Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGuru

Franklin QB vs Calvert Hall Game Managers

26 posts in this topic

Last season I called for Calvert Hall's HC to start SO dual threat QB, Emmett Avery II, from day 1 of summer practice.  The 100 win HC hemmed and hawed all season starting all-milk carton team QB Ben Brooks, mixing in Avery and freshman lacrosse phenom, Cole Herbert, when it was clear (with my eyes) that Avery gave his team the best chance to win.  

The camel's back was broken on Thanksgiving Day when Brooks had an uncharacteristically "good game" against a terrible Loyola Dons team. Avery was relegated to a late 4th Q appearance in which he would have scored on a long TD pass if not for Cole Herbert (if I remember correctly) dropping the ball in the end zone.  This outright slight led to Avery transfrerring to Franklin HS and taking over the reins of the two-time state championship team in Reisterstown this season.

Fast forward to last Saturday, August 26th.  I sat in the stands and watched CHC against schedule win stuffer Silver Oak expecting CHC's QBs to have a field day.  

I don't know who started at QB because the team provided no rosters at the front gate and the Calvert Hall Football website and Max Preps were no help.  It didn't matter because the guy behind the center, either Herbert or SO Mike Campbell threw the ball in the dirt, into the sidelines and behind or over the head of his receivers all first half.

Luckily CHC's defense scored twice on a fumble recovery in the end zone and a 100 yd INT return.  The Cardinals RBs also scored 3 times and the PK hit at 27 yd FG.  

I found out later that QB Mike Campbell score on a 35 yd TD run to end the scoring in the 45-0 Calvert Hall win.

Last night, Emmett Avery II and his Franklin teammates opened their season with a 52-0 win over Woodlawn.  Avery threw for a TD and ran for two more scores for a total of three TDs.  

So as the season goes on, this thread will chronicle the peerformances of both teams QBs to see if CHCs HC should have given Avery assurances that he would be the starter this season based on what he & Herbert accomplished last season.  

So, the following scoreboard will come up after every game this season:

Franklin's Emmett Avery:  3 TDs    (1 passing, 2 rushing)

CHC's Cole Herbert:  0 TDs

Mike Campbell:  1 TD                    (1 rushing)      

ADVANTAGE:  Avery                   

Calvert Hall's QBs have a seemingly easy game against Dundalk tonight in Towson.  They may be able to make up some ground on Avery.  Both teams have ridiculously tough games coming next week with Calvert Hall traveling to Wise HS next Friday night at 7pm and Franklin taking on the State's #2 team, DeMatha, in Hyattsville at 4pm.

CHC's special teams and defense scored their first & third TDs of the season on a blocked punt for TD and a 62 yd INT return for a TD.  The Cardinals RBs scored twice and both QBs scored in the 42-7 blowout of the Dundalk Owls.  Cole Herbert scored on a 1 yd TD run and Mike Campbell threw a 5 yd TD pass.  

Updated scoreboard for 9/2/17:

Franklin's Emmett Avery:  3 TDs    (1 passing, 2 rushing)

CHC's Cole Herbert:  1 TD                  (1 rushing)

Mike Campbell:  2 TDs                   (1 rushing, 1 passing)      

ADVANTAGE:  Still Avery    

Avery got his TDs in one game.  It took CHC'a QBs two games to match their former schoolmate's totals so far.  The old coaching adage goes, "If you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one!"  CHC will have to pick one QB to handle the load against Wise next weekend.  Alternating the two might be disastrous. Looking forward to see if either  QB can grab the position permanently.     

Edited by TheGuru

This might be the funniest topic ever on here. I want to see if you do the whole season. 

Guru we've had some battles on here all in fun but your so right on this topic . Was on my way to have some drinks and the football junkie I am stopped on Lasalle Rd and watched your Cardinals play and boy was I not impressed. The quarterbacks yall have are C to D rated players and will be exposed next when they come down my neck of the woods . Number 1 from last year is clearly better than both your quarterbacks combined I still have yall finishing 4 th in the league though 

9 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

This might be the funniest topic ever on here. I want to see if you do the whole season. 

I will.  Should be an interesting season for both teams.

9 hours ago, GOOCH said:

Guru we've had some battles on here all in fun but your so right on this topic . Was on my way to have some drinks and the football junkie I am stopped on Lasalle Rd and watched your Cardinals play and boy was I not impressed. The quarterbacks yall have are C to D rated players and will be exposed next when they come down my neck of the woods . Number 1 from last year is clearly better than both your quarterbacks combined I still have yall finishing 4 th in the league though 

Quarterback is the most glaring weakness on the Calvert Hall team and it didn't have to be this way.  Both teams have their most difficult contests of the season on Friday night so the scoreboard will likely remain static but we will see.

22 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

Quarterback is the most glaring weakness on the Calvert Hall team and it didn't have to be this way.  Both teams have their most difficult contests of the season on Friday night so the scoreboard will likely remain static but we will see.

Wise isn't CHC's most difficult contest! Have you forgot about SFA? Hell, McDonogh and Spalding will be more difficult. That being said, Wise will probably best them down. 

18 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Wise isn't CHC's most difficult contest! Have you forgot about SFA? Hell, McDonogh and Spalding will be more difficult. That being said, Wise will probably best them down. 

CHC knows SFA. Played them tougher than any MIAA school last season.  Wise is the great unknown. 

57 42 48 40 54 37 44 38 43 35 40 61 50 49 55 37 33 42 40 35 44 41 42 42 44 43 73 19......These are Wise's scoring over the last two seasons and most recent win.  I suspect teams average scoring in single digits.  There is no CHC body of work over the last two seasons and games played so far this season to indicate it's fate will be any different than the other teams who had 40-plus dropped on them.  And things would be pretty much the same for McDonogh and Spalding going up against The Pumas.

Prove The DayWalker wrong this coming weekend.....

Wise wins 35 to 0 that C Hall QB situation is bad and I mean real bad to the point that their defense will be on the field a lot 

2 hours ago, TheGuru said:

CHC knows SFA. Played them tougher than any MIAA school last season.  Wise is the great unknown. 

How do you figure?  SFA 14-0 over CHC. SFA 32-29 over Spalding, and SFA 28-26 over Loyola  had to block field goal to win. 

15 minutes ago, jbmad said:

How do you figure?  SFA 14-0 over CHC. SFA 32-29 over Spalding, and SFA 28-26 over Loyola  had to block field goal to win. 

Loyola might have played them tougher, but SFA were blowing Spalding out. They made a run at the end, but they didn't play them tougher than CHC. 

CHC traveled to Upper Marlboro last Friday night to take on the Pumas of Wise HS.  Fans weren't even comfortably seated before Wise took the opening kickoff about 88 yds for the opening score. The 2pt conversion was good and Wise led 8-0.  

CHC scored on a well thrown 81 yd TD pass from backup #18 to WR #1. PAT was good. Wise led 8-7.  

Wise scored in the second quarter on a 44 yd TD pass and the PAT was good.  Wise went up 15-7.

CHC pulled within two points after #24 ran 89 yds for the score in the 3rd quarter.  A questionable excessive celebration penalty knocked the 2pt conversion attempt back to the 7yd line after which #18 underthrew a wide open WR in the back of the end zone. 2pt conversion was no good.  Wise 15-13.

After that score both defenses took control of the game.  Both team had about 61 plays.  Wise had 14 possessions with 5 turnovers on downs, 3 punts, 3 turnovers, 10 penalties and 2 sacks.  CHC had 13 possessions with 3 turnover on downs, 5 punts, 3 turnovers, 4 penalties and 1 sack.

It was an entertaining game but CHC's starting QB #10 only played a few possessions and backup #18's mistakes compounded already suspect offensive playcalling.

Updated scoreboard for 9/8/17:

Franklin's Emmett Avery:  No scores vs DeMatha in shutout loss to state's #2 team but 60 yds rushing and 7-16 & 75 yds passing (1 TD passing, 2TDs rushing)

CHC's #10 Cole Herbert: no scores (1 TD rushing)

CHC's #18 Mike Campbell:  1 TD pass (2 TDs passing, 1 TD rushing)

ADVANTAGE: Still Avery

Avery played a superior team and still accumulated more yds than both CHC QBs did in a closer game. #10 was uneffective for the short time he was in the game. #18 underthrew and overthrew receivers all game including on a 2pt conversion, took a crucial sack late in the game and overthrew the receiver for the game ending interception by Wise.

Next up for CHC at home is Riverdale Baptist on Friday at 7pm.

Franklin travels to Smyrna, DE to take on the state champion Eagles on Friday at 7pm.

Edited by TheGuru

On 9/3/2017 at 11:01 AM, GOOCH said:

Wise wins 35 to 0 that C Hall QB situation is bad and I mean real bad to the point that their defense will be on the field a lot 

CHC's defense is legitimate. They played well enough to win if they'd  have gotten help from the OC and his QBs. CHC held Wise to their lowest offensive output in their last 30 games.  Less than Eleanor Roosevelt, Northwest, Howard & Quince Orchard. Wise used their experience to eek out the win.

That was only the second time in the 30 game streak that the Pumas scored less than 33 points in a game. The only other game the Pumas scored less than 33 points was to Douglass, in week 1 of '15, the game the streak began. In other words, it was the first time in 29 games a team held the Pumas to less than 33 points.

3 hours ago, themamba said:

That was only the second time in the 30 game streak that the Pumas scored less than 33 points in a game. The only other game the Pumas scored less than 33 points was to Douglass, in week 1 of '15, the game the streak began. In other words, it was the first time in 29 games a team held the Pumas to less than 33 points.

In other other words, it was 29 games since Jabari Laws wasn't the QB of a very learned prolific option attack and Wise change to a 6' 3" passer and new spread offense that just didn't look typical Wise.  Looks like game action working out the new scheme.  Down the road issue could be OOC playoff teams will be more use to defending the spread than they were dealing with the option, maybe....

Those other words add up to a key addendum. Laws and that option were a problem on a scale we won't be using this year. Almost impossible to replace a QB who finished his career winning 32 of 33 games as a starter, winning back-to-back state titles, accounting for 92 touchdowns in his 3-year career, with 52 of them coming last season. This unit will be a work in progress, but one that has a huge opportunity for growth. As a DC this year, you have to believe you have as good of chance of stopping the Pumas as any you've had since 2014. The time is now.

And to drive it home as Parrish says below, this is the first time he has had a QB I will paraphrase to say who could see over a school desk and Parrish seem to me has changed what he has done for 11/12 years.  Wise QBs before Jabari like Black produced by the kids grew up playing The U option with a spread flavor but now it's straight up play much like others around the state.  To me, Fort Hill is so successful because it's hard to teach a team of kids ( not individuals ) to defend a well run wing-T in four/five days.

10 hours ago, TheGuru said:

CHC's defense is legitimate. They played well enough to win if they'd  have gotten help from the OC and his QBs. CHC held Wise to their lowest offensive output in their last 30 games.  Less than Eleanor Roosevelt, Northwest, Howard & Quince Orchard. Wise used their experience to eek out the win.

I agree and was clearly wrong about Wise I watched  the tape and can honestly say C Hall OC lost that game for them . The mediocrity at the quarterback position will be there all year and I'm sure DD is kicking himself in the *** for letting the young fella from last year walk out the door . 

35 minutes ago, DayWalker said:

And to drive it home as Parrish says below, this is the first time he has had a QB I will paraphrase to say who could see over a school desk and Parrish seem to me has changed what he has done for 11/12 years.  Wise QBs before Jabari like Black produced by the kids grew up playing The U option with a spread flavor but now it's straight up play much like others around the state.  To me, Fort Hill is so successful because it's hard to teach a team of kids ( not individuals ) to defend a well run wing-T in four/five days.

Agreed.  Saw it first hand this year.  A well-run Wing-T Scheme is tough to defend if you have cat's that can run it effectively, mixed in with some athletes that can run the ball, a line that can move,  and you have a short time to prepare for defending it.  However, the mere fact that you actually played a CHALLENGING Game will enable you the opportunity to look at your mistakes and be better prepared to not make those same mistakes should you see that style of offense again.  Specifically, when it's 💰time.  The 🔑 is making sure that you play CHALLENGING AND MEANINGFUL GAMES early to prepare you for later.

On Friday night, CHC played a surprisingly inept  and inferior Riverdale Baptist Crusaders team trying to beat the Cardinals for a second year in a row.

Calvert Hall booster, George VII, tried to throw shade on this thread by posting about CHC's Jr QB #18 and his 40 yd or so TD pass to WR #1.  He reveled in how my "game manager", #18, almost threw another TD that a wide open #1 dropped prior to that.  

I like George VII's posts.  He has insights into the program that I know longer have.  However, I think he now realizes that #18 is a high school version of the 2000 Baltimore Ravens' Trent Dilfer.  #18 is a serviceable QB that is a beneficiary of a very good defense and good special teams (once they replaced slow players for faster athletes). 

Fellow Cardinals QB #10 was pulled so fast from the Wise game last week that some on the board thought he was injured.  Word is that #10 can't remember plays and that he froze in the huddle against Wise precipitating a quick hook from the game.  

#10 showed some heart and toughness by getting some reps at WR and contributing to his team's victory over RBS.  I guess some recent proponents of two-sport athletes ( especially lacrosse playing footballers) on this board were wrong in this individual case.

CHC won Friday night but so did Franklin against the Smyrna Eagles, 38-28.  Ex-CHC QB Emmett Avery led the Indians and threw  79 yd TD pass in the 1st Quarter to bring his team within a point of Smyrna, 8-7.  

Avery would finish 5-6 for 115 yds passing and a TD and 3 rushes for 25 yds before being knocked out of the game on a late hit at least two yds out of bounds early in the 2nd quarter.  No flag was thrown on the play.

Franklin's backup QB led his team to a FG, TD passes of 37, 58 & 36 yds and a teammate's rushing TD to beat the two time defending DE Division I champions.

Updated Scoreboard: 

Franklin's Emmett Avery: 1 TD pass (2 TDs passing, 2 TDs rushing)

CHC's #10 Cole Herbert: no scores (1 TD rushing)

CHC's #18 Mike Campbell:  1 TD pass (3 TDs passing, 1 TD rushing)

Advantage: Avery got things started for Franklin and clearly was in control against a more talented team than RBS before his injury.  CHC also proved that #10 is no longer under consideration as a starter at QB no matter how either CHC QBs plays against SFA.

Due to the injury mentioned above, this thread will be on hiatus pending the return of Franklin's dual purpose QB.

Edited by TheGuru

Do you still have any of those t-shirts with his picture on them! Your a Good Father for posting this Garbage!

6 minutes ago, OldGator said:

Do you still have any of those t-shirts with his picture on them! Your a Good Father for posting this Garbage!

I'm not his father, Idiot.  Just a CHC grad and father of a grad and uncle of a future grad. I'm used to the politics at CHC and not afraid to call it out.  Too bad if you don't like it.  I don't GAF if you know what I mean?  If you ever want to meet me, PM me and we can meet at the SFA/CHC game.

Edited by TheGuru

The CHC vs SFA will be a blowout.  Don't see anyone putting up double digits on that Defense.