Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

Baltimore Sun: Hurricane Irma now a Category 5 storm; South Florida urgently needs to prepare

193 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Never mind. I just looked it up. Andrew. :(

Scary huh?! 

Edited by flyboy56

2 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Ugh... that's not a good sign :(

No it's not. And Irma is only going to travel towards warmer waters as it nears Florida. And let's not mention Hurricane Jose yet.

Just now, flyboy56 said:

Scary huh?! 0

That's the one that ended up with some animals escaping from an Animal Adventure Park in Florida where I worked at one time. Devastating storm.

14 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Thanks naive. It's truly scary looking at a storm that dwarfs the island we live on. I won't be sleeping much the next couple of days and if the water starts to rise we'll be gone to higher ground. 

That is one ugly storm flyboy and the weather guessers are saying TS force winds in PR tomorrow morning for breakfast.  Time to go.

20 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Thanks naive. It's truly scary looking at a storm that dwarfs the island we live on. I won't be sleeping much the next couple of days and if the water starts to rise we'll be gone to higher ground. 

Stay safe.  Don't wait to long, water tends to rise up quickly.

3 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Stay safe.  Don't wait to long, water tends to rise up quickly.

No worries there. We live on the west side of the island so we are somewhat protected from surging but I will stay vigilant because you really never know. Thanks

mrs mlh for your concern.

9 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

That is one ugly storm flyboy and the weather guessers are saying TS force winds in PR tomorrow morning for breakfast.  Time to go.

Winds are not an issue since most homes here are made of concrete and rebar. We will be watching for flooding as we live in a low area. But we are on the west side of the island and somewhat protected from storm surging. We have a generator and plenty of water and a freezer full of food. Might be doing lots of outdoor grilling. 

19 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

That's the one that ended up with some animals escaping from an Animal Adventure Park in Florida where I worked at one time. Devastating storm.

So you lived near Homestead at one time? 

31 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

So you lived near Homestead at one time? 

I was born in Homestead. At the Airforce base. :) And lived in Ft. Lauderdale and Naples.

4 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

I was born in Homestead. At the Airforce base. :) And lived in Ft. Lauderdale and Naples.

It's nice to meet another military brat. My dad did 18 years in the Air Force and 12 in the Army. He was still in the military when I graduated HS in Pusan, Korea. 

Edited by flyboy56

36 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

I spent 3 and a half years at homestead during the 70's when in the air force.  Could barely recognize the place after andrew went through.  I wasn't there then.

Homestead AFB played a very important role during the Cuban Missle Crisis.

Sadly, my place of birth no longer exists.

Edited by Sprightly

1 hour ago, flyboy56 said:

It's nice to meet another military brat. My dad did 18 years in the Air Force and 12 in the Army. He was still in the military when I graduated HS in Pusan, Korea. 

:) Indeed.

from wunderground: "Irma poses the most serious hurricane threat to northern Cuba and Florida since at least Hurricane Andrew (1992)." and " Given...Irma’s Category 5 strength, residents of Florida must take this hurricane with the utmost seriousness. "

folks if you live in fl, this is the real deal. get out.

the latest nhc track:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone#contents

Edited by yeah

Rick Scott seems to be on top of this for Florida.  People really need to take this seriously. No "hurricane parties" in South Florida.

3 hours ago, yeah said:

from wunderground: "Irma poses the most serious hurricane threat to northern Cuba and Florida since at least Hurricane Andrew (1992)." and " Given...Irma’s Category 5 strength, residents of Florida must take this hurricane with the utmost seriousness. "

folks if you live in fl, this is the real deal. get out.

the latest nhc track:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone#contents

St Martin got/getting hammered now.

I have a guy who works with me as a consultant who retired in Ft Myers and I just got off the phone telling him to bug the hell out.

Looks like it's heading right his way and he is still vacillating if he should leave or not.

I told him to come up here with his wife and we will make up a reason for a meeting and he can get paid and bug out. Not that he needs to be paid in order to bug out like some less fortunate.

3 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

I have a guy who works with me as a consultant who retired in Ft Myers and I just got off the phone telling him to bug the hell out.

Looks like it's heading right his way and he is still vacillating if he should leave or not.

I told him to come up here with his wife and we will make up a reason for a meeting and he can get paid and bug out. Not that he needs to be paid in order to bug out like some less fortunate.

A friend of a friend has been posting live from Anguilla where he lives. The last one was one hour ago. The good news; he is able to post. The bad news; it looks horrific.

6 minutes ago, yeah said:

one of the only live cams that still seems to be working (for now) in st croix.  *really* starting to pick up there now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q2CzQclKQc

It's supposed to be centered just about over Road Town in Tortola very soon.  I've heard some bad reports from ST John already and that was from the leading edge.

8 minutes ago, Norman said:

It's supposed to be centered just about over Road Town in Tortola very soon.  I've heard some bad reports from ST John already and that was from the leading edge.

when you look at the track from the nhc, the sheer amount of islands/land/ppl potentially affected over the next several days is outrageous.  and all potentially at a cat 4/5 level.  watching that cam i posted over time, you think, ah theres no way it can worsen, and it continues to do just that.  i dont expect the cam to last too much longer, most of the others have gone dark already.

24 minutes ago, yeah said:

when you look at the track from the nhc, the sheer amount of islands/land/ppl potentially affected over the next several days is outrageous.  and all potentially at a cat 4/5 level.  watching that cam i posted over time, you think, ah theres no way it can worsen, and it continues to do just that.  i dont expect the cam to last too much longer, most of the others have gone dark already.

I've been watching that cam on and off wondering which boat is going to let go first.  Granted this is a bit further south from the center...  I've got a friend with a big cat in the charter business down there; he's got it in a hurricane hole on St John...but yesterday he posted a video showing the 4 anchors he's got out and how they're distributed.  Just a bit more secure than the boats on this cam. He's been checking in with his SPOT tracker.

Edited by Norman

I planted a seed in my dad's head via email last night that they were welcome to up here in Baltimore for a few days while the storm blows through (they're in Palm Beach Gardens, FL). 

Thankfully this AM he took me up on that offer. I just booked him a hotel room in Florence, SC (Days Inn (sorry, Dad!)). They'll be up here tomorrow.