.

"This was a big mistake on the part of a few employees at one store on Friday. As a company, we are focused on helping, not hurting affected people. We're sorry and it won't happen again. Not as an excuse but as an explanation, we don't typically sell cases of water. The mistake was made when employees priced a case of water using the single-bottle price for each bottle in the case."

13 minutes ago, Struds said:

Turns out that's their everyday price for a single bottle translated incorrectly into bulk.

"This was a big mistake on the part of a few employees at one store on Friday. As a company, we are focused on helping, not hurting affected people. We're sorry and it won't happen again. Not as an excuse but as an explanation, we don't typically sell cases of water. The mistake was made when employees priced a case of water using the single-bottle price for each bottle in the case."

Thank you. It gets tiresome constantly correcting instant news.