Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

Baltimore Sun: Hurricane Irma now a Category 5 storm; South Florida urgently needs to prepare

193 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, yeah said:

one of the only live cams that still seems to be working (for now) in st croix.  *really* starting to pick up there now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q2CzQclKQc

Thanks for the link. I was just watching it and saw one boat go under with the mast only showing (to the right).

20 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

Winds are not an issue since most homes here are made of concrete and rebar. We will be watching for flooding as we live in a low area. But we are on the west side of the island and somewhat protected from storm surging. We have a generator and plenty of water and a freezer full of food. Might be doing lots of outdoor grilling. 

Some here will mock this, but prayers for you and yours dude.  Hope you're safe.

47 minutes ago, Norman said:

I've been watching that cam on and off wondering which boat is going to let go first.  Granted this is a bit further south from the center...  I've got a friend with a big cat in the charter business down there; he's got it in a hurricane hole on St John...but yesterday he posted a video showing the 4 anchors he's got out and how they're distributed.  Just a bit more secure than the boats on this cam. He's been checking in with his SPOT tracker.

ive been searching for some more cams closer to the path but theyre all dark at this point.  ive seen some vids of ppl hunkering thru the storm as of this morning as it plows over them and its incredibly intense.  palm trees almost bent in half in one direction.  if someone has never seen 160mph+ winds, its other worldly.

duplicate

Edited by yeah
duplicate

24 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Some here will mock this, but prayers for you and yours dude.  Hope you're safe.

You won't hear me mocking your prayers. Thanks MOTR for your concern. 

10 minutes ago, yeah said:

ive been searching for some more cams closer to the path but theyre all dark at this point.  ive seen some vids of ppl hunkering thru the storm as of this morning as it plows over them and its incredibly intense.  palm trees almost bent in half in one direction.  if someone has never seen 160mph+ winds, its other worldly.

I know in the BVI's they pretty much shut down the grid earlier this morning except for some underground lines to the hospital and such.  I did just see a couple pics of Road Town while the eye was passing over.  

6 minutes ago, Norman said:

I know in the BVI's they pretty much shut down the grid earlier this morning except for some underground lines to the hospital and such.  I did just see a couple pics of Road Town while the eye was passing over.  

The BVI is pretty good about shutting off the electrical grid just before the storm hits for obvious safety reasons. They laugh at the USVI they can see off in the distance with all the bright lights still on while getting hammered with the storm. It really is stupid to keep the power on. 

Edited by flyboy56

Here's a site where you can see some of the BVI pics (not Facebook).  The most amazing one (to me) is of the hurricane hole where they stash a lot of the charter boats on Tortola.  This morning they were rafted/lined up and prepped the best the could...now they're just a mashed up mess

.  https://bvinewbie.com/bvi-live-cams/

Video from Road Town looking at it come into the harbor....

Roadtown is flat as a pancake and only a few feet above sea level. 

I just read that the eye is passing and the second band is arriving. Saw some photos -- wow.

Jose and Katia are now hurricanes in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico, respectively.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/06/jose-becomes-a-hurricane-is-quickly-strengthening-nhc-says.html

Two tropical storms intensified and were designated hurricanes Wednesday afternoon, said the National Hurricane Center.  Jose is located in the Atlantic while Katia is in the Gulf of Mexico. That means there are three hurricanes currently being tracked in the Atlantic.

Jose is moving west-northwest and maximum sustained winds have increased to near 75 miles per hour with higher gusts, according to a public advisory from the NHC. The storm is expected to strengthen further and could be close to becoming a major hurricane on Friday. No hurricane watches are yet in effect for Jose, though the NHC did say interests in the Leeward Islands should monitor the storm.

Forecasters expect Katia to begin moving southwest toward the eastern coast of Mexico, according to a public advisory from the NHC. It is forecast to bring torrential rains to the Mexican state of Veracruz, and the Mexican government has issued a hurricane alert for a portion of Veracruz's coast.

Katia is the K name that replaced Katrina and was first used in 2011.

Edited by Baltimatt

4 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

You won't hear me mocking your prayers. Thanks MOTR for your concern. 

Take care, stay safe.

22 minutes ago, songfourone said:

Take care, stay safe.

Thank you Song. 

4 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

The BVI is pretty good about shutting off the electrical grid just before the storm hits for obvious safety reasons. They laugh at the USVI they can see off in the distance with all the bright lights still on while getting hammered with the storm. It really is stupid to keep the power on. 

How's it going?   I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

5 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Thank you Song. 

Was glad to see you still posting!!

:)

Just now, mrsmlh said:

How's it going?   I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

So far so good. We are on the west coast so the storm is still heading our way. Getting rain bands and wind gust up to 26 mph. Still have power and water. We appreciate your prayers mrsmlh. 

Just now, songfourone said:

Was glad to see you still posting!!

:)

Me too. We tend to lose power here even on nice days.  :(

1 minute ago, flyboy56 said:

So far so good. We are on the west coast so the storm is still heading our way. Getting rain bands and wind gust up to 26 mph. Still have power and water. We appreciate your prayers mrsmlh. 

Check in whenever you can because I think a lot of us are worried about you.

2 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Check in whenever you can because I think a lot of us are worried about you.

It's nice to know we have friends out there who care. Thanks. Being on an island there really isn't many places to run to. We've prepared well and will stay vigilant throughout the night. Don't want to wake up to a foot of water in the house. 

3 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Looks like the eye will stay north, clearly a conspiracy! Just kidding, glad you are safe and hope it continues to pass!

9 minutes ago, naive said:

Looks like the eye will stay north, clearly a conspiracy! Just kidding, glad you are safe and hope it continues to pass!

It's a huge storm so no telling what the winds will be when it reaches the west side of the island. But house is built well so no worries about losing the roof, thank goodness. Higher ground is just minutes away if the need arises. Thanks naive for your concern.  

14 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

It's a huge storm so no telling what the winds will be when it reaches the west side of the island. But house is built well so no worries about losing the roof, thank goodness. Higher ground is just minutes away if the need arises. Thanks naive for your concern.  

Thanks for posting, flyboy. 

I've been thinking about you.