Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baltimatt

Jury Duty

15 posts in this topic

Around the time I moved (end of May) I got a jury duty notice from the Circuit Court for  Baltimore City informing me of my jury duty scheduled for August.  I filled out the form and sent a copy of my New Jersey Driver License noting that I had moved out of state.

So today I get a letter telling me I missed me court date and could be subject to a fine of $1,000 and/or imprisonment of 60 days, mailed to my New Jersey address.  I called and the lady was nice but wanted me to mail or fax a copy of my license again.

Does anyone every actually get fined or imprisoned for not showing up?  Assuming the numbers are sequential, at least a hundred or more never show up when I had it.

Not too sure, but I think you'd have to be a real scofflaw before they'd do anything. 

Had to go for the Feds at the Mitchell courthouse where they tell you that you're "On Call" for a whole Month this summer but only had to go in one day and lucked out not being picked for some medical malpractice suit. City will prob summons me again next year now. Getting pretty tired of it after all these years going downtown pretty much like clockwork all these years. Problem is that several places pretty close to the courthouse where I used to go eat were Closed the last time I went down there. Closest thing left is the Subway, I'm not walking all over Creation down there to eat. That and what they "Pay" you for the day you have to hand right over to a Parking place. Friend of mine in Balto County sez they have their own free parking out in Towson. Why the City can't give you a Voucher Plus the daily fee I can't understand. Cheap you-know-whats!

7 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

Does anyone every actually get fined or imprisoned for not showing up?  Assuming the numbers are sequential, at least a hundred or more never show up when I had it.

2 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

Not too sure, but I think you'd have to be a real scofflaw before they'd do anything. 

When I was living in the city I actually missed three dates before I finally showed up for the 4th with no issues.

5 hours ago, Bartman said:

Had to go for the Feds at the Mitchell courthouse where they tell you that you're "On Call" for a whole Month this summer but only had to go in one day and lucked out not being picked for some medical malpractice suit. City will prob summons me again next year now. Getting pretty tired of it after all these years going downtown pretty much like clockwork all these years. Problem is that several places pretty close to the courthouse where I used to go eat were Closed the last time I went down there. Closest thing left is the Subway, I'm not walking all over Creation down there to eat. That and what they "Pay" you for the day you have to hand right over to a Parking place. Friend of mine in Balto County sez they have their own free parking out in Towson. Why the City can't give you a Voucher Plus the daily fee I can't understand. Cheap you-know-whats!

Why would you go to the Mitchell Courthouse for the feds?

Why not take the bus downtown?

18 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

Around the time I moved (end of May) I got a jury duty notice from the Circuit Court for  Baltimore City informing me of my jury duty scheduled for August.  I filled out the form and sent a copy of my New Jersey Driver License noting that I had moved out of state.

So today I get a letter telling me I missed me court date and could be subject to a fine of $1,000 and/or imprisonment of 60 days, mailed to my New Jersey address.  I called and the lady was nice but wanted me to mail or fax a copy of my license again.

:o  I believe this is the first time I've ever typed: SMH!

9 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

Why would you go to the Mitchell Courthouse for the feds?

Why not take the bus downtown?

OOPS! Just that name came to mind at first, it's the Garmatz Bldg down by the Civic Center. Parked right underneath across the street. And Yeah, for the Feds they tell you on the Summons you're "On Call" for a Month and may wind up on a High Profile case. Bus? I haven't ridden a Bus since I got out of High School and got my 1st car. Wait! Yeah I rode the Deuce double decker bus in LV and the Monorail my 1st couple trips out there but since then I Always rent a car. I ain't riding no Busses anymore.

On 9/1/2017 at 10:11 AM, Struds said:

:o  I believe this is the first time I've ever typed: SMH!

Guess someone in that office couldn't put 2 and 2 together .....

On 8/31/2017 at 3:23 PM, Baltimatt said:

That's less time than a felon caught with a gun would get!   Kidding!

I, for one, would never ask for a jury trial.....do you really want your fate decided by 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty? ;)

5 hours ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

I, for one, would never ask for a jury trial.....do you really want your fate decided by 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty? ;)

I was Excused from sitting on one Criminal case once. Was asked to approach the Bench when I stood to signal I didn't think I could make a Fair decision. When the Judge asked me Why I said "Well just Look at him!" (The Perp) Boy did that Judge get Furious with me! I just said that was my Immediate Perception and I couldn't get around that so he told me to get out and go back to the Jury Room.

I'm scheduled for jury duty starting October 1st but we close on our house we're buying in Delaware on Sept. 28th. Not sure how to handle that one yet.

B)

After going to the Fed courthouse once this summer and being on call for the whole month this summer I thought I was Done for this year, but I just got the Summons for the City on of all dates, the Friday before Xmas! Hopefully they won't have much going on then and when I call they won't get to my number. I'm Sick of this Crap after all these years, why don't they cut it off at 65 instead of 70? I go down there and I'm the very picture of a Grumpy Old Man. You don't want me on Any Jury, I'll send Anyone straight to Hell just out of my own disposition!

1 hour ago, Bartman said:

After going to the Fed courthouse once this summer and being on call for the whole month this summer I thought I was Done for this year, but I just got the Summons for the City on of all dates, the Friday before Xmas! Hopefully they won't have much going on then and when I call they won't get to my number. I'm Sick of this Crap after all these years, why don't they cut it off at 65 instead of 70? I go down there and I'm the very picture of a Grumpy Old Man. You don't want me on Any Jury, I'll send Anyone straight to Hell just out of my own disposition!

I've never not had my number called.