Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
85Knight

Game Thread 8-31-17, This offense is absolutely incredible

29 posts in this topic

This is getting more interesting by the day. The O's offense is making their pitching secondary. If they go on a month long tear like this the skies the limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course Hellickson cant hold the nice lead the offense spotted him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this team had just marginally better starting pitching this season they'd likely be in a battle for first place.  To be clear 'marginally better' would still be bad, just not awful as they've been 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Offense is incredible but Big Dan's  pitching isn't Major League caliber. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eight runs and a loss. And Big Dan and Peter Angelos continue to do nothing. Shocking!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why anybody would trade for Hellickson is beyond me.  He is another crap arm along with UJ, and Miley.  Keep stockpiling mediocre pitching and you will keep being a mediocre team which is exactly what the Orioles are.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Why anybody would trade for Hellickson is beyond me.  He is another crap arm along with UJ, and Miley.  Keep stockpiling mediocre pitching and you will keep being a mediocre team which is exactly what the Orioles are.    

I disagree. He's had some poor starts recently (and an overall bad season comparing his other seasons) but he has a career of being a decent pitcher. He'll be no Cy Young candidate but to compare him to Jimenez is just wrong. Up until this year his ERA was under 4. Yesterday's game was torture on Hellickson but it was also torture on the bullpen as well. Morales was a one-man wrecking crew for the Blue Jays. He was responsible for 8 of the 11 runs the Blue Jays scored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Typical 2017 Orioles.  Sweep Boston and Seattle who are both in the playoff picture, then give up 11 runs to one of the worst offensive teams in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

I disagree. He's had some poor starts recently (and an overall bad season comparing his other seasons) but he has a career of being a decent pitcher. He'll be no Cy Young candidate but to compare him to Jimenez is just wrong. Up until this year his ERA was under 4. Yesterday's game was torture on Hellickson but it was also torture on the bullpen as well. Morales was a one-man wrecking crew for the Blue Jays. He was responsible for 8 of the 11 runs the Blue Jays scored.

His first three years he looked like he would develop into a #1 or #2, after that not so much.   2013-5.17, 2014-4.52, 2015-4.62, 2016-3.71, 2017-5.15 (6.55 w/Baltimore).   That's the definition of mediocre, imo.  By comparison, UJ was 4.81 in 2014 and 4.11 in 2015, now 6.85 in 2017.  I don't see a ton of difference considering Hellickson pitched 2015, 2016 and part of 2017 in the NL where era's are slightly lower because there is no DH.   If the Orioles want to keep being a team around .500, then he was a good fit.  If they want to ascend to a more competitive level they need to bring in starters who can pitch into the 6th and 7th innings giving up around 3 runs, not 5 or 6.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year's squad got to the WC (play-in) game with something like 84 starts made by guys with 5+ ERAs. A couple 4.7s and maybe they're hosting the WC game. Some 4.5s and maybe they're not even worrying about the WC game. Then of course Buck left their fate in the hands of one of those atrocious starters in extra innings instead of his all-world record setting closer. But I digress...

It's striking how bad this starting core has been overall.

Edited by Ravens2006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ravens2006 said:

Last year's squad got to the WC (play-in) game with something like 84 starts made by guys with 5+ ERAs. A couple 4.7s and maybe they're hosting the WC game. Some 4.5s and maybe they're not even worrying about the WC game. Then of course Buck left their fate in the hands of one of those atrocious starters in extra innings instead of his all-world record setting closer. But I digress...

It's striking how bad this starting core has been overall.

You really need to let that WC game/Britton on the pine go. It's eating you up inside.

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

His first three years he looked like he would develop into a #1 or #2, after that not so much.   2013-5.17, 2014-4.52, 2015-4.62, 2016-3.71, 2017-5.15 (6.55 w/Baltimore).   That's the definition of mediocre, imo.  By comparison, UJ was 4.81 in 2014 and 4.11 in 2015, now 6.85 in 2017.  I don't see a ton of difference considering Hellickson pitched 2015, 2016 and part of 2017 in the NL where era's are slightly lower because there is no DH.   If the Orioles want to keep being a team around .500, then he was a good fit.  If they want to ascend to a more competitive level they need to bring in starters who can pitch into the 6th and 7th innings giving up around 3 runs, not 5 or 6.  

I never considered Hellickson a #1 or # 2 but rather a back end starter to add some stability there. He so far has been mostly awful pitching for the Orioles, but I have more faith in him getting some quality innings than I do Jimenez. And at the time the Orioles traded for him I did scratch my head - not because I thought he was not a good pitcher, but it seemed pointless at that point. Now that the Orioles have an outside chance for postseason I'm not feeling that he was a pointless acquisition. The twist here is that it may be up to how well he does from this point out that determines the Orioles fate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

I never considered Hellickson a #1 or # 2 but rather a back end starter to add some stability there. He so far has been mostly awful pitching for the Orioles, but I have more faith in him getting some quality innings than I do Jimenez. And at the time the Orioles traded for him I did scratch my head - not because I thought he was not a good pitcher, but it seemed pointless at that point. Now that the Orioles have an outside chance for postseason I'm not feeling that he was a pointless acquisition. The twist here is that it may be up to how well he does from this point out that determines the Orioles fate.

Agree 100%. (And the sleeper of the whole deadline trade has been Beckham. Not flawless in the field, but good enough. And his speed and bat have totally rejuvenated the offense.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Going to the game tonight 

OCF beat me there lol

I'm faster than I look.

:D

(Make sure you have a designated driver!!! Especially since you're the designated drinker.)

;)

Edited by OriginalColtsFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

I'm faster than I look.

:D

(Make sure you have a designated driver!!! Especially since you're the designated drinker.)

;)

Lol ill have one of the little ones trained to drive by the time you get there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Lol ill have one of the little ones trained to drive by the time you get there

As long as their feet reach the pedals!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, OriginalColtsFan said:

As long as their feet reach the pedals!!

Lol im still working on putting shoes on the right feet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

Typical 2017 Orioles.  Sweep Boston and Seattle who are both in the playoff picture, then give up 11 runs to one of the worst offensive teams in the league.

Speaks wonders about our pitching staff, doesn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0