Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

Baltimore Sun: Hurricane Irma now a Category 5 storm; South Florida urgently needs to prepare

193 posts in this topic

Concerned about poor Haiti and Puerto Rico at the moment. Models are currently showing them taking a direct hit.

From an article in the Washington Post:

The East Coast, including the Carolinas and the Delmarva Peninsula, are also potential candidates for landfall — or, at the very least, heavy rain, strong winds and coastal flooding.

1 hour ago, KSweeley said:

The Baltimore Sun at 8 AM EDT this morning, September 5th published an article with the headline that South Florida "urgently needs to prepare" for Hurricane Irma which just became a Category 5 hurricane: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/fl-reg-hurricane-irma-tuesday-20170905-story.html

Watching my friends down in the BVI's.  They're still not back to normal after very heavy tropical rains a couple weeks ago.  This one has potential for unbelievable devastation.  Some of the forecast numbers have been incredibly high....wind speed, rainfall, and tidal surge.

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

Concerned about poor Haiti and Puerto Rico at the moment. Models are currently showing them taking a direct hit.

Most homes and buildings are made of concrete and rebar here in Puerto Rico so we should be able to hunker down safely. Loss of power and water will be our biggest issue. I have a generator and a 650 gallon cistern. My concern is flooding since we live in a low area near the beach. The SUV will be ready to go in case the flooding begins and we can run to the high ground. 

1 minute ago, flyboy56 said:

Most homes and buildings are made of concrete and rebar here in Puerto Rico so we should be able to hunker down safely. Loss of power and water will be our biggest issue. I have a generator and a 650 gallon cistern. My concern is flooding since we live in a low area near the beach. The SUV will be ready to go in case the flooding begins and we can run to the high ground. 

Be safe.

1 hour ago, soulflower said:

Remember kids. Climate Change is a hoax

Very good.

45 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

What ....WHAT? You live in PR. My God....are b-ken and I the only ones that actually live in this state? :lol:

Kidding aside. I wish you good luck! And I mean that!

Edited by Guido2

48 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Get the hell out of Dodge before it gets really bad and keep us advised.

Just now, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Get the hell out of Dodge before it gets really bad and keep us advised.

I will stay connected for as long as I can. Thanks for your concern MOTR. 

5 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

What ....WHAT? You live in PR. My God....are b-ken and I the only ones that actually live in this state? :lol:

Kidding aside. I wish you good luck! And I mean that!

Thanks. 

Meanwhile, back with Irma....185mph sustained winds

5 minutes ago, Norman said:

Meanwhile, back with Irma....185mph sustained winds

I'm worried about friends who live in PR and FL.  

Just now, mrsmlh said:

I'm worried about friends who live in PR and FL.  

My sisters husbands family is pretty much ALL down in FL or near there. My side of the family is pretty much still in NJ or dead.

I've been watching Irma on satellite. Holy mackeral is she huge -- well formed -- and huge!

1 minute ago, Sprightly said:

I've been watching Irma on satellite. Holy mackeral is she huge -- well formed -- and huge!

As far as storms go this one is one of the most impressive I've seen.  I've never seen a storm look so well formed on radar like that.  And yeah, it's a massive storm

5 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

As far as storms go this one is one of the most impressive I've seen.  I've never seen a storm look so well formed on radar like that.  And yeah, it's a massive storm

It's amazing to see, isn't it? So tightly formed. I'm just stunned. I'm not a religious person but I may break with all that and pray for the safety of those in Irma's path. 

From the International Space Station:

https://www.space.com/38043-hurricane-irma-satellite-images-approaching-caribbean.html

Edited by Sprightly

4 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

Stay safe. Best to err on the side of caution. A monster of a storm.

Just now, naive said:

Stay safe. Best to err on the side of caution. A monster of a storm.

Thanks naive. It's truly scary looking at a storm that dwarfs the island we live on. I won't be sleeping much the next couple of days and if the water starts to rise we'll be gone to higher ground. 

13 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Hurricane Andrew looked a lot like Irma. 

1 minute ago, flyboy56 said:

Thanks naive. It's truly scary looking at a storm that dwarfs the island we live on. I won't be sleeping much the next couple of days and if the water starts to rise we'll be gone to higher ground. 

Scary stuff, I'm sure. Do you at least have a hotel room booked or shelter you can get to? Water can come up real fast. Heed all warnings. Hopefully it stays a bit North. 

Just now, flyboy56 said:

Hurricane Andrew looked a lot like Irma. 

Ugh... that's not a good sign :(

Never mind. I just looked it up. Andrew. :(

Edited by Sprightly