Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KSweeley

Baltimore Sun: Hurricane Irma now a Category 5 storm; South Florida urgently needs to prepare

193 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

It looks like Irma is now a Cat 4, and the projected path takes it right up Florida, but then it moves inland.

Reporting now is that Irma will hit Florida as a Category 5.

4 minutes ago, Cameron said:

Thanks, flyboy.

Thank you Cameron. Nice to be back.

4 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Great to hear from you flyboy.  So happy that you didn't get slammed by Irma.

That makes 2 of us mrsmlh.  :) Thanks!

17 minutes ago, flyboy56 said:

Hello Baltimatt. We just got power back and internet service. We were certainly spared what could have been a tragic event as the storm past well north of us. We received rain from the bands and wind gust up to 30 mph. Things are getting back to normal. Thanks for your concern matt. 

Glad to hear.

4 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

Hello Baltimatt. We just got power back and internet service. We were certainly spared what could have been a tragic event as the storm past well north of us. We received rain from the bands and wind gust up to 30 mph. Things are getting back to normal. Thanks for your concern matt. 

Oh that's such great news!! So happy for you. God bless.

Watching the news. I lived in Florida for 12 years. Never seen anything like this. Scared for those folks.

9 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Oh that's such great news!! So happy for you. God bless.

Thank you very much ms maggie.

15 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

Glad to see you safe and sound!

16 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

Welcome back.

My SIL's sister lives in the Keys (Marathon, I think), and she and her sons are staying put. 

Edited by Baltimatt

Now that the forecast of where will be hit has changed, I hope that my friends in Pensacola, Spring Hill, and Clearwater have changed their mind about staying. <sigh>

3 hours ago, songfourone said:

Glad to see you safe and sound!

Thank you song.

1 hour ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Welcome back.

Thanks MOTR. Now where were we on NK? :)

37 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

My SIL's sister lives in the Keys (Marathon, I think), and she and her sons are staying put. 

Do you know matt if they've ever experienced a hurricane, especially one that is a Cat 4?

Just now, flyboy56 said:

Do you know matt if they've ever experienced a hurricane, especially one that is a Cat 4?

I have no idea.  It's my brother's wife's sister, so I really don't have contact with her.

2 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

I have no idea.  It's my brother's wife's sister, so I really don't have contact with her.

I hope they get through it okay matt. 

Edited by flyboy56

1 hour ago, Baltimatt said:

We have relatives (a young couple with two young children, ages 2 and 3 months) who live in Key West. They evacuated three days ago - to Sarasota. Now it looks like Saratsota is going to get a direct hit or close to it, and we have not heard if they have been able to get further north yet. We are hopeful that if they are still in Saratsota they will be able to be in a safe place away from the expected storm surge. Obviously we are very worried about them but are helpless from here in Maryland. So glad flyboy weathered the hit in PR. Hopefully we will hear more good news in a couple of days. 

1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

Now that the forecast of where will be hit has changed, I hope that my friends in Pensacola, Spring Hill, and Clearwater have changed their mind about staying. <sigh>

I imagine it might be too late to evacuate altogether. Better off heading to a local shelter.

Scary.

21 minutes ago, Papi said:

We have relatives (a young couple with two young children, ages 2 and 3 months) who live in Key West. They evacuated three days ago - to Sarasota. Now it looks like Saratsota is going to get a direct hit or close to it, and we have not heard if they have been able to get further north yet. We are hopeful that if they are still in Saratsota they will be able to be in a safe place away from the expected storm surge. Obviously we are very worried about them but are helpless from here in Maryland. So glad flyboy weathered the hit in PR. Hopefully we will hear more good news in a couple of days. 

The helplessness is so hard to take. Hope for the best.

1 hour ago, Baltimatt said:

Aren't they under a mandatory evacution......

I was in the keys in June for 10 days ......

Just think about all the places I was diving, fishing, kayaking, etc and how vulnerable they are .....

Matt, I've been to the turtle hospital in marathon a few times, they have special tanks for hurricanes just hoping they're high enough for this surge .....

I was very happy to see live footage of a deserted Miami. Smart people. 

6 hours ago, flyboy56 said:

I hope they get through it okay matt. 

Good to know you are Ok Flyboy. But you know this goodwill will only last a few days.

Have to give Governor Scott kudos for his handling of this storm thus far.  He seems to be doing everything he can to convince people to go to shelters and is being proactive in planning for post storm issues.