Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Calamari

Video shows Utah nurse screaming, being dragged into police car after refusing to let officer take blood from unconscious victim

175 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, can you hear me now! said:

my mistakes don't involve violating the US Constitution by performing illegal searches and seizures.....as a LEO, he ought to know the laws regarding blood draws....if he "forgot" then the PD is justified in letting him go.....nurses shouldn't know more about the law than a LEO...it's that simple....using your logic, if he shot her dead, it was only a mistake....

Are you a LEO? 

13 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

Are you a LEO? 

nope, but my job has a lot to do with the 4th Amendment...how about you?

18 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

I agree however it would take several hundred years to pay for a cop's vacation on your portion of taxes that are "paid". 

Yeah right.

On 9/8/2017 at 7:02 PM, AugusteDupin said:

Detaining her is not an arrest if he released her without charging her criminally. There is a difference. Know it, if you're going to throw the term "legal standpoint" around. 

I am saying that by simply detaining her it demonstrates his attempt to obstruct her from doing her job. He was showing my contempt for the law.

8 hours ago, AugusteDupin said:

Make of this what you will... your little "$0.02" tax contribution is literally pennies.

Doesn't matter, they should not be given a paid vacation for doing something wrong.

2 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

Doesn't matter, they should not be given a paid vacation for doing something wrong.

If its in the labor deal, what can you do.

2 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

This a pretty common practice. Could be a Union agreement. Could be they are covering their *** in case an investigation determines he did nothing wrong. It looks obvious from the short video, but there may be 'mitigating factors'. It always amazes me how many cops get away with shooting people.  

1 hour ago, stevez51 said:

If its in the labor deal, what can you do.

53 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

This a pretty common practice. Could be a Union agreement. Could be they are covering their *** in case an investigation determines he did nothing wrong. It looks obvious from the short video, but there may be 'mitigating factors'. It always amazes me how many cops get away with shooting people.  

If it is in the Union agreement/labor deal saying that if they are accused of doing something wrong, they get paid vacation, the city/state/county need better negotiators. 

Just now, mrsmlh said:

If it is in the Union agreement/labor deal saying that if they are accused of doing something wrong, they get paid vacation, the city/state/county need better negotiators. 

Have you ever been accused of doing something you didn't do?

15 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Good luck on govt employees ......

17 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

Have you ever been accused of doing something you didn't do?

Only on here. :lol:

I can understand sometimes a paid vacation while they investigate may be okay but when there is video and witnesses, etc. plainly showing the cop is in the wrong and he gets paid vacation while they investigate months on end is just wrong in my book.

3 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

Good luck on govt employees ......

I can dream, can't I. :D

Just now, mrsmlh said:

Only on here. :lol:

I can understand sometimes a paid vacation while they investigate may be okay but when there is video and witnesses, etc. plainly showing the cop is in the wrong and he gets paid vacation while they investigate months on end is just wrong in my book.

That's cool. I'm just saying the immediate dismissal of the guy may have been more costly in the long run than the route they are taking now.

3 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

That's cool. I'm just saying the immediate dismissal of the guy may have been more costly in the long run than the route they are taking now.

Sometimes I don't think immediate dismissal is right either.  Sometimes they should be suspended without pay while an investigation goes on

2 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Sometimes I don't think immediate dismissal is right either.  Sometimes they should be suspended without pay while an investigation goes on

In some cases they are ......

7 minutes ago, stevez51 said:

In some cases they are ......

Maybe, I just don't remember ever seeing one, but then again, I don't see every incident only the highly publicized ones.

12 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

That's still a risk. What if the investigation doesn't rule in favor of the department?

1 minute ago, FatBoy said:

That's still a risk. What if the investigation doesn't rule in favor of the department?

There will always be a risk to either the department or the cop.

10 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

Sometimes they don't get "paid vacations" as you call it. Sometimes they get placed in the penalty box without getting paid and usually, it's for a year or more. Can you live for a year or more without getting paid? Can you take care of your family without getting paid for a year or more? Do you know that there are times when faux allegations are made against an Officer which causes him / her to get suspended without pay? Trust me, if a cop was proven to be corrupt and dishonored his / her badge then he/ she deserves to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. 

5 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

Sometimes they don't get "paid vacations" as you call it. Sometimes they get placed in the penalty box without getting paid and usually, it's for a year or more. Can you live for a year or more without getting paid? Can you take care of your family without getting paid for a year or more? Do you know that there are times when faux allegations are made against an Officer which causes him / her to get suspended without pay? Trust me, if a cop was proven to be corrupt and dishonored his / her badge then he/ she deserves to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. 

IMO a cop getting a paid vacation while his department investigates him happens way more often than a cop being suspended without pay and it's your opinion that I'm wrong so we will have to agree to disagree as neither of our opinions is going to change the mind of the other.

25 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

IMO a cop getting a paid vacation while his department investigates him happens way more often than a cop being suspended without pay and it's your opinion that I'm wrong so we will have to agree to disagree as neither of our opinions is going to change the mind of the other.

I didnt say you were wrong. I'm just pointing out that you should have an open mind and stop being naive to certain things that you have no control over. 

1 minute ago, AugusteDupin said:

I didnt say you were wrong. I'm just pointing out that you should have an open mind and stop being naive to certain things that you have no control over. 

The problem is that I am seeing it as how a lot non-police officer related people see it.   You are probably seeing it from the eyes of a law enforcement person or friend.   The average person on the street who doesn't have much if any interaction with the cops only sees what is broadcast and that is that cops who do wrong get put on paid leave while their department investigates them.    You didn't like me saying that the cops get paid vacation so what is the difference between paid leave and paid vacation?

6 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

The problem is that I am seeing it as how a lot non-police officer related people see it.   You are probably seeing it from the eyes of a law enforcement person or friend.   The average person on the street who doesn't have much if any interaction with the cops only sees what is broadcast and that is that cops who do wrong get put on paid leave while their department investigates them.    You didn't like me saying that the cops get paid vacation so what is the difference between paid leave and paid vacation?

My point exactly...I practice law so I am and will comment on things pertaining to the law. I'm not a doctor, so you won't see me making comments about medicine, how to perform surgery, what should happen to doctors if they make a mistake on the operating table or anything that pertains to their day to day operations. You know why? Because I don't practice medicine. Just curious, what do you do for a living? I don't expect you to understand the ins and outs of the law. Most people watch law and order and all of sudden they have attained a law degree overnight and believe they can interpret the law. 

There really is no difference between paid leave or paid vacation. Cops accrue leave / vacation by coming to work every day just like everyone else. They dont get their leave because "tax payers" are chipping in their 0.02. 

1 hour ago, AugusteDupin said:

My point exactly...I practice law so I am and will comment on things pertaining to the law. I'm not a doctor, so you won't see me making comments about medicine, how to perform surgery, what should happen to doctors if they make a mistake on the operating table or anything that pertains to their day to day operations. You know why? Because I don't practice medicine. Just curious, what do you do for a living? I don't expect you to understand the ins and outs of the law. Most people watch law and order and all of sudden they have attained a law degree overnight and believe they can interpret the law. 

There really is no difference between paid leave or paid vacation. Cops accrue leave / vacation by coming to work every day just like everyone else. They dont get their leave because "tax payers" are chipping in their 0.02. 

Actually I was a legal secretary for 30 years.  The attorneys I worked for did mainly family law - adoptions, divorce, separation agreements, etc.  They did do some criminal (dui, petty theft type stuff) so I would see the interaction with police from the defendant's point of view.  

When the cop is put on paid leave during an investigation, does it use up his earned leave/vacation time?

Edited by mrsmlh